Its not over until...

BalconySuite

I am pretty new to cruising but there is one thing I want to avoid.

I don't want to end my cruise by taking my luggage to breakfast and leaning against the wall for hours. It was a totally awful way to end what was a pleasant experience.

Before buying is there a way to sort which cruises don't try to bully you out of your room before allowing you off the ship?

I'm just not doing that again, ever.

Most cruise lines I have travelled with have had the same disembarkation arrangements. You put your main suitcase/s outside your cabin after last evening meal prior to disembarking. Put as much stuff in this as you can (bearing in mind you got to wear clothes and freshen up in the morning) This is collected by staff overnight and eventually appears quayside the next morning in a group of cases appropriate to your deck or disembarkation colour group. The remainder of your luggage should be put into a small carry case, similar to what you have on an aircraft and put in the overhead.

My breakfast plan is get up early and head for waiter service restaurant and have breakfast. Then return to cabin to collect hand luggage. Once collected head for a comfy seat in a lounge area. Some lines have a listed schedule with silent disembarkation others announce on the tannoy. So if it is a silent system being used change to the allotted waiting area 15 - 20 minutes before listed time and take a new seat there.

Eventually your time comes up and you walk off.

Self disembarkation is also possible but means no overnight suitcase collection and you take ALL your luggage away with you. This is normally to get off ship with first batch of cruisers so your luggage can remain in cabin until 8am usually. Should be packed and in one case/pile. Under this scenario you just return to cabin collect case and then go to comfy seats for disembarkation as soon as this is announced as starting.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

They all seem to have similar disembarkation process and the all seem to want you out of your cabin at a similar time, remember the staff have a very narrow window of time to get ready for the next load.

Normally i just put my luggage out, keep a small bag for overnight junk, have a quiet breakfast, preferably in MDR and wander off at allotted time.

If I have a rush after disembark I may do walk off, but that is a rarity for us.

You have traveled on some nice ships. Perhaps these ships have enough space to accommodate the passengers in some reasonable semblance of comfort.

That was not the case on my cruise. The lounge, hallways, and even stairways resembled one of Dante's levels of hell. People everywhere, kids screaming, the few public bathrooms overwhelmed and disgusting. Lastly, it wasn't safe. If an emergency occurred the passageways were choked with luggage that would become instant obstructions.

I don't get it. How can such a condition be normal and acceptable?

It's a trade-off. Either you get out of your cabin early and possibly have to take your carry-on to breakfast with you, or you spend the first afternoon after boarding wandering around the ship waiting for your cabin to be ready.

Personally I'd rather have my cabin ready, or close to ready, when I embark. That way I can enjoy my first evening on the ship.

You have traveled on some nice ships. Perhaps these ships have enough space to accommodate the passengers in some reasonable semblance of comfort.

That was not the case on my cruise. The lounge, hallways, and even stairways resembled one of Dante's levels of hell. People everywhere, kids screaming, the few public bathrooms overwhelmed and disgusting. Lastly, it wasn't safe. If an emergency occurred the passageways were choked with luggage that would become instant obstructions.

What ship were you on?

I don't want to end my cruise by taking my luggage to breakfast and leaning against the wall for hours. It was a totally awful way to end what was a pleasant experience.

Before buying is there a way to sort which cruises don't try to bully you out of your room before allowing you off the ship?

they all operate about the same. you must be out of your room by 830/9 and off before 10.

they need to start cleaning the cabins ASAP in order to have the ship ready for the next group who will be boarding.

Wow

What ship was that.

Yes it can be a bit of a zoo, but not as bad as that.

Most of the luggage is taken and only a carry on each, so often less obstruction than embarkation day.

If luggage was ever an obstruction it would be the night before when it is out for collection.

But even then it rarely stays there long before they collect it in my experience.

I wonder if there was some unexpected delay with the disembarkation.

I believe most cruise lines try to organize the disembarkation so that it is staggered but if there was some issue that may explain why people were hanging around for a long time.

I'd be interested know not only what ship, but what port and what cruise date.

It was the Nordic Empress, a Royal Caribbean ship that sailed out of Port Canaveral quite some time ago. I haven't sailed since, mainly because of how it ended.

Because I don't want to be "the crazy lady who won't leave her cabin" I have automatically shuffled cruises to the bottom of vacation options. The "captive in the hallway" is one of those quirky things people don't freely admit is happening. When I later asked a travel agent for recommendations, she said "well, its a ship, there are only so many people to do the work." I replied "when you are in port that's the only time you have the option of bringing in extra people!" And that was the end of that.

That's why posted on this board. I'm interested in finding cruise options where this is not an issue. But the official sources don't really want to talk about it all, except to say it is "standard procedure."

Cruise lines have got their disembarkation systems fined tuned these days. They may vary a bit but spreading people around in the show lounges, theatre, night clubs and generally all about the ship is no more crammed than on any entertainment night mid-cruise. The key is to eliminate your luggage as much as possible and let crew take bulk to quayside. Find a quiet place with comfy chairs, perhaps an obscure place such as library or internet room. Stay there in comfort until you disembark or need to move to allotted wait area for calling. Some lines have free tea coffee areas in the waiting areas.

Looking at longer cruises is generally better as you only get disrupted 1 in 12/14 days instead of 1 in 7 and fewer children on longer cruises. The other thing to do is look at getting on/off ship with taxi/porters, self-drive or friends picking you up to help with reducing stress.

I think things have moved on since 2000-2004 when I think you cruised.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

So far I haven't had an issue with this. Three times I've been out of the cabin and off the ship before I had to be out of the cabin (8:30). The other time I was dining on Lido when my deck was called.

The key here seems to be self-disembarking, which may not have been available on RCCL all those years ago. As mentioned elsewhere, when you self-disembark, you don't leave anything outside your door on the last night, and you have to take everything from the cabin to the exit. The big pro (at least on Carnival, though I imagine other cruise lines are similar) is that you're one of the first groups off the ship. Which means, among other things, you don't have to find a place to sit while you're waiting.

Carnival has some places to sit and/or hang out while you wait for your deck to be called. The one time we were late into port, they opened up more places. Again, I'm sure other cruise lines do something similar.

I hope this has been of help to you as you make your vacation plans.

We now always 'walk off' with two small suitcases and my carry off. We drive and want to head home as soon as possible. The suitcases are small enough to fit through the scanner when we carry then on. ( We have done a 14 day cruise and B2Bs with just them.) We put our 'do not disturb' sign on the door the night before. We get up and head for breakfast leaving our suitcases in our cabin and the sign on the door. After breakfast we go back, get our suitcases, take sign off door, and head to the 'walk off' wait area which is never crowded. No one is going to your cabin to demand you leave it at 8AM! We are usually the 1st off the ship. On some Carnival ships everyone must go to the theater but we have seen a dining room as a place to wait also.

Edited by Bonnie J.

It was the Nordic Empress, a Royal Caribbean ship that sailed out of Port Canaveral quite some time ago. I haven't sailed since, mainly because of how it ended.

Because I don't want to be "the crazy lady who won't leave her cabin" I have automatically shuffled cruises to the bottom of vacation options. The "captive in the hallway" is one of those quirky things people don't freely admit is happening. When I later asked a travel agent for recommendations, she said "well, its a ship, there are only so many people to do the work." I replied "when you are in port that's the only time you have the option of bringing in extra people!" And that was the end of that.

That's why posted on this board. I'm interested in finding cruise options where this is not an issue. But the official sources don't really want to talk about it all, except to say it is "standard procedure."

We did self-assist once with our luggage and never again- trying to navigate those passageways with all of that luggage is not pleasant (there are other terms but this is a family friendly board;)). Now we put the luggage out the night before with the latest tag for disembarkation on it and leave one small carryon for our essentials. Then we leave the cabin by the recommended time (usually between 8 and 9) and find a place to hang out until our color/number is called. We have been able to find a table in the buffet to eat breakfast while we wait. But it is a lot of humanity to move off the ship in a short time to make way for the mass of humanity that is waiting in the terminal while cleaning everything for the new passengers.

OP

One way to partially avoid the craziness at the end of a cruise is to book a high end suite. There are usually special, more spacious, waiting areas for those who are booked into suites. Also, most lines will disembark those passengers first.

Norwegian :)

Wow !

Nordic Prince is ancient history , come back to the present please.

There are rules now about not blocking hallways and debarkation lounges .

Put those bags out the night before or leave them in cabin , have an early breakfast , then retrieve them and do self debark.

OP has avoided cruising because of one experience [emoji53]

Wow !

Put those bags out the night before or leave them in cabin , have an early breakfast , then retrieve them and do self debark.

Hey I almost said never again after my first disembarkation disaster on the Monarch years ago. It's a heck of a lot better now but back in the early 2000's on that ship it was an awful experience. When I read the OP's description I could relate. To that point I'd always vacationed on land. My DW had cruised a few times so she was used to it but for me it was shocking how disorganized the process seemed to be. After being basically bribed to try another cruise I figured out that disembarkation was just another of those weird and wonderful cruising traditions you need to grin and bear just like the Muster Drill.;)

If it was as crazy now as you say it was then you would be reading thread after thread on it. Since you aren't, its not an issue!

Wow !

Given the cost of cruising I can see where one truly bad experience could make someone look elsewhere for vacation options. We all have different tolerance levels regarding what is "truly bad".

We all have different tolerance levels regarding what is "truly bad".

You are absolutely correct. Everyone has a different perception of what is intolerable.

No-one likes departure day, for the most part. It is time to leave vacation. It is time to face getting back to reality. You have to get up early and most of your stuff has already left your cabin. Meanwhile everyone else on the ship is grouchy too, as their vacation is ending.

People tend to stay up too late the last night, trying to get every last bit of enjoyment out of their vacation. Then disembarkation morning seems to come too early. Everyone is staggering around like zombies. The kids are cranky. The adults are hung over. Everyone just wants to go back to bed and have one more day of vacation.

If I based my vacation options on what happens on the last day of vacation, and all of the unhappiness that comes with that, I would probably eliminate a lot of options. Don't dread the end of the vacation before you have even planned it.

We've only done two cruises so far.

One was on Princess where we had to be out of our cabins by 8am. We were able to select our preferred disembarkation time so picked 9am. We left all but our carry-ons out the night before, left our cabin before 8am and took our carry-ons with us to breakfast in the MDR, then went straight to to the required place, Princess Theatre in this case, to wait for our group to be called. All very smooth and easy.

The second was on Royal Caribbean. There was no mention of what time we had to vacate our cabin, however we weren't offered the chance to select a disembarkation time. After advising what type of disembarkation we wanted we were allocated a 7:30am slot. Wasn't too happy about that, it was a bit early. Again we left most of our luggage out the night before. We left our carry-ons in our cabin while we had breakfast, then picked them up. Our timeslot was already disembarking so we just headed off the ship. Again, all very smooth and easy.

Hope this helps with your concerns. :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ