Alaska - Aft Balcony worth the cost over Interior?

Newbcruiser1

So a few days ago I asked whether the experts would recommend upgrading our inside cabin to an ocean view guarantee (for $130pp extra) for our upcoming Millennium cruise to Alaska - the general opinion seemed to be to stay put and watch the balcony pricing. So we did...

Final payment date has now come and gone, and several cabins have opened up as expected. I was just playing around on the Celebrity site and found that they would allow us to book a Family Veranda cabin for 2. Room 7201 is available which is an aft balcony. The room is huge at 270 square feet and the balcony is huge with loungers, a dining table, and regular chairs.

Our itinerary has 2 sea days (inside passage and Hubbard Glacier), and we will be back onboard by 2pm on each of those days. So theoretically we would have time to spend out there. How much time would we actually spend there? I can't say for sure. Maybe room service breakfast twice? An afternoon snack? Checking out the scenery in the morning and at bedtime?

So the dilemma - it would cost an extra $1370CAD per person! We only paid $639pp for our inside room (plus tax and gratuities), so this would almost triple the cost that we paid. I was trying to stick to a budget and this puts us way over, but it also seems "too good to pass up" in a way.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance! :)

I can't tell you if it's worth the expense, because "worth" is a subjective term. I can tell you we were thrilled with the aft-facing room to the point we've booked aft-facing rooms on every cruise after. There's something about seeing where you've been and hearing the churning wake.

In Alaska, however, I think any veranda room - no matter the side - is perfect. In the Inside Passage, the scenery is all around you. And they should rotate the ship at Hubbard so that all sides get a view. It was my experience that everyone was out on a public deck for that stop, anyway. That way, when the ship rotated, we could just mosey to the other side.

I can't tell you if it's worth the expense, because "worth" is a subjective term. I can tell you we were thrilled with the aft-facing room to the point we've booked aft-facing rooms on every cruise after. There's something about seeing where you've been and hearing the churning wake.

In Alaska, however, I think any veranda room - no matter the side - is perfect. In the Inside Passage, the scenery is all around you. And they should rotate the ship at Hubbard so that all sides get a view. It was my experience that everyone was out on a public deck for that stop, anyway. That way, when the ship rotated, we could just mosey to the other side.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm not normally one to care for aft balconies as I find I don't utilize the balcony all that much (I'm more likely to be found lounging on the pool deck/solarium). I wouldn't normally spend $1300pp more for a balcony... And in this case, I wouldn't consider paying that for a regular sized balcony room either.

I think the aspect of this room that is looking so much more appealing is the size of the room. As I am traveling with a friend, the potential to have a larger room with separate sleeping areas should one of us choose to sleep on the sofa-bed, more room and privacy for changing, getting ready, etc, has its appeal.

At the same time though, $1300 could pay for a whole other cruise...

Tough decision for me for sure!

I see now that I didn't full read your original post.

The Family Veranda on M-class is a great room! The bathroom left a little to be desired, but the separate living area is really nice to have. The selling point for us was the veranda. Aside from the Penthouse suites, no other room can compare with the FV. You have a 270° view that no one else has.

Besides the bath, the only other downsides I can think of are the loss of CC points-per-night and some of the upgraded amenities.

That being said, I would book a FV for 2 again in a heartbeat. I have a room tour video linked in my signature for the Canada & New England itinerary and photos of the room and veranda.

Edited by HickoryShampoo

There are times in life to watch the pennies ant there are times to be indulgent. On our Alaska cruise we spent so much time on the deck. When we got a bit cold one of us would quickly go and get hot coffee......magical memories.

We also love aft cabins, watching that wake behind you......

Enjoy!

A thousand times yes! If there's anyplace for which a balcony is fabulous it's Alaska.

We love aft cabins for many reasons. A balcony is a "must" when we sail. If you can snag one of the FV then do it. "Worth" is a hard question. If you're just going on dollar amount and so much per day and a lot of numbers, and how many hours a day will you use it, then it's harder to answer. Quality of vacation and enjoyment - so subjective. You will definitely use it on the sea days and as you pull into port and leave port. And after your excursion before you leave. I don't sit out there for hours on end but to walk out and see what's going on not just from a window is.....priceless. You can go out for five minutes all the time, at night when the stars are out. Our first cruise in 2001 was an ocean view on Century. I was so frustrated, I wanted to feel the fresh air, wanted to just crack open that window, and not have to go outside the room, walk up or down stairs, and find a spot on deck.

Oh for that glacier day (Hubbard?) - that'll likely be your coldest day of course. We pack a very warm squish-able jacket in those space bags. Bring gloves and if you have a hat or one of those wool head wraps (think ski slope) it's easy to pack and even if you only use it on that day it's worth it. I know, it seems like a lot to bring, but I promise you will wish you had it when you can't stand being out on deck very long because your fingers are too cold or your ears are numb. And it's too gorgeous NOT to be out there.

Hope you find your perfect Alaska cabin and you enjoy every single drop of your cruise. I love Alaska. Next time we go we aren't cruising. We're gonna' fly up there and spend two weeks or so driving around.

it is easy to spend someone else's money. if you are tight on funds I would say save the extra for some nice tours. I am not a tour type person but in Alaska we did splurge on both float plane, and helicopter tour. We booked them at the pier and on line. Do a search and some research first and book ahead if you can. We used different tours than what was offered by the cruise ship and got more for our money as both only held 4 passengers each. With the helicopter we landed on a glacier and had the chance to walk around, touch it and etc.

We also did a few inprompto tours that we booked on the dock as we were walking into town. Got them really cheap and were a lot of fun. You will be in the USA and there is nothing to be leery of.

For us the inside passage was nice to look at for the first mile or so and after you seen that you seen the rest of it. Sailing into the glacier it may be best to be on a top deck, just dress warm with layers and have gloves, hat and ear muffs to be prepared.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

My personal opinion is to do it. 7201 isn't a corner FV which are even better, but for the trip on Millennium through the Inside Passage from Vancouver you'll have a wonderful view and plenty of cover on the balcony if the weather's poor. Two rooms inside and another one outside!

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Tough decision...I personally wouldn't move if it cost that much more.

I would have done the $260 upgrade to ocean view, but not $2,740 for balcony.

Anything you can see from a balcony can be seen from numerous outside public decks on the ship.

Have a great cruise no matter what you decide!

So a few days ago I asked whether the experts would recommend upgrading our inside cabin to an ocean view guarantee (for $130pp extra) for our upcoming Millennium cruise to Alaska - the general opinion seemed to be to stay put and watch the balcony pricing. So we did...

Final payment date has now come and gone, and several cabins have opened up as expected. I was just playing around on the Celebrity site and found that they would allow us to book a Family Veranda cabin for 2. Room 7201 is available which is an aft balcony. The room is huge at 270 square feet and the balcony is huge with loungers, a dining table, and regular chairs.

Our itinerary has 2 sea days (inside passage and Hubbard Glacier), and we will be back onboard by 2pm on each of those days. So theoretically we would have time to spend out there. How much time would we actually spend there? I can't say for sure. Maybe room service breakfast twice? An afternoon snack? Checking out the scenery in the morning and at bedtime?

So the dilemma - it would cost an extra $1370CAD per person! We only paid $639pp for our inside room (plus tax and gratuities), so this would almost triple the cost that we paid. I was trying to stick to a budget and this puts us way over, but it also seems "too good to pass up" in a way.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance! :)

I will tell you upfront I am biased. We only sail in balconies. I wouldn't do in inside if the cruise line paid me to. That being said if your are happy with a $639 inside, I'd say that paying an extra $1370 each just for a balcony and some extra square footage is too much of a premium. Use the extra money you save with the inside to do a couple of WOW excursions which will be way less than an extra $1370 each. No matter what you decide to do have a great cruise.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Thanks all - still trying to decide! If it was even $500 more, I would jump on it... But $1370pp is literally the cost of all of our excursions plus our Vancouver pre-cruise activities combined (which we would, of course, still do regardless).

Thanks for the advice re: excursions! We already have everything booked on that end, and we did splurge IMHO. We're doing a float plane over the misty fjords in Ketchikan, the train in Skagway, whale-watching in Icy Strait Point, and a long all-day combo tour in Seward including a boat tour of the Kenai Fjords, the Sealife Centre, and an airport transfer. Juneau we're doing on the cheap and taking the shuttle to Mendenhall.

What is the date of your cruise ? If you still have more than a month to go I would wait and take a regular balcony cabin. You will use it in Alaska. You will save some money that way.

It's not until July 31st... But I've been watching pricing on the cruises prior to ours (May, June, and July) and it seems that balconies never go below $1600CAD plus tax (most dates are way more than that, in the $2000-2500pp range) and many of the dates are sold out altogether for the northbound itinerary.

Thanks all - still trying to decide! If it was even $500 more, I would jump on it... But $1370pp is literally the cost of all of our excursions plus our Vancouver pre-cruise activities combined (which we would, of course, still do regardless).

Thanks for the advice re: excursions! We already have everything booked on that end, and we did splurge IMHO. We're doing a float plane over the misty fjords in Ketchikan, the train in Skagway, whale-watching in Icy Strait Point, and a long all-day combo tour in Seward including a boat tour of the Kenai Fjords, the Sealife Centre, and an airport transfer. Juneau we're doing on the cheap and taking the shuttle to Mendenhall.

If you have time in Vancouver take the float plane to Victoria for the day. That is a very pretty city.

I suggested earlier to go for it. I guess your decision will come down to will you regret it if you don't or will you regret spending all that money? Knowing that every cruise now I check how strenuous the excursions are, I am tending more to the attitude of believing what someone puts at the end of their posts (sorry I can not remember your name)

"When you look back you will tend to regret the things you haven't done rather than the things you have".

If you know on future occasions you will return to Alaska if you want, and have an aft balcony if you want, well I guess the pressure is off doing it now.

All the very best, whatever you choose!

Thanks to everyone for your advice/opinions/thoughts.

I think we've decided to forego the balcony... For now, anyway! We just can't justify the extra $2700 for it, even with the huge room size! I will keep my eye out for cheaper balconies and hope for the best! If all else fails, we'll make the best of our inside room! :)

We already splurged on excursions - Misty fjords float plane in Ketchikan, train in Skagway, whale watching in Icy Strait Point, and a Kenai Fjords cruise and the wildlife centre in Seward... So I have no doubt we'll have a great time regardless of what kind of room we're staying in!

Another update!!!

I just found one of the "new" ocean view rooms on deck 3 which is larger and has the huge window for a great price with our captains club upgrade - so we jumped on that deal! It was $210 per person to upgrade from our deck 3 inside. The layout of the room is like that of a balcony, and the window is so huge that we can stand at it looking out and pretend like we're ON a balcony (minus the cool air and wind).

I'm very happy now - we'll be able to see the beautiful scenery - and know if we should be running out on deck to see what we're missing! :)

Thanks again for all of your advice and opinions! I will report back with how we liked the room!

Sounds like a good decision to book the ocean view. We've done Alaska twice, mid July with an aft balcony and the end of August with an aqua class balcony. We never spent much time on our balcony on these cruises. Could never book an inside and probably not an ocean view either but would not spend $2700 to upgrade if we were happy with our original booking what ever the category.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU