So here we go again!!! CCL

"All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of the exceptions referenced above are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided."

That is a pretty tough stance. Has Carnival always done that with alcohol?

"... confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided."

That is a pretty tough stance. Has Carnival always done that with alcohol?

I believe smuggling attempts resulted in confiscation. If you were openly trying to carry aboard in excess of what's permitted (with a corkage fee or whatever) I think they 'secured it' for the voyage duration.

We are not among those that smuggle alcohol onto the ships -- we either pre-order before we get on the ship or have the concierges order what we want for the cabin -- depends on how much shipboard credit we have.

We also do not bother to bring bottles of water onto the ship -- buy a small bottle for me for the refrigerator so that I can have my cooled water and I refill it everyday. Usually get two bottles as I drink a lot of water. That works for me. The ships water is better than what we get at home.

We drink bottled water away from home . Being nickel and dimed for it on board irritates me. If they can sell a pack of bottles for $2.99 why don't they make it complimentary? Even budget hotels leave a couple free bottles in the room.

I do like the water price. I usually carry a case of water onboard for excursions as I didn't want to pay $2.50 per bottle on the ship. Should HAL follow suit I will just pre-order a case. So much easier for me.

I agree. :)

So if cartons are ok, does that include wine in a box? I think we'll just stick with our one bottle each in the carry-on. The smugglers will still get away with it somehow.....unless they get caught and don't get the liquor returned. Hopefully it was something very expensive!

We drink bottled water away from home . Being nickel and dimed for it on board irritates me. If they can sell a pack of bottles for $2.99 why don't they make it complimentary? Even budget hotels leave a couple free bottles in the room.

Twelve bottles for $2.99 is fair, that's probably pretty much at "their cost" especially when you factor in their handling and storage, etc.

I guess I don't stay in budget hotels because every hotel I stay in charges for water. How can they give free water when they charge some people $399 for their cruise?

So if cartons are ok, does that include wine in a box? I think we'll just stick with our one bottle each in the carry-on. The smugglers will still get away with it somehow.....unless they get caught and don't get the liquor returned. Hopefully it was something very expensive!

no wine boxes are permitted on HAL from the rules I have seen. You are wise to stick to your bottle ;)

There is nothing free on a cruise ship. Pay for it in our fare or at the time of purchase for consumption.

The target markets between the two companies are so different that I would be surprised if HAL was to follow suit. That's not to say that smuggling doesn't happen on HAL, but has it caused as many problems as that on CCL?

CCL was built on catering to a fun, inexpensive, party type atmosphere and I would venture a guess that viewing the contents of passengers suitcases on each line would contain some pretty interesting differences!

The actions of a few spoil it for the rest of us. I do agree that the population on Carnival is different than that on HAL, so hopefully they won't follow suit. But if they do, I feel the price for pre ordered water is very fair, and I also like the idea of filling up a bottle and drinking ship's water. Personally, I like the small bottles and they're hard to get on a ship.

I have never seen free water in a hotel room. Maybe I am not going budget enough?!

Good morning all!

Thanks for all of the replys to my question.

My thought:

So with security in regards to hacking into our government,insurance,the stores, and even our starbucks with IPhone payments, I would not be surprised to see some people already thinking of ways to sneak liquor on board!

I do appreciate not having to bring water on board, and having it in our stateroom.

Thank you all again!

Have a good day to all of my CC friends!

Denise:)

Can't blame Carnival for this one. They still allow cans and juice cartons, just not plastic bottles. Bottled water can be pre-ordered for I believe I heard $2.95 for 12- that is fair.

That's a great price for a 12-pack delivered to the cabin! Close to the same amount for a single soft drink at one of the bars :)

The price is one of the big reasons folks smuggle alcohol aboard CCL. I was checking last week and ....... On HAL a bottle of Crown Royal was $48 .... the same bottle on CCL is $98. That's quite a difference when they go for $25 to$28ish in stores.

That's a great price for a 12-pack delivered to the cabin! Close to the same amount for a single soft drink at one of the bars :)

The price is one of the big reasons folks smuggle alcohol aboard CCL. I was checking last week and ....... On HAL a bottle of Crown Royal was $48 .... the same bottle on CCL is $98. That's quite a difference when they go for $25 to$28ish in stores.

I can remember when a bottle of Jack Daniels or Jim Beam was very cheap on Carnival...maybe 10-15 dollars more than in the ABC stores...just checked for our Splendor cruise and Jack Daniels is $80.00...I remember the days when we just went to the store on the ship after dinner and bought a bottle and brought it back to the cabin:D

Edited by jbhcw

free bottled water in Marriotts Fairfield Inn, SPGs Four Point Sheraton. I consider these nice budget properties, parts of a bigger chain. A couple bottles a day are complimentary in the room. We've also received free water in higher end hotels, Marriotts, SPGs, Sofitels, Aloft, W, etc.

If HAL continues to market itself as a higher end mainstream line they could throw in a couple of twenty four cent bottles of water per day.