Help - Should We Extend Our Trip On Land?

As recovering workaholics we are finally taking a long overdue vacation. We have a 12 night mediteranian cruise starting in Barcelona-Italy-Greece and back to Barcelona Spain. We were thinking of adding onto our trip either before or after since we will have already paid for the flight. Since this is our first cruise we are not sure if this makes sense. Any recommendations? Where in Europe should we go (or just stay in Spain), how long to stay, and whether to do it before or after the cruise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :0) We can stay up to two weeks longer but probably limited to one week to 10 days as we plan on visiting family in Majorca Spain for 4 days to 1 week. Here's a second alternative we were debating - should we take another cruise back to back?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The basic answer is YES! Stay as long as you can/wish/want. That is pretty much a no brainer.

I don't know anything about you or your interests, but is sounds like Spain has some key points for you, including your contacts at Mallorca. Our preference would be Italy or Greece, or perhaps the south of France. But that is just us.

I would do a land trip in Spain before the cruise and visit family in Mallorca after the cruise.

Good thought. You can piggy-back two land stays around your cruise - possibly even book an open jaw flight, so you can return home from another land stay - say Barcelona pre-cruise and Rome (for example) post-cruise.

When we were either embarking/debarking a ship in a city that interested us, we always did a pre and/or post cruise stay. It seemed so silly to be there and rush off to the airport. We always assumed we'd never have the chance to return. Of course, through many years of travel, we returned to many of our favorite cities and were so grateful for the opportunity. My DH passed away in the last year and I am so happy we did all that travel while we could. We both loved it so.

We particularly loved Spain and had about 4 or 5 visits all over the country. Fabulous!

Edited by sail7seas

Another vote for Rome either pre or post. We did a Med cruise two years in a row but ours was only a 7-day cruise. We extended the vacation with pre and post in Rome. HOW LUCKY you are to have this opportunity. Enjoy!!!

Definitely. We did a New Zealand/Australia cruise, and spent a few days in Auckland pre cruise, and a few days in Sydney post cruise.

It made sense as we are flying that far, to stay in both cities for a few days.

Edited by Talisker92

We are retired so we have more time.

But, we never take a cruise without tagging on a pre or post independent land trip. In some instances we plan a land trip and then watch for last minute cruise offers.

So, to answer you question I would definitely plan an add on. Cruising is nice but you are essentially in a US style hotel 'cacoon'. We very much enjoy staying at smaller local hotels and avoiding restaurants that cater to tourists.

We usually do either open jaw flights or one ways. Fly into Barcelona and out from Paris, Lisbon, London etc. Then we plan land travel taking in sights between the two cities. Doing this in Sept/Oct. Fly into Athens, fly home from Paris on an open jaw ticket. Inexpensive regional flight from Crete to Paris.

Edited by iancal

I would do a land trip in Spain before the cruise and visit family in Mallorca after the cruise.

Great idea! Spend several days in Barcelona. A beautiful city with lots of great sightseeing. After your cruise, go visit in Mallorca. Loved Mallorca.

My mom and I did a 12nt Med cruise round trip from Barcelona. We mainly stopped in Italy (overnighted in Venice) and a few other cities/countries. We got to Barcelona one day early, hit a couple of the main sights (Sagrada Familia, the market, La Ramblas) the embarked the next day. Once we got back off the ship in Barcelona, we flew to Rome and spent 4 more nights there (flights within Europe are cheap.... it's those that take us across the pond that are pricey).

We were utterly exhausted by the time we got home, but it was so worth it!!!

If you can take the time off and afford the extra days/nights, I say go for it! Most importantly though, have a blast whatever you decide.

Melissa

Thank you all so much - this is very helpful. We are even more excited now.... didn't think that was possible :0)

Hope you have a great time.

I sense this may be your first trip to Europe. If so, I'm excited for you! :)

When we did a 12-day Med cruise Barcelona to Venice, we added in three days in Barcelona pre-cruise and another week at the end so we could travel by train to see more of Italy. That is still our favorite cruise of all time.

Don't forget to consider jet lag- plan for a couple of days easy sightseeing in Barcelona before the cruise (the HOHO bus might be a good option).

There is no right or wrong answer. Land packages will take some planning and deciding. As recovering workaholics, will you still want to sit back and relax on another cruise, or be ready to head out on your own?