Cruise Ship War Still On?

Maybe they are maximizing the space by getting rid of those space wasting balconies.

18375401073_96e472344a_c.jpg

And, could this be a first look at the cabins:)

popup.jpg

Do you think there'll be that much cabin space?

I wish they'd all concentrate on better rather than just bigger.

You know

Better Service

Better Food

Better itineraries

Better prices [not just on the cruise but all up]

Better staff to Pax ratio.

Hear, hear!

One only has to look at the new MSC Vista class of ship that will be built at the same shipyard as Harmony prior to the building of Oasis 4 to see that many RCI ideas are 'innovations'.

The idea of the 'Seaplex' with a 2 level sports deck along with the 2 level aft lounge similar to 'Two70' and the 2 level 'promenade' all are included with the MSC MSC Meraviglia coming in Spring of 2017. It is sort of a hybrid of Oasis and Quantum class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1YznDrQm0

Together with the Miami based Seaside they are taking the best from NCL and RCI and adding a special flare.

The Aida / Costa ships are 'rumored' to have unique new design features that revolutionize the use of space on a cruise ship. It will be interesting to see.

The added rope courts, water parks and slides and use of LED screens and such coming on all these ships could be classed as 'gimmicks' similar to RCI's Northstar and Robo Bartenders, but they all have innovations to a certain degree.

Do you think there'll be that much cabin space?

Harmony carries 6360 pax and 2100 crew, so more then Carnival. Harmony is bigger by a bunch from her 2 Sisters and not sure where Ovation fits into it! http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-takes-water-france-143855130.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I really don't understand this .

I fully agree with you here!

Well, if you just think about the royal promenade on oasis, lower the ceiling to make it one story instead of three. You've dramatically lowered the GRT without affecting the space where people are actually moving about. It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable. I suppose the notion of whether it feels crowded or not will have a lot to do with what variety of things there are to do onboard and how they spread the people around.

Lowering the ceiling doesn´t change anything. Only eliminating decks would decrease GRT and you can only eliminate decks from the top, not in the middle.

It certainly does seem unreasonable. Public space is not only about floor space but also about vertical space. From crowd controll aspects you can´t put as many People on the same floor space in a low ceiling venue as in a high ceiling venue. A space like the Promenade would not work if it were just one story high.

At the end of the day the fact remains that the somewhere on board space Needs to be eliminated for a) reducing the GRT and b) put in more cabins for the additional Pax and hopefully additional crew going along with the additional Pax.

The space most likely will be taken from public Areas be it horizontal or vertical space. Even if just vertical, it still makes for a much more crowded Feeling. (Compare Royal Promenade on RCI ships, to sort of the same space on QM2). Of course they could also make cabins smaller to cramp in more People and not take public space. :eek: Or IMHO much worse take it away from the already cramped crew:eek::eek:

Harmony carries 6360 pax and 2100 crew, so more then Carnival. Harmony is bigger by a bunch from her 2 Sisters and not sure where Ovation fits into it! http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-takes-water-france-143855130.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wikipedia list oasis at 6296 full and 5400 dbl occupancy. Plus that may be pre renovation. Not sure Harmony is bigger by much

The ship I am most interested in seeing is the new MSC ship that will replace Divina in Miami. We loved our experience on MSC and can't wait to hear more details.

Skyking,,,both MSC Divina and MSC Seaside will be sailing year round from a remodeled, dedicated terminal at the POM(currently terminal F). MSC Divina will be sailing extended Caribbean itineraries, while MSC Seaside will be sailing 7 night Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries.

MSC Meraviglia appears to be mimicking some of the Oasis Class innovations with it's two deck interior promenade complete with 480 square meter LED ceiling,,two deck sports area, as well as a two deck aft lounge.

11541269_908716555838878_891518211_n.jpg

11541294_908716565838877_287594096_n.jpg

11292002_908716545838879_843617717_n.jpg

I fully agree with you here!

Lowering the ceiling doesn´t change anything. Only eliminating decks would decrease GRT and you can only eliminate decks from the top, not in the middle.

It certainly does seem unreasonable. Public space is not only about floor space but also about vertical space. From crowd controll aspects you can´t put as many People on the same floor space in a low ceiling venue as in a high ceiling venue. A space like the Promenade would not work if it were just one story high.

At the end of the day the fact remains that the somewhere on board space Needs to be eliminated for a) reducing the GRT and b) put in more cabins for the additional Pax and hopefully additional crew going along with the additional Pax.

The space most likely will be taken from public Areas be it horizontal or vertical space. Even if just vertical, it still makes for a much more crowded Feeling. (Compare Royal Promenade on RCI ships, to sort of the same space on QM2). Of course they could also make cabins smaller to cramp in more People and not take public space. :eek: Or IMHO much worse take it away from the already cramped crew:eek::eek:

When you are designing something from scratch, you may remove the space from anywhere you choose, not only the top. You can move dining rooms up and cabins down, you can eliminate a room from anywhere, or erase a deck from the middle. Remember, it's a new build, not a remodel of an existing boat.

The only way reducing the height of space like the royal promenade reduces capacity is if people are utilizing that air over their heads for something other than oxygen. Do carnival ships have giant rooms like this? The Disney Fantasy had an Atrium that other than an occasional party was a three story dead space smack in the middle of the boat, never had a reason to do anything there, never saw anyone there. It was nowhere near the size of the royal promenade, It was space that certainly could have been used differently. Other than that room and the theaters, I believe every other room was single story.

The point is, since gross registered tons is a measure of internal volume, dead open internal space increases the number without increasing actual capacity, you can decrease the number without affecting actual people capacity by using the space more efficiently. That doesn't mean more crowds, it just means no vaulted ceilings.

It's a numbers game that has no real point since a high GRT doesn't assure you you'll have lots of elbow room and a lower number doesn't guarantee you won't.

I wish they'd all concentrate on better rather than just bigger.

You know

Better Service

Better Food

Better itineraries

Better prices [not just on the cruise but all up]

Better staff to Pax ratio.

That's because they are run by men. and you know they do think bigger is better. :)

That's because they are run by men. and you know they do think bigger is better. :)

As much as that's a tongue in check comment, it would be interesting to see a woman run a cruise line.

I really don't understand this.

When you are designing something from scratch, you may remove the space from anywhere you choose, not only the top. You can move dining rooms up and cabins down, you can eliminate a room from anywhere, or erase a deck from the middle. Remember, it's a new build, not a remodel of an existing boat.

Ahhhh, now I see, you´ve found a way of inovative ship building where you can have non internal space in the middle of the ship and the decks above are just hovering above that space.:rolleyes:

Nice designed ships have airy open spaces (high ceilings). I´ve never seen a public space on any ship that is the height of a regular one Story cabin deck and that´s for a reason.

Yes they can eliminate all you said with the result of having a way lesser Passenger Space Ratio. <=> Crowded ship feel !!!

I really don't understand this.

You have finally convinced me. :rolleyes:

On my last cruise I heard from a cabin steward that the new water sides on Harmony also double as actual cannons. This should give RC the advantage in the cruise ship war. If it had got the North Star, like they had wished, they would have the perfect viewing platform to spot their prey. RC should have no problem taking down the Disney Ships with their themed pirate night parties and Roman Candle fireworks.

If the other rumour of Captain Johnny being Harmony's captain are true, he is one step closer to getting that eye patch he has always wanted. After all, he already has the bird for his shoulder. ;)

Let the cruise ship war begin.

You just won the internet. :D

Hilarious post!!!

As a Carnival cruiser, when I board the Jewel in October, should I wear a rain coat to keep the rotten tomatoes from getting my clothes dirty? Do I need to hide the fact that I cruise on Carnival? Will other RCCL cruisers spit on me and mock me and ridicule me if I mention I cruise Carnival? Would it be better if I just cancel the cruise because RCCL cruisers might spray graffiti on my cabin door labeling me as a Carnival cruiser? I'm a little worried. RCCL cruisers seem so....protective.

I'd bring an umbrella also. Just in case some tomatoes get thrown from the balconies as you are returning from a port of call.

(I'm kidding, of course :))

The ship will have 2500 cabins, or 5000 lower berths. That means to get to 6600 passenger capacity, they need to fit another 1600 in the 2500 cabins.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_world's_largest_cruise_ships

The Quantum and new MSC ships are probably the closest in size and these have 250 to 400 fewer cabins. Where will they put them all?

In general, Royal ships have less guests than Carnival or NCL across the fleets because Royal has more public space for it's guests. You can see that easily when you place deck plans next to each other.

For NCL that changed with Breakaway Class and it seems like Carnival Cruise have moved forward with the new Vista Class.

Royal have spent the past 3 years 'enhancing' their ships and that will soon be completed with Adventure and Jewel 'Revitalizations'

A look at the former and current deck plans will indicate just how much public space has been taken away from RCI ships.

Along the way they learned they could add hundreds of new cabins and additional specialty dining and remove nightclubs and lounges and libraries and card rooms and private dining areas even on the larger Freedom and Voyager class ships like they did to the Radiance and Vision Class.

They will soon take Liberty and Mariner in for their second round of 'revitalizations' and further adjust their space to passenger ratio.

RCI have done a very good job with these 'revitalizations'.

It seems the entire industry has found more efficient ways to use space, including RCI.

I also found it a bit odd that they are touting these as the largest ships. Gaging by the standard metric of double occupancy, these new ships will still be "smaller" both in size and capacity than oasis class. Also,,if I read the news correctly two of the four will be Aida and the other two Costa?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article24432295.html

Ahhhh, now I see, you´ve found a way of inovative ship building where you can have non internal space in the middle of the ship and the decks above are just hovering above that space.:rolleyes:

Nice designed ships have airy open spaces (high ceilings). I´ve never seen a public space on any ship that is the height of a regular one Story cabin deck and that´s for a reason.

Yes they can eliminate all you said with the result of having a way lesser Passenger Space Ratio. <=> Crowded ship feel !!!

You have finally convinced me. :rolleyes:

I certainly don't understand your hostility.

Many boats don't have high ceilings, I mentioned one earlier that is consistently rated one of the best cruise ships. I've previously stated I'm no engineer but I'm not so ignorant as to assume that when designing a new structure, that not having a high ceiling room means it must have a void in the middle. If I get rid of that open space, my boat now doesn't need to be 17 decks high, didn't take anything off the top, yet the internal volume has shrunk, the top deck is lower, the GRT has gone down.

I've tried to explain it a couple different ways, if all you have is some inexplicably snarky response, just keep it. I personally don't care where they use their space since I'll never see it anyway. I was simply trying to introduce a rational thought into the discussion. I'm not going to argue with someone who is being intentionally ignorant.