RCCL Bank of America Visa compromised

This is the third new card in 6 months, and it has always been within a week or so of my leaving on a trip. Guess I shop & travel too much :-). I leave Friday morning for my Alaska cruisetour and really want the double points on my RCI card for optional tours and my seapass account.

I've been using a backup card for the past week, no big deal, I was going to use that card for a rental car anyway (it has extra protection included). I tried to call BofA and get the number of the new card so I could get my automatic payments switched over, and despite answering several security questions they wouldn't tell me, which I can understand but still a hassle.

If I don't receive my new card today I will ask them to overnight it. I understand the security, but it seems they could just alert you and then flag the account for watch.

I'm surprised it takes so long. When my Amex number was stolen and used at 7/11 the attempted charge was declined and I was notified that my card had been cancelled and that I would receive a new one that same day from UPS. I would still like to know how this person got my number since I've never been in a 7/11!

Online notice popped up on Friday; email arrived on Saturday; new card showed up today:)

I received an email today at 5:24 a.m. informing me that my RCCL BofA Visa was part of compromise. They say a new card with new numbers will arrive in five to seven business days and that my current card will be deactivated on June 6th.

We leave on June 4th for a nine-night cruise. My sea passes are printed, and of course they are all tied to this credit card. We have a private excursion in St. Maarten on June 8th with a deposit tied to this credit card.

Hopefully, as indicated, I get the new card before we leave so that I can activate it and then print new sea passes.

What timing! Has anyone else received this email?

I received this notice on 5/20. Old card good until 6/5 when swiped personally. Received new cards today 5/26 (really fast considering the holiday weekend).

I also called BoA and they basically told me one of the vendors/retailers I used had had a problem and therefore the new card (they could/would not tell me which vendor/retailer)

Dennis & Sue

This is the third new card in 6 months, and it has always been within a week or so of my leaving on a trip. Guess I shop & travel too much :-). I leave Friday morning for my Alaska cruisetour and really want the double points on my RCI card for optional tours and my seapass account.

I've been using a backup card for the past week, no big deal, I was going to use that card for a rental car anyway (it has extra protection included). I tried to call BofA and get the number of the new card so I could get my automatic payments switched over, and despite answering several security questions they wouldn't tell me, which I can understand but still a hassle.

If I don't receive my new card today I will ask them to overnight it. I understand the security, but it seems they could just alert you and then flag the account for watch.

The scammers can be using electronic theft. It does not have to happen at a retailer.

The perfect place would be at a crowded place like an airport or cruise terminal. Now they can have the program on their phones or Ipad and lift your numbers without ever touching the card. They then sell the numbers to fraudsters who make up fraudulent credit cards and sell them.

My son's card was compromised on Thursday night. Somebody swiped a card with his number in Brazil. Chase notified him immediately. He got his new card via FEDEX on Saturday.

I had multiple cards compromised last year. I haven't had it happen this year since buying an RFID wallet. I also use an RFID passport case so they can't steal my passport information.

Edited by DebJ14

I got the email as well..first time for me, but otherwise, I agree with everybody else - no big deal - so far no odd charges.

However, here is an interesting point, I only use that card for RCCL or Celebrity, paying for cruises, and registering on the cruise planner for onboard purchases.

I use a 2% cash back card for every day, from another vendor.

Sounds to me like they need to police their own house first, the compromise had to come from RCCL/Celebrity people/system (or port people)

I got the email as well..first time for me, but otherwise, I agree with everybody else - no big deal - so far no odd charges.

However, here is an interesting point, I only use that card for RCCL or Celebrity, paying for cruises, and registering on the cruise planner for onboard purchases.

I use a 2% cash back card for every day, from another vendor.

Sounds to me like they need to police their own house first, the compromise had to come from RCCL/Celebrity people/system (or port people)

Not necessarily. I imagine RCCL, like most other large corporations, use a third-party transaction processing service. If that service was compromised, the result would be the same.

Tc

Maybe it is just me.....but if I got an email that said my credit card (it doesn't matter what the issuing company is) was part of some compromise and it wasn't going to be deactivated for TWO weeks, I would first wonder about the truth of the compromise and IMMEDIATELY call the bank who has issued the card.

I would not wait an hour or a day. Worrying about the excursions for two or more weeks from now, is not the issue ---DID THIS REALLY HAPPEN, would be my first thought and then how to get a new card within days, not weeks.

My card itself had no unauthorized transactions on it. My card was simply used at a vendor whose records have been compromised. I was slightly suspicious and did not call the number within the email. Instead I called the number on the back of my card. Also, as another poster stated, there was a message on my account that popped up when I signed into it online. Since there was no direct compromise with my card that included unauthorized activity, they were not deactivating my card until I received the new one, for which I am grateful.

Edited by KelJ

I do not understand so many of you have multiple cases with fraudueent use of CC.

DW and I have never had any such cases in the over 40 years we have used CC, - and have traveled all over the world.

We've never had any cases of fraudulent use either. We have, however, had the bank replace our cards on several occasions because somewhere in their interrelationships with merchants, transaction processing companies, etc., something has compromised the process, and it's easier (and cheaper) for the bank to re-issue cards than deal with potential fraudulent use on one (or more) of their cards somewhere down the road.

I do not understand so many of you have multiple cases with fraudueent use of CC.

DW and I have never had any such cases in the over 40 years we have used CC, - and have traveled all over the world.

Personally I find BofA overly sensitive and have stopped using them because of it.

Yes I am glad they try to protect me from fraud but my BofA cards are constantly being replaced, the other 6 or so cards that I have never seem to have any issues.

Too many times I have been "hung out to dry" by BofA deciding to lock my card on me because there might be an issue somewhere that I may have been exposed to.

I received an email today at 5:24 a.m. informing me that my RCCL BofA Visa was part of compromise. They say a new card with new numbers will arrive in five to seven business days and that my current card will be deactivated on June 6th.

We leave on June 4th for a nine-night cruise. My sea passes are printed, and of course they are all tied to this credit card. We have a private excursion in St. Maarten on June 8th with a deposit tied to this credit card.

Hopefully, as indicated, I get the new card before we leave so that I can activate it and then print new sea passes.

What timing! Has anyone else received this email?

I understand your concern, our Chase Visa Explorer card was compromised and new card was UPS the very next day. It has a chip in addition to the magnetic strip. This is the second time this card was replaced--the last time was when Target data was hacked.

The scammers can be using electronic theft. It does not have to happen at a retailer.

The perfect place would be at a crowded place like an airport or cruise terminal. Now they can have the program on their phones or Ipad and lift your numbers without ever touching the card. They then sell the numbers to fraudsters who make up fraudulent credit cards and sell them.

My son's card was compromised on Thursday night. Somebody swiped a card with his number in Brazil. Chase notified him immediately. He got his new card via FEDEX on Saturday.

I had multiple cards compromised last year. I haven't had it happen this year since buying an RFID wallet. I also use an RFID passport case so they can't steal my passport information.

BofA RCI cards do not have an RFID chip. Thieves cannot 'lift' a number from your BofA card.

New cards issued get a new EMV chip which requires, and can only be read by contact with a terminal designed to read the chip. These new cards cost $5-6 dollars each to reissue. It's not something BofA takes lightly. The bank (and maybe the retailer) eats the fraud, not the customer.

Guest maddycat
We received one as well. There was also a notice that popped up in my online banking account when I logged in to check my balances. No need to worry, the only piece of your credit card number on file with your reservation is the last four digits. They need to swipe a card at check-in to activate your onboard spending account, so as long as you get the new card before the 4th, you're good to go. If not, you can use a different card if you have one.

When we were on the Quantum in April we booked a future cruise. The LA asked us if we wanted to use the card that they had on file ending in ****. So they do keep the entire cc # in their system.

For the check-in on the Quantum, no card was swiped. The set sail print out was scanned.

Edited by maddycat

Call your credit card company and explained your situation. Give them specific information about the cruise (ship and dates) and the St Maarten excursion (expected cost).

Most likely, the credit card company will let these charges go through on your old number if you clear the exp senses with them before boarding.

When we were on the Quantum in April we booked a future cruise. The LA asked us if we wanted to use the card that they had on file ending in ****. So they do keep the entire cc # in their system.

For the check-in on the Quantum, no card was swiped. The set sail print out was scanned.

They do indeed once you are onboard, since that is the card that's connected to your seapass card. Prior to boarding, however, you are only asked for the last four digits of your card when doing online check-in, and every time I've called C&A to convert an NCC into a booking or make a payment on an existing booking, they have to ask for my card number because they don't store it in their systems.

Thank you for suggesting this! I just called them, and they are in fact overnighting new cards to me. Also, I took the opportunity during the call to advise what countries I would be visiting so that there would be no red flags when I use the card on the June 4th cruise.

Great. I am glad it has worked out for you.

My BofA card has been comprimised twice. Their fraud department is on it quickly. Just a slight inconvenience.

I agree with the exception that we had already left for our land portion of our Alaska cruise tour....we were already in Fairbanks when I got the email, I called BofA and had a few hoops to jump through to have my card extended until June 1st.

BofA has a good fraud department.

We did have two attempts for cash advances and for a balance transfer on our RCI card. We know this because our online account shows a line item with a fee of $0.00 for these three attempts which were denied.

If you have never had any compromises on your accounts in 40 years consider yourself lucky. We were victims in the Target, Home Depot and Countrywide Mortgage breaches and now this one.

We have Lifelock as an added protection. Which is annoying at times, because anytime you apply for any kind of credit they contact you to verify you indeed are the one applying.

Edited by WisconsinFan

BoFa cards don't have a chip in them yet, but they will eventually. More than 250 million cards already have them. My Chase card and AMEX have them.

If they put a skimmer on an ATM or retail swipe machine they can get the info from cards magnetic strips and don't need a chip. They will get you one way or another.

This video is really enlightening.

Edited by DebJ14

BoFa cards don't have a chip in them yet, but they will eventually. More than 250 million cards already have them. My Chase card and AMEX have them.

If they put a skimmer on an ATM or retail swipe machine they can get the info from cards magnetic strips and don't need a chip. They will get you one way or another.

This video is really enlightening.

I've got 3 BoA cards, 1 personal, 1 business and 1 debit card, all have chips in them.

I was very happy with BoA until 2 years ago. 2 days before I was leaving for my cruise I called to let them know I would be out of the country. They told me my card had been blocked because of fraudulent activity that day. They never contacted me to ask about it or notify me. I asked when they planned to notify me and they said they would send me a letter. Thank goodness I called! That was the end of BoA for me.