Live review with pics, HAL Oosterdam Vancouver 5/24 - Seward 5/31/2015

cl.klink

Where did you dock in Skagway, the Railroad dock or the Port Dock?

Please advise and thanks.

Himself

Railroad one.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booked a private excursion with Frontier Excursions and Adventures. They drove us in small bus along same route as the more famous White Pass railroad, at half the cost, with a guide, stops to get out for photos along the way, plus got to drive on to glacial alpine area and to the Yukon itself. Very beautiful.

Here we saw the train going by!

016a51cf9898a2b6a445c84c3afb3d2e.jpg

Moments later we got out and savored this view.

2a50338d299a5705fa9303e82bb9a4ab.jpg

In Skagway went to Skagway Brewing Co. for fish and chips and the famous spruce tip berths locals love. Both were great.

a04ee27f9f8661419cb0b21f5d713d09.jpg

I liked Skagway. The town feels proud of itself. Enjoyed walking around it. If I came back I might just rent a car and drive up to Yukon (several did this).

- Joel

Had DW's birthday dinner at Le Cirque. Food and dining experience was top notch. I read that this was supposed to be Pinnacle Grill "transformed," but what it was was different china and a different physical menu and different food. A quibble that did not detract from the food.

Our favorite evening place has been Explorer's lounge where each evening there have been several hours of truly fine piano and violin duet classical music.

- Joel

Joel:

Thank you for sharing your cruise and photo's with us. I am curious. Was the trip you took cheaper than the train? Was it booked through the cruise line or by a private person in town?

I also love Skagway!

I just finished reading your review on the Equinox and really enjoyed it. I was interested in pictures of the ship as we are sailing on her for a Mardi Gras cruise in 2017. I saw you were sailing this month to Alaska on the Oosterdam and we are sailing on her next Sept. on a Med cruise from Barcelona to Venice. I read this review with lots of interest also. Beautiful pictures....Alaska is still on our bucket list. I see you are doing Antarctica on the Infinity. We loved that ship....we did a 28-day SA cruise on her....a nice, small intimate ship....great for doing SA as I am sure it will be wonderful for seeing Antarctica to. Thanks for the great reviews!

I am enjoying your cruise very much, and it's making me very anxious to be leaving on ours in 2 weeks! (on the Volendam out of Vancouver.) Your photographs are amazing.

Are you finding it very buggy?

Hardly any bugs for us.

- Joel

Your photos are absolutely amazing! Thank you so much & am enjoying the commentary as well...our 1st cruise was on the Oosterdam to Alaska - brings back memories.

We'll be on her again in December for a Caribbean cruise.

Loving your photos and commentary!! What a treat!!

Will you be able to post the video of the glacier calving?

I need to get to a real wifi to upload it. Will let you all know when I do.

Had some calving in Glacier Bay today that was also nice, but nothing like what we saw.

- Joel

Joel:

Thank you for sharing your cruise and photo's with us. I am curious. Was the trip you took cheaper than the train? Was it booked through the cruise line or by a private person in town?

I also love Skagway!

Yes. Half the cost. A private company. Found them in Trip Advisor. Named above. Recommend.

- Joel

I just finished reading your review on the Equinox and really enjoyed it. I was interested in pictures of the ship as we are sailing on her for a Mardi Gras cruise in 2017. I saw you were sailing this month to Alaska on the Oosterdam and we are sailing on her next Sept. on a Med cruise from Barcelona to Venice. I read this review with lots of interest also. Beautiful pictures....Alaska is still on our bucket list. I see you are doing Antarctica on the Infinity. We loved that ship....we did a 28-day SA cruise on her....a nice, small intimate ship....great for doing SA as I am sure it will be wonderful for seeing Antarctica to. Thanks for the great reviews!

Thanks.

Our first cruise was Infinity. Looking forward to seeing her again.

Alaska has been wonderful. Do it.

- Joel.

Internet was out all day yesterday and much of today. Oh how can one endure?

Today was kinda the reason for this cruise. Glacier Bay National Park. In the "little ice age," which ended in the 18th century, this area was all glaciated. Retreat of the glaciers left ample evidence of itself in the geology it shaped, and several glaciers remain to see. A lot of glacial reorient in last year's in particular. Only one, Margerie, is calving often enough to make a likely appearance during a visit here.

Even without glaciers the area is stunning in beauty, with show capped peaks in all directions and water all over. Feels like where creation itself would have started. Again it was clear and sunny. So, could see the dominant peak, Mt. Meriweather, therefore. This mountain is >15,000 feet tall, making it higher than anywhere in lower 48. But only 19th tallest n Alaska.

A U.S. Park ranger came onboard to narrate all over ship as we slid along glass-smooth water. Another set up shop in Crow's Nest to

answer questions, the later gave brief lecture in theatre. There, a Tinglit native also spoke about the culture of his people, once the dominant inhabitants here. We walked out on the bow and other more standard areas up top, eating hot pea soup that was being served. Else we spent a good part of the day on our wonderful aft veranda too. The captain was excellent in spinning ship around so all could see.

I had seen much more of glaciers up close and personal in Tracy Arm fjord, but GBNP was spectacular, and a wonderful way to cap the physical sights of this trip. Alaska is life and planet stripped of the false pretenses much of human living has succumbed to. Real stuff here. I have felt both humbled and uplifted, usually at the same time.

Joined fellow Jewish passengers for a brief service to welcome Shabbat. Always feels wonderful to join people I've never met in worship. Family is family.

Tonight was formal night. Unlike last time we went. Even though I've travelled here with one bag only (a carry on) I had a jacket and tie and was fine. Only saw one tux and saw many with no tie. Very nice meal.

Both HAL and Alaska have been good choices.

I'm about as happy as I can be without a child around to love and care for.

- Joel

More GBNPSP scenery. obviously gubernatorial

Huh? Don't know how "obviously gubernatorial" got in.

These are more pic of Marjorie Glacier.

0b02a6f4da382af63ac62c7b25c9c8c9.jpg

ba26f528312b417f1eba5759b4fd6f12.jpg

5c5c4801c3682760b3cd70380ed4b25e.jpg

96f990f9b4497e0a516b33f8c9a1c6c3.jpg