5 euros each to leave the ship

antsp

The only way I see to get rid of insidious fees like this is to boycott any cruises that go to such a port. Or, if you go, refuse to get off the ship. Eventually, if enough people raised a stink about it, the cruise lines will either shift their itineraries or else the people charging the fee will back down.

The only way I see to get rid of insidious fees like this is to boycott any cruises that go to such a port. Or, if you go, refuse to get off the ship. Eventually, if enough people raised a stink about it, the cruise lines will either shift their itineraries or else the people charging the fee will back down.

These Ports want to have visitors to bring revenues to their coffers.If one is not aloud to travel by foot out of the Port gate then it should be free to the port gate anyway by transportation:cool:

Edited by kruisey

Once I was in a port (can't remember which one, but not Livorno) where passengers weren't allowed to walk through the industrial port so the only options to get into town were to take the Princess shuttle, a taxi or private transportation that was hired. Each of these options cost money - even the Princess shuttle. We only had these choices, so it was either pay or stay on the ship.

That used to be the case in St. Petersburg, when the cruise ships docked at the old industrial dock. It was at least a mile and a half to the port exit, you weren't allowed to walk through there (I had a Russian visa, so I wasn't on an excursion, but my parents were on a private tour - the tour driver agreed to let me ride in their van for free, to get me out of the port).

This sounds like a port issue, not a Princess issue. As has been said, it's not unusual to have to take a shuttle or transfer out of the port area. The passenger has already disembarked before having to pay the 5€ so it seems to me that you're not being charged to leave the ship.

Should Princess pre-pay the 5€ and tack it on to your cruise fare? What about those who don't plan to leave the ship? They'd be charged for a service they're not using.

The best thing is to do your research and don't take a cruise or disembark the ship if there's a charge for the port shuttle bus.

Really two issues here - 1. Not being allowed to walk from the ship to the Port exit and 2. Charge for the shuttle to get out of the Port area. (This assumes I understood the OP correctly.)

1. Not being allowed to walk through the Port area - somewhat common around the world. Usually this happens in Ports where the Cruise Ship docks in the working Port area.

In these cases, there is usually some sort of shuttle to get you out of the port, and/or taxis and tour buses (cruise ship tours and private tours) can pick you up at the ship.

2. Shuttle charge - In my experience most shuttles, when required, are provided by the Port authorities - no change. However, sometimes there is a fee, as I guess OP experienced. To have a fee is not unheard of by any means, but a surprise when you come face to face with it.

When I was last in Livorno I was on a pre-arranged private tour and did not have to pay "at the gate" as one might say. If the fee was in effect at that time I guess it was included in my tour cost.

I feel the same way & since none of us know how the port of Livorno charges to shuttle passengers to the front gate, we're all speculating about how it is done. There are other ports around the world where it is also unsafe to walk through a busy industrial port requiring shuttles for passenger safety.

To me, if the port charges a flat feel to shuttle passengers to the front gate then adding the cost to taxes & fees that each passenger pays would result in no extra charge to take the shuttle.

If the port instead charges a fee for each passenger using the shuttle, then I think the OPs experience was the best procedure. So many passengers take tours (Princess & independently) & I don't think they should have that cost added to their cruise fare's taxes & fees and instead for each passenger using the shuttle to pay for it.

Neither procedure is "fair" for everyone however going to the wonderful destinations from Livorno are not to be missed & whether I'm charged a €5 fee or not is not something to get too upset about.

This thread should have been renamed " 5 Euros to ride the bus?"

There are too many thread titles that do not accurately reflect the true situation...including this one. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm curious if there was a notification of some kind that there would be an extra charge when you got off the ship. Was there an announcement or anything in the Patter?

From what I've gathered, IMHO, that the ship docks in an unsafe area and if you want to sight see or go shopping the wisest option is to purchase travel into a safer part of the city. I've got no problem with that as long as I'm notified of the procedure ahead of time. Its part of being a tourist. :D

The suggestion to boycott leaving the ship to protest a Shuttle bus fee is beyond belief, especially at a port like Livorno, the gateway to Pisa and Florence. For many, this will be their first time to visit there and are not about to boycott their time there over a 5 Euro bus fare. :rolleyes:

The suggestion to boycott leaving the ship to protest a Shuttle bus fee is beyond belief, especially at a port like Livorno, the gateway to Pisa and Florence. For many, this will be their first time to visit there and are not about to boycott their time there over a 5 Euro bus fare. :rolleyes:

Also visiting the beautiful walled city of Lucca or wine tasting in Tuscany. :)

I reread the post about boycotting destinations which at first thought it could be a joke but it appears to be serious. Good luck with that campaign to boycott all of the wonderful destinations from Livorno over a €5 fee for those needing a shuttle to the front gate. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Be thankful it was the port charging ONLY €5

If princess were running them they seem to want a min of $8 each way for shuttles on the trip I did.

Or in the extreme Edinburgh, ships bus return $80, local shuttle bus $15 return.

Or the ultimate cruise line upcharge, Belfast Giants causeway tour.

Ship $200(half day) or local similar tour with more, full day, $40.

Livorno is not the port you want to walk in. It's not a cruise port. It's an industrial port that happens to accept cruise ships. Nobody will let you wander around airport's operation area, right? And I doubt any company will volunteer to drive you around out of goodness of their heart for free. It's easy to get lost (no signs), and can get twisty/turny.

Princess could probably charge more, but what if some passengers stay on ships? Money lost.

I stopped there on NCL. NCL provided shuttles to train station, but they were 12 euros per person, charged to ship account. Or you can pay a shuttle to drop you outside of port gates.

This is a sore point especially when your a family of 4 and your paying for all. I think if you've paid for a cruise to take you places if you can't physically walk or are not allowed too that free transportation should be provided.

Is this fee charged to every passenger from the ship if they are on a Princess tour, a private tour or just those that want to go into the town on their own. It has been a while since I have visited that port, but I will be soon and just want to understand what to expect.

This is a sore point especially when your a family of 4 and your paying for all. I think if you've paid for a cruise to take you places if you can't physically walk or are not allowed too that free transportation should be provided.

Who should pay for that "free transportation" for your family?

Is this fee charged to every passenger from the ship if they are on a Princess tour, a private tour or just those that want to go into the town on their own. It has been a while since I have visited that port, but I will be soon and just want to understand what to expect.

Hopefully the OP will post a clarification but the way I read it the €5 fee is roundtrip to the front gate only for passengers not on tours despite her title for the thread.

Princess or whatever cruise you're on, If you pay for a cruise which takes you to certain destinations then you should be able to get to the destination without paying a further fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princess likely doesn't have much leverage with the government as far as "demanding" they remove the fee. It does sound like they don't want people walking around the port area. However, I paid for a cruise. I can probably handle the €5 fee. :rolleyes:

I can see why the fee is levied and necessary however, I think this charge should be detailed in the itinerary so the passenger has notice of it and who knows maybe it is? If not then I can see why someone could be angry about this.

Princess or whatever cruise you're on, If you pay for a cruise which takes you to certain destinations then you should be able to get to the destination without paying a further fee.

You were delivered to the destination you paid for. The cruise line is only responsible for delivering you to the dock. After that, you're on your own.

I can see why the fee is levied and necessary however, I think this charge should be detailed in the itinerary so the passenger has notice of it and who knows maybe it is? If not then I can see why someone could be angry about this.

That is a very reasonable answer. At least in the individual port information. Since that fee only applies to those taking the local shuttle bus out of the port, and not to those on private or Princess tours, that note should be made in the daily Patter. Or is it already?

FYI My Mediterranean cruise cost over 10K for the two of us. It was amazing and I still cannot see "getting angry" about a 5 Euro bus fee. Life is too short and you are on a Mediterranean Cruise!!!

But that's just me I guess. :cool:

I understand everyone has there opinions but some of us travel on a budget. It's not mentioned anywhere on the website, that I can see.

The first cruise I sailed RCCI on for 7 days in the Med included 3 stops which we were expected to pay to get from dock to dock gate as we weren't allowed to walk X 4 people which adds up especially if not factured into a budjet.

If you pay 10k for a cruise I wouldn't expect you to understand.

I wonder what people's opinions would be if arriving on a few Caribbean islands you were advised to get down the keyside/jetty via a small bus it would cost you $7 as you weren't allowed to walk, food for thought...

Edited by gailjen

I understand everyone has there opinions but some of us travel on a budget. It's not mentioned anywhere on the website, that I can see.

The first cruise I sailed RCCI on for 7 days in the Med included 3 stops which we were expected to pay to get from dock to dock gate as we weren't allowed to walk X 4 people which adds up especially if not factured into a budjet.

If you pay 10k for a cruise I would expect you to understand.

I wonder what people's opinions would be if arriving on a few Caribbean islands you were advised to get down the keyside/jetty via a small bus it would cost you $7 as you weren't allowed to walk, food for thought...

What can you do about it? Not much. Either you pay or stay on the ship.

This seems to be happening more and more. I was quite surprised at how many stops they pulled this on when we sailed the Regal. Some were 10-15 euro. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Airline X got you to a certain destination (country). Are they obligated to pay your visa fee too?

Ship got you to Livorno. Their side of contract is fulfilled. What else do you expect? Maybe a cab ride home when you disembark?

Airline X got you to a certain destination (country). Are they obligated to pay your visa fee too?

Ship got you to Livorno. Their side of contract is fulfilled. What else do you expect? Maybe a cab ride home when you disembark?

I don't know what you mean about visa fee, however I think you'd be a bit miffed if Airline X charged you $7 dollars to catch the bus to the terminal building as your not allowed to walk for safety reasons.

Cool cruiser, I agree. I think the cruise companies need to be a bit more honest and let passenger know upfront.

So, Princess should offer free shuttles to Rome, Cairo or Beijing? After all, there are many ports on many itineraries where the ship docks in a commercial port that's far away from the major city or the downtown area. I've found that it's actually not the usual procedure for cruise lines to offer free shuttles to the attraction.

There is always a notice in the Patter with any shuttle or pay transportation at each port plus it's always covered in the port talk.

So, Princess should offer free shuttles to Rome, Cairo or Beijing? After all, there are many ports on many itineraries where the ship docks in a commercial port that's far away from the major city or the downtown area. I've found that it's actually not the usual procedure for cruise lines to offer free shuttles to the attraction.

There is always a notice in the Patter with any shuttle or pay transportation at each port plus it's always covered in the port talk.

Kind of figured that Pam, Thanks for providing the true definitive answer once again...

Dixon