5 euros each to leave the ship

antsp

LOL! To me, 5 Euro is nothing compared to the joy of seeing Florence! Heck, I'd pay 10. [emoji1]

Current exchange rate: 1 Euro = 1.1 USD

€5 = $5.56

Not a problem. Cost for two people is about the same as the cost of one drink onboard.

I believe those rules apply only to charges by/through the travel provider, and/or those that cannot be avoided. Not 100 percent sure tho.

It is not the charge that is against the regs it is Princess not telling people in the brochures and the web pages.

The EU package holiday regulations may make this a Princess issue as princess are required to have information in brochures and web pages for any charges a passenger will have that are not included in the fare.

The actual wording in the regulations is

The price of the package, if the price may be revised in accordance with the term which may be included in the contract under regulation 11, an indication of the possibility of such price revisions, and an indication of any dues, taxes or fees chargeable for certain services (landing, embarkation or disembarkation fees at ports and airports and tourist taxes) where such costs are not included in the package

Thanks Dave for posting the port pictures. Its a very deceiving area as far as distance. Looks like they are close together but they are not. I have traveled between docks/piers there many times. You can see the small bridge next to Fortezza Vecchia and then its a couple of blocks to the city center. :)

Yes, thank you. It certainly gives more information to the reality of the distance.

Just keep in mind that "taxes, fees and port expenses" are mandatory fees paid by Princess to the government and ports. It is not money that the cruise line keeps and makes a profit on.

+100 :D

~*~

To add to the conversation about tenders, even though Princess might use tenders provided by The Port or related companies on occasion, this may be a requirement imposed upon Princess in order to make that port of call. Of all the tender ports we've gone into, I think Belize was the only one where we did not use Princess tenders. As a side note: There is the advantage in using a ports' tenders as the ship does not have to spend the time to put their own boats in and out of the water. As far as cost, I'm sure Princess and others have done the math.

With regard to shuttles used in port, I consider us very fortunate when the city/port provides complimentary shuttle service from the dock. Alternatively, next best is having the option to walk (free) or ride (small fee). But because the Grand-Class ships are so large, often times they have to dock at the commercial ports forcing the usage of shuttles rather than docking "in-town" which would allow walking. Very few times we have had to pay for a shuttle...so it's all good in my book.

I'm sure, Ports/Cities negotiate different terms with cruise companies. Depending on how smart the towns' powers-that-be are....provide complimentary shuttles, lower port fees, etc. and in return you get a nice revenue stream for the city. On the flip side, the cruise company might need to acquiesce a bit because the port is needed to fill gaps/times/distance/very desirable/no other option...and the city knows this and has leverage in the negotiations.

Carnival, et al, are smart...they weigh it all out. In the balance, happy cruisers = money for the cruise company.

In the case of the Emerald, a hand-full of passengers (out of +/- 3000 passengers) not happy with paying a shuttle fee in one port out of ten on my current itinerary (not including embarkation/disembarkation)...is minor in the grand scheme of things. Have one less glass of wine or cocktail in a 14-day trip and it's paid for. :D

132 posts...the shuttle fee could be incorporated into the port tax/fees.

Would you believe that we had people complaining at St Thomas VI about an increase in the taxi fees to downtown (I think it was about $0.50 to a dollar? Every time we stop there now we laugh and point out the mansions at the top of the hill where all the taxi-drivers live.

The issues in this location is it is not "may" it is "must" unless you have alternative transport that does not include walking there is no free option to get out of the port, which is what the cruise line is selling you "livorno for Piza and Florence"

Princess fulfilled it's contractual obligation when it delivered you to the port.

Going on an onshore excursion with Princess.The Tour Companies and the taxi were only allowed to the port gate. We transferred at the gate onto a Port owned coach which took us to the ship.There was no charge for this Port owned bus:)

Edited by kruisey

I know there is the principle of the fee etc- but really it's only €5. It's not going to break the bank and when on vacation, there are always surprises.

So, for a family of 4 it is only €20, just to get to the port entrance.

So, for a family of 4 it is only €20, just to get to the port entrance.

And back again later another €20, then at Toulon the Regal was too large to dock in Toulon ( the contractural port ) so it docked outside in la seyne sur mer and yes you guessed their guests had to pay for their own transportation to the port where Princess ships normally dock. Hey ho just another €20 there and back.

Someone mentioned above how long this thread is over 5€ to me it's the principle, just like last year when Princess tried to introduce $15 for the pizza restaurant and was it $3 dollars for room service. Did you all agree with this 😚 or where you kicking up a fuss as it affected you?

I am sure someone could come up with a scenario that would outrage many who say "it's only five euros". Let's say ... $5 charge if you want to get into the Princess theatre more than 15 minutes before the performance ... Deck chairs around the pool carry a $5 charge per day ...

I do not think that port authorities make these decisions without input from their major customers.

..........................SNIP.................................

Someone mentioned above how long this thread is over 5€ to me it's the principle, just like last year when Princess tried to introduce $15 for the pizza restaurant and was it $3 dollars for room service. Did you all agree with this or where you kicking up a fuss as it affected you?

The big stink about those charges was because Princess implemented them during a cruise-no advance announcement. This is different as it is the port and not Princess imposing the fee. Also, from what I've read, it's 5€ round trip not each way.

Edited by Ethel5

I am sure someone could come up with a scenario that would outrage many who say "it's only five euros". Let's say ... $5 charge if you want to get into the Princess theatre more than 15 minutes before the performance ... Deck chairs around the pool carry a $5 charge per day ...

I do not think that port authorities make these decisions without input from their major customers.

They charge far more than $5 for the sanctuary and you have to run up there as soon as you board or line up early in the morning like it's the release of a new apple product to get a seat. I would welcome the $5 deck chair charge if it prevented chair hogging.

They charge far more than $5 for the sanctuary and you have to run up there as soon as you board or line up early in the morning like it's the release of a new apple product to get a seat. I would welcome the $5 deck chair charge if it prevented chair hogging.

Should have been on the last Royal princes cruise no problem getting a chair anywhere outside.

I did not go back and check but expected sanctuary sales for the trip were an estimate of Zero by the guys showing people round first day.

Would like to add that this 5€ charge is certainly new.it wasn't there when we cruised into Livorno in August 2014 on the Regal.

And again,Naples port is virtually in the city. You walk out and you are on the road so there's no issue of a long walk out

This has been an issue rumbiling on for many years, report for 2010

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/2010/11/01/the-great-port-shuttle-debate

........From now on, P&O Cruises will no longer charge for shuttle buses “in ports of call where it is not possible to walk into town”, according to a statement from the company.

cc-blog-ventura-300x189.jpg

P&O has introduced free shuttles in port

So, no more forking out €5 a head in Livorno for a five-minute bus ride from the ship to the town. Livorno, in particular, has to be one of the biggest cruising rip-offs, on all lines, not just P&O, as you’re not allowed to walk through the docks in the first place and have to take the shuttle bus, an excursion bus or a taxi........

Edited by insidecabin

This issue has been beaten to death elsewhere on CC. Yes, the complain is valid, but that is just the way it is! The Port of Livorno has long been one of the least friendly ports when it comes to cruise ship passengers. This is not the fault of any cruise line but simply the political and business situation with the local port authority. The location of most of the cruise line piers precludes walking through the port (although we have done this a few times much to the displeasure of the police and port security). The lack of a free internal shuttle bus system (like the excellent shuttle system in Civitavecchia) is simply a port decision. Lobbying by the local taxi drivers union is also not helpful when it comes to finding good solutions. But, Livorno holds nearly all the cards because its location is among the best in Europe with access to so many wonderful places.

Our solution, if we do not want to use a taxi to the train station, is to simply arrange for a rental car through the local Hertz agency (Sifracar.com). They have arrangements with the port that allow them to deliver cars pier-side and allow renters to drive back into the port and drop the car very close to the pier. Although they charge a bit more for the service we find it a great option when one considers you do not need to pay a taxi and you also save a lot of time in the morning. But one warning about rental cars. Nearly all reasonably priced rentals in Italy have a manual (stick) transmission. So if you cannot drive a stick you might be out of luck.

Hank

Our solution, if we do not want to use a taxi to the train station, is to simply arrange for a rental car through the local Hertz agency (Sifracar.com). They have arrangements with the port that allow them to deliver cars pier-side and allow renters to drive back into the port and drop the car very close to the pier. Although they charge a bit more for the service ........

Run a few people in/out of the port and the hire is covered :)

As much discussion as this issues has caused.. For the record 5 Eu fee for shuttle bus at one Italian port, and then only if you did not take a Taxi or a Tour, Just Imagine how this thread would go if Princess decided to charge for room service and prohibit taking food to your cabin?

Oh yes, check the NCL board for that one! :eek: