Dry Dock Refit Details

cruiseduchess

I am amazed that people seem to feel that losing the sunset bar for dinner is a deal breaker. I have to admit that we have never used it at night. We enjoy the much more leisurely dinner that we have in the MDR - it's that that makes our evening. I would be concerned that we would have finished our dinner in double quick time!

We also enjoy sharing tables of 6 or 8 and eating with different people every night in the MDR.

I am amazed that people seem to feel that losing the sunset bar for dinner is a deal breaker. I have to admit that we have never used it at night. We enjoy the much more leisurely dinner that we have in the MDR - it's that that makes our evening. I would be concerned that we would have finished our dinner in double quick time!

We also enjoy sharing tables of 6 or 8 and eating with different people every night in the MDR.

To each his or her own, grandma.

I suspect there are some who would be equally "amazed" that others would want to eat at tables of 6 or 8 each night and never alone with partner, or would not ever want to enjoy a dinner on the veranda in the moonlight once in awhile, or linger over a lovely evening dinner during sailaway from a scenic port like Sydney or Rio or Monte Carlo, or partake of the marvelous theme buffets (e.g., Asian, Indian, Italian, French, seafood) the chefs put on in Windows most nights.

I suspect there are some who would be equally "amazed" that others would want to eat at tables of 6 or 8 each night and never alone with partner, or would not ever want to enjoy a dinner on the veranda in the moonlight once in awhile, or linger over a lovely evening dinner during sailaway from a scenic port like Sydney or Rio or Monte Carlo, or partake of the marvelous theme buffets (e.g., Asian, Indian, Italian, French, seafood) the chefs put on in Windows most nights.

Thank you,marinaro44. Just as I was composing a reply you have perfectly expressed my thoughts.

'We enjoy the much more leisurely dinner that we have in the MDR'

Horses for courses! We find eating outside at night, with candles flickering on the table, attentive wine service, and usually three courses far more leisurely than the MDR. Give it a try! (If you have a chance before the refit):(

Sue

+1 more.

Phil

Oh no! Your post perfectly describes so many delightful evenings on Windows' Verandah - those memorable sailaways, happy & relaxed diners sharing "Wow!" moments, cruising beneath the stars toward our next port...

Sigh. Progress can be painful.

Exactly!

I hope that Mr. Pimentel, the Officers and the Corporate Staff are willing to listen to one more view of the lose of the Sunset Bar to those of us who loved going there at night. My husband and I have been loyal Azamarians (should I TM that?) since 2009 who have averaged a month a year with Azamara since then and like many others have sailed 57 nights with the brand since the beginning of this year alone. After dinner...regardless of the venue...we would go to the Sunset Bar after grabbing a mini desert from the "Themed" buffet (ie...Indian...our favorite) and sit outside and have a small sweet treat along with a night cap. Of course the weather often drove us back into the buffet but we always tried to end our night under the stars. So it makes us sad to think that we will not be able to do that spring of 2016 on our B2B2B. And we were hardly alone at the Sunset Bar after dark.

We recognize that Asian food is popular, but Asian night at the themed buffet was never crowded or seemingly overly popular and I cannot imagine paying $50 for two in addition to what we have already paid to eat Asian food. I don't remember ever paying that much in any Asian restaurant and having to sit outside during iffy cold rainy weather does not seem very attractive. Others have made some good suggestions for other places to locate this new venue and we hope that you will give other options some consideration.

And another concern of ours is noise from the extended hours of the grill, the pool bar and now...movies and other entertainment on the pool deck. We always book a N1 Club Continent Suite and are often woken with furniture being moved around at 6:30 a.m. Luckily we are able to get back to sleep (Hey...we are on vacation). We were seldom bothered at night, except for White Nights which was always fun so we did not mind...and white nights only happened once a trip. I personally like to curl up in bed in a quiet environment with a great book after my night cap in the Sunset Grill. I guess that is not going to happen. And just another quick point...Are you really thinking about closing the jogging track at 5:00 so you can set up tables so we can take our dinner from either the grill or buffet up a flight of stairs to sit in the wind? mmm...

Both my husband and I are looking forward to seeing the other changes in the Reimagine Azamara project especially in the cabins which have needed some updating for a time.

So I once again thank Mr. Pimentel et al for reading the Cruise Critic Forum and hope that we can put a bug in your ear.

On a different note..... I didn't see any mention of the fitness facility. Will there be any enhancements to the gym? With all the wonderful food and beverages we have to workout more so we can eat :-)

Hi Riocca,

I hear you. This seems like a great deal of work to do in 2 weeks. IMO, Azamara's going to need a brilliant execution plan, and some luck on their side, for everything to go smoothly. Perhaps they will start some work on the sailing prior to the Drydock. On the bright side, RCCL appears to be highly involved on the process, so there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.

I hope your sailing is not impacted. We're considering the same sailing as well.

Starting work on the prior sailing is SOP from what I've seen and read about. But often those cruises are repositioning cruises that are priced accordingly. This one isn't - we're on it and it's quite pricey. Now you have me worried that they'll shut down the Sunset Bar to get started working on it.:eek:

I can see RCI's touch in the addition of another paid venue - the upgrades to their ships are all about adding more revenue, and not really enhancing the customer's experience. But I'm a grumpy cynic today.

I'm not a fan of the artist's rendering of the cabins - is that large chair in the N? suite meant to hold two people cozily or will there be a daily battle over who gets to sit in it?:p

Starting work on the prior sailing is SOP from what I've seen and read about. But often those cruises are repositioning cruises that are priced accordingly. This one isn't - we're on it and it's quite pricey. Now you have me worried that they'll shut down the Sunset Bar to get started working on it.:eek:

I can see RCI's touch in the addition of another paid venue - the upgrades to their ships are all about adding more revenue, and not really enhancing the customer's experience. But I'm a grumpy cynic today.

I'm not a fan of the artist's rendering of the cabins - is that large chair in the N? suite meant to hold two people cozily or will there be a daily battle over who gets to sit in it?:p

It costs more to operate specialty restaurants than the revenue they bring in. They add these restaurants to help market the cruise line and keep customers happy. Somehow, "outside space for buffet dinners" isn't quite a draw for attracting new customers.

Hi All,

I just want to let you know we are still here; still reading your posts. I don't want you to think we've tuned out.

u am way more concern about my cabin and bathroom than my dinner venues.. i can special order food anytime i want. .but no one seems to know about the bathtub in the Club suite..I pay for a tub and i want my tub. the one picture i saw does not show me a tub and a huge lack of storage in that bathroom. i have more now.

u am way more concern about my cabin and bathroom than my dinner venues.. i can special order food anytime i want. .but no one seems to know about the bathtub in the Club suite..I pay for a tub and i want my tub. the one picture i saw does not show me a tub and a huge lack of storage in that bathroom. i have more now.

Robin

I think more people onboard access the aft dining than have rooms with tubs hence the balance of posts here. I think everyone can order special food, for some though where they enjoy their evenings is very important and at present they are in the majority here

Personally, and I appreciate thus is a personal view, I will be delighted to have a walk in shower now if I book a suite, this opens up the accessibility of suites to many more guests so it is something I really like about the changes.

From the information so far and on the website it indicates there will be more news on the staterooms in July so think it's a case of wait and see. From a personal perspective I think a walk in shower is better than a tub. I heard so many people complaining about the step up. For those who are less mobile it can be a hazard. I realise that for some though a tub is important. There will be some compromises.

Phil

Hi All,

I just want to let you know we are still here; still reading your posts. I don't want you to think we've tuned out.

I really hope that Azamara doesn't believe it made a bad choice in selection of a location or type of restaurant it selected. Many people don't dine in upcharge venues in any case and there is another universe that doesn't like Asian food. That 25% of the people think this is a good idea probably means the place will be crowded.

My question relates to pricing. I think it was indicated that pricing was a la carte. Does that mean it could be pricier than the other venues? Also, will the venue have upscale local fresh fish options depending on where the ship is docking?

Robin

I think more people onboard access the aft dining than have rooms with tubs hence the balance of posts here. I think everyone can order special food, for some though where they enjoy their evenings is very important and at present they are in the majority here

Ann and Phil

I sit out there some nights too but not as much as others.. i love being outside but i prefer to dress up for dinner and be in side.. if the new restaurant goes thru i will be there with my hair up as it blows away. I understand the most people do not want this change.. if it happens i will enjoy it. if not i can order what i like in Prime C.

Personally, and I appreciate thus is a personal view, I will be delighted to have a walk in shower now if I book a suite, this opens up the accessibility of suites to many more guests so it is something I really like about the changes.

I understand what you are both saying about the tub.. there are days i do not want to climb into it but the main reason i get the Club suite is for a bath vs a shower. i take more baths on ship than i do at home. i know it is high but my tub is here too. i would love to know more as i have already told my TA i would move to the large suite to have both.. The waiting period the hard part. she also heard that some will have showers and some will not.. the artist rending seems to give less storage in bathroom and counter space look less. personally i rather have more of both.. that is a concern too.

redoing the Sunset bar area if Asian or not -needs a redo- Looking Glass does too but once a bathroom done they will not redo it.. so it is a concern... remember i stay on for weeks and i need that storage space for back stock.

I have to add my voice to those expressing concern about the loss of the Windows Café outdoor area. Whilst we have only occasionally dined there in the evenings we have enjoyed popping down for a drink and maybe getting a little nibble (titter ye not!!) before going to MDR for dinner. The outdoor area is, on cruises we have been on, a popular area for dinner with many people.

I do not see the need for another speciality restaurant and really doubt that we will ever use the new one.

Of much more concern, for us, is if the outdoor space is not available, or reduced in size, for breakfast and lunch. We enjoy lazy lunches outside (and after embarkation we always head straight up there) as well al fresco breakfasts. It is never easy getting an outdoor table, requiring luck or persistence, so reduced space will make that task much harder. Reduced or no outside space will put the indoor space under more pressure and I can foresee a lot congestion.

I am afraid that, unlike others, I see very little likelihood of Mr Pimental taking any notice of the concerns that have been raised - he certainly appeared to take no notice of concerns raised about the changes proposed and made two years ago and seemed to make a point about saying he would not take any notice.

We are still looking forward to our two Azamara cruises next year (both after the refurbs) but do so now with a little trepidation.

It costs more to operate specialty restaurants than the revenue they bring in. They add these restaurants to help market the cruise line and keep customers happy. Somehow, "outside space for buffet dinners" isn't quite a draw for attracting new customers.

I doubt that!... remember customers have already paid for their meals in the fare costs....so speciality restaurants are revenue over and above that.

There is no way that cruise lines do this just for marketing.... anyway why would dining alfresco not attract new customers...it is very appealing to most of the posters on this forum!

John

I switched from a verandah cabin to a suite so that I could have a tub. I am solo, so a verandah cabin would be plenty of space; I hate showers. I never thought they would rip out the tubs, now I am concerned.

I doubt that!... remember customers have already paid for their meals in the fare costs....so speciality restaurants are revenue over and above that.

There is no way that cruise lines do this just for marketing.... anyway why would dining alfresco not attract new customers...it is very appealing to most of the posters on this forum!

John

The buffet food costs very little to produce and even less in terms of service than the costs to prepare food to order and serve. It's not as if they will be charging full city prices for the upcharge. They are probably lucky to break even on the additional costs of high quality ingredients, chef and staff, and additional servers needed.

You have much more experience with Azamara than I do, but it's hard to believe that a significant percentage eat in the buffet for dinner on any given cruise.

The buffet food costs very little to produce and even less in terms of service than the costs to prepare food to order and serve. It's not as if they will be charging full city prices for the upcharge. They are probably lucky to break even on the additional costs of high quality ingredients, chef and staff, and additional servers needed.

You have much more experience with Azamara than I do, but it's hard to believe that a significant percentage eat in the buffet for dinner on any given cruise.

It depends on what you call a "significant percentage". Obviously some of the buffets are more popular than others, but from our experience I would estimate that somewhere between a quarter to a third of passengers would eat there on most nights. I know on some ships the evening buffet is not popular - on our last Celebrity cruise we went up to the buffet one evening and it was practically deserted. On Azamara it is very different!

Edited by Jay19

I might as well weigh in on dining in the Sunset Bar issue. As you can see from my signature we have spent almost a year on Azamara, and have more cruises booked. We seldom eat in the MDR, not because we don;t like it, but the Sunset Bar is the 'place for us". I estimate that we have eaten 2/3 of our breakfasts, lunches and dinners there, including having plates delivered there from both the pool grill and the egg station of Windows- something they are very happy to do. The ambiance can't be beat for a very leisurely meal, many times just grazing over several hours, renewing old friendshipos, and making many new ones.Many of our friends who travel with us are quite upset about the change, ut I will remain in a "wait and see" mode until the details are firmed up and announced. If it were me I'd put the planned Tapas Bar in the Sunset area.

On a different note..... I didn't see any mention of the fitness facility. Will there be any enhancements to the gym? With all the wonderful food and beverages we have to workout more so we can eat :-)

Hello 81Zoomie,

I can't answer your question directly. As said earlier, we all have to wait for the final details of the various areas.

I can share with you a new video about the existing fitness options onboard Azamara Club Cruises!