Port outfits in Europe

LParente

Just booked our first European cruise for next July. I've only experienced the Caribbean ports. How should I dress for excursions in Sicily, Naples, Rome, Pisa, Marseilles, and Palma de Mallorca? Feel free to post pics! Thanks!!

I was browsing thru pics yesterday and in July

Florence/Pisa I had an Esprit sundress on with thin straps,

In Rome a long Calvin Klein maxi sun dress....did a shorter dress the year before and had a long scarf in case it was too short for the Vatican "clothing police." It wasn't.

Venice was also a thin strap sundress...

I always make sure to have a thin sweater, long sleeve shirt

in order to be able to go into any churches on our way....

We had other Italian port stops, but lightweight fabrics were key to my comfort...

Bernadette

Be prepared for it to be hot. I choose to be comfortable rather than fashionable.

I wear full length tech-fabric travel pants like these http://www.rei.com/product/861360/rei-sahara-convertible-pants-womens, that keep me cool and wick away sweat, with a cotton v-neck short-sleeve tshirt in a bright colour so DH can spot me easily if we get separated in a crowd. Either very comfortable walking shoes that are light and cool, with Thorlo socks, or Merrell Agave sandals.

If you get the chance to walk up Mt Vesuvius make sure you wear shoes and socks, not sandals. The volcanic dust on the track is very fine and gets everywhere, and will cause any sandal straps to rub quite badly. In fact if you know you'll be walking for a while after that, take a spare pair of socks to change into after you come off Mt Vesuvius. Our Pompeii / Mt Vesuvius / Herculaneum day was the only time I got a blister in six weeks of European travel.

The ports you list provide a real variety of options -- what you wear will in part be dictated by what you decide to do on a given day.

As others have said, it will be very hot in July, so definitely take that into account.

If you plan to visit St. Peters Basilica in Rome (or any church, really, it's just that St. Peter's is "enforced"), be sure you wear something that covers your knees -- women and men -- and no bare shoulders. That mean something with at least a hint of a sleeve. If you prefer, take a wrap or a light shirt or cardi to "cover up" when you get there.

Other than that, it depends. I like to look a little more pulled together when walking around a major city like Rome. On the other hand, if you were to plan to go to Pompeii from Naples, the best plan is to wear lightweight comfortable clothes, sturdy walking shoes or walking sandals, and a hat.

When we were in Venice, it was enforced, Florence also.. In Padua a busty low shirt wearer was also turned away for St Anthony's. If any doubt, bring the lightest weight coverup. I had a thin silk ultra light weight shirt in a Baggie in the bottom of my very small bag

Avoid shorts in cities, it's considered beach/resort wear and you stick out as a foreigner, specially if you are not rail thin or older than 40 (that's me). You are better off with a skirt/dress or capris. Wearing something light with short sleeves protects you against the sun and lets you go into churches.

Shoes need to be comfy! Wear those cute strappy sandals on the ship, not on cobblestones, sand and for miles on hot pavement.

Ok, just to add about the shorts issue...in summer you will see many people in shorts everywhere. We just returned from a Med cruise this month and all of these ports were filled (even packed) with tourists wearing shorts.

If you are going on excursions to coastal areas in Italy, particularly Sicily where it is very warm in the summer, you will fit in just fine in shorts. Our local guide in Sicily was in shorts.

Don't worry about looking like a tourist. Europe in the summer is filled with tourists from all over the world.

It's going to be hot and humid in Rome. Almost no air conditioning except for the Capitoline Museum, where it's usually freezing. lol

Whatever you decide to wear make sure you have something to cover your shoulders and knees for the churches.

Ok, just to add about the shorts issue...in summer you will see many people in shorts everywhere. We just returned from a Med cruise this month and all of these ports were filled (even packed) with tourists wearing shorts.

If you are going on excursions to coastal areas in Italy, particularly Sicily where it is very warm in the summer, you will fit in just fine in shorts. Our local guide in Sicily was in shorts.

Don't worry about looking like a tourist. Europe in the summer is filled with tourists from all over the world.

Exactly. Why do people worry so much about wearing shorts and looking like a tourist? You ARE a tourist, so who cares if you look like one?! And before someone says that looking like a tourist makes you ripe for being pick pocketed, guess what? Whether you are dressed like a tourist or not, it will only take a thief about 2 seconds to determine that you are indeed a tourist. You're speaking English (or German or Japanese or anything BUT the native language), you are visiting tourist sites, you are probably carrying a camera and/or a map, you are looking around trying to get your bearings after getting off the bus or coming up off the subway, you've got your spouse/family/friends with you in the middle of the day, etc. With all that going on, it's kind of hard to not be pegged for a tourist, so if shorts are more comfortable, go ahead and wear them because lots of other people will be too.

Exactly. Why do people worry so much about wearing shorts and looking like a tourist? You ARE a tourist, so who cares if you look like one?! And before someone says that looking like a tourist makes you ripe for being pick pocketed, guess what? Whether you are dressed like a tourist or not, it will only take a thief about 2 seconds to determine that you are indeed a tourist. You're speaking English (or German or Japanese or anything BUT the native language), you are visiting tourist sites, you are probably carrying a camera and/or a map, you are looking around trying to get your bearings after getting off the bus or coming up off the subway, you've got your spouse/family/friends with you in the middle of the day, etc. With all that going on, it's kind of hard to not be pegged for a tourist, so if shorts are more comfortable, go ahead and wear them because lots of other people will be too.

I'm not fully in agreement that anyone can spot a "tourist" who is trying to fit in. We don't all hang around in hordes, carry a map and/or camera, and when I'm walking around solo, no one can tell what my language might be....

That aside, I think there are other good reasons besides avoidance of pickpockets for dressing appropriately for the location one is visiting. I'm all for shorts and resort wear when visiting a Caribbean island or, for example Santorini. I think it's not so appropriate in Rome or Paris or Tokyo. In my book, seeing hordes of others doing it does not equate to making it the right thing to do (and I can still hear my parents saying the same thing about practically everything I tried using that argument to support....:p).

It doesn't particularly bother me if folks want to wear shorts (as long as they are not trying to enter a church or somewhere else where it is clearly inappropriate). But I don't think the OP is "worried" about it; sounds like she is having fun thinking and planning what to take.

Exactly! The planning of the little details is what keeps the excitement going until the cruise. In general, I tend to wear comfy dresses in port. They tend not to become too right after a few days of vacation eating the way shorts tend to! Lol. I'm enjoying all of the advice.

I'm not fully in agreement that anyone can spot a "tourist" who is trying to fit in. We don't all hang around in hordes, carry a map and/or camera, and when I'm walking around solo, no one can tell what my language might be....

That's great. But the majority of cruise passengers DO carry a map and/or a camera (or a backpack, or a totebag sporting the name of the cruise line etc.), and DON'T walk around solo as they tend to be with a spouse, family or friends, and when with others they DO generally speak to each other and converse in their native language. I live in a tourist town and even though most of the people who visit speak English, I promise you that if I went to the historic/touristy area downtown I could discern tourists from locals and be correct the majority of the time. Cheers!

Edited by waterbug123

That aside, I think there are other good reasons besides avoidance of pickpockets for dressing appropriately for the location one is visiting. I'm all for shorts and resort wear when visiting a Caribbean island or, for example Santorini. I think it's not so appropriate in Rome or Paris or Tokyo. In my book, seeing hordes of others doing it does not equate to making it the right thing to do (and I can still hear my parents saying the same thing about practically everything I tried using that argument to support....:p).

It doesn't particularly bother me if folks want to wear shorts (as long as they are not trying to enter a church or somewhere else where it is clearly inappropriate). But I don't think the OP is "worried" about it; sounds like she is having fun thinking and planning what to take.

Yes…

There are "toorists" and there are "tourists". Part of the common sense that you hear/read to protect yourself from pickpockets: do not carry your camera around your neck, do not stop and look at your map out in the open, dress so you don't stand out.

I cruise and travel solo - I do not like large excursions where I am just another sheeple being herded by someone. But I do visit some of the tourist sites by myself. I have been asked questions in many different languages by people thinking I was maybe a citizen of that country and not a toorist from the USA. I walk like I know where I am going, even if I don't; I'll duck into a store or a bank to look at my map (or look at my tablet or phone, like thousands of locals do while walking from place to place).

Wear what you want. But, like cruisemom42 (my virtual sister), I prefer to dress more "put together"; I am perfectly comfortable in whatever I wear, whatever the weather. I save the shorts/Tshirts/sundresses for the beach.

I mostly wear flowy, lightweight skirts in cities such as Rome, Florence, Venice, Madrid, Athens etc......... just as cool as lightweight pants but I feel more put together. A short sleeve jersey and the most comfortable walking shoes I can fine....... :)

Just booked our first European cruise for next July. I've only experienced the Caribbean ports. How should I dress for excursions in Sicily, Naples, Rome, Pisa, Marseilles, and Palma de Mallorca? Feel free to post pics! Thanks!!

Other than the churches where you should wear something to cover your shoulder and something to cover your legs such as a long skirt or capris dress as you would knowing that most ports will be hot and humid. Shorts are perfectly fine as is are sleeveless tops.

Keith

Actually, not a great comparison as the original poster will find it much hotter in these ports than in places such as NYC or London.

Casual is very much fine.

Many people will be in shorts and short sleeve and sleeveless shirts other than going inside a church.

Keith

I have found that the more skin you expose to the sun the hotter you are. That's why I stay away from tank tops and shorts. I usually wear skirts/dresses or loose fitting cotton or linen slacks that don't cling and tops that cover my shoulders. I also carry a travel umbrella in my bag (along with water) in case the sun gets too hot. The umbrella was a lifesaver at Ephesus:eek: It was ripping there when we went.

Actually, not a great comparison as the original poster will find it much hotter in these ports than in places such as NYC or London.

Casual is very much fine.

Many people will be in shorts and short sleeve and sleeveless shirts other than going inside a church.

Keith

Paris can be screechingly hot in the summer, Rome is screechingly hot in the summer. NYC (Manhattan - those skyscrapers make streets into convection ovens!) is screechingly hot in summer. Bozeman can be screechingly hot in the summer. I can still find hot-weather clothing that I will feel "put together" for the location in and still be cool. I've never understood the thinking that, when it is hot, one must wear spaghetti strapped sundresses or tank tops and mid-thigh shorts everywhere in order to be comfy.

Paris can be screechingly hot in the summer, Rome is screechingly hot in the summer. NYC (Manhattan - those skyscrapers make streets into convection ovens!) is screechingly hot in summer. Bozeman can be screechingly hot in the summer. I can still find hot-weather clothing that I will feel "put together" for the location in and still be cool. I've never understood the thinking that, when it is hot, one must wear spaghetti strapped sundresses or tank tops and mid-thigh shorts everywhere in order to be comfy.

What I was trying to point out is that it is very casual in all of these ports. Most are not large cities like Paris, London or New York other than Rome.

I have traveled extensively to Italy and was there most recently as part of a very long voyage and even in late May and early June other than if it was a cool day people were in casual clothing whether that was shorts or capris (women) and a mixture of sleeveless shirts, sports shirt etc. Actually there were very few people wearing skirts and the like. After all many were tourists and not dressed for business.

In the end, like most things everyone can decide for themselves but in the heat of the summer (even in Paris when it can get very hot) people dress more and more casual with each passing year.

Keith

What I was trying to point out is that it is very casual in all of these ports. Most are not large cities like Paris, London or New York other than Rome.

I have traveled extensively to Italy and was there most recently as part of a very long voyage and even in late May and early June other than if it was a cool day people were in casual clothing whether that was shorts or capris (women) and a mixture of sleeveless shirts, sports shirt etc. Actually there were very few people wearing skirts and the like. After all many were tourists and not dressed for business.

In the end, like most things everyone can decide for themselves but in the heat of the summer (even in Paris when it can get very hot) people dress more and more casual with each passing year.

Keith

Yes, I agree that it is much more casual these days in the Med (and maybe everywhere). I noticed this on our trip last month. I've always been one of the Don't-Wear-Shorts-In-Europe chorus but at the last minute, threw in a pair of walking shorts--and so glad I did. While I did not wear shorts in Rome or Aix, shorts were perfect in the more casual cities and towns, Barcelona (where absolutely anything goes), Cinque Terre, Portofino, Valletta, Cefalu, and it was very, very hot everywhere. I did wear a dress, skirt/top, linen pants in Rome and Aix, but was in the minority in tourist areas. And, casual dress is not just on Americans.The many tourists from other European countries were very casually dressed as well. Heck, even the mannequins in nice stores in Rome were modeling nice shorts outfits.

Edited by Chloe1500

Yes, I agree that it is much more casual these days in the Med (and maybe everywhere). I noticed this on our trip last month. I've always been one of the Don't-Wear-Shorts-In-Europe chorus but at the last minute, threw in a pair of walking shorts--and so glad I did. While I did not wear shorts in Rome or Aix, shorts were perfect in the more casual cities and towns, Barcelona (where absolutely anything goes), Cinque Terre, Portofino, Valletta, Cefalu, and it was very, very hot everywhere. I did wear a dress, skirt/top, linen pants in Rome and Aix, but was in the minority in tourist areas. And, casual dress is not just on Americans.The many tourists from other European countries were very casually dressed as well. Heck, even the mannequins in nice stores in Rome were modeling nice shorts outfits.

Oh, don't get me started on what other tourists from European countries wear…There were some Russian women in short-shorts in Egypt that would have been banned on Brazilian beaches :eek: (yes, I knew they were Russians by their speech). I did see this Spring when visiting Rome that walking-length shorts were in some of the better women's stores. Tourist areas in Rome are also in the area of governmental offices - wander around the area between Trevi-Pantheon-Piazza Navona, so you will see a mix of well-dressed and overly casual clothed people.

I will continue to pack and dress for what I feel is appropriate for both me and my location. Feel free do to so yourself. <written as I'm sitting in my house in the sweltering heatwave with my A/C broken, wearing a sleeveless polo shirt and shorts with a 7" inseam ;) >