Is anybody else is tipping extra at the MDR?

We tip extra for additional and/or superior service, both cabin attendant and waitstaff. On our last cruise, B2B 9 nights + 5 nights, we had the same cabin/attendant and the same late seating table waiter (but not assistant waiter) throughout. Because we had made requests for additional services or other special requests, we felt it appropriate to also increase theirs tips accordingly.

On the second leg of the B2B, we had a different assistant waiter who may have been in training and honestly did not do a great job. He didn't get extra, just the auto gratuity amount.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

On our last cruise we were prepared (and had discussed) giving extra to our waiter and assistant waiter. However, on the next to last dinner they both (at different times) went into a diatribe over giving them a 10 and how we should feel free to tip extra because the added cruise fare that they distribute is inadequate. I detest people begging for good reviews and money...therefore they only received the pittance that the line added automatically.

In my opinion...if they are just doing what is expected they deserve nothing extra. Go above and beyond and let your actions and attitude speak...everything else will take care of itself.

our last cruise we did give our main waiter not the head one in the jacket or assistant. he really deserved a bit more I don't normally tip extra but he did go above and beyond on our table so to me it was worth it. it wasn't a lot but it was the right thing for us to do I though.

I went out to dinner last night. I wasn't sure if I should give 15% or 20%. It bothered me so much, that I walked around the nearby tables (my wife was really annoyed at this) and asked the surrounding folks how much they each planned to tip, so I can get an idea of what I will do. I was really shocked at some of the answers. :cool:

I went out to dinner last night. I wasn't sure if I should give 15% or 20%. It bothered me so much, that I walked around the nearby tables (my wife was really annoyed at this) and asked the surrounding folks how much they each planned to tip, so I can get an idea of what I will do. I was really shocked at some of the answers. :cool:

No reason to be bothered, just give what you are comfortable with. Does not matter what others give.

During my last 2 cruises I noticed that nobody around my tables gave extra tip to the waiter or his assistants. I always give them extra tip because I believe they really deserve it. I'm not planning on cutting them my extra tip in the future but at some point I was wondering if I am the only one giving extra tip.

No, you are not the only one. If the service we receive warrants an additional tip we do not hesitate. In 95% of the cases, an extra tip is deserved, not only by the dining room staff, but by our room steward as well. In almost every instance, the staff has been more than accommodating, courteous and gone the extra mile to make sure we had a pleasant experience. In our book, this deserves recognition. We have not only extended additional tips, but have also written to RC to commend individuals who have gone out of their way for us.

OMG, I completely agree with you. It must be a really cold day in.... the Caribbean today.

Don't fret too much even a blind squirrel is right twice a day...or something like that. :confused::D

On our last cruise we were prepared (and had discussed) giving extra to our waiter and assistant waiter. However, on the next to last dinner they both (at different times) went into a diatribe over giving them a 10 and how we should feel free to tip extra because the added cruise fare that they distribute is inadequate. I detest people begging for good reviews and money...therefore they only received the pittance that the line added automatically.

In my opinion...if they are just doing what is expected they deserve nothing extra. Go above and beyond and let your actions and attitude speak...everything else will take care of itself.

I completely agree with you, I would have done the same.

some people tip a few dollars to make themselves look good in front of others, and some just want to think they have contributed to world peace by tipping.

I agree with both of these! All this "well, we crochet sweaters for each crew member who smiles at us at least twice..." is just crazy. Do people put this much thought/discussion into how they tip in land restaurants?

I agree with both of these! All this "well, we crochet sweaters for each crew member who smiles at us at least twice..." is just crazy. Do people put this much thought/discussion into how they tip in land restaurants?

I don't think people out this much though into how they tip in land restaurant because they eat out very often and have experience. Most people take a cruise once a year only

Edited by mcatmcat

hey get a hand written note telling them how they made our vacation that much more special along with an additional sum of money.

this is bad idea sis. you cannot encourage "help" to geta thanks card. me no do this as its bad. its bad i tell you. stop this. they dont care about cards, they care about hard cash.

its all about the cash sis.

your bud

Don't fret too much even a blind squirrel is right twice a day...or something like that. :confused::D

I think you are mixing up two sayings

Even a Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then

A broken clock is still right twice a day

I don't think we have ever not tipped extra. Sometimes more than other times. I think RC is genius in doing prepaid because they get their money sooner and mentally I think it makes people tip more because we want to give something at least somewhat significant instead of rounding up if we were giving our standard tip at the end of the cruise.

I think you are mixing up two sayings

Even a Blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then

A broken clock is still right twice a day.

I got that straight from the squirrel so I don't think you're correct. [emoji41] [emoji6] [emoji1]

I feel your pain. That begging goes on and on more than one night, interrupting pleasant table chat. My understanding, however, is that RCI puts lots of pressure on the wait crew to get those "10" ratings.

I know the head waiter (red jacket guy/gal) works quietly in the background to be sure everything runs smoothly but honestly, if we get average service, no special requests, does he/she really need to be tipped? It's the waiters/assistant waiters who work so hard, rushing in and out of the kitchen to personally deliver our food in a satisfactory manner. No flames please, just asking.

this is bad idea sis. you cannot encourage "help" to geta thanks card. me no do this as its bad. its bad i tell you. stop this. they dont care about cards, they care about hard cash.

your bud

I respectfully disagree here... while I was in college (many moons ago), I waited tables. Yes, tips were very important to me. It essentially was what paid my bills. However I absolutely did appreciate and was touched when someone went beyond tipping as well. I had a customer who left their tip in an amazing multi color origami dragon that she made herself. (In a prior week, we somehow got into a conversation about fantasy and that I loved dragons.) It was something that really touched me and I actually still have that dragon almost 20 years later. (Yes, it's seen better days, but it still has sentimental value to me.)

As the saying goes... cash is king, but it does not mean other things such as a card, chocolates, or anything else is not appreciated as well.

During my last 2 cruises I noticed that nobody around my tables gave extra tip to the waiter or his assistants. I always give them extra tip because I believe they really deserve it. I'm not planning on cutting them my extra tip in the future but at some point I was wondering if I am the only one giving extra tip.
Have always tipped "extra" in an envelope at the end of the week, along with our prepaid gratuities. Wheter we cruise alone or a table of ten, the whole group tips this way....K.O.....:)

I think the "suggested" tip amounts are adequate for standard service. If the service seems to be MORE than adequate, we'll tip more. It's not something we plan in advance, since we haven't had ANY service in advance!!

And really...what business is it of yours how anyone other than yourself tips?? I think folks need to stop worrying about how much other's tip, who gets what percentage of the tip, who got more liquor added to their drink, who ordered 3 lobster tails, etc...etc...etc...

Agree with these two statements.

Almost always, our MDR wait staff are better than adequate and we gladly give them an additional tip at our last dinner.

I really agree with your last statement, but must say people like this are more apparent on Cruise Critic that they are while on the ship!

We tip extra if we feel the level of service was excellent.

So sometimes we tip extra, sometimes we don't tip extra, and once I even thought about reducing the tips (but didn't) because the service was so bad.

Once we even tipped our head waiter extra. That's the guy in the red jacket that you see for 10 seconds every night when asking how your meal is. He was the one who was taking the time every evening to cut the food on my daughters' plates.

oh this would be a nightmare to me and would probably ensure they got zero extra even if their service had been outstanding! For my mind a tip is about the customer's recognition of great service, not about the attendant attempting to guilt the customer into it!

As a Brit I have difficulty with the whole tipping thing that American Companies have going on. If Service has been included in the bill, its included. Why pay more? I get completely irritated by service that is in your face the whole time. Serve me, yes, but don't bug me the whole time I'm eating!

Its the same with the cabin staff. Yes be friendly, but do your job unobtrusively just do it, its what you are paid for. I wish they would just charge what they need to charge and pay the staff appropriately. Rather than have the whole fuss and bother of tipping.

Oh and while we are on the subject, 10% is considered a good tip here in a restaurant. This is why UK restaurant bills are more expensive, they are inline with what it actually costs to pay someone appropriately for their work.

I'm sure this is going to cause a tirade. Feel free.

As a Brit I have difficulty with the whole tipping thing that American Companies have going on. If Service has been included in the bill, its included. Why pay more? I get completely irritated by service that is in your face the whole time. Serve me, yes, but don't bug me the whole time I'm eating!

Its the same with the cabin staff. Yes be friendly, but do your job unobtrusively just do it, its what you are paid for. I wish they would just charge what they need to charge and pay the staff appropriately. Rather than have the whole fuss and bother of tipping.

Oh and while we are on the subject, 10% is considered a good tip here in a restaurant. This is why UK restaurant bills are more expensive, they are inline with what it actually costs to pay someone appropriately for their work.

I totally agree with you. I'd much rather they pay staff appropriately and charge more for the food or cruise or whatever to include the cost of those serving you. (I'm an Aussie and tipping isn't expected here either). That said I've always tipped when in the US as I know it is expected. (except one particular restaurant where the service was so appalling I deliberately did not tip a single cent) Unfortunately that expectation is now extending to anywhere that has a lot of US patronage

your bud

I don't know how it works on RCCL, but I know on DCL if crew members are mentioned in the "extra magical" area on the comment card and/or have positive notes/cards written about them that are passed to management (so ok, not a card for them, but still a card) it goes a LONG way towards things like raises and promotions.

So yes, cards CAN help - at least for some cruise lines.

i dont tip anything extra sis. why should i. unlike you, i am not cheap. i work hard for my cruise. i work overtime to pay for my cruise. yes if i am to tip once its ok dear. but not tip once and then expected to tip again and then listen to crap abour ratings and comments from me servants when i go to get me hair cut, i tip once not twice. when me goes to get bikini wax for me cruise done, me gladly tips. when me goes for dinner on ship me tips once only. i cant afford to eat out often at home as i am saving up for me cruise. me not cheap like can u guess who it is but me not willing to pay me tips twice like. me not cheaop, just been real sis.

your bud