Why do I have such bad luck with personal cruise consultants??!!

249A

My Personal Consultant was Johnny on the spot initially when she booked my cruise.. called me right back even when I first called and didn't even leave a message!! She just called my number back and asked me if I wanted to book a cruise?

Well the cruise is booked, and twice I called, left messages and no return call.

Ironically, this exact situation happened to me on another cruise line last year.

This time I talked to a PCC supervisor who left a direct message with her.

She did call me back within 3 minutes after that. I am truly second guessing these personal planners vs calling direct. I am a very long time cruiser and was trying to give some business to these people.. I think my old way was less stressful! Anyone else have this trouble? Or am I just jinxed with these personal cruise consultants??

My Personal Consultant was Johnny on the spot initially when she booked my cruise.. called me right back even when I first called and didn't even leave a message!! She just called my number back and asked me if I wanted to book a cruise?

Well the cruise is booked, and twice I called, left messages and no return call.

Ironically, this exact situation happened to me on another cruise line last year.

This time I talked to a PCC supervisor who left a direct message with her.

She did call me back within 3 minutes after that. I am truly second guessing these personal planners vs calling direct. I am a very long time cruiser and was trying to give some business to these people.. I think my old way was less stressful! Anyone else have this trouble? Or am I just jinxed with these personal cruise consultants??

Just like there are many crappy TAs there are also lousy PCC's. I had a good one and then she left. The next 2 were lousy so I asked to be reassigned. Now the one I have is great. Don't be afraid to ask for a new one if you don't like the one you have. Pretty soon posters will be along to tell you the millions they save by using an online ta :rolleyes:.

I had used a variety of booking means, then had a 5 year hiatus from HAL and from cruising. When I decided to cruise again, I contacted the person who had sent me an email introducing himself. I asked a couple of questions - no reply. I tried again and got a late response. Then that PCC disappeared. I booked a HAL cruise through an online agency that I had used in the past.

While on that cruise, I booked a cruise on board with the FCC. She gave me a great deal on a suite and the Explore 4 package. I had some simple questions a couple of months before the cruise, so I contacted a PCC who had introduced herself as my PCC. I got some major misinformation that almost caused me to cancel the booking. Eventually, I took the cruise and had a great time. I'll be cruising on HAL again, but I hesitate to use the PCC who had provided so much wrong information. I know what I want and I don't need hand holding.

I just booked my next cruise using a PCC. After self booking and using a TA I thought to give a PCC a whirl. He was assigned to me a number of years ago and I get the automated messages from time to time. I asked for a Cruise Planner stating I am looking at 2016 cruises and will not book for at least three months from now. He replied quickly and sent out the Cruise Planner. About three months later he checked in, replied every time I had a question. Last week I sent and email to him at 9pm on what cruise I want, day, and referenced my last booking number for passenger information. The next morning he had entered everything in the system, applied my FCC and credit on file due to an issue from the last cruise. He called me when I said to take my CC information. Any other questions I have asked after getting the sale, he has been quick to respond. So I hope I lucked out. The funny thing is, I looked on LinkedIn and Googled his name. He has been with HAL for a long time and is a male model.

I have had 2 PCCs thus far and both have been very good. My current one calls right back and uses email when appropriate to give me even better response.

If you are not happy with your PCC, ask to be reassigned. Its not worth it if you are not happy with them.

I use a PCC and he has been very responsive. I agree you should ask for a new one.

I agree with cruzchic - each person should decide on there own if a PCC or a TA is right for them.

Edited by jaspersmycat

That statement is a bit of a wildly unsupported exaggeration but we constantly save between 10% to 15% by using an online TA we deal with over the phone. Try it, you'll like it ;)

Same here. I received a 15.5% discount for our cruise in February by using a large online TA and saved over $1,200 by doing so. I'm not dumb enough to throw $1,200 away? ;)

By the way, I book through a PCC and transfer the booking for the discount when we are 100% positive we are taking the cruise. The HAL PCC gets credit for the booking, no matter if it is transferred. I'm waiting on a call from him now regarding making another booking.

Edited by kjw869

That statement is a bit of a wildly unsupported exaggeration but we constantly save between 10% to 15% by using an online TA we deal with over the phone. Try it, you'll like it ;)

Me too, and I don't see why we can't say so. Each to his own - it's all about choices.

Likewise, we also used a travel agent for several previous cruises with little added value with regard to the cruise. Perhaps a person new to cruising would appreciate the travel agent, but I am well-informed (thanks to this forum!) with regard to HAL operations.

On the other hand, I was extremely pleased with our personal cruise consultant (spelling out the acronyms for new people). He helped us secure the cabin and other particulars that we wanted at a great deal with plenty of onboard credit to spend as a bonus. He always returned our calls and emails, and even followed up with us after the cruise.

New people: Don't confuse the personal cruise consultant with the normal reservation agents one gets by calling HAL's 800 number. Night and day difference with regard to service, knowledge and attitude.

igraf

... I used a ta for years and it was a total waste of time. TAs bring zero to the table for me. My PCC makes me happy. I would never tell anyone to use something that they don't want to so why tell me?

I booked my cruise direct with HAL, and I didn't know about PCCs then so it was just the reservation department. I didn't find them very helpful at all, and I thought I knew more about the ships and cabins from what I've read here, than the first agent I talked to, who told me that every balcony on the ship (on the sides) was exactly the same size. Well, I know that's not true. This is the first time I have booked with the cruise line and not a travel agent. I will know to ask for a PCC in future, or go back to using a TA. I prefer to talk to the same person each time I call.

Hello Kazu and Lizzie68 - we are going to be on the same cruise next May, I am looking forward to meeting some of the Sailaway Gang!

Since I'm a noob to CC, and haven't cruised in about 10 years (next one with HAL this October) can someone (nicely :) ) break down advantages/disadvantages to using PCC vs TA vs booking yourself?

Is it basically just the amount of work you want to do versus having someone else do it? And if it is someone else, it is just that it is a cr@pshoot if that person will be good or not? [hope that gets through the filters].

For our upcoming cruise, I booked us myself on the HAL site. I did pay attention and about 30 days later saw that our same cabin/dates dropped by about 25% so I called back and got it changed (did lose a bit of OBC, however).

I know this is a 'do what you like, not every method works for everyone', so I probably shouldn't even have posted this, but I truly am curious as to why people choose one method over another -- not that ANY method is wrong :D

Thanks!

--TommyD

Since I'm a noob to CC, and haven't cruised in about 10 years (next one with HAL this October) can someone (nicely :) ) break down advantages/disadvantages to using PCC vs TA vs booking yourself?

Is it basically just the amount of work you want to do versus having someone else do it? And if it is someone else, it is just that it is a cr@pshoot if that person will be good or not? [hope that gets through the filters].

For our upcoming cruise, I booked us myself on the HAL site. I did pay attention and about 30 days later saw that our same cabin/dates dropped by about 25% so I called back and got it changed (did lose a bit of OBC, however).

I know this is a 'do what you like, not every method works for everyone', so I probably shouldn't even have posted this, but I truly am curious as to why people choose one method over another -- not that ANY method is wrong :D

Thanks!

--TommyD

I will give it a shot.

PCC's are similer to TA's that work for HAL and only sell HAL. They can't offer more than what HAL has but they have been known to check for deals. They can also be helpful (the good ones) when a sale comes on with other benefitis, with a price drop or after final payment some obc if the price drops (sometimes) as well as upsells.

TA's (the good ones) who know their stuff can do much the same - advise on cabin location, deals on the go PLUS either offer a discounted price or some OBC. How much depends upon the TA. Some prefer the higher discount and to save 10-12% and others prefer a bit of service and will take a lesser savings. A TA who is good and has connections with HAL can get those upsell offers for you (if that is important to you), OBC if the price drops after final payment (sometimes), etc. The big box stores that offer the higher discounts and/or OBC's are not doing any hand holding and those that book with them don't expect it.

Note - not all TA's offer discounts or OBC's or perks. So, the benefit only applies to those who do. And, if you need a lot of hand holding and things done for you then maybe they shouldn't ;)

Some people book directly with HAL as they prefer to have no middle man but there is no real savings involved and if something does happen, they have no one who will go to bat for them.

I probably missed a few things, but I think that basically coveres it?

Any TA or PCC can be a bit of a cr** shoot at times. There are some good ones out there though and sometimes you can find them with referrals, sometimes with a few questions you can gage if you think they are going to do a decent job (or at least hold them to the standard they promised) and sometimes, it's trial and error.

If someone is happy with whomever they are using, then they are obviously going to promote that avenue of booking.

PCC's work great for some people and others prefer to save more $ with a TA.

As I said earlier if you find a good one (PCC or TA whichever your preferred avenue is) hang on to them. They are worth their weight in gold.

Edited by kazu

Thanks!

--TommyD

You have no middleman and therefore can talk to hal direct. Many times on here people complain that their discount ta will not get back to them and hal won't talk to them. That is a risk you take. My PCC is very good about room selection which I really don't need. I do not need anyone to fight for me, my ta never did. A second party will never fight for me more than I'll fight for myself. If discounts are important it's better to go with a discount ta but you may give up service in return.

Thanks!

--TommyD

My two cents (and it's probably not even worth that much): I do all the research myself upfront. I know the cruise I want, the cabin I want, the dining time I want, etc. I then use a TA with a large online discount agency to book the cruise. What do I get out of it. Usually around a 10% to 15% discount or OBC's that the agency takes out of their commission. I've cruised enough that I feel that I "know what I'm doing". The TA is just a middle man. If I could get the same 10% by booking directly with the cruise line would I? Absolutely.

I've booked a few last minute flash sale deals where the TA couldn't offer any discount or OBC. So I booked directly with the cruise line.

Now if I were doing a world cruise or other exotic cruise then I would probably use an agency that specializes in those. There are a lot of other things that are required (i.e. visas, vaccinations, etc.) that they could assist me with that usually aren't required for the 14 day or less cruises I take.

But basically just do whatever floats your boat!

Best advice, go with what your experiences have taught you. I'm fortunate to have a superb TA who invariably beats whatever prices I find online, though that's not the only reason I use her. As some others have also noted, by the time I contact her I've already decided which cabin I want, or if I want a guarantee, whether I'd consider upsells, which dining options, which transfers and HAL hotels if any, etc. Other than that my only open topics to discuss is HAL flight options versus independent travel; done it both ways but lately I've favored HAL air as their prices are very competitive, I fly from a major airport (Newark NJ) so I almst always have the same flights I'd pick were I booking air independently, and there is the added advantage of cancellaltion coverage on the air portion. So there are really almost open questions left to discuss with HAL at the time she books. She watches the pricing and advises if there is downward movement and when so always calls with what options are open to me in response. If you can get a TA like that, stick with her (or him), if not, try a PCC.

Edited by Dave in NJ

One advantage of a TA vs. a PCC that hasn't been mentioned is that a TA can take care of things that are not part of HAL.

My TA has checked out and booked limo companies so I can get to a distant airport to get a better flight. She has researched hotels in foreign cities, and reminds me of details such as visas.

She takes care of the Special Needs form for me, and makes sure I am scheduled for wheelchair assistance.

I love that I don't have to do any of these things for myself, yet get to make the decisions when she presents the info. If you prefer a more hands-on approach, this may not be a consideration for you.

line and not a travel agent. I will know to ask for a PCC in future, or go back toI booked my cruise direct with HAL, and I didn't know about PCCs then so it was just the reservation department. I didn't find them very helpful at all, and I thought I knew more about the ships and cabins from what I've read here, than the first agent I talked to, who told me that every balcony on the ship (on the sides) was exactly the same size. Well, I know that's not true. This is the first time I have booked with the cruise using a TA. I prefer to talk to the same person each time I call.

Hello Kazu and Lizzie68 - we are going to be on the same cruise next May, I am looking forward to meeting some of the Sailaway Gang!

Thank you and hello back - our roll call is growing. And if I hear of any price cuts or anything else through my TA I will let you know.;)

Best advice, go with what your experiences have taught you. I'm fortunate to have a superb TA who invariably beats whatever prices I find online, though that's not the only reason I use her. As some others have also noted, by the time I contact her I've already decided which cabin I want, or if I want a guarantee, whether I'd consider upsells, which dining options, which transfers and HAL hotels if any, etc. Other than that my only open topics to discuss is HAL flight options versus independent travel; done it both ways but lately I've favored HAL air as their prices are very competitive, I fly from a major airport (Newark NJ) so I almst always have the same flights I'd pick were I booking air independently, and there is the added advantage of cancellaltion coverage on the air portion. So there are really almost open questions left to discuss with HAL at the time she books. She watches the pricing and advises if there is downward movement and when so always calls with what options are open to me in response. If you can get a TA like that, stick with her (or him), if not, try a PCC.

Great advice, Dave - pretty much mirrors my approach/experience with our superb TA ... RuthC makes a good point as well ... bottom line is, stick with whoever/whatever fits your style/needs ...

Booked our 1st HAL cruise thru our TA, saved $700 over the price directly with HAL. Never understand not using TAs, a 10% savings is great. TA is very responsive, never have had an issue

One thing we really like about PCCs is that upsells are emailed directly to the customer.

This can save the upsell because often time is important. If you use a TA, you won't really know if an upsell is available for your cruise. The TA may or may not contact you about it. Even then, it can be too late and the upsells are sold out.

One thing we really like about PCCs is that upsells are emailed directly to the customer.

This can save the upsell because often time is important. If you use a TA, you won't really know if an upsell is available for your cruise. The TA may or may not contact you about it. Even then, it can be too late and the upsells are sold out.

This is pretty much the reason we don't use TAs (besides having some bad experiences with inept agencies). I like the direct contact and fast response.