Alcohol to 18 year old?

Cruising Crew

I just checked my daughters cruise card and the was no mark on the bottom right that she was in the 18-20 group. Her card was the same as mine. In the

back of the patter ( under the bars, clubs and lounges ) there was a statement that read: The legal drinking age of 18 years is observed onboard and photo ID may be required.

I just checked my daughters cruise card and the was no mark on the bottom right that she was in the 18-20 group. Her card was the same as mine. In the back of the patter ( under the bars, clubs and lounges ) there was a statement that read: The legal drinking age of 18 years is observed onboard and photo ID may be required.

Your card should have had an A on the bottom right.

Just a thought to the OP- if your daughter is denied an alcohol drink because of her age,that does not prevent her from having a mocktail or soda to celebrate the cruise with you .

IMHO - go with the program and have a great cruise!

It was scrapped in Australia too. Thank god. 18 was deemed the age. Which was about the same time that our drinking age was reduced to 18.

Pushka, the last time there was conscription (National Service) in Australia, during the Vietnam war, the age was 20 not 18.

Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland joined the other states and territories in reducing the age to legally drink alcohol to 18 during the early to mid 1970s.

Leigh

Pushka, the last time there was conscription (National Service) in Australia, during the Vietnam war, the age was 20 not 18.

Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland joined the other states and territories in reducing the age to legally drink alcohol to 18 during the early to mid 1970s.

USA states changed from 18, 19 or 20 to 21 in the period 1984-1986.

Each state sets its own minimum drinking age, but the Federal government passed a law that said if it was not 21, then the states would lose 10% of their highway construction funds that came from the Federal Government.

Edited by caribill

Leigh

According to the Legislation, 18 year olds could be conscripted.

ca33af2b3adeac999589c2061df9e768.jpg

And changes to drinking ages:

5f055e2c0831ac1019492f0e89e9f702.jpg

I just checked my daughters cruise card and the was no mark on the bottom right that she was in the 18-20 group. Her card was the same as mine. In the

back of the patter ( under the bars, clubs and lounges ) there was a statement that read: The legal drinking age of 18 years is observed onboard and photo ID may be required.

Would be so grateful if you could post a picture of the patter from the Emerald showing the drinking age, date and that its from the Emerald, Thanks in advance 😀

Would be so grateful if you could post a picture of the patter from the Emerald showing the drinking age, date and that its from the Emerald, Thanks in advance 😀

I was on the Emerald 2 weeks ago, it's the 1st time I have seen the signs at the bars with 18 on them.

I was on the Emerald Princess in May out if Southampton see attached section of the Patter

. [ATTACH]352949[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much Jackie but the Southanpton departures the drinking age is 18, it's Emerald cruises from non UK Departure points I need .

The alcohol minimum age varies ship to ship and also where in the world the ship is cruising. There are also anomalies on transatlantic repositioning cruises e.g. Southampton to USA. Australia, as has probably been mentioned in the past is also a 18 area.

It would put a cruise line at a distinct business disadvantage if they tried to impose an 18 limit in Europe and if they did a lot of business; but not all, might well transfer to a rival line adhering to the local law.

Alcohol consumption is perceived very differently in the US and UK. The Americans went through a period of prohibition and the total banning of alcoholic drinks seemed to give rise to a criminal gangs organising alcoholic drinking establishments and people that continued to drink were a bit marginalised. My experience contemporary American drinkers and bars is that by and large the middle ground social drinkers are not considered a big group. Whereas in the UK the ancient water supply; particularly in big cities such as London was not safe to drink and gave rise to the plague. So from a far earlier era; older than the United States the British turned to sterilising their water by either boiling it and having a hot drink such as tea or sterilising it by producing beer as a cold drink. Thus many years ago we would allow our children to drink for health reasons. Later on cheaper forms of sterilised water became available gin in particular and whisky. Obviously at some point after the tap water was made safe in the Victorian era things evolved and we eventually ended up with an age limit.

On the whole British people have a more positive spin on drinking as it came about from good healthy thinking as we see it.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I need photographic evidence 😉 so I can resolve an issue.

Nice to be called a liar, but if you send me £800 I will take a weeks cruise in her in July and prove it. For the fee I will provide as many pics as you need

Edited by antsp

Nice to be called a liar, but if you send me £800 I will take a weeks cruise in her in July and prove it. For the fee I will provide as many pics as you need

I've never called you a liar!! 😮 sorry if you've mis-interpreted my posts. I believe you totally, it's Princess I need to convince which is why I need the photographic evidence.. But it can wait till I've sailed in August if I can't get before.

From doing a Med cruise last year with an 18 and 21 year old. The critical thing is whether the ship departs from Southampton. If it does (as with the Grand last year and which ever ship is doing so this year), then the drinking age is 18. If the (same or another) ship departs from an European port, then it observes 21 as the drinking age.

From doing a Med cruise last year with an 18 and 21 year old. The critical thing is whether the ship departs from Southampton. If it does (as with the Grand last year and which ever ship is doing so this year), then the drinking age is 18. If the (same or another) ship departs from an European port, then it observes 21 as the drinking age.

Not anymore

Correct, ours was 21. You just don't know until you board.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everybody

I was the OP. We are back from our cruise which was on the Island departing Barcelona on 27 June. When we initially joined the ship the age was 21 after a couple of days it was lowered to 18. This was never officially announced but was on the small print on the back of the patter. The only reason I knew was I had been chatting with one of the Guest Entertainers and he told me they had lowered it. I can scan a copy of the back of a patter if anyone needs it. The staff were aware of the change. My daughter is a young looking 18 and was asked for ID - once the servers had seen it no issues.

Hope this helps someone.

Shirley