Tipping the Cabin Steward

petnumber1

Hi y'all :) On two previous cruises, the automatic tipping policy had been implemented, so I didn't give our cabin steward an additional cash tip. On our cruise last year, however, we had a Neptune Suite, and our steward (and his assistant) were so amazing and took such great care of us that I really wanted to reward them, and so we gave them an additional tip.

However, I was (and am) clueless about what is a proper amount. An extra $20? $50? I just don't know. Any guidance?

(If I were rich, I would have thrown the guy at least $100 - he was that wonderful. But I'm not, and we're on a budget, so I'm looking for some "average" amounts. :) )

Hi y'all :) On two previous cruises, the automatic tipping policy had been implemented, so I didn't give our cabin steward an additional cash tip. On our cruise last year, however, we had a Neptune Suite, and our steward (and his assistant) were so amazing and took such great care of us that I really wanted to reward them, and so we gave them an additional tip.

However, I was (and am) clueless about what is a proper amount. An extra $20? $50? I just don't know. Any guidance?

(If I were rich, I would have thrown the guy at least $100 - he was that wonderful. But I'm not, and we're on a budget, so I'm looking for some "average" amounts. :) )

This question's answer will vary greatly depending on who you ask. Of course, nothing is required above the auto-grat amounts but if service is excellent many do leave additional tips.

For us, we usually leave an extra $10-$20pp on the last night for great service. We don't sail in suites but I would think a little extra may be warranted for those occasions.

You're not alone. Over the years I've read numerous threads on the same topic. Most people are reluctant to offer an amount. Some use figures in the hundreds of dollars ... whether that's the actual case, I don't know.

I think it's totally an individual thing. I KNOW that the stewards do not expect extra tips and are pleased/surprised when they are received.

My guidelines are along the line of how much did the steward do for us above & beyond? (I use the same guideline to tip the Neptune Concierge).

When the steward spends two hours of his time tracking down a lost laundry order, we tip him more than when we have no special requests or needs during a cruise.

You might consider that the cabin steward's automatic tip is in the $3-4/person/day range ... so if you offer him that amount as an extra, he's going to be well pleased.

Just my 2¢.

We sailed on the Eurodam this past February in one of the Neptune suites. We had such great service that we gave both our cabin stewards $100 each on the last full day. I think any thing that they receive above and beyond the HSC is greatly appreciated by them whether it is $10 or $1000. I would be willing to bet that most guests don't give extra above and beyond the HSC , which is fine , so anything more than that will be appreciated.

I think this is a debatable subject. When Holland America enacted the automatic tipping, we were all to think, gee thanks, we don't have to think about this anymore. Wow, we could forget the envelopes at the last night of the cruise and stress no more! Not really. This took on a life of it's own. Now, everyone is thinking that they should leave more than their account, and some people are thinking that this is just too confusing. My thinking is that you are tipping, every single day, and it's good tipping, so nothing to be ashamed about, so for the most part, if you want to leave well enough alone, so be it. I do. My goodness, so many go on about this, but it's not essential to tip more. Just don't remove the tips that are already in place with your onboard account and you are a good person.:)

We sail in Neptune aft-wraps on our Alaska cruises. I think the HAL stewards are an important part of what make a HAL experience what it is. I have budgeted $100 per steward for room steward tips for our upcoming September cruise. So a possible total of between $100-200. No, I"m not rich either but I think tipping is important and these folks deserve it and I budget for it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I think this is a debatable subject. When Holland America enacted the automatic tipping, we were all to think, gee thanks, we don't have to think about this anymore. Wow, we could forget the envelopes at the last night of the cruise and stress no more! Not really. This took on a life of it's own. Now, everyone is thinking that they should leave more than their account, and some people are thinking that this is just too confusing. My thinking is that you are tipping, every single day, and it's good tipping, so nothing to be ashamed about, so for the most part, if you want to leave well enough alone, so be it. I do. My goodness, so many go on about this, but it's not essential to tip more. Just don't remove the tips that are already in place with your onboard account and you are a good person.:)

You are absolutely right. You can forget the envelopes.

Sometimes i shake my head at myself, but we do it because we have had awesome service, had people go above and beyond and for us it's worthy of an additional tip.

there is nothing wrong with leaving the HSC in place as is.

And there is nothing wroing with leaving the HSC in place and opting to give a bit extra either. There is no requirement to do it. It is a matter of choice and the service you received.

Everyone is free to make their own choice.

There is never a "right" answer on how much to tip, especially when you are tipping above and beyond by leaving the hotel service charge in place.

How much did the good service mean to you and how much can you afford? That should be your guide, not what the Joneses next door tipped.

For what it's worth: we have not stayed in a suite yet and we have not given $100 or more to a cabin steward (or team of 2) on a 7-day cruise.

Edited by Boytjie

Who is more qualified to determine what each crewperson is paid, other than a person on vacation with one or two cruises under their belt? HollAmer already told me what people are to be paid, why should I argue? The captain doesn't get a tip, what happens if the guy with the table brush winds up making more? If they need more money, then charge me more, but one thing I can't stand is everyone standing around with their hand out looking for a tip. If I wanted to spend my days tipping people, I'd go to Vegas.

Who is more qualified to determine what each crewperson is paid, other than a person on vacation with one or two cruises under their belt? HollAmer already told me what people are to be paid, why should I argue? The captain doesn't get a tip, what happens if the guy with the table brush winds up making more? If they need more money, then charge me more, but one thing I can't stand is everyone standing around with their hand out looking for a tip. If I wanted to spend my days tipping people, I'd go to Vegas.

You do not have to tip anyone. However, through all of our cruises we have never seen anyone standing around with his hand out waiting for a tip. On the contrary, they have been too busy working to make me happy to have time to stand around with a hand out, waiting for a tip. Therefore, we enjoy tipping them a little extra. Twenty dollars here and there is not going to make a big difference to me but it might to someone who is working hard to make my vacation great. We budget for tips when we plan the cruise.

With all respect, I have been on over 80+ HAL cruises and never, not once, not one time, did I ever see or sense any HAL crew person "standing around with their hand out looking for a tip."

If you have, it is a rare exception. Which HAL ship was that on? How long ago?

With all respect, I have been on over 80+ HAL cruises and never, not once, not one time, did I ever see or sense any HAL crew person "standing around with their hand out looking for a tip."

That's right, you don't see people standing around with their hand out, because the tip is already included. But, if it becomes customary to tip everyone even more, and the workers depend on the extra tipping, then you'll see plenty of it.

In Vegas, one must tip the check-in clerk if one is to get a good room. Carry your own bags or be ready to tip more. The maître de expects his and so does the waiter and the wine person. The usher will be needing a tip if you don't want to watch the show from behind a column. All the dealers need their tip if you win a hand, even if you are thousands behind. Taking a cab requires two tips, one for the driver and one for the guy who called for him. How much do I tip this one, is it more for that one? Do I tip all those people or just one? I HATE TIPPING!!!

If the 12 bucks a day isn't enough, then tell me. Charge me for it. But don't burden me with having to decide how much this guy makes and that guy gets.

Americans seem to ruin a lot of good people and good service with this tipping (charity) custom.

Edited by Lottie Linda

The automatic hotel service charge has been the practice on HAL ships for years now. We sailed during the years where HAL's policy was 'no tipping required' and now with the automatic service charge. I have seen no crew behaving in any different way during these two policies.

Yes, they want tips and most regular travelers understand that, however, they also want their jobs. The crews must behave at certain levels that is acceptable to their employers and the guests and if they behave otherwise, their contracts are not renewed.

Americans have tipped for centuries, literally. We are not going to stop now I wouldn't suspect. That is our culture. That is what we do. When I travel in cultures other than my own, I plan in advance to 'do what is accepted' where it is that I am visiting. When in Rome is really a useful policy, IMO.

We leave $20-30 extra for the cabin steward and $10 for his asst. Same for the dinning room and his asst. It's not necessary to tip over and above the HSC but that is what we do. As I have mentioned before, I hope they get to keep all our extra tips.

This is the only time we leave an envelop on the bed the last night of the cruise.

We put in it twenties and tens and let them decide between who gets what.

How much depends on the length of the cruise as well as the service.

I always did that too KK but I won't in the future.

I left a tip for our stewards at the end of the 1st segment (16 days of 20) on our last cruise as one of the stewards was getting off the ship

When our remaining steward didn't say anything (very surprising), I asked if he got the envelope. He said yes, he gave it to the other one .

Turns out the other steward kept the whole thing. Now, I wanted Dadang to receive a tip as he was the one that did the most for us even if he was the junior. So, I compensated him at the end - put it in his hand (in an envelope) and said this is only for you.

When I talked to someone on the cruise they said they always leave separate envelopes and I think this is what I will do in the future.

This is the only time we leave an envelop on the bed the last night of the cruise.

We put in it twenties and tens and let them decide between who gets what.

How much depends on the length of the cruise as well as the service.

This is what I do. I have no idea who does what in the room since I'm not in the room when they are there. I do not want to be in the position to decide who gets what. In the note I mention to split it how they see fit.

That's right, you don't see people standing around with their hand out, because the tip is already included. But, if it becomes customary to tip everyone even more, and the workers depend on the extra tipping, then you'll see plenty of it.

In Vegas, one must tip the check-in clerk if one is to get a good room. Carry your own bags or be ready to tip more. The maître de expects his and so does the waiter and the wine person. The usher will be needing a tip if you don't want to watch the show from behind a column. All the dealers need their tip if you win a hand, even if you are thousands behind. Taking a cab requires two tips, one for the driver and one for the guy who called for him. How much do I tip this one, is it more for that one? Do I tip all those people or just one? I HATE TIPPING!!!

If the 12 bucks a day isn't enough, then tell me. Charge me for it. But don't burden me with having to decide how much this guy makes and that guy gets.

Americans seem to ruin a lot of good people and good service with this tipping (charity) custom.

You are correct, of course, but with such a negative view perhaps the best place for you is home. Absolutely stay away from Las Vegas!

Since I worked in many service jobs to put myself through school, I know how much a little extra means to the person receiving it. We also gave tips out after the end of the 16 days incase any of the employees would be changing assignments. The amount is less important, in my opinion, than the gesture. To show them gratitude for services rendered.

It is always a boost to be acknowledged and they work such long hours.

There is only once we did not tip our cabin steward and that was purely because he did the absolute minimum.

I always leave separate envelopes for the cabin and dining stewards.

I used to do that too but I have no idea if the work is split evenly or one does more. If I split it evenly and they don't split the work I'm cheating one of them. If one keeps all the money then they are cheating their colleague because I write a note to say the money is to be split.

I wish HAL would just include all tips in the price of the cruise which some cruise lines do. This whole topic and all the confusion about what to tip just disappears and you never think about tips at all, before or during the cruise. It's done and paid for before you even get on the ship. (If you wish to do something extra for the crew there is a 'crew fund' you can contribute to which provides extras for all the crew to enjoy.)

Service does not suffer at all, if fact we found it better. Tips are not on the minds of pax or crew.

We were on Noordam III in the early to mid 80's on one the first cruises with Filipino bar staff. We walked into a bar one evening and saw a box on the bar that said "For the boys" with a slot cut on top.

The box lasted until the Social Hostess walked thru the bar. We didn't see the box or the bartenders again.

I remember staff on HAL used to say that tipping should be only for exceptional service, not expected service. Every bar check used to say "Tipping not required" at the bottom.

We always tipped as the crew always went far above and beyond to make uor cruise perfect. No towel animals but if I washed my hands, walked to the elevator and back to my cabin I would find the towel replaced.

Anyone remember the sleepwear neatly placed on tne correct side of the bed?

Just of the Veendam and gave my cabin stewards an envelope with a tip. I didn't receive any confirmation that they received the tip. Both of them saw us several times so am left wondering what went wrong. Did we not give enough? Did someone else take it? In the past we always got a thank you.

... Did we not give enough? Did someone else take it?

Or ... did it disappear or get tossed in the trash? ... For these reasons we always use envelopes with names and hand them to the right people. Our spoken "thank you, you made our cruise special" always brings a smile.

Cheers!