Being invited to the Captain's/Officers' Table

Blue Lagoon

Has anyone ever gotten an invite while in a lowly Celebrity Suite on an M class? Our 15 day Panama Canal cruise will have 3 formal nights but I don't know if those precious invites trickle that far down the chain. It would be our first cruise as Elite so I guess a girl can dream big huh?! :)

We sailed in a S2 once, (only time in a suite). When the butler asked what he could do for us, I asked if there was any possibility to get an invite to the captain's table. He asked if we brought a tux, then said he would see what he could do. He succeeded.

For those who don't have a butler, I would advise the following strategy: Go to the first captain's club event. Meet the captain's club host. Mention a couple of the things that you like about sailing with Celebrity. Greet the CC host whenever you see him/her on board. After a couple positive interactions, mention that you have never had the opportunity to dine at the Captain's table, and if there is an opening, you would love to fill in. One time we got a call just 2 hours before dinner asking if we would like to join the table. Of course we said yes and thanked the CC hostess for thinking of us.:D

Has anyone ever gotten an invite while in a lowly Celebrity Suite on an M class? Our 15 day Panama Canal cruise will have 3 formal nights but I don't know if those precious invites trickle that far down the chain. It would be our first cruise as Elite so I guess a girl can dream big huh?! :)

Jane, a lowly Suite:eek:?.....I have never booked a suite and have been

invited several times over the years. So in my opinion, that is not a

"huge factor"......not saying it doesn't matter at all, it probably does....

I have been seated with folks who had the Penthouse before.....did they

know I only had a "regular ole balcony"......or even a "lowly oceanview"?

I doubt it. But I don't think the Capt's Club Hostess cared what cabin

category I was in.......

Jane, a lowly Suite:eek:?.....I have never booked a suite and have been

invited several times over the years. So in my opinion, that is not a

"huge factor"......not saying it doesn't matter at all, it probably does....

I have been seated with folks who had the Penthouse before.....did they

know I only had a "regular ole balcony"......or even a "lowly oceanview"?

I doubt it. But I don't think the Capt's Club Hostess cared what cabin

category I was in.......

Sorry :o - I had meant to insert a ;) face behind that comment as it was meant to belie the fact that most people say you'll get invited in a Royal or Penthouse - which I will never see. Didn't mean to offend.:D

I would never ask the Butler! As a matter of fact I've read here on CC that it is considered in poor taste to ask to be invited period.

Hi Jane, as I mentioned earlier, we had our first Captain's Table invitation, on our recent Summit Cruise -- we were in a Celebrity Suite. Don't know how it works on other ships, but our Michael's Club Hostess was very involved in putting together the Captains Table Guest list. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

We were invited for the first and only time earlier this year. We were in a CS so were in Michael's Club.

The second morning of the cruise when I went to Michael’s for some tea, Maritza (the MC hostess) asked “Are you going tonight?” I was totally puzzled until she told me that she had asked my husband the night before if we wanted to dine at the Captain’s Table that night for formal night (he hadn’t realized that this was a big deal and forgot to mention it to me ). My first thought was to be intimidated – we are small town people and I tend to be shy around people I don’t know. When I talked about my fears with Maritza, she said that we should just be ourselves and we would have a lot of fun. She said she had been asked to choose someone (2 people) to go from Michael's and she chose us because we were just the sort of people they wanted to have - "enthusiastic, real people" or something like that. Since we didn't know if we would ever be invited again, we accepted.

She was right – it was a memorable experience and I even held my own with the First Engineer (whom I was seated next to, to my dismay) with a fascinating discussion about azipods - my husband was so jealous as he wanted to sit next to him - he started leaning past me to have a conversation about what type of lubricants the ship used. :)

The one thing Maritza didn’t tell me about was the never ending wine supply. Every time I took 2 sips of wine, someone would fill my glass (there were 2 people behind us whose only job was to keep the glasses full). In the end, I have no idea how much wine I had, but by the conclusion of the evening I certainly was not shy! We received a nice memento of the night – a folder with the menus with our names engraved on them, a seating chart, name place cards and a very nice picture of our table from above.

It was in the MDR with similar food as being served to all. The Chief Engineer made recommendations for ordering. The other people at the table were a mix - a couple who were a bit ostentatious, a very down to earth couple and a mother-daughter duo who were very spirited and a lot of fun, so all types.

A memorable night!

Me neither. If I got invited I'd like to think it was because I was such a great guy rather than having to told them I was;)

Phil

LOL:D:);)....and you are Phil!

I do agree with you though......I would never ask to be invited either.

Sorry :o - I had meant to insert a ;) face behind that comment as it was meant to belie the fact that most people say you'll get invited in a Royal or Penthouse - which I will never see. Didn't mean to offend.:D

OK:D..thanks:)

Personally, I would never ask anyone to be invited to the Captain's Table.

I would feel uncomfortable asking a Butler. He might feel bad if he can`t make it happen.

Sorry folks.:o I have been known to be rude before, and probably will again.

In my defense, I think a lot depends on HOW you ask. I think an honest question posed in a delightful manner is much more effective than hinting. IMHO

We were invited for the first and only time earlier this year. We were in a CS so were in Michael's Club.

The second morning of the cruise when I went to Michael’s for some tea, Maritza (the MC hostess) asked “Are you going tonight?” I was totally puzzled until she told me that she had asked my husband the night before if we wanted to dine at the Captain’s Table that night for formal night (he hadn’t realized that this was a big deal and forgot to mention it to me ). My first thought was to be intimidated – we are small town people and I tend to be shy around people I don’t know. When I talked about my fears with Maritza, she said that we should just be ourselves and we would have a lot of fun. She said she had been asked to choose someone (2 people) to go from Michael's and she chose us because we were just the sort of people they wanted to have - "enthusiastic, real people" or something like that. Since we didn't know if we would ever be invited again, we accepted.

She was right – it was a memorable experience and I even held my own with the First Engineer (whom I was seated next to, to my dismay) with a fascinating discussion about azipods - my husband was so jealous as he wanted to sit next to him - he started leaning past me to have a conversation about what type of lubricants the ship used. :)

The one thing Maritza didn’t tell me about was the never ending wine supply. Every time I took 2 sips of wine, someone would fill my glass (there were 2 people behind us whose only job was to keep the glasses full). In the end, I have no idea how much wine I had, but by the conclusion of the evening I certainly was not shy! We received a nice memento of the night – a folder with the menus with our names engraved on them, a seating chart, name place cards and a very nice picture of our table from above.

It was in the MDR with similar food as being served to all. The Chief Engineer made recommendations for ordering. The other people at the table were a mix - a couple who were a bit ostentatious, a very down to earth couple and a mother-daughter duo who were very spirited and a lot of fun, so all types.

A memorable night!

Great story.:D

Sorry folks.:o I have been known to be rude before, and probably will again.

In my defense, I think a lot depends on HOW you ask. I think an honest question posed in a delightful manner is much more effective than hinting. IMHO

I would never ask about being invited to the Captain's table or anything like that.

However, I agree with what you say about is really about how you ask than what you ask. I do ask often about getting upgrades on planes and have been rather successful in getting some.:D

I would never ask about being invited to the Captain's table or anything like that.

However, I agree with what you say about is really about how you ask than what you ask. I do ask often about getting upgrades on planes and have been rather successful in getting some.:D

Hi Mic:) You aren't really comparing asking for an upgrade to asking

to be invited to dine at the Captain's table, are you?:confused:........

In nearly fifty cruises, almost all on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, we have never been invited to the Captain's Table. (Sigh):o

We do mostly sail on the biggest ships and I think that lowers one's chances considerably of getting that coveted invitation. We would never ask to be invited and I have no idea what person to ask even if we did have the gumption to ask.

I've given up on the idea that we will ever be invited and I guess that is just as well. It would be an honor, but I suppose some folks want it more, so let them have it. We still have a fabulous time cruising.

Very interesting to see how others got invited. Our Captain's Club hostess told us she didn't know why we were chosen. (She said she guessed it was because we were all good looking! ;) ) Anyway, that tells me she didn't pick. At least this time.

One woman told us she knew how she was picked- she was wandering around the main dining room looking for her mom at breakfast when the waiter asked if she would like to eat at the Captain's table. She said Oh sure, and didn't realize he was serious. So somehow a waiter got to pick them. For us and the other family it was our Greek names, I'm sure. We were only in a balcony room (which we thought was totally amazing!!) But I never did find out about the other couple.

While we were dining. A man, maybe late 20's came by and asked how he could get roses at his table. The captain said "well I guess you'd have to eat here". And he said "Like that's going to happen". Later he came by again and said it was a young lady's birthday and could he have a rose from the centerpiece on the table. He said it would be from him and the captain. The captain gave him a rose and a business card to give to her.

Birdie: You know you were invited because of the name. Run with it. (No one is likely to change their last name to get a Captain's Table.) And this comes from someone with the last name of "Chandris".:D

Oh I know. Just wondering how people generally got picked and who does the picking. Like the woman who was invited by the waiter. It sounded like they ate every meal in the MDR and got to know their waiter very well.

Just seems like anything is possible.

Just seems like anything is possible.

On my fiji cruise the boat could take around 120 but there were only 30 odd of us on board. So the first formal evening the captain instructed all officers to be present and they were spread amongst the tables so all dined with an officer that evening.

I felt so special ;)

But seriously all the occasion I have dined with the captain or another ships officer have all been excellent.

Birdie: You know you were invited because of the name. Run with it. (No one is likely to change their last name to get a Captain's Table.) And this comes from someone with the last name of "Chandris".:D

yeah, sure, I believe you.:rolleyes: