What Broadway show would you like to see on Harmony?

We saw Zorro in West End a few years ago, and that was fantastic - very high energy, set to the music of the Gypsy Kings. Not sure if it was as popular as many of the musicals mentioned already, but it would be fun and entertaining.

Mmm I think the naked people would rule that one out.

Joseph and his amazing technicolor dreamcoat would be great fun. Fun for all ages and educational.

If I remember, it was over 40 years ago, there was only one short scene where they were nude. It would be easy to do without the nudity. It's been done many times. Although the play itself wouldn't appeal to a lot of people, the music was great.

Edited by gaylemh

Mmm I think the naked people would rule that one out.

Joseph and his amazing technicolor dreamcoat would be great fun. Fun for all ages and educational.

There was only one scene that had nudity and it had nothing to do with story, most Broadway plays would be edited for time and for limited cast

Agreed!

Jersey Boys is a great show, but the cast is too male dominated to produce on a ship. The ensemble of the broadway production are the dancers for the other production show so there needs to be a good gender balance. Jersey Boys only has 3 (maybe 4) women in the cast.

Catch Me If You Can would be a fantastic choice. It has many large dance numbers, diverse casting opportunities, a good sized ensemble, and also has the name recognition due to the film. Also, it has a simple set. With a large bandstand (similar to Chicago) at the rear of the stage with various drops and furniture creating the rest of the set.

Correct - it was entitled "Phantom: the Vegas Spectacular" had a running time of 95 minutes without intermission and played in a purpose built theater at the Venetian Hotel. It cut 45 minutes off the shows running time. Given that, it could be a candidate as it was opened for theatrical licensing in 2011. Somehow though I think if RCCL wanted to produce Phantom they would already have done so when the Oasis or Allure went in for drydock over the last two years.

If I remember correctly both Hairspray and Chicago were truncated "Vegas" versions as well that ran about 95-100 minutes without intermission. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, both Hairspray and Chicago were the 100 minute versions.

More shows that I think would be great fits for a ship.

Pippin: Ensemble cast, Acrobats in cast for other production show, simple sets

Thoroughly Modern Millie: Ensemble cast, Movie, many dance numbers

Footloose: Ensemble cast, major film recognition, dance heavy show

All Shook Up: Ensemble cast, diverse cast, Elvis music, dance numbers, simple sets

Addams Family: Ensemble cast, major recognition, comical show

Memphis: Ensemble cast, diverse cast, dance heavy show

Jersey Boys is a great show, but the cast is too male dominated to produce on a ship. The ensemble of the broadway production are the dancers for the other production show so there needs to be a good gender balance. Jersey Boys only has 3 (maybe 4) women in the cast.

Agreed. As much as it is a great show, I don't expect it will be chosen (though, anything can happen).

More shows that I think would be great fits for a ship.

Pippin: Ensemble cast, Acrobats in cast for other production show, simple sets

Thoroughly Modern Millie: Ensemble cast, Movie, many dance numbers

Footloose: Ensemble cast, major film recognition, dance heavy show

All Shook Up: Ensemble cast, diverse cast, Elvis music, dance numbers, simple sets

Addams Family: Ensemble cast, major recognition, comical show

Memphis: Ensemble cast, diverse cast, dance heavy show

I think Footloose would be great!

It would be nice to see something I haven't seen before, but living close to Toronto, I probably go to far too many :D

Priscilla would be my top choice, peeps would be leaving the theatre with big smiles on their faces and voices sore from singing along. One of my all-time faves.

Wicked is a close second.

Other suggestions - Grease, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz.

I'm NOT looking forward to Cats on Oasis. I'd rather see Hairspray again.

Last Sunday, I attended a performance of AIDA (Music by Elton John, Lyrics by Tim Rice) at our summer music theater.

It was wonderful and the costumes were beautiful.

Next up will be, My Son Pinocchio, followed by Billy Elliot, Big Fish and Hello, Dolly. Big Fish, sounds like a good one for a cruise ship. :)

It would be nice to see something I haven't seen before, but living close to Toronto, I probably go to far too many :D

Priscilla would be my top choice, peeps would be leaving the theatre with big smiles on their faces and voices sore from singing along. One of my all-time faves.

Wicked is a close second.

Other suggestions - Grease, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz.

I'm NOT looking forward to Cats on Oasis. I'd rather see Hairspray again.

Sound of Music is one of my all time favorites, but they would never be able to have it on a cruise ship - too many kids.

You are coming up with some great plays! I will have to google a few that are unfamiliar to me.

I wish they would start a Harmony thread like they have for Quantum. I am following the "keel blocks are in the house" thread and it is great! Once Quantum sails, it will be all about Harmony!

Quantum's Broadway play was announced in June for a November sailing. If Harmony sails in June 2016, maybe they plan a January 2016 announcement?

Great suggestions! lauri

Phantom of the Opera

On our Oasis cruise in March, the stage director gave the backstage tour for Diamond members. It was excellent, the best we've ever had. One thing he said when talking about Cats is that ALW had insisted that it be done unabridged, which is why it was so long (and why so many people were likely leaving), as opposed to abridged versions of other shows that they had done. Anyway, his theory was that they wanted to get the relationship so that they could have other shows in the future, specifically Phantom.

I just noticed that someone else mentioned a Vegas version of Phantom earlier in this thread.

Edited by MisterBill99

Joseph is a great show. Amusingly, I recently wanted the Donny Osmond version on DVD from Netflix, and there are a few negative reviews on the site from people who did not think it was accurate to the biblical source. So I wonder how that would work on a cruise ship. It's certainly short enough to do. It does have a heavily male cast, however.

Grease would be a great choice.

Edited by MisterBill99