Tendering into Icy Strait Point

K.T.B.

I know the Alaskan cruises are just starting up, so I'll get more up-to-date info, but has anyone tendered into Icy Strait Point? How long does it take? We're not at Elite status.

I'm trying to figure out if doing a private tour is possible.

I know the Alaskan cruises are just starting up, so I'll get more up-to-date info, but has anyone tendered into Icy Strait Point? How long does it take? We're not at Elite status.

It's not long and we were lucky enough to see a whale on our short trip. There's not a lot to see in ISP but we still found it interesting both times we were there. If you can find Halibut Pizza don't pass it up!

We did FISHES last year and loved it. As for the tendering, there is only one ship allowed per day as the port can not support any more than that. Tender time is about 15 minutes each way. If you are doing the early FISHES tour then you may want to try for the first couple of tender boats.

We are going in a few weeks :) And, have a private whale watching through FISHES. We will let you know how it goes when I get back! Our private tour didn't seem to be worried about tender time.

It depends on how big of a ship you are on. That determines how close you can get. Two years ago we were there on HAL's Amsterdam, and it was less than 10 minutes.

I'm more concerned about the length of time waiting to get on a tender boat! :) If it goes quickly and we're able to get to shore, say, by 10:45 or so (ship arrives in port at 10), it'll be perfect.

Since you "dock" at 10:00 it might be a little longer to tender because the shops will all be open. Passengers tend to stay on board with an earlier arrival time, waiting for things to open. FISHES is very good and they know the problems with tendering. Just get in line as soon as you can, or go early for a tender ticket to get a low number.

We tendered off and then did the lovely beach walk to Hoonah (about a kilometre) There we found the Office Bar (check google) and spent a couple of hours chatting with the locals while watching whales in the bay in front of us. We then meandered back, went through the visitor/gift shop and ended out on the dock where they had picnic tables set and you can order king crab. We went directly to the Oceanview bar upon boarding, had a glass of wine and watched the whales

all around the ship. One of the best ports in Alaska:)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/120076855@N07/gY788Q

https://www.flickr.com/gp/120076855@N07/V5JQF4

https://www.flickr.com/gp/120076855@N07/x7u331

https://www.flickr.com/gp/120076855@N07/n36593

Just did it this week on Millennium. It's 3 minutes and they did not issue tender tickets or give priority to anyone because with such a short ride and 4 tenders running constantly, there never was a queue anyway. It was truly well handled.

It depends on how big of a ship you are on. That determines how close you can get. Two years ago we were there on HAL's Amsterdam, and it was less than 10 minutes.

That's the same experience that we had on the Century. See how close the ship is to shore?

Don't miss out on getting an order of donuts from Oh So Goood! We bought a basket and then went over to watch the zip liners come down from the hill. WOW for both!!!

DSC09535.jpg.a2c5a07f418c9c84198842e329cc5fb4.jpg

DSC09544.jpg.b426af22722c9d568e2999eed79d82a5.jpg

DSC09545.jpg.8119139e00ea5928e40c733bbcf1f82a.jpg

DSC09559.jpg.e28a959e7488c913dc9ad43f2a0e5fd4.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea