Will there ever be a Captain's Circle level beyond Elite?

smellycruzer

Why not.speculation is fun. Why all the animosity about this discussion. Is it boring, not fun? New ideas are interesting. At some point they may do a survey and ask what people would like. Them they might factor it in their future plans.

If a thread is discussing something I don't care about, I don't read it. Seems like a simple solution. Just saying.

We have 19 Princess cruises & 234 days each and remain satisfied with the Elite program. Got a nice line-up of little bottles on the TV cabinet.

I have a feeling that if Princess had a Super-Elite category some people would be asking for an Extra-Stupendous Super-Elite.

Steve & Pete

I agree totally with this.

I actually enjoy this thread as my DW just asked today "What is the next level after Elite?" and I had to check the Princess website to see that there was not one. We just went from four to five star Mariners on HAL (500 days) and we met some friends on the World Cruise on HAL who are "President Club Members " which I think is 1200 actual sea days. Too bad there is nothing to aspire to on Princess like half price on wine packages or free dinners in specialty restaurants. Not that I would book a cruise just for that, but it might keep me from looking at a competing cruise line for a similar cruise.

To this day I am still surprised Princess hasn't created a new level beyond Elite, for cruisers 250+ cruise days or beyond 25th cruise. Those of us who have cruised at length with them I'm sure would appreciate it.

And for fun, what would you want as the group name or benefit? I would vote for "Ambassador" and a private dinner with the captain or other significant crew member.

I would expect one benefit to be free laundry and cleaning. (and have the elite benefit eliminated or cut back)

I would expect another benefit to be 10% discount in the boutiques. (and have the elite benefit eliminated or cut to 5%)

Too bad there is nothing to aspire to on Princess like half price on wine packages or free dinners in specialty restaurants. Not that I would book a cruise just for that, but it might keep me from looking at a competing cruise line for a similar cruise.
With the extra "Loyalty" credit, you could buy wine or pay for dinners. To me, it's essentially the same. I'd rather get $100 of extra OBC than wine, which I rarely drink.

21 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit

32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit

42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit

52+ cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

As for a "super" level at 250 days? Not going to happen. I have just under 400 days and haven't been invited to a Most Traveled lunch in years... the cut-off has been 400-500 days.

Of course they may well do as Celebrity did and add TWO (or more) new levels rather than a single new level. The purpose of the higher levels is to give people something to keep working towards. Therefore one new level at roughly double the current Elite level is attainable by many and yet another new level significantly higher still gives many of those who have been Elte for a long time something even higher to aim for.

A rewards program should start out with new levels not too difficult to obtain but each subsequent level being a bigger accomplishment than the previous. Ever since Princess added Ruby level it has seemed to me that they should have made cruise 6 and 7 a part of Ruby as well by removing them from Platinum but likely grandfathering anyone who was already there. This would have done two things. It would have cut into that huge stretch of 10 cruises to get through Platinum level by reducing it to 8 cruises and it would have created a very "predictable" pattern to the levels.

1 - 1st Cruise

Next 2 at Gold Level through 3rd cruise

Next 4 at Ruby Level through 7th cruise

Next 8 at Platinum Level through 15th cruise

Elite Level

This pattern would work very nicely to extend the levels even further:

Next 16 at Elite Level through 31st cruise

Next 32 at Elite-Plus Level through 63rd cruise

Elite-Plus-Plus Level

This works very nicely by doubling the number if cruises to attain the next level from each current level and leaves it open for future expansion if needed. Of course this pattern could still be followed even if they didn't make any changes around current Ruby & Platinum levels.

I believe that they should ultimately convert to days rather than cruises which is entirely do-able without too much upset if they award points by day as Celebrity now does and they would likely award a flat number of points for each past cruise rather than going back in time to calculate the actual number of days. This would keep it simple while not stripping away current points for past short cruises but going forward short cruises would not earn as much and long cruises would earn more.

I wouldn't mind seeing a dollar limit put on the current Elite Laundry to help control any abuse and then new higher levels could have higher laundry allowances or maybe unlimited. Lots of ideas have been kicked around of little perks that could be given to new higher levels without breaking the bank. The rewards aren't intended to be huge, half of it is the "status level". The perks are already great in my opinion but higher levels should still happen.

The only problem that I had with the changes Celebrity made in going from cruises to days (and cabin type) was the way the introduced the change. Instead of giving some advance notice of the coming changes they decided to spring it on us while we were on a 27 day cruise and we got off the ship at the end with exactly half the points that we had expected to earn. It is there program so they can do what they want to do but annoying people like that isn't likely the goal of a loyalty program! A minimum of three months notice of the upcoming changes would have gone a long way to make it a fair transition.

Terry

A rewards program should start out with new levels not too difficult to obtain but each subsequent level being a bigger accomplishment than the previous. Ever since Princess added Ruby level it has seemed to me that they should have made cruise 6 and 7 a part of Ruby as well by removing them from Platinum but likely grandfathering anyone who was already there. This would have done two things. It would have cut into that huge stretch of 10 cruises to get through Platinum level by reducing it to 8 cruises and it would have created a very "predictable" pattern to the levels.

1 - 1st Cruise

Next 2 at Gold Level through 3rd cruise

Next 4 at Ruby Level through 7th cruise

Next 8 at Platinum Level through 15th cruise

Elite Level

This pattern would work very nicely to extend the levels even further:

Next 16 at Elite Level through 31st cruise

Next 32 at Elite-Plus Level through 63rd cruise

Elite-Plus-Plus Level

So, you'd change the way passengers earn their loyalty level and make it just cruises (or days) instead of the current credits? Solo cruisers, who usually pay double, get screwed again. :(

With the extra "Loyalty" credit, you could buy wine or pay for dinners. To me, it's essentially the same. I'd rather get $100 of extra OBC than wine, which I rarely drink.

21 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit

32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit

42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit

52+ cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

As for a "super" level at 250 days? Not going to happen. I have just under 400 days and haven't been invited to a Most Traveled lunch in years... the cut-off has been 400-500 days.

The problem I see is that the benefits seem to be skewed towards those who take a lot of short cruises. While we have 190 days on Princess, that is only 8 cruises. At that rate, we will never get any cruise credits. I do drink wine, but if I book a 7 day cruise I can bring one bottle aboard; for our upcoming 71 day cruise I can also bring one bottle. If I took seven 7-day cruises they would stock my refrigerator 7 times as an Elite cruiser. It will happen once on the 71 day cruise. However, we willenjoy our cruise.

T I do drink wine, but if I book a 7 day cruise I can bring one bottle aboard; for our upcoming 71 day cruise I can also bring one bottle. If I took seven 7-day cruises they would stock my refrigerator 7 times as an Elite cruiser. It will happen once on the 71 day cruise.

Unless your 71 day cruise is a single segment, you can bring on more wine at the start of the cruise, one bottle per person for each segment.

Also, if your 71 day cruise is made up of several segments, you will get a new Elite setup at the start of each segment.

I believe that they should ultimately convert to days rather than cruises which is entirely do-able without too much upset if they award points by day as Celebrity now does and they would likely award a flat number of points for each past cruise rather than going back in time to calculate the actual number of days. This would keep it simple while not stripping away current points for past short cruises but going forward short cruises would not earn as much and long cruises would earn more.

No problem knowing the number of days. The total is known for every passenger already. You can see your total in the Captain's Circle part of the web site.

The problem with a switch is equity for those single travelers who pay for two passengers when there is only one. Also a way to recognize the full suite passengers.

Possibly they could do as RCCL does, using points. (1 day=1 point with suite passengers getting double points).

Most Traveled Passenger could still be based on days, not points.

Edited by caribill

So, you'd change the way passengers earn their loyalty level and make it just cruises (or days) instead of the current credits? Solo cruisers, who usually pay double, get screwed again. :(

It also screws people who take longer cruises. We have 32 cruises and 525 days.

I would expect one benefit to be free laundry and cleaning. (and have the elite benefit eliminated or cut back)

I would expect another benefit to be 10% discount in the boutiques. (and have the elite benefit eliminated or cut to 5%)

I agree. If a Super Elite category does open up, the benefits will be the Elite benefits and the old Elite benefits will be cut. Even if we were in that higher level (and with over 700 days I'm not sure we would be), it's a net loss to passengers in total and I'm not hoping it happens. I'm also not holding my breath.

I don't recall addressing the rewards specifically for solo cruisers in what I said. No matter what the program is based on they can choose to give double rewards for solo cruisers if they think it is justified. It doesn't dirrectly affect me so I made no reference to it.

Terry

No matter how this discussion starts, it always come back around to bashing the short cruise cruisers and calling them "cheaters." No one is cheating anybody. The program is designed by Princess, and the way it works, short cruisers get credit for a short cruise. I have several short cruises on my record, but I also have a greater number of longer ones, more than two weeks at a time. Half of me is a "cheater," I guess. I guess a solo cruiser on a short cruise is a double cheater. :rolleyes: So what? The way a person attains Elite status is not a theological issue. The people who did it the "hard way" are not morally superior. Elites are Elites because Princess says they are. Making a level higher that Elite would be a marketing decision by Princess. One's moral superiority will not inflate (or deflate) if a new level is created. It's just Princess marketing, that's all.

No matter how this discussion starts, it always come back around to bashing the short cruise cruisers and calling them "cheaters." No one is cheating anybody. The program is designed by Princess, and the way it works, short cruisers get credit for a short cruise. I have several short cruises on my record, but I also have a greater number of longer ones, more than two weeks at a time. Half of me is a "cheater," I guess. I guess a solo cruiser on a short cruise is a double cheater. :rolleyes: So what? The way a person attains Elite status is not a theological issue. The people who did it the "hard way" are not morally superior. Elites are Elites because Princess says they are. Making a level higher that Elite would be a marketing decision by Princess. One's moral superiority will not inflate (or deflate) if a new level is created. It's just Princess marketing, that's all.

I agree. Even if I lived near an embarkation or disembarkation city, I probably wouldn't have taken short cruises simply to achieve Elite more quickly (there's no way that makes financial sense) but I would if I simply enjoyed being on a ship. Princess makes the rules and it makes no difference whether I agree with them or not. Taking advantage of them isn't cheating; it's being a smart traveler.

Cheating is sneaking onboard alcohol or wine, or sharing a soda sticker or hogging a lounger or not abiding by dress codes or taking in laundry to send out if you're Elite. Taking short cruises is not.

Unless your 71 day cruise is a single segment, you can bring on more wine at the start of the cruise, one bottle per person for each segment.

Also, if your 71 day cruise is made up of several segments, you will get a new Elite setup at the start of each segment.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. The second segment is at Capetown. I am hoping that I could bring the second bottle there. If not, the corkage fee is reasonable on Princess.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. The second segment is at Capetown. I am hoping that I could bring the second bottle there. If not, the corkage fee is reasonable on Princess.

Yes, you will be able to take on a bottle of wine in Cape Town. There is a liquor store in the V&A Mall. It is easy walk fro the ship

I agree. If a Super Elite category does open up, the benefits will be the Elite benefits and the old Elite benefits will be cut. Even if we were in that higher level (and with over 700 days I'm not sure we would be), it's a net loss to passengers in total and I'm not hoping it happens. I'm also not holding my breath.

How do you know or how can you say, 'the old Elite benefits will be cut?' I don't believe anyone on this forum knows what Princess would or would not do. Some of the other cruise lines did add another upper level and nothing was cut back. They added small extras such as a coffee card, more Internet minutes, etc.

How do you know or how can you say, 'the old Elite benefits will be cut?' I don't believe anyone on this forum knows what Princess would or would not do. Some of the other cruise lines did add another upper level and nothing was cut back. They added small extras such as a coffee card, more Internet minutes, etc.

So sorry. I thought this entire thread was comprised of supposition and opinion, which was exactly what I was adding to the conversation.

So sorry. I thought this entire thread was comprised of supposition and opinion, which was exactly what I was adding to the conversation.

K, NP. My concern is that if Princess reads these, they can always say that we as guests didn't really want anything and we expected that if they made changes, we would accept cut backs. HECK NO, NO CUTBACKS. We must stand united!

K, NP. My concern is that if Princess reads these, they can always say that we as guests didn't really want anything and we expected that if they made changes, we would accept cut backs. HECK NO, NO CUTBACKS. We must stand united!

Honestly, I don't think business decisions are made that way.

JMHO, of course.

Honestly, I don't think business decisions are made that way.

JMHO, of course.

I not certain they are, however, never give them the option. In fact, on Celebrity CC, Celebrity cut some ports and many people are very disappointed. Celebrity said that they got that feedback from passengers to cut those ports. Yet, many were never asked about it and question where Celebrity got their input from. JMHO!