Stay healthy and pack your own aspirin.

computerworks

That is why you need travel insurance with medical coverage

Reading the comment they were reimbursed by their insurance so more media hype

the FOX news of Australia

As for the other expenses it is all normal unless you go all inclusive

or do not drink, phone home from the ship etc...

We take basic OTC medication with us if you are prone to certain problems take what you might need with you

Edited by LHT28

I would hardly call excursions and alcohol "hidden charges;" where are those items listed when the cost isn't shown? It surely doesn't take much research to find the phone costs and as I recall the price for the daily paper is also prominently shown.

The only time I've ever needed a ship's doctor was on another line and my care was a one-time visit with antibiotics and much less than the costs described in the linked article. Since then my primary care physician is always willing to prescribe a broad-spectrum antibiotic for me to take along "just in case." Cover the rest of the bases with OTC items. We also tend to be over-cautious in terms of sanitizing, pressing elevator buttons through a sleeve, minimize handrail use, and live in an informal "bubble" the week before a cruise - avoid the mall, theatres, anyplace with crowds.

The paper we just stating the facts, I did not find it out of line. Oceania does charge a lot for non included items. If you are used to a society that does not tip the added tips do seem quiet large. The Dr visits are about the same as going to the ER here in NY, off the wall. Just medical travel insurance is cheap. We usually get a 500k to one mill primary policy with med evac for less than 200$ for two weeks. We are in our late 60s.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

The paper we just stating the facts, I did not find it out of line. Oceania does charge a lot for non included items. If you are used to a society that does not tip the added tips do seem quiet large. The Dr visits are about the same as going to the ER here in NY, off the wall. Just medical travel insurance is cheap. We usually get a 500k to one mill primary policy with med evac for less than 200$ for two weeks. We are in our late 60s.

Are you able to share where you purchase such insurance? I'm looking for the same type of coverage.

to Europeans those charges are outrageous ...

in over 60 cruises i needed medical assistance 4 times but the charges never were that high

on a Crystal the doctor had to remove a piece of glass out of my finger - the charges were for the company as it did happen on a table in a bar

and on ms Europa i paid less than 50 € to see the doctor and some medication - throat infection.

Always take a good insurance !

and i always do carry a lot of basic medication - including 2 types of antibiotics.

Last year on regatta I got a very bad cold sore, probably brought on by the sun, it was enormous and very painful. As we were at sea for 3 days off I popped to a non too friendly doctor on board. Tube of cream, and some antiviral tablets about £250. But the thing was it did clear up quickly so I could enjoy my holiday. Insurance company paid up quickly so no bother. Take Zovirax with me now for about £5 just in case!

Or, take world cruise -- shipboard medical complimentary for the 180 days! We also have travel insurance -- but the shipboard coverage means we won't have to lay out our own $$$ and go through the hassle of filing a claim. The travel insurance will cover any shore-based medical we may need.

If we could afford to self-insure for the fare, we would have taken medical only insurance, but once having had to cancel a 24 day back-to-back just 2 days before the cruise, we take no chances. The trip insurance for the world cruise was more than we usually pay for a 14 day cruise...

The trip insurance for the world cruise was more than we usually pay for a 14 day cruise...

I would think it would be ..you are paying a lot more for the world cruise than a 14 day cruise

Unless you are getting a better deal than the rest

Or, take world cruise -- shipboard medical complimentary for the 180 days! We also have travel insurance -- but the shipboard coverage means we won't have to lay out our own $$$ and go through the hassle of filing a claim.

Wouldn't a visit or even two to a doctor, even if medications are needed, cost just a little less than a 180 day world cruise (no matter how outrageous the medical charges are) :D :D

Just kidding you, Don

Edited by Paulchili

Wouldn't a visit or even two to a doctor, even if medications are needed, cost just a little less than a 180 day world cruise (no matter how outrageous the medical charges are) :D :D

Just kidding you, Don

Yeah, I know you are, Paul. But, there are times I ask the same question of myself. If I hadn't gotten a new RV out of the deal in a compromise with Betsy, I might have pujt my foot down. Of course, that doubled the price of the cruise ;).

Yeah, I know you are, Paul. But, there are times I ask the same question of myself. If I hadn't gotten a new RV out of the deal in a compromise with Betsy, I might have pujt my foot down. Of course, that doubled the price of the cruise ;).

Next time we cruise together you'll have to share your negotiating & compromising technique and skills :D It seems to work well for you.

We take basic OTC medication with us if you are prone to certain problems take what you might need with you[/quote

Travel insurance??? If you pay for your fare with a credit card that offers it... why. Medical...I have Kaiser, HMO, Needed to be in the ships hospital IV the works... ( which was as advanced as any US hospital..andmore) spent 10 days there....ran up a bill over $7000.00. and it began in Easter Island all the way to NY city. !!! My insurance paid the bill 100% no deductible.

They further cover me any where in the friggen world 100% coverage. No extra charge, fee, .

You might want to checkout what insurance you have....might be worth it. Why pay for what you already can get for 1 premimum......

For me I see no point in paying extra for something I already have given to me!!

Kaiser ain't available everywhere; nothing like that available to Florida residents.

You might checkout Blue Cross PPO. While it does not cover the ship doctor it does cover in network hospital and doctors worldwide. I have this though work and was surprised at the coverage. I still buy travel insurance. - the medical cost is negligible as you are really paying for the trip cancelation.

We take basic OTC medication with us if you are prone to certain problems take what you might need with you[/quote

Travel insurance??? If you pay for your fare with a credit card that offers it... why. Medical...I have Kaiser, HMO, Needed to be in the ships hospital IV the works... ( which was as advanced as any US hospital..andmore) spent 10 days there....ran up a bill over $7000.00. and it began in Easter Island all the way to NY city. !!! My insurance paid the bill 100% no deductible.

They further cover me any where in the friggen world 100% coverage. No extra charge, fee, .

You might want to checkout what insurance you have....might be worth it. Why pay for what you already can get for 1 premimum......

For me I see no point in paying extra for something I already have given to me!!

Credit card insurance and Oceania insurance do not cover pre-existing conditions. So your solution will work for some, but not others.

I read the link 3 times and I could not see any mention that they were reimbursed by their insurance and nothing in the comments The father that was on the ship made a recommendation for everyone to make sure that they got travel insurance though. Is it just me?

Edited by Christine Frances

Are you able to share where you purchase such insurance? I'm looking for the same type of coverage.

I use a site called square mouth trip insurance. They sell many brands.

I purchase my trip insurance from Tripinsurancestore.com. They pare down the number of options to the ones they have analyzed thoroughly and recommend. I find that helpful, as they still offer several options, yet don't overwhelm with choices and they are happy to explain rationale for suggested policies/companies and the pros and cons of each. Key things I look for are requirements (such as policy purchase date) to have preexisting conditions clause waived, reasonable amount of air evacuation coverage (at least $100,000), whether medical coverage is primary or secondary to whatever health insurance you already have and, of course, price.

and pre--existing could be an earache that my husband once got a month before the cruise. Personally I think that travel insurance is well worth it, and neither of us has any medical conditions. By reading this board I have found the Chase Preferred does cover $10,000 EACH per cruise. That covers us on some cruises, but because we get the Owners Suite or comparable it does not cover most of them. Because we are in the 75 year old range, travel insurance is high. Personally, and it is my opinion only, I think that travel insurance is well worth it and just because my DH gets seasick. It more frequently than not requires a doctors visit!

I read the link 3 times and I could not see any mention that they were reimbursed by their insurance and nothing in the comments The father that was on the ship made a recommendation for everyone to make sure that they got travel insurance though. Is it just me?

must be you ;)

Norman Stanton discdisc

19h ago

0 1

Not so daft. The story failed to mention we did actually have travel insurance (as we always do) ... and furthermore to their credit the insurers paid up, including for the excursions we missed!

Edited by LHT28

and pre--existing could be an earache that my husband once got a month before the cruise. Personally I think that travel insurance is well worth it, and neither of us has any medical conditions. By reading this board I have found the Chase Preferred does cover $10,000 EACH per cruise. That covers us on some cruises, but because we get the Owners Suite or comparable it does not cover most of them. Because we are in the 75 year old range, travel insurance is high. Personally, and it is my opinion only, I think that travel insurance is well worth it and just because my DH gets seasick. It more frequently than not requires a doctors visit!

The Chase card insurance is only for cancellation...and does have some pre-existing condition "gotchas". It does not cover medical expenses ....inside or outside the U.S. If your primary medical insurer does not cover outside the U.S., it's a good idea to make sure you have some travel medical insurance.

Kaiser ain't available everywhere; nothing like that available to Florida residents.

AND...that's one reason that when I retired I only considered living in an area Kaiser served....... Like Knee replacements....are $15.00 ( but that's per knee if not done together .and in my retirement I negotiated for life time Kaiser payment/ premium for my wife and I....

Seriously, for any folks who travel, AND the ability to get Kaiser grab it... While Medicare wont pay out of the country, Kaiser as a supplement will.

Just a heads up

A comment to Caroldoll re the $10,000 cc coverage... Hey if you have the dough to afford an Owners Suite then you probably can self insure no problem.