RCCL Bank of America Visa compromised

I received an email today at 5:24 a.m. informing me that my RCCL BofA Visa was part of compromise. They say a new card with new numbers will arrive in five to seven business days and that my current card will be deactivated on June 6th.

We leave on June 4th for a nine-night cruise. My sea passes are printed, and of course they are all tied to this credit card. We have a private excursion in St. Maarten on June 8th with a deposit tied to this credit card.

Hopefully, as indicated, I get the new card before we leave so that I can activate it and then print new sea passes.

What timing! Has anyone else received this email?

I received an email today at 5:24 a.m. informing me that my RCCL BofA Visa was part of compromise. They say a new card with new numbers will arrive in five to seven business days and that my current card will be deactivated on June 6th.

We leave on June 4th for a nine-night cruise. My sea passes are printed, and of course they are all tied to this credit card. We have a private excursion in St. Maarten on June 8th with a deposit tied to this credit card.

Hopefully, as indicated, I get the new card before we leave so that I can activate it and then print new sea passes.

Haven't received anything yet. No worry on using a different card at check-in. Takes them less than a minute to swipe a different card.

Edited by clarea

We received an email from Bank of America last Thursday saying there were possible fraudulent charges. After reviewing our account online we reported there were 2 fraudulent charges and they automatically closed the account and will send new cards. This seems to happen to us with this card once a year. Probably because we use it for just about everything so we can accumulate points. As much of a hassle it is to wait for new cards we are glad they are looking out for us.

Good luck getting your new cards. Ours will hopefully arrive today or tomorrow.

BOA is very quick sending new cards. We had this happen to us before and cards were in my hand within two days. Don't panic yet, you should have them in plenty of time.

I've had my card hacked twice now. What is amazing is how quickly Bank of America picks it up. Both times, it was for a relatively small amount. It seems what they do is see if the small amount goes unnoticed. If it does, they then charge larger amounts.

I have to say that BofA is exceptionally good at both picking up this nonsense and also sending a replacement card.

I also received this email and went online to check my account. The last four digits of my account number were already changed and am awaiting the new cards in the mail.

If you are leaving next week, call them and they will send you new cards overnight. I didn't see anything in error on my account so I guess they are being proactive for most accounts.

Call them and tell them you need a card overnighted. They will do this at no charge.

Thank you for suggesting this! I just called them, and they are in fact overnighting new cards to me. Also, I took the opportunity during the call to advise what countries I would be visiting so that there would be no red flags when I use the card on the June 4th cruise.

This has happened to me in the last couple months to all three of my credit cards -- MasterCard, Visa and Discover. Actually MasterCard was hit twice. That was in a 3 week time from getting the new card. All three were on top of it and I had no problem getting new cards. Visa (RCCI card) was the only one who stated I would get my card in 5-7 business days , but when I asked if they could please send it overnight, there was no problem. Mine was used in Beijing, China!! Must say my cards traveled a whole lot more than I did. Others were CA, NC, NY and China. Just a real pain in the rear. And it makes for a very nervous time every time I used a card. So far, so good -- (knock on wood).

I am surprised that they are not shutting down your card until June 6. All mine were shut down immediately.

Got the same email for my BOA card this weekend. It happens quite frequently on my BOA card - very frustrating. It's to the point that I don't have any automatic payments tied to it anymore, because I was sick of changing the card #.

Thank you for suggesting this! I just called them, and they are in fact overnighting new cards to me. Also, I took the opportunity during the call to advise what countries I would be visiting so that there would be no red flags when I use the card on the June 4th cruise.

Kelly, you should always do this when you are traveling out of your normal spending zone.

Kelly, you should always do this when you are traveling out of your normal spending zone.

This is so right!

I went to Florida to take care of my elderly parents and was using our credit cards there for groceries, prescriptions etc. Several of the credit card companies called my house thinking the charges were fraudulent and DH told them I was in Florida and to please let the charges go through. They said I should have notified them.

The only one that specifically says no travel notice is required is my AMEX card.

I had just signed up for this card and got the new card last week, so I was setting up online banking for the first time on Saturday, and it took over 24 hours for my registration to go through and let me log into the site (never had that happen with any other bank, thought it was really weird). I wonder if that's why.

Got the same email for my BOA card this weekend. It happens quite frequently on my BOA card - very frustrating. It's to the point that I don't have any automatic payments tied to it anymore, because I was sick of changing the card #.

BOA will reissue cards if there has been a data breach at a company that you have used in the past. It doesn't mean that your card had fraudulent charges, they just do a massive reissue of anyone what has used a vendor.

We have had our BOA card reissued multiple times and are happy that they are proactive. It can be an inconvenience if it happens when you are about to go on a trip, but better safe than sorry.

We received one as well. There was also a notice that popped up in my online banking account when I logged in to check my balances. No need to worry, the only piece of your credit card number on file with your reservation is the last four digits. They need to swipe a card at check-in to activate your onboard spending account, so as long as you get the new card before the 4th, you're good to go. If not, you can use a different card if you have one.

I received the same email on Friday. I think this is the second or third time this has happened in the past 2-3 years.

I am surprised that they are not shutting down your card until June 6. All mine were shut down immediately.

If there was actual fraudulent activity on that card, they would shut it down, but if the card was just caught up in a batch that used a third-party processor that was compromised, they leave it open so that any legitimate pending charges can clear.

We received one as well. There was also a notice that popped up in my online banking account when I logged in to check my balances. No need to worry, the only piece of your credit card number on file with your reservation is the last four digits. They need to swipe a card at check-in to activate your onboard spending account, so as long as you get the new card before the 4th, you're good to go. If not, you can use a different card if you have one.

But I can't use a different card...I need my double cruise points!! :p

I'm surprised it takes so long. When my Amex number was stolen and used at 7/11 the attempted charge was declined and I was notified that my card had been cancelled and that I would receive a new one that same day from UPS. I would still like to know how this person got my number since I've never been in a 7/11!

Maybe it is just me.....but if I got an email that said my credit card (it doesn't matter what the issuing company is) was part of some compromise and it wasn't going to be deactivated for TWO weeks, I would first wonder about the truth of the compromise and IMMEDIATELY call the bank who has issued the card.

I would not wait an hour or a day. Worrying about the excursions for two or more weeks from now, is not the issue ---DID THIS REALLY HAPPEN, would be my first thought and then how to get a new card within days, not weeks.

But I can't use a different card...I need my double cruise points!! :p

Get another card. I have a Celebrity card that I is only for cruise purchases (double points on everything) and a Royal card that I use for everything else.