Cruise Ship War Still On?

so they are making a ship "M" size bigger with "X" more capacity? Oh boy, let's shove more ppl on. I am sorry, but I am just not a Carnival fan. Especially with the whole idea of make a ship a bit bigger with MUCH more rooms....

No, this is true. But I thought I read that they may deploy a ship to Asia too.

Also, don't they have co-ed naked saunas on Aida and no formal MDR (just a few buffet restaurants)? That would save some space...

Well deploying a ship to Aisa is not the same as Marketing it to Asia.

Even if the ship sails out of Asia I have my doubts it will immerse to Asia and marketed to the locals.

I have no idea about the Saunas and the Dining concept of Aida, but I´ve never been to a Sauna where I have not been naked.:confused:

On my last cruise I heard from a cabin steward that the new water sides on Harmony also double as actual cannons. This should give RC the advantage in the cruise ship war. If it had got the North Star, like they had wished, they would have the perfect viewing platform to spot their prey. RC should have no problem taking down the Disney Ships with their themed pirate night parties and Roman Candle fireworks.

If the other rumour of Captain Johnny being Harmony's captain are true, he is one step closer to getting that eye patch he has always wanted. After all, he already has the bird for his shoulder. ;)

Let the cruise ship war begin.

Love your sense of humor.

I agree, I will refer to the Radiance Class as a mid size ship and a perfect size, not to small & not to large. A new Radiance Class ship could be built, keeping the glass with perhaps some added touches but one doesn't need all the bells & whistles to make a ship better. Retain some itamacy with a new Radiance Class ship.

I agree with you 100%!! Love the Radiance Class!!

I wish they'd all concentrate on better rather than just bigger.

You know

Better Service

Better Food

Better itineraries

Better prices [not just on the cruise but all up]

Better staff to Pax ratio.

Ditto......and ye, we have cruised on Oasis and Allure ;)

That's true in terms of tonnage, but in terms of passenger capacity, they will have about 150 more passengers than Royal Caribbean's Oasis class

That means stuffed more not larger, hardly dwarfed.

I really don't understand this thread, doesn't Oasis have a 300 foot long 3 story high royal promenade? Isn't GRT a measure of internal volume? If the new ships lack an enormous cavernous internal spaces like this, I don't see how it's not perfectly possible to increase capacity with a lower GRT. The Oasis has a displacement of about 110,000 short tons, I'm curious about the displacement of the new ships. I don't think you can really compare them with anything but a wild uneducated guess until more information is known, perhaps a published deck plan would be helpful.

I agree, I will refer to the Radiance Class as a mid size ship and a perfect size, not to small & not to large. A new Radiance Class ship could be built, keeping the glass with perhaps some added touches but one doesn't need all the bells & whistles to make a ship better. Retain some itamacy with a new Radiance Class ship.

Recently sailed Brilliance of Sea and loved that size without all the land based stuff they are trying to put on ships.

We for sure want to sail Brilliance again out of Tampa, FL

On my last cruise I heard from a cabin steward that the new water sides on Harmony also double as actual cannons. This should give RC the advantage in the cruise ship war. If it had got the North Star, like they had wished, they would have the perfect viewing platform to spot their prey. RC should have no problem taking down the Disney Ships with their themed pirate night parties and Roman Candle fireworks.

Actually I heard from a very good source in housekeeping that those canon/slides are designed to shoot chair hogs, package sharers, and non-tippers into the sea. They said Royal has also replaced the old plank walk music with a new upgraded pre-ejection ceremony that includes bagpipes. Of course it's reserved for gold cards and D+ only.

Edited by Big_G

I really don't understand this thread, doesn't Oasis have a 300 foot long 3 story high royal promenade? Isn't GRT a measure of internal volume? If the new ships lack an enormous cavernous internal spaces like this, I don't see how it's not perfectly possible to increase capacity with a lower GRT. The Oasis has a displacement of about 110,000 short tons, I'm curious about the displacement of the new ships. I don't think you can really compare them with anything but a wild uneducated guess until more information is known, perhaps a published deck plan would be helpful.

Now that you say it, yeah it should be easy to just eliminate an enormous cavernous internal space or at least parts of it to bring the ship down to over 45000 GRT less than Oasis class. Of course now after having eliminated that enourmous internal space which serves as public space onboard, we need to find some more public space that needs to be turned into cabins. :rolleyes:

Of course it is possible to build a ship with less GRT and a higher capacity, otherwise they wouldn´t do it. But however you Twist it, you need to eliminate public space to not only get down in GRT but to put in more cabins at the same time. Passenger Space Ratio is going to be way worse than on Oasis.

Now that you say it, yeah it should be easy to just eliminate an enormous cavernous internal space or at least parts of it to bring the ship down to over 45000 GRT less than Oasis class. Of course now after having eliminated that enourmous internal space which serves as public space onboard, we need to find some more public space that needs to be turned into cabins. :rolleyes:

Of course it is possible to build a ship with less GRT and a higher capacity, otherwise they wouldn´t do it. But however you Twist it, you need to eliminate public space to not only get down in GRT but to put in more cabins at the same time. Passenger Space Ratio is going to be way worse than on Oasis.

Well, if you just think about the royal promenade on oasis, lower the ceiling to make it one story instead of three. You've dramatically lowered the GRT without affecting the space where people are actually moving about. It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable. I suppose the notion of whether it feels crowded or not will have a lot to do with what variety of things there are to do onboard and how they spread the people around.

I so agree we need more Radiance class, and build it so the ship has a full production stage! Maybe room for a flowrider and keep all the glass, glass elevators especially, and that beautiful back deck! Make sure the ship has a true Vision class wrapped corner aft balcony at a very reasonable price like Vision!

Some of us don't want to be on the traveling mega mall!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well, if you just think about the royal promenade on oasis, lower the ceiling to make it one story instead of three. You've dramatically lowered the GRT without affecting the space where people are actually moving about. It certainly doesn't seem unreasonable. I suppose the notion of whether it feels crowded or not will have a lot to do with what variety of things there are to do onboard and how they spread the people around.

How do you figure? If you lower the ceiling there is less space below the ceiling but now there is more space above it. Wouldn't GRT remain the same? How does that change anything other than provide more area to maybe pack in more cabins and increase the passenger carrying capacity?

Edited by Ocean Boy

How do you figure? If you lower the ceiling there is less space below the ceiling but now there is more space above it. Wouldn't GRT remain the same? How does that change anything other than provide more area to maybe pack in more cabins and increase the passenger carrying capacity?

Well if you lowered every other deck above the ceiling accordingly you wouldn't increase cabins and you'd decrease GRT, you'd still have the same passenger capacity and the same public floor space and crowding issues would be unchanged. I have no way to know how much that would reduce GRT as I'm not an engineer, but I know that it would change the numbers.

Well if you lowered every other deck above the ceiling accordingly you wouldn't increase cabins and you'd decrease GRT, you'd still have the same passenger capacity and the same public floor space and crowding issues would be unchanged. I have no way to know how much that would reduce GRT as I'm not an engineer, but I know that it would change the numbers.

But you would end up with another central park like depression. What is above promenade now.

Actually, it is central Park. It would put boardwalk and central park on same level.

Edited by John&LaLa

I wish they'd all concentrate on better rather than just bigger.

You know

Better Service

Better Food

Better itineraries

Better prices [not just on the cruise but all up]

Better staff to Pax ratio.

I sooooo agree!!

Marg

But you would end up with another central park like depression. What is above promenade now

if they used the plans for Oasis and only made that one change, sure. Since they are starting with a new design, all they need to do is not have huge high ceiling rooms inside. Overall dimensions along with GRT go down while public space stays the same, or potentially even increases.

Quantum class, while elegant and beautiful is more gimmicky than innovative.

North Star.

Rip Cord by iFly.

Robo Bar.

Dynamic Dining. (Wonderland etc)

Gimmicks? Innovation?

Discuss.

North Star.

Rip Cord by iFly.

Robo Bar.

Dynamic Dining. (Wonderland etc)

Gimmicks? Innovation?

Discuss.

I'm one who thinks that Q Class is definitely innovative! Oasis Class will always have that WOW factor, but Q Class seems to be amazing in their own right. First off, the technology (when working:p) is cutting edge and really brings cruising into these modern times. I can see how some view the North Star as a gimmick, but IMO, that is not so. As you said, Two70 seems to be a great venue, with the addition of great entertainment.

With all of that said, I have never been on the Quantum or Anthem, so my feedback might not be spot on, but this is what I have thought up after reading many, many Q Class reviews.

I'm one who thinks that Q Class is definitely innovative! Oasis Class will always have that WOW factor, but Q Class seems to be amazing in their own right. First off, the technology (when working:p) is cutting edge and really brings cruising into these modern times. I can see how some view the North Star as a gimmick, but IMO, that is not so. As you said, Two70 seems to be a great venue, with the addition of great entertainment.

With all of that said, I have never been on the Quantum or Anthem, so my feedback might not be spot on, but this is what I have thought up after reading many, many Q Class reviews.

We've just come back from 12 nights on Anthem. We usually cruise for ports, spending as long as possible ashore seeing what's out there.

This time only 4 of the 7 ports were new to us. We only spent about 12 hours ashore. There's so much to see and do on the ship.

I forgot to mention Seaplex. Anyone fancy the swinging trapeze?

Edited by papcx

I'm still at a point where the ship is not the destination...so many places that I want to see. Sure, the ship matters but mostly in terms of quality food and service, not in terms of having a movie theater and amusement rides onboard or whatever. I actually didn't like Allure and I have no desire to cruise on new megaships (not just RCCL's) because I want to feel like I'm on a ship, not a floating island.

The irony is that now while I'm young, is the time to do the rock climbing wall and flowrider and all that other stuff. By the time I've traveled to most places that I want to visit and I would actually stay on the ship and enjoy the amenities and attractions instead of going to shore - I might be too old :D

I cannot imagine having over 6000 passengers on a 180,000 ton ship. Forget about dinner and show reservations, you will need to have reservations for the elevators and public restrooms. I guess it might work if the whole ship is cabins and there are no public areas to try to wade through.

If I want that sort of place I'll go to an island resort.

Though it need not feel crowded if well designed I've been on 2000 PAX ships that seemed less crowded than smaller ones, And I've been on 2000 PAX ships that were just awful because the facilities weren't there to cater for them any everything was crowded and waiting was the norm.