Bringing Wine on Board

eyelovcrusin

We will be one of the unlucky ones who don't have a drink package. I haven't brought wine onboard before but plan on doing so this time as drink prices are so high. I know the website states 2 bottles/cabin but wondering how they know if you carry 2 during boarding and pack another 2 in checked luggage? Also, I understand cabin steward will provide wine glasses and corkscrew? I gather you can bring a glass with you to the MDR or specialty restaurants, anybody have any experience with this ?

Any comments / experiences would be appreciated.

We will be one of the unlucky ones who don't have a drink package. I haven't brought wine onboard before but plan on doing so this time as drink prices are so high. I know the website states 2 bottles/cabin but wondering how they know if you carry 2 during boarding and pack another 2 in checked luggage? Also, I understand cabin steward will provide wine glasses and corkscrew? I gather you can bring a glass with you to the MDR or specialty restaurants, anybody have any experience with this ?

Any comments / experiences would be appreciated.

Downunder Celebrity use local security companies to vet passengers on embarkation day. I assume that a similar practice is used in the Northern Hemisphere. Providing you have no more than 2 bottles of wine in carry on baggage the local security guys are fine in fact on the past couple of occasions it could have been spirits and we would have been fine. If there are a further 2 bottles in the checked baggage who is know about the carry on. There is no check done. If a couple travelling together went to different security lines on boarding one could probably have two bottles in each bag.

It is the onboard security guys who are paranoid about the booze not the shore based guys

they would not know if you packed two and carried on two. They do not match up who walks through security line with wine and check which luggage has wine. It is their policy, and a lot of it is on the honor system. Anyone can find work arounds, if they try hard enough. I don't feel it is worth the bother. I am on vacation to enjoy myself, not to see what I can get away with

They probably don't know.

The stateroom attendant can get glassware etc

You can take a glass with you when you head to lunch or dinner

There was a couple on from our RC last year that packed 1 bottle in each piece of checked luggage, and put one in each carry on. Didn't understand why, cause they both had upgraded to the Premium pkg.

The agents watching the scanners can tell the difference between the image of a wine bottle vs a liquor bottle.

We carried on a special bottle last yr for our anniversary. The steward got us glasses and an opener, and we carried them with us to dinner, and around the ship that evening.

• 1 month later...

Our friends that came with us on our last cruise brought three bottles on board. It wasn't really planned - we had bought wine both for the ship and to drink in our hotel the night before. We didn't finish it, so I said why not try to bring it on? They'll probably take it away but just see what happens.

We were among the first through security and of course right away they pull him aside for having three bottles. My pal was fine leaving it since he didn't expect to get it onboard anyway (plus it was cheap). The workers insisted on giving him a claim check, but they couldn't find any. My pal told them no worries, keep the bottle yourselves - he just wanted to keep going. There was no way the officers were going to keep that wine for themselves, and they still couldn't find the claim checks. As security was backing up, the head person just waived them through and said they could take it.

Is there not a corkage fee for carry on wine? $15 a bottle or something? Not sure how they collect though.

From Celebrity's site: If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

You can carry a glass of your own wine around but if you bring your bottle into one of the above mentioned areas then you will be charged the corkage fee.

From Celebrity's site: If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

You can carry a glass of your own wine around but if you bring your bottle into one of the above mentioned areas then you will be charged the corkage fee.

Ahhhhhsoooooo.

Knew there was some kind of corkage fee.

Ahhhhhsoooooo.

Knew there was some kind of corkage fee.

Other cruise lines allow more bottles to come aboard but the excess over the two incur a corkage fee per bottle.

Edited by MicCanberra

Theoretically could you bring on two bottles at embarkation, then bring on more when reboarding at various port stops?

We have a drinks package and plan on busy days when in port so won't be shopping round for wine whilst on shore but I'm just interested in how far that 2 bottles rule applies.

Theoretically could you bring on two bottles at embarkation, then bring on more when reboarding at various port stops?

We have a drinks package and plan on busy days when in port so won't be shopping round for wine whilst on shore but I'm just interested in how far that 2 bottles rule applies.

It is for embarkation port only, after that they would confiscate the wine until the end of the cruise.

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

they would not know if you packed two and carried on two. They do not match up who walks through security line with wine and check which luggage has wine. It is their policy, and a lot of it is on the honor system. Anyone can find work arounds, if they try hard enough. I don't feel it is worth the bother. I am on vacation to enjoy myself, not to see what I can get away with

True, and having done this in the past, also consider the two in the checked bags may require that you go to the "naughty room"* to retrive them. They may ask you to remove them from suitcase (as you dig them out from clothes), and will check the wine bottle seals that liquor has not been substituted (also done at times with your check-in bottles) This means your luggage is not delivered to your room, you may not see it until after muster, you may be late for sailaway and even dinner.

* the naughty room is in the bowels of the ship, interesting to see once, but the view of sailaway, not so much.:D

Edited by Janet987

Not considered good taste to enter MDR with your personal glass of wine. I have seen them standing at entry with tray to take them.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER would this happen!! They are NOT wine police, and there is no way to tell if you just purchased that glass from a bar. Yes... the actual glass may look different, but I have NEVER seen anyone even remotely checking glasses!:eek:

What ship and where were you????:eek::eek::eek:

I have seen them with the trays, but they are there to take any empty glasses that passengers might want to relinquish.

You are correct. They indicated that you can bring in glasses of beverages into dining venues. You cannot leave with a drink from a ship sponsored cocktail hour.

2 years ago I had inadvertently had a small airline liquor bottle in a 2 bottle wine bag which I had forgot about when boarding. The security found it and confiscated it. It was brought to my cabin on the last day completely wrapped with masking tape. Boy are they strict. Last year I was called to the "naughty room" Opened bag and they found a bottle of my favorite olives. Funny later but annoying at the time. Moral of story "don't bring olives aboard"

Not considered good taste to enter MDR with your personal glass of wine. I have seen them standing at entry with tray to take them.

Hello,

We have on several occasions found staff standing at the door to the MDR with a tray as well...However, they took our drinks, carried them to our table for us, waited until we were seated, and placed the drinks in front of us...Great service indeed !

BBL

Hello,

We have on several occasions found staff standing at the door to the MDR with a tray as well...However, they took our drinks, carried them to our table for us, waited until we were seated, and placed the drinks in front of us...Great service indeed !

BBL

I have seen this also, as select we have sometimes been asked to wait in the nearest bar for 5 or ten minutes. We would get a drink and then when called if the drinks were not finished yet, they would take them to the table for us.:D

When we boarded our transatlantic we had one bottle of mouthwash in carry-on and one bottle in checked baggage. The screeners saw them both. Security at boarding asked what it was and didn't ask me to open the bag. Later, security called me and asked that I go to a luggage holding area. The person said they had a question about our bag but would not tell me over the phone. So, I identified the bag (dunno why I needed to do this as there were 3 tags attached to it) and he asked if there were any liquids inside. I told him it was mouthwash and he did not ask me to open the bag. Vino/mouthwash/liquor/water, it doesn't matter. They can see it. Whether they take action is another issue.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser