Tipping the Cabin Steward

petnumber1

We do, in fact, hand them cash during the voyage if they are doing something special for us. We aren't hard people; we recognize good service. It's simply confusing sometimes at the end of the cruise when people talk about throwing around hundred dollar bills. My husband always says that we tipped already. We did. We're not big shots throwing around money. Sometimes, after a long cruise, we've had the bar staff yell out, "hey, didn't we take care of you?". It's totally embarrassing.

Bolding is mine. Really?

I am going to guess this was NOT a HAL cruise. I've never heard anything of the sort from anyone crew member on HAL. Did you put the bar staff to a lot of work:p;) kidding.

There's nothing wrong with beating the rush and tipping your room stewards two or three days before the cruise ends. By that point in the voyage you know what the service is like.

I like this!!! Will do so in the future.

Sometimes employees do things that aren't in keeping with their employers standards. My husband and I went out to dinner one night, and the waiter was pushing my husband to order wine with dinner, and my husband demurred with, "I'm driving." So then the waiter turns to me and says, "So what's your excuse?"

Yes, waitstaff often become salespeople when their tip depends on the size of the check, and we know of at least one place where waitstaff were given a quota of alcohol to get customers to order, but this is most definitely not the way to go about getting people to order more. When employees conduct doesn't reflect well on their employer, the solution is to inform management. An employer can't discipline or fire for bad conduct if they don't know about it.

We do, in fact, hand them cash during the voyage if they are doing something special for us. We aren't hard people; we recognize good service. It's simply confusing sometimes at the end of the cruise when people talk about throwing around hundred dollar bills. My husband always says that we tipped already. We did. We're not big shots throwing around money. Sometimes, after a long cruise, we've had the bar staff yell out, "hey, didn't we take care of you?". It's totally embarrassing.

We have noticed that tipping is getting out of hand in some places. On our last cruise we booked a car to drive us from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the airport. We pre-paid the fare and a 20% tip was added to the bill. No problem as I thought it was great that I wouldn't have to worry about it later. Imagine my surprise when the driver made it clear that he was expecting an additional tip.

Use to be that to tip twice was to have been conned and to voluntarily pay more than required was to be considered a fool.

We have noticed that tipping is getting out of hand in some places. On our last cruise we booked a car to drive us from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the airport. We pre-paid the fare and a 20% tip was added to the bill. No problem as I thought it was great that I wouldn't have to worry about it later. Imagine my surprise when the driver made it clear that he was expecting an additional tip.

Use to be that to tip twice was to have been conned and to voluntarily pay more than required was to be considered a fool.

If the slip clearly said 20% TIP, that is all I would have tipped. In addition, I likely would have called the car company and informed them what he is doing and request they send a different driver for the ride to the airport.

If the response to my comments were not appropriate IMO, I would have cancelled the other ride and either booked a different company or taken a taxi.

Edited by sail7seas

We put tips for our two cabin stewards in two separate envelopes so that there will not be any confusion. Without saying something when giving one envelope ("this is for both of you") they could easily think that it was meant just for them.

We always take Chinese red envelopes for our tips and they seem to get a kick out of it. While it is a Chinese tradition they do seem to know what it means. :)

Peter, Would you enlighten us about this Chinese tradition.. That sounds neat! Do you purchase special red envelopes on-line or get them at a store such as Office Max?

There's nothing wrong with beating the rush and tipping your room stewards two or three days before the cruise ends. By that point in the voyage you know what the service is like.

What a great idea! Now why didn't I think of that..;) On our longer cruises we tipped several times but never thought to give the thank you a day or two before the end..

I've learned about two great idea's in this thread..Thank you Gentlemen

Peter, Would you enlighten us about this Chinese tradition.. That sounds neat! Do you purchase special red envelopes on-line or get them at a store such as Office Max?

Red envelopes are usually used for money gifts at weddings and at Chinese New Year. The color red symbolizes good luck. One can usually get it in stores in Chinatown. Places like banks would give them away around Chinese New Years.

ImageUploadedByForums1431228492.902566.jpg.3b5caeb49151934f7ebc22bc19bc5d49.jpg

The red envelopes are not ordinary plain red envelopes. They are small (usually) 2" by 3" envelopes that are red with Chinese characters or designs on them. (There are larger ones that are a little larger than an unfolded dollar bill). Money given at Chinese New Year to children is always in red envelopes, money given at Chinese weddings is always in red envelopes, etc. In keeping with true Chinese tradition, the amount of money put inside is always an even number. These can be purchased online or often can be found in Asian grocery stores.

(I read this thread out loud to my Chinese husband and he said to say that none of the crew is Chinese and this is not their tradition but I told them the OP already knows this. There, I put it in -- Thanks, DH!)

Neptune Suite, at least twenty. If he was as outstanding as you make him sound, it would be worth fifty.

The Neptune Suite stewards are among HALs veterans and only the finest qualify to service the Suites.

[(I read this thread out loud to my Chinese husband and he said to say that none of the crew is Chinese and this is not their tradition but I told them the OP already knows this. There, I put it in -- Thanks, DH!)

My SO is Chinese so that is how I know about the envelopes. All the crew we have tipped this way seemed to be familiar with it since they would always break into huge smiles when they saw the red envelopes.

According to Wikipedia other Asian countries like the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar have also adopted the custom of red envelopes and Malay Muslims use green envelopes. So it may not be all that unfamiliar to HAL crew.

Edited by Boytjie

Red envelopes are usually used for money gifts at weddings and at Chinese New Year. The color red symbolizes good luck. One can usually get it in stores in Chinatown. Places like banks would give them away around Chinese New Years.

[ATTACH]348906[/ATTACH]

Thank you Peter..Since DH's Brother & our Sister-in Law passed away, we no longer go to NYC & we don't get to Chinatown.. That's a beautiful tradition.. I miss Manhattan & Chinatown (& Snow) especially at Christmas time.. I'll look for them on-line..

The red envelopes are not ordinary plain red envelopes. They are small (usually) 2" by 3" envelopes that are red with Chinese characters or designs on them. (There are larger ones that are a little larger than an unfolded dollar bill). Money given at Chinese New Year to children is always in red envelopes, money given at Chinese weddings is always in red envelopes, etc. In keeping with true Chinese tradition, the amount of money put inside is always an even number. These can be purchased online or often can be found in Asian grocery stores.

(I read this thread out loud to my Chinese husband and he said to say that none of the crew is Chinese and this is not their tradition but I told them the OP already knows this. There, I put it in -- Thanks, DH!)

I think it's a lovely tradition & even though the crew is not Chinese, I'm sure the Indonesian Crew would still get a kick out of them.. I'll look for them on-line or ask the little Chinese Lady at our favorite Chinese Restaurant if she knows of a place we can get them locally.. Thank you for the tip about giving an even number..

P.S. Found them at Amazon.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097Z02MU/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3FPX6BLVYEWX9

Hope I can enclose a little not with the cash.. Plan to use them for the little ones in our family too.. thank you both!

Edited by serendipity1499

I have a hard time believing such studies with regard to the HAL industry. I would also add that you are mixing together two topics: service response to tips and customers who are too cheap to tip.

I personally have observed crew becoming very concerned if I make any remark that is evenly remotely negative, such as one time I commented that there was too much time between dinner courses. I have to be careful what I say as I do not wish to increase their burden. The HAL crew are generally very tightly tuned to feedback from the passengers. It has been said that HAL will investigate the associated crew performance if a passengers goes to the front desk to reduce the hotel service charge.

I do agree with your final statement 100%. A lot of people do tip for self-gratification, and only tip those that they feel are "special". Another reason for the much more fair hotel service charge.

igraf

The challenge is that compensation studies have repeatedly shown that there is no direct connection between the service that a customer receives and the payment of a tip. A crew member not receiving a tip is no more an indication of poor performance than a crew member receiving a tip is any indication of superior performance. Passengers will vehemently argue that they tip for exceptional performance, but the reality is that they tip for many other reasons.

... In fact, tipping has more to do with the reward that the passenger receives when providing the tip than the service received.

>SNIP<

I see nothing wrong with verifying with them they actually received the envelope and wonder why those who were not thanked didn't ask?

Personally I'd be too uncomfortable to ask. I would be concerned that the steward(s) would be uncomfortable with the question. That in some way they might consider it a rebuke or similar for not saying "thanks" or not having gotten around to saying "thanks". It is a tough position for everyone in that case, IMHO.

The other thing for me is I get so incredibly stressed on disembarkation day, I might not even realize that we hadn't been thanked, until I was at home.

We don't use envelopes. We just quietly say thank you to our dining stewards in the dining room and hand them the money - no one would even notice.

We also hand our room stewards their money and tell them how much we appreciated what they did for us.

I can't see any need for envelopes.

We use envelopes and thank you notes and include our names and cabin #s, just in case there is ever any question about who gave the stewards that particular cash. In the note we always mention that the HSC has been left in place and this is an extra little thanks. I prefer giving the stewards an audit trail of some sort, in case it is ever needed.

We use envelopes and thank you notes and include our names and cabin #s, just in case there is ever any question about who gave the stewards that particular cash. In the note we always mention that the HSC has been left in place and this is an extra little thanks. I prefer giving the stewards an audit trail of some sort, in case it is ever needed.

Agree 100%

I have a hard time believing such studies with regard to the HAL industry. I would also add that you are mixing together two topics: service response to tips and customers who are too cheap to tip.

I personally have observed crew becoming very concerned if I make any remark that is evenly remotely negative, such as one time I commented that there was too much time between dinner courses. I have to be careful what I say as I do not wish to increase their burden. The HAL crew are generally very tightly tuned to feedback from the passengers. It has been said that HAL will investigate the associated crew performance if a passengers goes to the front desk to reduce the hotel service charge.

I do agree with your final statement 100%. A lot of people do tip for self-gratification, and only tip those that they feel are "special". Another reason for the much more fair hotel service charge.

igraf

If you were to review nearly every tipping thread on CC, you will see people stating that they tip for the very reasons noted in my response. I do believe that HAL crew are very concerned with any negative feedback from passengers, and I believe that the fact that tips are awarded based on points is a large part of that.

Personally, as I stated earlier, I would rather HAL raise the HSC and completely eliminate any additional tipping onboard. The challenge then though is that those passengers who tip for self-gratification will no longer have that need being met and will have to seek other avenues to meet that need.

If my cabin steward and assistant are treating me really well, I'll see them and personally thank them mid-way and give them a small tip. About two days before the end of the cruise, I'll write a "Thank You" note to each and put it on my bed as I leave for dinner with another small tip. I'll do the same for various bar-tenders and servers if I feel it is warranted. I like to tip mid-way because the stewards normally have some time ashore and I figure the "extra" will come in handy when they do. I don't tip a lot because I leave the HSC in place -- maybe $5 mid-way and $10 at the end.

If you were to review nearly every tipping thread on CC, you will see people stating that they tip for the very reasons noted in my response. I do believe that HAL crew are very concerned with any negative feedback from passengers, and I believe that the fact that tips are awarded based on points is a large part of that.

Personally, as I stated earlier, I would rather HAL raise the HSC and completely eliminate any additional tipping onboard. The challenge then though is that those passengers who tip for self-gratification will no longer have that need being met and will have to seek other avenues to meet that need.

Tipping is a form of control. HSC allows for some control, but basically it's set and it takes extraordinary circumstances to change it. I don't want to think about controlling people on my vacation. I hope the crew takes pride in their work, and I hope they get paid enough. If not, there are other things to do next time.

Tipping is a form of control. HSC allows for some control, but basically it's set and it takes extraordinary circumstances to change it. I don't want to think about controlling people on my vacation. I hope the crew takes pride in their work, and I hope they get paid enough. If not, there are other things to do next time.

So tipping is just like a leash? That's messed up.

:confused: I don't understand this.

Are you saying those of us who choose to tip additional are controlling the stewards throughout the cruise? How can that be when they not only do not know who may tip extra but don't even know who will remove HSC the last night?

So tipping is just like a leash? That's messed up.

There are some people who view it that way. The owner of a restaurant that went "no tipping" (they actually paid their servers a good wage, how revolutionary) said he had some very impassioned customers who insisted that their dining experience would be ruined if they were, in essence, forced to tip (the decent wage being a forced tip) and were unable to have that feeling of control over the server through the tip.

I would certainly prefer to have no tipping, have everybody be paid a decent wage, and things like raises and good shifts and such be decided on performance and customer feedback. There are so many unwritten rules about how much, who, and when you tip, and I feel like I'm always missing some, and probably pissing someone off who thinks I'm stiffing them, when it's simply ignorance.

Bolding is mine. Really?

I am going to guess this was NOT a HAL cruise. I've never heard anything of the sort from anyone crew member on HAL. Did you put the bar staff to a lot of work:p;) kidding.

Amazing that you would say that.

This one takes the cake!

That sentiment is an insult to all the wonderful people who like to show their appreciation to the crew by leaving the HSC in place and giving a little extra money to those who work so hard to make their vacation special. If you don't want to tip extra, that is certainly are right but don't try to make yourself feel better for not tipping by calling it a form of control.

Having said that, I realize there's no way you can possibly believe what you wrote, so I'll just leave it there.

This one takes the cake!

That sentiment is an insult to all the wonderful people who like to show their appreciation to the crew by leaving the HSC in place and giving a little extra money to those who work so hard to make their vacation special. If you don't want to tip extra, that is certainly your right but don't try to make yourself feel better for not tipping by calling it a form of control.

Having said that, I realize there's no way you can possibly believe what you wrote, so I'll just leave it there.