Bringing Whine Aboard

I'll never understand why someone would waste good money on a fee to cork a whine. You could put that money toward two whole cocktails. Of course, that would be house brand cocktails.

I'll never understand why someone would waste good money on a fee to cork a whine. You could put that money toward two whole cocktails. Of course, that would be house brand cocktails.

Ive always just uncorked it in my cabin, stuck the cork back in to cover it and walked into the MDR (Chops once too) with it myself and poured it.

But I don't think they charge the fee now anyway.

So, if I have table-mates who bring some whine with them, and it doesn't seem like they're going to finish it, I can get the waiter to put a cork in it for them?

OMG, if only! Thanks for the fun I'm having reading this thread!

So, if I have table-mates who bring some whine with them, and it doesn't seem like they're going to finish it, I can get the waiter to put a cork in it for them?

I don't think so -- I think the CD's staff is responsible for whine corking.

A potential issue with people bringing their own whine: after consuming their own ample supply, they seek out and soak up excess quantities of others' whine aboard, and soon become mightily overserved on whine thus sending the waitstaff running hither and fro for corks of all sizes.

Edited by undercat

Ive always just uncorked it in my cabin, stuck the cork back in to cover it and walked into the MDR (Chops once too) with it myself and poured it.

But I don't think they charge the fee now anyway.

A corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the wine. When a fee is charged for bringing your own wine, AKA a corkage fee, opening the bottle yourself doesn't eliminate the fee.

A corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the wine. When a fee is charged for bringing your own wine, AKA a corkage fee, opening the bottle yourself doesn't eliminate the fee.

On our last 3 cruises tho (Explorer, Enchantment and Independence) .. we were never charged any of the times we brought our own wine in.

So I don't think they charge it any longer.

[quote name='Paul65']How much whine are you allowed to bring with you on Royal Caribbean, and should you carry it on with you or check it at the pier? If someone were to bring it to the MDR with them, how much would you pay your waiter to cork it for you?[/quote]

I've always been told that it is ok to bring your whine onboard...but only if it is fine whine. :p

[quote name='Trekker954']you can whine to your hearts content. But if you want to bring wine, its one bottle per person over 21 years of age. Carry it in your carry on, although that isn't documented to do so. They have lifted the corkage fee, so bring your wine to the MDR[/quote]

I disagree. I always bring it in my checked luggage. We usually always take 3 bottles even though the rule is really 1 per person. I have also often purchased additional bottles in port and have never had a problem taking it back on in my backpack. It depends on the ship, but usually they don't say anything. I have been asked to check it in at the desk twice (but I only actually did one time! ), but usually they do not say anything if you just have one bottle. I just got back from Alaska. Took 3 bottles on, and they never said a word in Juneau or Ketchikan. Edited by clc6p

[quote name='clc6p']I disagree. I always bring it in my checked luggage. We usually always take 3 bottles even though the rule is really 1 per person. I have also often purchased additional bottles in port and have never had a problem taking it back on in my backpack. It depends on the ship, but usually they don't say anything. I have been asked to check it in at the desk twice (but I only actually did one time! ), but usually they do not say anything if you just have one bottle. I just got back from Alaska. Took 3 bottles on, and they never said a word in Juneau or Ketchikan.[/QUOTE]

As long as you are prepared to cover the damage to someone else's luggage when those bottles break, do what suits you.

[quote name='WrittenOnYourHeart']As long as you are prepared to cover the damage to someone else's luggage when those bottles break, do what suits

Thanks for your input! Many cruise lines require u bring it in your checked luggage. I have really great wine travel bags so if they were to break, it would be inside the individual wine bottle holder. I travel with wine all over the world though and have taken on almost 20 cruises and never had it happen.

[quote name='F27TW']On our last 3 cruises tho (Explorer, Enchantment and Independence) .. we were never charged any of the times we brought our own wine in.

So I don't think they charge it any longer.[/quote]

You are correct, there is no longer a corkage fee.

[quote name='LMaxwell']1. No it is not. The rule is 2 per cabin, regardless of occupants.

2. Did you really miss the sarcasm of the thread?[/QUOTE]

Got it. :). But for us That meant 5 bottles on this most recent cruise counting whine in cruise ports!