Celebrity says you are upgraded but not true

cruise redhead

We made reservations for reflection for December months ago. As we are elite they said we were entitled to c2 upgrade. We chose best c3 cabin but requested c2 on hump. Last night we pulled up reservation to find that we were upgraded to great c2 on hump. I called TA to thank him only to find out he had no idea what I was talking about. He contacted celebrity who still has no idea what happened but said we were not upgraded. What a mess up and let down. Celebrity...get your act together.

When I book my clients who are captain's club members I will have them pick th cabin they want in the C2 category and then have the agent I work with at Celebrity refare it to the lower category price. This is all done at time of booking so that before the deposit is even applied we have a quote for the room they want for the price of the less expensive room.

Could this be what happened and no one explained it to you properly?

From my limited experience when I book a cruise I book the cabin that I am "upgraded" to and charged for the lower category, eg if I book a CC2 I am charged the CC3 price. I have done this for the last 6 cruises that I booked. The cabin that I want is booked and there is no request for a upgrade to the best cabin in the next category.

Your situation is rather confusing. Since you are Elite you must have cruised a few times and some how you missed the boat as how the upgrade works. The alternative is to cancel the cruise and rebook it using the proper procedure.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

We made reservations for reflection for December months ago. As we are elite they said we were entitled to c2 upgrade. We chose best c3 cabin but requested c2 on hump. Last night we pulled up reservation to find that we were upgraded to great c2 on hump. I called TA to thank him only to find out he had no idea what I was talking about. He contacted celebrity who still has no idea what happened but said we were not upgraded. What a mess up and let down. Celebrity...get your act together.

Are you saying that when you initially made you booking you were assigned a C3 cabin? Did you see it in on your invoice and on line?

Based on our experience you should have been given a C2 at the C3 price at the initial time of booking. I have no idea why Celebrity or your TA would have put you in a C3 cabin unless there were no C2 cabins availalble.

If OP didn't quite understand the way the upgrades are supposed to work, it still doesn't explain why she (or he) "pulled up reservation to find that we were upgraded to a great c2 on hump," only to find afterwards they were still in the original C3. Possibly something to do with requesting the C2 in the first place. The TA still should be able to change their booking to a C2 and get them the C3 price, no? And if they were working with a TA, why was this not done in the first place? Sounds like the TA is the one who needs to get his/her act together.

On Celebrity the "upgrade' is more of a "down price". You book the C2 cabin and pay the C3 price, or book category 7 but pay the category 8 price. You don't book a C3 cabin and then ask to be re-booked into a C2 later.

It's easy to misunderstand, since that isn't the way it's done on other cruise lines.

But the TA and their contact at Celebrity should have explained it when the initial booking was made.

OP, go back to your TA. They should be able to get you a C2 cabin for the price of the C3.

Add me to the list of confused people.

Did the OP not get the C2 on the hump they thought they had?

If you did get the C2, why are you unhappy that no one is calling it an upgrade? IMHO it's not an upgrade because that is what you qualified for as a Captain's Club member.

Also don't understand the request to be upgraded to a great C2 on the hump? :confused:

What is considered a great cabin on the hump and who determines it?

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I guess I have truly 'missed the boat' on these upgrades. We're Elite and Captains Club..never have we been upgraded for eg C3 to C2, nor have we paid the lower price. We book through the X rep and it's never mentioned to me that this is a possibility (duh! why would they if we're not smart enough to request it). Our cruise isn't until next March; should I contact our Rep or transfer this to an agency? Please advise...I feel pretty stupid right now.

I booked early April...right after they stopped the promos on 3/31...now i feel reeeeally stupid.

Don't know the cabin that you have booked but I wouldn't really worry about losing the upgrade. Most times it is basically the same cabin in a so called better location and the price difference is about $50 pp.

If you cancel to rebook and the prices have raised and you aren't getting the perks it wouldn't be worth paying to get that "free perk".

Look at what cabins are available in the CC2 and CC3. Chances are they are not that much different. The cabins on the slant of the humps have larger balconies than the others and I don't know if any are available or part of CC2, otherwise everything is the same. If it isn't feasible to cancel you could always change cabins in your category if you find one that looks better to you.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

I guess I have truly 'missed the boat' on these upgrades. We're Elite and Captains Club..never have we been upgraded for eg C3 to C2, nor have we paid the lower price. We book through the X rep and it's never mentioned to me that this is a possibility (duh! why would they if we're not smart enough to request it). Our cruise isn't until next March; should I contact our Rep or transfer this to an agency? Please advise...I feel pretty stupid right now.

I booked early April...right after they stopped the promos on 3/31...now i feel reeeeally stupid.

I just arrived at Elite status on my last cruise, but from all the reading and learning I have done, it was my understanding that you have to specifically ask for this pricing discount to be applied to your booking at the time the booking is made. What I don't understand is why the Celebrity agent cannot just add the booking incentive to your reservation. :confused:

oceangoer2 - short of canceling and rebooking your cruise, there may be nothing you can do. Prices may have gone up and/or booking incentives may have changed or become unavailable, which you wouldn't want to lose out on.

When I thought about it more, I realized that during the booking process I didn't recall them ever actually asking me if I was a Captain's Club Member during the collection of information. If there was a focus given by the Celebrity agents during the booking process to know this information at the time of the booking being made, maybe these kinds of "oversights" would be avoided.

I mean, really..... should you need to "ask" for a benefit that you are already entitled to? Why should it be so difficult??? Unless of course Celebrity is hoping that people won't know what they are entitled to and hope you don't get the benefit that they commit to providing to you as a frequent cruiser with Celebrity.

Case in point, I just made 2 reservations on Friday (one with Celebrity and one with Norwegian). The Norwegian agent was amazingly helpful in the attention she paid to collecting my booking information. One of the first questions she asked me was if I was a past cruiser with Norwegian (of course, I was! :D ). There were 4 adults being added to a booking for a Haven 2 bedroom family villa, but she even went out of her way to find discounts to apply to our reservation that I didn't know I would be eligible for simply by asking a few simple questions.

Didn't mean to turn my comment into a rant, but maybe some will take it that way. I only wanted to share my recent experience with others on this thread since it seems relevant.

Hope all works out for the OP in the end. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by vulcan1971

Here's the information on the Captain's Club one-category upgrade, from the Celebrity website

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

I just arrived at Elite status on my last cruise, but from all the reading and learning I have done, it was my understanding that you have to specifically ask for this pricing discount to be applied to your booking at the time the booking is made. What I don't understand is why the Celebrity agent cannot just add the booking incentive to your reservation. :confused:

oceangoer2 - short of canceling and rebooking your cruise, there may be nothing you can do. Prices may have gone up and/or booking incentives may have changed or become unavailable, which you wouldn't want to lose out on.

When I thought about it more, I realized that during the booking process I didn't recall them ever actually asking me if I was a Captain's Club Member during the collection of information. If there was a focus given by the Celebrity agents during the booking process to know this information at the time of the booking being made, maybe these kinds of "oversights" would be avoided.

I mean, really..... should you need to "ask" for a benefit that you are already entitled to? Why should it be so difficult??? Unless of course Celebrity is hoping that people won't know what they are entitled to and hope you don't get the benefit that they commit to providing to you as a frequent cruiser with Celebrity.

Case in point, I just made 2 reservations on Friday (one with Celebrity and one with Norwegian). The Norwegian agent was amazingly helpful in the attention she paid to collecting my booking information. One of the first questions she asked me was if I was a past cruiser with Norwegian (of course, I was! :D ). There were 4 adults being added to a booking for a Haven 2 bedroom family villa, but she even went out of her way to find discounts to apply to our reservation that I didn't know I would be eligible for simply by asking a few simple questions.

Didn't mean to turn my comment into a rant, but maybe some will take it that way. I only wanted to share my recent experience with others on this thread since it seems relevant.

Hope all works out for the OP in the end. Enjoy your cruise.

thanks to all who replied to my query....I know when I booked I asked what was available in C1 and C2 but the rep didn't acknowledge I could upgrade for a C3 price (she DID hesitate, so was thinking about it I guess). I'm calling her to find out what happened here and why "you have to ask for upgrades from an X rep". BTW...she did know I was a CC member. Should be in their 'things to mention' customer service pages re upgrading. Seems somewhat like an intentional oversight.

Edited by oceangoer2

thanks to all who replied to my query....I know when I booked I asked what was available in C1 and C2 but the rep didn't acknowledge I could upgrade for a C3 price (she DID hesitate, so was thinking about it I guess). I'm calling her to find out what happened here and why "you have to ask for upgrades from an X rep". BTW...she did know I was a CC member. Should be in their 'things to mention' customer service pages re upgrading. Seems somewhat like an intentional oversight.

Actually the main lesson to learn here is that if you had a Travel Agent like the one I use you would be reminded of it(although I know) every time I book Celebrity. The people that answer the phone at customer service at Celebrity are not always looking out for your best interest like a good TA will.

Actually the main lesson to learn here is that if you had a Travel Agent like the one I use you would be reminded of it(although I know) every time I book Celebrity. The people that answer the phone at customer service at Celebrity are not always looking out for your best interest like a good TA will.

thanks! comments appreciated.

I have found that you have to be very proactive with Celebrity. They rarely offer anything. I always carefully check all the promos and perks available for CC members and ask if I can get them. Also sometimes the rep will say no and I disagree so ask for a captains club rep or even tell them to contact the resolution department. You would be surprised at the number of times the rep has been wrong and I have been correct.

Unfortunately many of the reps do not know what they are doing so it is the luck of the draw who you reach. If you dont like the answer hang up and call again...you will probably get a different one.

This IMO is one of Celebrity's worst problems. I have usually gotten good information from captains club, as they are more experienced, so call their number.

Edited by ptrpanpens

Add me to the list of confused people.

Did the OP not get the C2 on the hump they thought they had?

If you did get the C2, why are you unhappy that no one is calling it an upgrade? IMHO it's not an upgrade because that is what you qualified for as a Captain's Club member.

You can add me to the list of the confused, too, but not because of what the OP said. They thought they were assigned a good C2 on the hump but X said that was not the case. As I read it, they paid for a C3, did not get a C2 upgrade, and are now back in some C3. What am I missing?

Is this a holiday cruise? That would help explain things.

Update: just called Captain's Club and they apologized that my X rep didn't mention upgrade to C2 from C3 at time of booking; she changed my cabin to a C2 at no extra expense. My problem is resolved. Not sure if the original OP has an answer to theirs.