What Broadway show would you like to see on Harmony?

Wicked

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

The Wiz

Anything Goes

On the Twentieth Century

Would love it if RCCL mixed it up and produced a rollicking farce. One Man Two Guvnors starred James Corden on Broadway, import from London, funniest show on the planet.

Everyone loves a good laugh and farces have mass appeal, even if you don't understand the language the comedy is very broad.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Fair enough. Do you want to email the Ceo and let him know we've hashed it out. ;)

I've not seen Shrek but thought it might make sense with the Dreamworks tie. There are lots of things to consider: cost, running length, company size, staging, popularity, and content. Juts as I'm sure they wouldn't mount a hard R-rated show like Avenue Q or BoM, I also doubt they'd mount an ALW religious show like Joseph or Jesus Christ Superstar. I have trouble thinking Wicked would be cheap enough, especially given there is not a movie version yet. After Cats, Phantom almost makes sense though the length and staging are definite strikes against it.

've not seen Shrek but thought it might make sense with the Dreamworks tie. There are lots of things to consider: cost, running length, company size, staging, popularity, and content.

Also cast composition is important -number of males to females, ability to have multiracial casting, not too age specific, etc.

With all of that in mind Shrek may be a very logical choice. It's not the best musical ever made, but it is entertaining and has a wide audience appeal. It was revised and tweaked for its touring production and was a much stronger show on the road than the original Broadway production. By contrast Jersey Boys is a little more adult in its themes, male dominated and requires a predominantly Caucasian cast, not exactly the flexibility needed when putting together a show for a cruise ship, especially considering the cast members will have to appear in the other production shows and parades onboard. So perhaps as popular as the show/music is, it may not be in the running. Shows like Hairspray, Chicago, Cats, Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You all work because of that very diversity in casting.

There are many fine shows out there that have been/ successful but need much more specific casting than is realistic for a ship, lack a broad appeal, name recognition, are too costly to produce, lack suitability for younger cruisers or are too old fashioned.

The Book of Mormon is coming to our town but my 22 year old DS says I should not go! Is it that bad for a slightly prudish Mom?

Slightly prudish? Your son is right. Don't go.

It is hilarious but is mature in about every way it can be. Language, sex, racism, and pokes massive fun at the absurdity of religion. I call it equal opportunity humor. It makes fun of everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Put it this way...if you don't like or watch South Park, you would not like Book of Mormon.

I don't watch South Park, won't go to Book Of Mormon! Another vote to stay home!

And I totally agree with your Phantom! I would love, love, love to see that on a cruise ship. I actually would love to see it anywhere! Have gone three times over the years and cannot get enough!

Lauri

I don't watch South Park, won't go to Book Of Mormon! Another vote to stay home!

And I totally agree with your Phantom! I would love, love, love to see that on a cruise ship. I actually would love to see it anywhere! Have gone three times over the years and cannot get enough!

Lauri

I absolutely LOVE Phantom of the Opera and think it would be perfect for a cruise ship. It would be perfect for the Harmony too.

That's what makes me always think of "Legally Blonde - the Musical". Pretty good music (although nothing people would know before they go in) with a story that (most) everyone knows.

I think "Wicked" is still looking for a feature film - they will likely not put the rights up for a long time. Many of those suggested are likely too "old fashioned" or just not viable similar to "Wicked". But, there are quite a few good choices that I would look forward to!

Legally Blonde - the Musical is on the Norwegian Getaway already.

I would guess whatever they are going with will have a couple of qualities to them:

Name Recognition - It's doubtful it will be something obscure to the general schmo out there who does not see broadway shows regularly. They want a well know show for purposes of marketing.

Family friendly - There were some people who complained Chicago was too adult for kids. It's a family-friendly line, expect a family friendly show.

Rights - Obviously something they get the rights to.

Phantom of the Opera would be good. Not sure how they'd get the necessary chandelier prop up above the audience or if it would pose as a hazard during inclement weather.

How about Rent? Or Miss Saigon? Both aren't set heavy.

Phantom of the Opera would be good. Not sure how they'd get the necessary chandelier prop up above the audience or if it would pose as a hazard during inclement weather.

Don't they have a leftover Chandelier from Oasis MDR. ;)

Rent is about people living with HIV, some of whom are gay, drug users and prostitutes, hardly cruise ship entertainment. It's an amazing show and I love it immensely, but it's not appropriate.

Miss Saigon has a helicopter land on stage, has numerous sets and involves the most controversial US military conflict of the last fifty years. There are many scenes set in a whorehouse and starts with the auction of a prostitute. Again - brilliant show, amazing music but totally wrong for this venue.

As much as I love Phantom, it's a VERY big show that demands top drawer talent. It's also long and dark. Les Miserables similar. Dreamgirls is too specific in casting requirements, as is Jersey Boys (plus it has a fair bit of coarse language). Chorus Line is rather mature in its themes, and might be perceived as dated. Legally Blonde, Rock of Ages, Priscilla, Million Dollar Quartet and After Midnight are all on NCL ships, so out of the running. Anything Disney is a no-go and Wicked is too wildly successful and expensive to produce.

Grease might be a possibility as those who grew up with it are now parents. It's available in a PG version, not too hard to cast and could be done with fairly minimal sets (The original show was done on a unit set).

Shrek has name value and ties in with the Dreamworks marketing relationship. It's an ok show, will entertain a diverse audience and easy to cast.

Another interesting show could be 9to5 - it was a moderate success on Broadway and has name recognition and is an ok show (again, just ok).

Other interesting possibilities could be the recent version of Cinderella (Rodgers & Hammerstein version), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Little Shop of Horrors and Singin' in the Rain.

Some shows that could play well (but lack recognition with mass market middle America) are Thouroughly Modern Millie, How to Succed in Business, 42nd Street (done by NCL in the 90s), On the Town, Nice Work if You Can Get It, and so on. Then there are the "classic" musicals from the 40s-60s that are excellent shows but could be perceived as corny or dated.

Rent is about people living with HIV, some of whom are gay, drug users and prostitutes, hardly cruise ship entertainment. It's an amazing show and I love it immensely, but it's not appropriate.

Miss Saigon has a helicopter land on stage, has numerous sets and involves the most controversial US military conflict of the last fifty years. There are many scenes set in a whorehouse and starts with the auction of a prostitute. Again - brilliant show, amazing music but totally wrong for this venue.

As much as I love Phantom, it's a VERY big show that demands top drawer talent. It's also long and dark. Les Miserables similar. Dreamgirls is too specific in casting requirements, as is Jersey Boys (plus it has a fair bit of coarse language). Chorus Line is rather mature in its themes, and might be perceived as dated. Legally Blonde, Rock of Ages, Priscilla, Million Dollar Quartet and After Midnight are all on NCL ships, so out of the running. Anything Disney is a no-go and Wicked is too wildly successful and expensive to produce.

Grease might be a possibility as those who grew up with it are now parents. It's available in a PG version, not too hard to cast and could be done with fairly minimal sets (The original show was done on a unit set).

Shrek has name value and ties in with the Dreamworks marketing relationship. It's an ok show, will entertain a diverse audience and easy to cast.

Another interesting show could be 9to5 - it was a moderate success on Broadway and has name recognition and is an ok show (again, just ok).

Other interesting possibilities could be the recent version of Cinderella (Rodgers & Hammerstein version), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Little Shop of Horrors and Singin' in the Rain.

Some shows that could play well (but lack recognition with mass market middle America) are Thouroughly Modern Millie, How to Succed in Business, 42nd Street (done by NCL in the 90s), On the Town, Nice Work if You Can Get It, and so on. Then there are the "classic" musicals from the 40s-60s that are excellent shows but could be perceived as corny or dated.

Excellent synopsis!

9 to 5 would probably work, but given the complaints against "Cats", I think it's probably dated as well. Grease could work. Most of the shows I've seen lately aren't really "all age" appropriate!

The gem is Wicked, but can't see it happening!

I absolutely LOVE Phantom of the Opera and think it would be perfect for a cruise ship. It would be perfect for the Harmony too.

I could be wrong, but I think Phantom of the Opera has a shortened version that they did in Vegas. I didn't see it, so can't be 100% sure. I suppose that, if they did a shortened version there, it could work on a cruise ship.

Excellent synopsis!

9 to 5 would probably work, but given the complaints against "Cats", I think it's probably dated as well. Grease could work. Most of the shows I've seen lately aren't really "all age" appropriate!

The gem is Wicked, but can't see it happening!

9 to 5 premiered on Broadway in 2009 and featured an all new score by Dolly Parton. It starred Allison Janney as Violet (the Lily Tomlinson role). It only played on Broadway for 5 months but had successful US and UK tours.

I agree that Wicked is "THE" show that everyone would love to see aboard (myself included), and I'm sure that many in the RCCL entertainment division would love to produce it. But I just think the casting demands, licensing costs (not yet available) and production costs would be insurmountable. Due to demand and cost RCCL would have to charge for admission, which is a path I'm sure none of us want them to pursue.

I could be wrong, but I think Phantom of the Opera has a shortened version that they did in Vegas. I didn't see it, so can't be 100% sure. I suppose that, if they did a shortened version there, it could work on a cruise ship.

Correct - it was entitled "Phantom: the Vegas Spectacular" had a running time of 95 minutes without intermission and played in a purpose built theater at the Venetian Hotel. It cut 45 minutes off the shows running time. Given that, it could be a candidate as it was opened for theatrical licensing in 2011. Somehow though I think if RCCL wanted to produce Phantom they would already have done so when the Oasis or Allure went in for drydock over the last two years.

If I remember correctly both Hairspray and Chicago were truncated "Vegas" versions as well that ran about 95-100 minutes without intermission. Can anyone confirm this?

I would guess whatever they are going with will have a couple of qualities to them:

Name Recognition - It's doubtful it will be something obscure to the general schmo out there who does not see broadway shows regularly. They want a well know show for purposes of marketing.

Family friendly - There were some people who complained Chicago was too adult for kids. It's a family-friendly line, expect a family friendly show.

Rights - Obviously something they get the rights to.

I guess if Chicago was too adult, Hair would be out. :eek:

I would love to see Beautiful, Jersey Boys or West Side Story.