5 euros each to leave the ship

antsp

Thank you I was wondering if the shuttle took you into town or only to the port enterance. Would you happen to know if it is walking distance from where the bus drops you to the train station or would you then need a local bus to get you there? This is one port I am a bit confused about as I would like to make my own way to Florence but am not sure how to get to the train station (other than by an expensive taxi)

You have to take another bus from the shuttle bus to the train station. I think it is the number 1, and it's about a 10 minute ride. The only quicker alternative is to take a taxi from the ship to the train station, though you may be able to find someone to share with you.

While I don't think anyone really likes to have to pay 5e to leave the port area, I doubt that this would be an issue if Princess would just give notice of the fee in the itinerary. The good news is that all who have read this thread know of the fee now.:)

. I posted it as a point to discuss on cruise critic, and that's what I did. Once again it gets personal and cc members attack you. Pam CA, the Rome example is wrong as Princess advertise the port as Civit....

No ones attacking anyone. When you post questions on a forum such as this what do you expect? Everyone to agree with you? You have been on CC long enough to know its a discussion board. I asked about your cruise because you seem to be upset about this and you had not said how the cruise was. :(

While I don't think anyone really likes to have to pay 5e to leave the port area, I doubt that this would be an issue if Princess would just give notice of the fee in the itinerary. The good news is that all who have read this thread know of the fee now.:)

This is the key point and may even be against EU/UK regulations on brochure information and included fees if not very borderline.

I brought this topic up on principal and not about cost. In my opinion it's wrong that you have to pay to leave the port. In Livarno you have to. Naples is free, Civitchechia is free, it's the first time I'm aware of this. No it hasn't ruined my cruise, that's as good as ever. I posted it as a point to discuss on cruise critic, and that's what I did. Once again it gets personal and cc members attack you. Pam CA, the Rome example is wrong as Princess advertise the port as Civit....

Is it wrong to pay to ride a city bus? That bus does not belong to Princess.

As noted this information was posted in the Patter as well as mentioned in the port talks.

Glad it did not ruin your cruise..

As a point for discussion, you totally succeeded in creating that.

A disagreement is not necessarily an attack. (my wife tends to mix this up at times also):eek:

I cannot believe that this topic has had so many posts! :D

So, Princess should offer free shuttles to Rome, Cairo or Beijing? After all, there are many ports on many itineraries where the ship docks in a commercial port that's far away from the major city or the downtown area. I've found that it's actually not the usual procedure for cruise lines to offer free shuttles to the attraction.

There is always a notice in the Patter with any shuttle or pay transportation at each port plus it's always covered in the port talk.

Thank you for answering my question.

Is it wrong to pay to ride a city bus? That bus does not belong to Princess.

No, riding a city bus from the port into the city should have a charge.

Getting from the ship to a port entrance should not have a charge if the port will not permit you to walk from the ship to the entrance.

If I am booked on private tour - where the car pick up? Do we need to pay to get to a pick up point?

Two years ago our private van tour at Livorno was able to get us by the ship & we were not charged for any transfer within the port.

If I am booked on private tour - where the car pick up? Do we need to pay to get to a pick up point?

This is a question best asked of the tour provider. We usually receive quite detailed instructions on where to meet when we book private excursions -- if you didn't, contact your tour provider now.

Edited by capriccio

No, riding a city bus from the port into the city should have a charge.

Getting from the ship to a port entrance should not have a charge if the port will not permit you to walk from the ship to the entrance.

You got it in a nutshell:D

They normally let tour guides etc in to the dock area. ;)

I would still double check with the tour provider.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This is the key point and may even be against EU/UK regulations on brochure information and included fees if not very borderline.

If it is against EU/UK regulations, then you'll have to take that up with the port. Princess has nothing to do with the fee as charged by the port.

No ones attacking anyone. When you post questions on a forum such as this what do you expect? Everyone to agree with you? You have been on CC long enough to know its a discussion board. I asked about your cruise because you seem to be upset about this and you had not said how the cruise was. :(

Cruise is great thankyou, no complaints

I took three screenshots from Marine Traffic the day Heather (antsp) and Emerald Princess were in Livorno just to eventually give those who haven't been there an idea of the distances involved from where the ship was docked to center city.

The first and second picture are mainly of the dock area, with the approximate length of Emerald Princess (in blue) shown by Marine Traffic. The last picture is an overview of the port and center city with the ship indicated by a blue icon:

17864821453_d26b9e84a7_b.jpg

17864821503_b659b9b501_b.jpg

17864821533_e6367fafd7_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

The suggestion to boycott leaving the ship to protest a Shuttle bus fee is beyond belief, especially at a port like Livorno, the gateway to Pisa and Florence. For many, this will be their first time to visit there and are not about to boycott their time there over a 5 Euro bus fare. :rolleyes:

What they need is an Italian version of Hilo Hatties! :eek: Free shuttles to and from. :p

If it is against EU/UK regulations, then you'll have to take that up with the port. Princess has nothing to do with the fee as charged by the port.

Not controlled by Princess, and I would think the ports would know what is legal or not.

It is not the charge that is against the regs it is Princess not telling people in the brochures and the web pages.

The EU package holiday regulations may make this a Princess issue as princess are required to have information in brochures and web pages for any charges a passenger will have that are not included in the fare.

The actual wording in the regulations is

The price of the package, if the price may be revised in accordance with the term which may be included in the contract under regulation 11, an indication of the possibility of such price revisions, and an indication of any dues, taxes or fees chargeable for certain services (landing, embarkation or disembarkation fees at ports and airports and tourist taxes) where such costs are not included in the package

This is a tough one. We had issues finding our private tour guide last year because they would not let them park in that area (Princess shuttles only) and had to take a bus to the tour bus for our group.

However if you are going on a Princess tour why should you have to pay a fee? I don't agree with the fee, but it is not imposed by the cruiseline but rather the port itself.

In the future, maybe Princess should add the fee to the port guide so passengers are aware of it.

I wish I could be there and have to pay the 5€. If anybody needs me, I'll be at work....again.

First World problems...;)

:D

LOL! To me, 5 Euro is nothing compared to the joy of seeing Florence! Heck, I'd pay 10. [emoji1]

Bad analogy. This isn't a fee imposed by the cruise line. A better analogy would be if DFW charged a fee to leave the airport. Why should Delta pay that fee even if you're just connecting through?

The OP reported that there was a gate where they charged you the fee. You were not charged to exit the ship only to board the bus and pass through the gate.

Princess fulfilled it's obligation when it docked in Livarno. It has no further obligation to pay for your shore excursions including bus rides.

Besides, what would it matter? The fee would just be tacked onto the price of your ticket as are all the other fees and taxes.

I would not be surprised to learn that the taxi drivers, bus operators, etc., lobbied the port to impose this fee in order to skim money from cruise line passengers. This sort of thing is common in the travel industry. Think of fees imposed on rental cars by local governments. Or, special taxes on hotels statys. Just a good way to tax people who do not vote in the local elections. That said, the issue is with the port and not the cruise line.

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks Dave for posting the port pictures. Its a very deceiving area as far as distance. Looks like they are close together but they are not. I have traveled between docks/piers there many times. You can see the small bridge next to Fortezza Vecchia and then its a couple of blocks to the city center. :)

It is not the charge that is against the regs it is Princess not telling people in the brochures and the web pages.

The EU package holiday regulations may make this a Princess issue as princess are required to have information in brochures and web pages for any charges a passenger will have that are not included in the fare.

The actual wording in the regulations is

The price of the package, if the price may be revised in accordance with the term which may be included in the contract under regulation 11, an indication of the possibility of such price revisions, and an indication of any dues, taxes or fees chargeable for certain services (landing, embarkation or disembarkation fees at ports and airports and tourist taxes) where such costs are not included in the package

I suggest Princess include in their brochures a statement that: "Riding a bus in many locations many require a fee". Evidently, those in the UK/EU may not be aware of this convention.

I suggest Princess include in their brochures a statement that: "Riding a bus in many locations many require a fee". Evidently, those in the UK/EU may not be aware of this convention.

The issues in this location is it is not "may" it is "must" unless you have alternative transport that does not include walking there is no free option to get out of the port, which is what the cruise line is selling you "livorno for Piza and Florence"