Viking River Cruise – Our Story Gets Worse - Don't Do Business with Them

robert lockwood

I would guess that everyone was communicating and anniversary man did not have the vocabulary definitions correct.

I found out that I could have specified my airline preference with Viking... I didn't so I will go on my least favorite airline.

However.....

In the pile of verbiage that was coming my way.... I did hear that I could modify my flights and have some add on stopovers for no extra charge.

I as really happy about that:D!

So was this Viking and big box's problem? Or just a newbie (me) not understanding things correctly, although at the time I thought I understood it all.:rolleyes:

I choose the take on some of the responsibility because I am new to this. Next time due to time, experience and cruise critic... I will ask better questions!:)

I plan to have a blast. As I go on my first river cruise.

You could be absolutely correct. Add this to the fact that big box travel agents are more order takers than anything, the information may have been lost by going through this order taker.

It sort of amazes me that people will do a once in a lifetime trip, or book a significantly priced trip and then use order takers to book the trip. There are travel professionals out there that can save heart ache, use them. If you find the right now, they will not only help you but save you money in the long term.

I have no doubt the OP is probably enjoying his trip right now.

Edited by Coral

You could be absolutely correct. Add this to the fact that big box travel agents are more order takers than anything, the information may have been lost by going through this order taker.

It sort of amazes me that people will do a once in a lifetime trip, or book a significantly priced trip and then use order takers to book the trip. There are travel professionals out there that can save heart ache, use them. If you find the right now, they will not only help you but save you money in the long term.

I have no doubt the OP is probably enjoying his trip right now.

Coral you are so absolutely right. It is puzzling that people booking a once in a lifetime trip will start looking to get it for as little as possible. Travel is expensive and the less you pay, the less you get! I agree that there are professional travel professionals, many of whom have college degrees in the subject, who can really help you AND save you money in the bargain. Or, you can do like me (nickname control freak) and do your research and book it directly with the vendor. It's unfortunate that I had a bad experience with a TA, so I deal with a company that only deals with me directly and it's been a very successful "marriage". ... but I would never advise anyone to use a big box travel service or any other consolidator type agent. There's too many people between you and the vendor.

Coral you are so absolutely right. It is puzzling that people booking a once in a lifetime trip will start looking to get it for as little as possible. Travel is expensive and the less you pay, the less you get! I agree that there are professional travel professionals, many of whom have college degrees in the subject, who can really help you AND save you money in the bargain. Or, you can do like me (nickname control freak) and do your research and book it directly with the vendor. It's unfortunate that I had a bad experience with a TA, so I deal with a company that only deals with me directly and it's been a very successful "marriage". ... but I would never advise anyone to use a big box travel service or any other consolidator type agent. There's too many people between you and the vendor.

We've heard plenty of stories on here about "real" travel agents not doing much, either. It can take a lot of work to find a good travel agent, and in the meantime you can come across a lot of bad ones.

I did my own research, knew what I wanted, and went with the big box TA because they offered more than I could get on my own. I think they're getting an undeserved bad rap here.

And maybe it's just the cruise line we're using, but I've called them twice with basic questions and they dealt with me directly--I was not referred back to the TA.

We've heard plenty of stories on here about "real" travel agents not doing much, either. It can take a lot of work to find a good travel agent, and in the meantime you can come across a lot of bad ones.

I did my own research, knew what I wanted, and went with the big box TA because they offered more than I could get on my own. I think they're getting an undeserved bad rap here.

And maybe it's just the cruise line we're using, but I've called them twice with basic questions and they dealt with me directly--I was not referred back to the TA.

Hiccups: I think you are probably the exception to the rule....key sentence in your post: "I did my own research, knew what I wanted and.." then you went to the big box TA. But you already knew what you wanted and what to expect it to cost....and that can make all the difference in the world. I'll bet you read everything you received with respect to your trip and reservations as well, right?

And of course there are good big box agents, unfortunately for OP, he apparently ran into one that wasn't that good.....and then had a delay in reading stuff until it was too late. Like I said, it happens, but only one time....but I still would not recommend it to everyone because with several companies involved, all with their own interests,

there's too much opportunity for something to go wrong and when it does, it's usually in the disaster category.

Edited by Hydrokitty

In the past I have used both an internet TA and a brick and mortar TA. The first time was a face to face experience when I knew very little and desired the help. After that first time I only used a TA for the benefits that they could/would pass on to me. And most of the time I booked my own air so that I had complete control. These included flights to Igauzu Falls from BA, which was just as easy to do as if I were booking flights in the US. I have found and booked foreign shorex trips with local guides from my computer. I know of one TA that I would not use again (but the $1500 OBC was nice) because he dropped the ball one time and he never should have. And order taker is not worth while to me at this time. Perhaps in the future if I can no longer surf the web, I will need help but I, too, like to be in control. Cruise Critic has been a wonderful source of information. People coming here after they have a problem instead of prior to booking are the ones learning on the fly to their dissatisfaction.

Thanks, saved me a lot of typing.

The aren't a whole lot of good, full service TAs around. And, they are difficult to find. A task that isn't eased by the rules (I fully understand why these rules exist) on this board.

Hiccups: I think you are probably the exception to the rule....key sentence in your post: "I did my own research, knew what I wanted and.." then you went to the big box TA. But you already knew what you wanted and what to expect it to cost....and that can make all the difference in the world. I'll bet you read everything you received with respect to your trip and reservations as well, right?

And of course there are good big box agents, unfortunately for OP, he apparently ran into one that wasn't that good.....and then had a delay in reading stuff until it was too late. Like I said, it happens, but only one time....but I still would not recommend it to everyone because with several companies involved, all with their own interests,

there's too much opportunity for something to go wrong and when it does, it's usually in the disaster category.

I used the same big box agent as the OP. My point is, you don't know WHAT kind of agent you're getting, whether it's a big box, online or local, until you deal with them.

Based on the OP's email from the TA, they requested the preferred flights from Viking. Somehow Viking didn't book them, so the first fault lies with Viking. Then the TA didn't catch it was the wrong flights, and neither did the OP. More than enough blame to go around on this one, I think!

Luckily this was not a "disaster" category issue, as upsetting as it was to the OP. I would have been upset, too, to have paid for something and not received it.

I used the same big box agent as the OP. My point is, you don't know WHAT kind of agent you're getting, whether it's a big box, online or local, until you deal with them.

Based on the OP's email from the TA, they requested the preferred flights from Viking. Somehow Viking didn't book them, so the first fault lies with Viking. Then the TA didn't catch it was the wrong flights, and neither did the OP. More than enough blame to go around on this one, I think!

Luckily this was not a "disaster" category issue, as upsetting as it was to the OP. I would have been upset, too, to have paid for something and not received it.

Viking then made a second error after they indicated that they would not change the flights, by not refunding the additional amount paid. If they had done that then the OP would not have had a case. The issue was no flight change and refusal to refund the amount paid for the flight change.

How bout the careless CS rep who did not bother to really listen and figure out Viking made a mistake and look for a way to fix it.... Instead they blew him off and allowed their customer to really get angry!

It's fixed now but only after this guy about had a coronary over the whole thing. Great Job Viking, NOT!

I guess Robert Lockwood didn't take his laptop with him. :eek:

Does anybody know when he will be back from his cruise? :confused:

Viking ships have free computers to use, I think he just wanted someone to hear his story, personally I wish he would give anupdate

Viking ships have free computers to use, I think he just wanted someone to hear his story, personally I wish he would give anupdate

Original post said 7/6 was day before his departure. I think he has a pre-trip, so cruise probably left around 7/8...he did post that Viking had change his return flight and he was happier about that. I don't imagine we'll hear anything before next week. I'm anxious to hear how he made out too, especially with the anniversary celebration they wanted to arrange with the hotel. I'm such a romantic sucker for that stuff :D

As to using computers when I'm traveling.....I'm one of those people who won't except to check in for my flight. I bring my kindle and smart phone with me but I rarely turn them on, just use them to play games on the plane.

Has nothing to do with your TA. Avalon will transfer you for free if you show up to their pre-cruise hotel on the day of embarkation. :) It's probably the same for the airport, but I'm not positive about that.

I just booked an Avalon wine cruise from Prague to Remich. We always do our own thing pre and post cruise regardless of ocean cruise or river cruise. So, last year we did Avalon from Bucharest to Budapest. We stayed at the cruise hotel, and were assured by my TA that what DLM said is true. I was uncertain. Turned out perfect.

This cruise this fall, the story from Avalon was not the same. I booked transfers from Prague to Nuremburg, at $47 pp. I am skeptical had we showed up at the hotel, they would have left us behind. The ship ends at Remich, Luxembourg, which is about 15 KM from the train station the cruise is going to take everyone to in order to get to Paris. I am betting that the cruise director before I give him/her our tips will happily add us to the bus to the train station, where I intend to rent a car for the next five days of our trip. If that doesn't work, we will take the local bus or a taxi.

In other words, either Avalon is changing or it depends on where the cruise is.

With my personal experience about to be two, I can't say anything for sure.

jc

This cruise this fall, the story from Avalon was not the same. I booked transfers from Prague to Nuremburg, at $47 pp. I am skeptical had we showed up at the hotel, they would have left us behind. The ship ends at Remich, Luxembourg, which is about 15 KM from the train station the cruise is going to take everyone to in order to get to Paris. I am betting that the cruise director before I give him/her our tips will happily add us to the bus to the train station, where I intend to rent a car for the next five days of our trip. If that doesn't work, we will take the local bus or a

Our cruise (Dec 2014 on Avalon) ended in Basel. On board a couple days before the end of the cruise, you were giving the option to be added to the transfers (for $$) to Zurich with those who had already booked (either for post-cruise stays with Avalon, or just airport transfers) My mom and her husband ended up doing that as they had planned to take a taxi to train station in Basel and then train to Zurich - single bus transfer was easier for them and not much more money. We stayed in Basel so just got a taxi to our hotel.

So yes, I think it does change depending on where the cruise is (and possible who the cruise director is - ours was quite good, I feel)

Our cruise (Dec 2014 on Avalon) ended in Basel. On board a couple days before the end of the cruise, you were giving the option to be added to the transfers (for $$) to Zurich with those who had already booked (either for post-cruise stays with Avalon, or just airport transfers) My mom and her husband ended up doing that as they had planned to take a taxi to train station in Basel and then train to Zurich - single bus transfer was easier for them and not much more money. We stayed in Basel so just got a taxi to our hotel.

So yes, I think it does change depending on where the cruise is (and possible who the cruise director is - ours was quite good, I feel)

By the way my wife and I attended a certain college in Chapel Hill.

Go Heels (hopeful to see them play in Kansas City right after we return from the river cruise.

jc

I promise I have not said "anything" today to piss anyone off ;)

Here I go...:o

Maybe it's just because I had a hard time following post#121

"I can't say anything for sure".

By the way my wife and I attended a certain college in Chapel Hill.

Go Heels (hopeful to see them play in Kansas City right after we return from the river cruise.

jc

...and what do these last few posts have to do with the OPs problematic Viking River Cruise ?

Edited by $hip$hape

I don't know that the cruise is "problematic " at all, the only thing we know is that the OP had a series of miscommunication issues with Viking and his TA and then failed to read flight information that was sent to him and darn near waited to long to get it fix.

So then he came on CC and I think FB and yelled and screamed and carried on as if it was the end of the world.

THEN, typical of Viking they ignored the OP to the point this man seemed likely to have a Coronary prior to ever making it to their cruise.... At which point AFTER the OP was likely in the air did Viking finally do the right thing and try to fix a mess they made and the OP ignored[emoji15] good grief!

Does that about sum things up and get this thread back on track?

Edited by JVilleGal

Here I go...:o

...and what do these last few posts have to do with the OPs problematic Viking River Cruise ?

I'd guess at least a third of the posts on this thread have very little to do with the OP's problematic Viking River Cruise. Just the nature of message boards!