Hot dog eating competition?

smellycruzer

I just watched the Nathan's Hot Dog Contest in my hotel room, getting ready to board the Crown for the inside passage. It made me wonder, has any Princess ship ever had a hot dog eating contest on the 4th of July? I've sailed a few times on the 4th but can't remember such a thing. Seems like it would be a fun at sea day activity. I'm guessing I could eat about 20 dogs in 10 minutes, a far cry from the 62 of this year's winner!

After watching some people hit the Horizon Court buffet, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could eat 30 dogs!!!

Anyone else sailing the Crown today want to organize an unofficial competition this evening? :D:D:D

Edited by smellycruzer

Anyone that could eat two of the super-sized Princess hot dogs served at the grill would be the champ.

Absolutely! I try to make it a practice to get at least one hot dog on a cruise. The jumbo princess dogs are so good! (I'm not entering the contest, though.):)

I love the spirit of your question, especially on this, our country's birthday. I'm thinking maybe on cruises that, say, originate in the United States, that would be an extremely appropriate and fun event to see and wouldn't believe there'd be any problem once all parties sign waivers of liability. I mean once a year - a hot dog eating contest, how American is that?

BTW, I am probably good for, I dunno 5 hot dogs in 10 minutes, only because that's what I may eat normally at the poolside grill. Kidding. Anyway, good for you for proposing this 4th of July tribute on your ship!

eating-hot-dog.gif

Once when passing thru Singapore I did the Breakfast with the Orangutans at the zoo.

I told the shore excursion lady I was doing a survey to compare their eating habits with those of the passengers in the Horizon Court.

I said my money was on the Orangatans having better eating behaviour.

She didn't really know what to say; but I have the distinct impression she wanted to burst out laughing in agreement.

Why stop with just a hot-dog eating contest? I say there should be "Man vs Food" style offerings in each specialty restaurant: if you can finish three Porterhouse steaks at Crown Grill in one hour they're on the house. Plus a t-shirt and your picture in the Patter.

...but seriously folks, none of us would be happy when they have to shut down the pool deck for sanitization for the remainder of the day and night after such a contest. Not to mention diverting the ship for a medical evacuation of someone with a ruptured stomach from forcing down not even a quarter of what the "professional eaters" inhale at Nathan's each July 4. So maybe the suggestion of an apple pie eating contest would actually be more workable...make mine a la mode!

Sounds like a Carnival Cruise event to me.

I can eat one Princess dog (with fries).

Terry

My thoughts exactly. I don't think an overheating/vomiting contest is anything I want to see on a Princess ship, not to mention the obscene waste of food.

Why stop with just a hot-dog eating contest? I say there should be "Man vs Food" style offerings in each specialty restaurant: if you can finish three Porterhouse steaks at Crown Grill in one hour they're on the house. Plus a t-shirt and your picture in the Patter.

I had a porterhouse in crown grill on ruby that was so bad,

I could only eat the filet portion. I just asked them to

take it away, and they removed my cover charge. I guess

they couldn't figure out which drinks were mine, so they

removed all the drinks.

They would have to call it 'FEAR FACTOR'.

Edited by pablo222

I just watched the Nathan's Hot Dog Contest in my hotel room, getting ready to board the Crown for the inside passage. It made me wonder, has any Princess ship ever had a hot dog eating contest on the 4th of July? I've sailed a few times on the 4th but can't remember such a thing. Seems like it would be a fun at sea day activity. I'm guessing I could eat about 20 dogs in 10 minutes, a far cry from the 62 of this year's winner!

After watching some people hit the Horizon Court buffet, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could eat 30 dogs!!!

Anyone else sailing the Crown today want to organize an unofficial competition this evening? :D:D:D

Not a very good idea.

Somehow, I think that having a contest where people try to eat too much and then vomit all over the deck would be frowned upon... :p:eek::D

I thought that was most meals in the buffet?:eek::eek:

Hi All

Not a Princess event,

however many of us will have seen folks trying to clear the buffet in one sitting,

or drinking the bar dry until they pass out,

Have even seen folks do the either Bellini menu in a day

yours Shogun

Hi All

Not a Princess event,

however many of us will have seen folks trying to clear the buffet in one sitting,

or drinking the bar dry until they pass out,

Have even seen folks do the either Bellini menu in a day

yours Shogun

Now I am gong to show my ignorance, what is the "Bellini menu".

Yeah! Great way to get acquainted with the Medical Centre!

Edited by hansi

God bless these folks. Cruise is expensive and time is tough. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to recoup his money.

Personally I would group this in the Carnival games category. Or for a county fair. Princess ships tend to have a full slate of activities that fit the bill already.

They are more likely to have an EXCITING round of dignified Princess Hotdog Trivia!!