Jewel of the Seas Pacific Northwest Review

Somewhere along the way as I was walking around deck five, I saw this ship sailing fairly close to us. It was such an eery sight in the mist. I believe it was a Celebrity ship.

18938192960_09b36427ab_c.jpg

We arrived in my favorite city early the final morning.

18938574910_f3f36b000a_c.jpg

18938191850_1ec5f2e113_c.jpg

19099744986_677091b50c_c.jpg

It was the usual scramble trying to disembark with many passengers trying to get ahead of the others.

18938298728_cd95fafb82_c.jpg

We took the long taxi ride to Vancouver Airport. I wish I could have spent a few days here but we were booked on the Oasis the following week and had to go straight home (you know, mow the grass, pay the bills, do laundry, etc.).

And back home we fly

18938682828_eecc05db3e_c.jpg

Wrap-up:

I did not notice very many children on this sailing and we certainly did not encounter any that misbehaved.

I loved this itinerary and the Jewel and would not hesitate to do it again. Yes, it rained and it was cold and there were some dining hiccups, but that's life. If that's the worst I ever encounter, I'm a lucky duck. I feel fortunate to cruise a lot and will enjoy life while I can!!

Thanks for posting your review and especially your fantastic pictures. We sailed with you and share your enthusiasm for Jewel and this particular cruise. We sailed Jewel many times when she was sailing to and from Boston so it was great to see so many staff members from our earlier cruises. It was especially wonderful to see Mariya in her new role as Loyalty Ambassador. We liked John and Katarina and though they did a good job of mixing with the passengers.

Thanks again for reminding us about our great time on Jewel.

Miscellaneous Jewel photos:

Teensy Weensy concierge lounge. Never could get a seat there in the evening so we just got our drinks that were pre-loaded on our Sea Pass at the bars.

We were on this cruise, too, and had no trouble finding seats after 5:30 or 6:00. But we had a ton of fun in the overflow Diamond Event in the Vortex, too.:D

Thanks for your review and pictures - it was nice taking a walk down Memory Lane!:)

Great review -- we were also on this sailing, plus the 2 prior -- thanks for posting all the great photos! :) I enjoy seeing other reviews of cruises we have been on, it's always a different perspective. BTW, where did the delicious-looking chocolate truffle dessert come from?

I had to laugh when I saw your photos taken at Horton Plaza. Years ago, I was told by security I could not take any photos of, or in, the mall. Period. :eek: :)

If I recall correctly, a lot of crew signed off on May 16. Up until then we had very good service in the MDR. The first night of the Coastal cruise, May 16, we sat for a very long time before asking for menus. A long time after that, an assistant waiter from our first sailing (April 25) took our order and served us. Things did get better on subsequent nights.

I agree with you when you said (paraphrasing), if that's the worst thing that happens, then we are still truly fortunate to do what we do.

Thanks again, and happy sailing!

Edited by travelgoddess1

Thanks for posting your review and especially your fantastic pictures. We sailed with you and share your enthusiasm for Jewel and this particular cruise. We sailed Jewel many times when she was sailing to and from Boston so it was great to see so many staff members from our earlier cruises. It was especially wonderful to see Mariya in her new role as Loyalty Ambassador. We liked John and Katarina and though they did a good job of mixing with the passengers.

Thanks again for reminding us about our great time on Jewel.

It was my pleasure and thanks!

I am so glad you were able to go to Butchart Gardens and the pictures are great. We were also on the cruise but my wife sprained her neck the day before so we were unable to go on that excursion.

Oh that's too bad. I hope you get to see it one day.

Thank you for posting this review and all the fabulous photos. I feel like I am there with you on this cruise! It gives me a wonderful glimpse of what I will enjoy on our Oct. cruise! Thank you..

You are quite welcome. You are sure to have a great cruise!

Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures and introduction to Miss Jewel. I'm on her for the Panama Canal cruises and am looking forward to exploring the ship and all her beauty. :D

My pleasure. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise. The Panama Canal cruise is one of my favorites!

We were on this cruise, too, and had no trouble finding seats after 5:30 or 6:00. But we had a ton of fun in the overflow Diamond Event in the Vortex, too.:D

Thanks for your review and pictures - it was nice taking a walk down Memory Lane!:)

We probably didn't check back after finding it full a couple times. Yes, we went to Vortex once (I had forgotten about that). It was a great cruise!

Great review -- we were also on this sailing, plus the 2 prior -- thanks for posting all the great photos! :) I enjoy seeing other reviews of cruises we have been on, it's always a different perspective. BTW, where did the delicious-looking chocolate truffle dessert come from?

I had to laugh when I saw your photos taken at Horton Plaza. Years ago, I was told by security I could not take any photos of, or in, the mall. Period. :eek: :)

If I recall correctly, a lot of crew signed off on May 16. Up until then we had very good service in the MDR. The first night of the Coastal cruise, May 16, we sat for a very long time before asking for menus. A long time after that, an assistant waiter from our first sailing (April 25) took our order and served us. Things did get better on subsequent nights.

I agree with you when you said (paraphrasing), if that's the worst thing that happens, then we are still truly fortunate to do what we do.

Thanks again, and happy sailing!

You are welcome. Funny about Horton Plaza. There was no security out in the rain!!

I'm thinking maybe the dessert was in the MDR. DH got it and I may have the name wrong - perhaps Chocolate Sensation or similar?

We were to depart San Francisco I believe around 5 p.m. but there was an issue with one of the engines which delayed our departure until about 2 a.m. the next morning. This in turn delayed our arrival in Victoria until 4 or 5 p.m. Those of us with the Butchart Gardens excursion booked could either cancel or be rescheduled to 6 p.m. We opted to take the excursion even though it did not give us much time in the gardens and daylight was fading quickly as we neared the end. It was a fairly long bus ride there but we were rewarded with beautiful gardens.

19100126866_0063e89365_c.jpg

19021895209_18e8e93f5f_c.jpg

19020162980_793a7b2e3d_c.jpg

19181702266_3a214c3c07_c.jpg

Quarry Transformed

18585523404_a508d8df1f_c.jpg

18587465713_7ae22b3479_c.jpg

Enjoying your review --- love your pictures - especially these ones! I LOVE Victoria and the Gardens. (I got on the Jewel in Vancouver they day you disembarked -- I too wish I could sail one more time on her before the loss of the Seaview Cafe).

Self-leveling Pool Tables

19240333081_57d122297c_c.jpg

C&A Lounge

13414687444_d0801dccf6_c.jpg

Chocolate Truffle

13414313884_83a8f243d0_c.jpg

Yummy watermelon-raspberry soup

13414320224_d4d2a47c98_c.jpg

Your pictures are great thanks for the tour of the ship. Only now I wish ours would come sooner. Why is it the last few months before you cruise seem to drag.

Enjoying your review --- love your pictures - especially these ones! I LOVE Victoria and the Gardens. (I got on the Jewel in Vancouver they day you disembarked -- I too wish I could sail one more time on her before the loss of the Seaview Cafe).

:) Me Neither - nor his wife. Good to hear I'm not alone!

Thanks. I wanted to stay on Jewel and go on up to Alaska but of course they wouldn't let me as it is against the rules. :(

Your pictures are great thanks for the tour of the ship. Only now I wish ours would come sooner. Why is it the last few months before you cruise seem to drag.

Thanks. I know what you mean about the time dragging before your next cruise. Come on September!!

As myself and many others posted that your pictures are beautiful, what kind of camera did you use? Are some with a fantastic zoom?

Through out all our cruises, it seems like I could take some of the same pictures but always end up with someones head, off center, blurred by something in the foreground or out of focus! :eek:

As myself and many others posted that your pictures are beautiful, what kind of camera did you use? Are some with a fantastic zoom?

Through out all our cruises, it seems like I could take some of the same pictures but always end up with someones head, off center, blurred by something in the foreground or out of focus! :eek:

Most were taken with a little point and shoot, an older Canon PowerShot Elph 300HS with no special zoom lens. Some were taken with my better camera, a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55 lens. I didn't even get my big Nikon zoom lens out of the case this time.

most were taken with a little point and shoot, an older canon powershot elph 300hs with no special zoom lens. Some were taken with my better camera, a nikon d40 with the standard 18-55 lens. I didn't even get my big nikon zoom lens out of the case this time.

ty...:)

Loved your trip report! We will be on the Pacific Coastal 8 night in September in the opposite direction - Vancouver to LA with a SF overnight.

Absolutely loved your pictures of the gardens... hoping there are still some beautiful flowers when we are there :)