Door vs wall decorating

kdinkus1

It's funny how things are different between cruise lines. These are our doors one day on our last DCL cruise. We actually changed the characters on a daily basis, but all the other stuff stayed up and we ended up even adding more as the week went on. We may have to curb our enthusiasm on the Vista next year.

[ATTACH]352483[/ATTACH][ATTACH]352485[/ATTACH]

What a brilliant idea to change the door everyday (changing the characters)!! That would be great fun to do... now if I can come up with a way to do that on our next cruise.

Haven't done a Disney yet... but would love to do the 'parks & cruise' package!

I wondered if anyone would respond that had cruised recently with graduates because I figured that there would be lots of decorations on the cabin doors announcing it. Was there a contest on this cruise?

I'm glad you had a great time decorating your first cabin door! It is pretty special isn't it? Especially when you walk to your room and see people stopping and staring and smiling as they walk by your door! :D

There was not a contest on our cruise but a lot of people did decorate, some just a little and some more extravagant but I don't remember seeing "wall" decorations...just doors.

Our decorations brought a smile to my face every time I came back to our cabin and I enjoyed seeing what other people did to decorate!

On our most recent cruise (Princess) someone had balloons and streamers all around their door and you had to brush them aside to get through - was very annoying. I don't decorate my door, but don't mind door decorations as long as they are not sticking out into the hallway. It is kind of fun to see what people do. I stick a hibiscus flower hair clip on the mailbox which makes it easier to find my cabin and makes it look a bit more festive and leave it at that.

'Out of bounds' in what way? Not do it at all?

Decorating the walls is definitely out of bounds. These companies spend good money trying to create an attractive decor. Someone putting up dollar store decorations on the walls looks ridiculous, IMO. I don't get the door decorating thing in the first place but if it floats your boat, whatever.

Just keep it off the walls.

On our most recent cruise (Princess) someone had balloons and streamers all around their door and you had to brush them aside to get through - was very annoying. I don't decorate my door, but don't mind door decorations as long as they are not sticking out into the hallway. It is kind of fun to see what people do. I stick a hibiscus flower hair clip on the mailbox which makes it easier to find my cabin and makes it look a bit more festive and leave it at that.

That's definitely 'OVER-THE-TOP'! It's a shame when people have no consideration for others, especially in things like this... Door decorations already (as even seen in this thread) have people divided. I'm surprised no one came by and popped the balloons. BTW: I love your idea about putting the hair clip on the mailbox! :D

Decorating the walls is definitely out of bounds. These companies spend good money trying to create an attractive decor. Someone putting up dollar store decorations on the walls looks ridiculous, IMO. I don't get the door decorating thing in the first place but if it floats your boat, whatever.

Just keep it off the walls.

If you say that to a 'die-hard' wall decorator near you on a cruise, you will find that come the next morning, your surrounding wall will be decorated as well. :D:D:D

I understand that many people feel that wall decorating shouldn't be done but Carnival does indeed allow it. I am not sure about the other lines but have NOT read/heard that it's discouraged. (there are sites for all cruise lines about door/wall decorating) As I have said before, we must be respectful and understand that this is a 'privilege' and not a right...

Also, even though I don't have a problem with 'dollar store' decorations, I usually design and make most of my own. I may go to the party store to find some things that I can add to it but mostly I try and stay with things that I can design, cut, and hang, on my own.

JMO

But I think decorating doors and walls in the cabin is tacky!!

The cabins on the ships that we have been (quite a few) have beautiful pictures on the walls.

Walking up and down the hallways and seeing doors decorated with celebration balloons is fine with me -- but just to decorate a door with junk -- I hate it.

The wall decorating is too much. I've seen pictures on door decorating sites where people took up half the distance of wall to their neighbors room (the long wall) and I considered that so rude. Your door is fine, the wall is part of the ships decor.

I decorated our door very simply for our last cruise because it was our honeymoon. The next cruise is for DH's 30th birthday and after mildly picking on me for the honeymoon decorations, he asked if I was planning to decorate our door again. I told him I hasn't really thought about it, and he asked me if I could because he ended up liking how easy it was to identify our door. He requested a "treat yo'self" theme from Parks and Recreation for his birthday, so that'll be an interesting one to plan out and hang up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you say that to a 'die-hard' wall decorator near you on a cruise, you find that come the next morning, your surrounding wall will be decorated as well. :D:D:D

I understand that many people feel that wall decorating shouldn't be done but Carnival does indeed allow it. I am not sure about the other lines but have NOT read/heard that it's discouraged. (there are sites for all cruise lines about door/wall decorating) As I have said before, we must be respectful and understand that this is a 'privilege' and not a right...

Also, even though I don't have a problem with 'dollar store' decorations, I usually design and make most of my own. I may go to the party store to find some things that I can add to it but mostly I try and stay with things that I can design, cut, and hang, on my own.

If someone decorated the wall near my cabin I would find that to be incredibly rude and I would remove it :rolleyes:

I find these decorations to be incredibly tacky but it's your door. Not your wall, though.

JMO

But I think decorating doors and walls in the cabin is tacky!!

The cabins on the ships that we have been (quite a few) have beautiful pictures on the walls.

Walking up and down the hallways and seeing doors decorated with celebration balloons is fine with me -- but just to decorate a door with junk -- I hate it.

I agree 100% Completely . Takes away from the professional ship décor.

I just finished a 20-day stay in a beach resort hotel. I never thought of decorating the door;)

I do find the whole decorating thing a bit, well, tacky. The cruise line has put a lot of money into the design of the interiors. The, people go and put up all this stuff on their doors (and walls:eek:). Just too much for me. Now, if you put a little something on the mailbox or just a small thing on the door to "mark" it as your door, that's OK. But, to do a whole door full of decoration - no thank you.

Has door decorating become more popular on cruise ships? Have you done it and/or been in a contest? It seems to me that wall decorating is more prevalent on today's cruise ships. When I made a comment about this very thing on a 'door decorating' site, 95% of the posters felt: 'Door decorating is fine... Wall decorating was 'too much'.

Though I am a door decorator, I am thinking about doing a small portion of the wall next to the door but haven't made up my mind yet for my next cruise. Thankfully, over the years, we have found ways to hang our items so that no damage is done to the walls or the doors. And I have no doubt that everyone is respectful in cleaning their space up before they disembark. None of us want to add more work for our cabin stewards or take the chance that this 'privilege' will be taken away by Carnival.

"What say you?"

You left out a 3d alternative in your post title - No Decorating.

DON

If you say that to a 'die-hard' wall decorator near you on a cruise, you will find that come the next morning, your surrounding wall will be decorated as well. :D:D:D

It seems that no matter what opinion people have given you, you really have not heard so wondering why you even started this thread. You asked what people thought and you've come back to every person who said they didn't like it with a comment that said basically too bad. It seems like all you want is cheerleaders opinions.

I can tell you if you decorated my door because you didn't like my comment not only would I rip down those decorations I would rip down yours. If you intrude on my space I have no problem with returning the favor.

I think a balloon or something small ON THE DOOR is fine but when you start spreading it out you overstep the boundary.

Has door decorating become more popular on cruise ships? Have you done it and/or been in a contest? It seems to me that wall decorating is more prevalent on today's cruise ships. When I made a comment about this very thing on a 'door decorating' site, 95% of the posters felt: 'Door decorating is fine... Wall decorating was 'too much'.

Though I am a door decorator, I am thinking about doing a small portion of the wall next to the door but haven't made up my mind yet for my next cruise. Thankfully, over the years, we have found ways to hang our items so that no damage is done to the walls or the doors. And I have no doubt that everyone is respectful in cleaning their space up before they disembark. None of us want to add more work for our cabin stewards or take the chance that this 'privilege' will be taken away by Carnival.

"What say you?"

Add me to to the set of those who don't get it. I can remember my cabin number and don't need something scrawled on the door to help me find it. If/when I get to the point where I can't remember the room number, I'll write it on a slip of paper kept in my pocket.

Meanwhile I think the "decorations" people put up are as offensive as graffiti on the walls along city streets. Do what you want inside your private space, but please don't impose your notion of cutesy art on everyone who walks past.

If I see a decorated door, I assume they have small children or someone with a vision problem who has trouble making out the numbers.

I assume that the person is really old and needs door decorations to help them get back to their room.

DON

Our door decorations were stolen on first cruise so we didn't bother with them on second cruise.

Stolen, or removed by the crew? I have seen some decorations that must be difficult to remove or may even leave a mark that the crew now has to clean up. On our first cruise we noticed some decorations were left for the crew to remove after people left their rooms at the end of the cruise. Why should they be the ones removing this stuff?

As for decorating your door so you can find your room - isn't that what the cabin number on your door is for? :confused:

Edited by SantaFeFan

I don't get door decorating to me. It seems silly. And tacky. It is a little juvenile IMHO.

As others have said, would you decorate a hotel or resort door?

We feel the same way about wall decorations. Why bother and what is the thrill????

If I see a decorated door, I assume they have small children .... who has trouble making out the numbers.

I suppose if you have young children and you want to make sure they know where your cabin is then it makes some sense

My opinion is that if children are too young to read the numbers on the door, they are much too young to be wandering around the ship by themselves looking for it and should be with a parent or an older sibling who can show them to the correct room. What kind of parents let children who can't read yet try to find their way to a room alone? :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor

I don't get door decorating to me. It seems silly. And tacky. It is a little juvenile IMHO.

As others have said, would you decorate a hotel or resort door?

We feel the same way about wall decorations. Why bother and what is the thrill????

I don't decorate hotel rooms....and I don't decorate ship cabins....I just don't get it!

I'm another person who doesn't get it.

This so reminds me of something a comedian named Sebastian Maniscalco says to people when they ask him when he's going to get some tattoos - "I don't put bumper stickers on Ferraris". For me, that same sentiment applies to door and wall decorations.

- jump to the 2:12 minute mark.