What is your favorite part of a cruise ?

PoppyandNana

There are so many "favorite" parts it is hard to pick one. But for us would have to be that moment when you first cross the gang way and step foot onto the ship.

Everything that a cruise represents come rushing to the fore front at that moment. All the months of planning, saving, anticipating are behind and the actual cruise is now a reality.

I get a kick out of every part...from the figuring where we should go, what line, whose offering what, what will it take to convince the hubby:eek:, booking, the long process of figuring out shore excursions, the joy of sometimes not needing flights if we go out of Southampton or the joy of getting flights to somewhere new, then the anticipation of getting the xpresspass, the shopping for a few things, getting the edocs, the packing and actually getting to the ship and ULTIMATELY SITTING ON THAT BALCONY WITH A GLASS (or 2) of champagne!

In 6 days I should have some edocs!!!!:D

As others have said all aspects are wonderful but for me it is as I sit down for my first evening meal.

All the stress of flights, transfers, boarding, unpacking and muster are done. We have met the room attendant and butler and explained our few needs and now it is all fun and relaxation time.

We usually book Tuscan for this first meal.

I look out over the wake of the ship watching the cares and problems of the real world becoming a distant blur. Magical every time.

As others have said all aspects are wonderful but for me it is as I sit down for my first evening meal.

All the stress of flights, transfers, boarding, unpacking and muster are done. We have met the room attendant and butler and explained our few needs and now it is all fun and relaxation time.

We usually book Tuscan for this first meal.

I look out over the wake of the ship watching the cares and problems of the real world becoming a distant blur. Magical every time.

That is it for me too. But its the MDR for us.

After all the hustle and bustle of getting there, waiting for and unpacking the luggage, and the mad rush to get to the dining room. I just feel like when we finally sit down at the table, I can just enjoy from that moment out.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Fav part is the MDR too.... especially formal night when the menu is better.

Worst depart.... debarkation day...

• you want me out of my room when??? It's worse on Alaskan cruises because you LOSE an hour with timezone changes.
  • when is breakfast served???
  • which restaurants are closed???
  • when am I too be packed???

How is this relaxing???

Edited by xlxo

I love walking on the ship, then vacation can really begin, after unpacking. My favorite part is coffee on the balcony, and being able to do nothing but relax, or doing everything the ship offers.

Edited by music

We are right behind both ya'll! That first step aboard!

Agree, the first step on board after usually a long time from the date of making the reservation. WERE HERE!!!

Edited by dabear

On the first day of the cruise when we get to escape from the noisy embarkation crowd and retreat to the peace and quiet of our own cabin, step out on the balcony for that first look around, and think YES!

Then after that, as louise1809 said, each morning when you wake up, stepping outside to enjoy the new view and anticipate what awaits you.

What a great way to begin each day.

There are two particularly great moments for me:

1. Crossing onto the ship for the first time.

2. When the luggage is put away and we can sit on the balcony with our first drink of the cruise and watch the wake. I don't completely relax until every bit is put away and the cases stored under the bed, and all the blue books and information they give you is stored out of sight. I hate clutter and I toss those Celebrity Todays almost as soon as they arrive, just keeping the tear-off, and then that gets tossed before dinner. I've heard people actually keep all those papers and bring them home? Is that true?

so....once all that is done and the room is how I like it, it's my favorite time of all. Typically 14 days of aaaaaahh

There are so many things you could say, the first step on board, the first great meal, my first new friend (the guy that pores my first drink), etc.

But my really favorite part is sitting on my balcony early in the am while the sun is coming up, reading a good book and listening to the waves, its magical to me.

For me it's when the unpacking is finished and we step out onto the balcony with a glass of bubbles in our hands. I don't care if we are facing the dock, it's that feeling of 'now we can completely relax' that is so special.

There are two particularly great moments for me:

1. Crossing onto the ship for the first time.

2. When the luggage is put away and we can sit on the balcony with our first drink of the cruise and watch the wake. I don't completely relax until every bit is put away and the cases stored under the bed, and all the blue books and information they give you is stored out of sight. I hate clutter and I toss those Celebrity Todays almost as soon as they arrive, just keeping the tear-off, and then that gets tossed before dinner. I've heard people actually keep all those papers and bring them home? Is that true?

so....once all that is done and the room is how I like it, it's my favorite time of all. Typically 14 days of aaaaaahh

We use to cruise with friends that not only kept every day's Today but made arrangements to get copies of every day's menu. They would compile those things with dozens of photos and put everything into an album.

By DAY they would annotate what menu items they are. Cut and paste little blurbs on each photo and other cutesy things.

The first one was nice to look at, sort of. But after the tenth Caribbean cruise it got a little old. Finally they agreed and started tossing all but five. Each year they would toss the oldest.

I have every 'Today' from every Celebrity cruise. In order, neatly filed with addional special memories. After being a teacher for 35 years I guess they would be in order and filed!

We have always had at least one additional cruise booked before boarding any cruise. If I didn't I don't think I could face the last beep on disembarkation. With a cruise in hand it is always 'Hasta la vista'! (Hope that is correct).

I like all aspect of eating in MDR as it encompasses food and wine /service-pampering/engaging table mates over the cruise about lots of things.

I love sitting somewhere in the shade enjoying the ocean views,breeze and smells of being on the ocean with a beer close by and my iPod

I spend as much at 6 months a year away from home. For us it's sense of adventure. It doesn't matter the ship as each one has it's pro's and con's and usually the pro's far out weight the con's.

My wife tells me that as soon as we embark she can see the stress begin to melt from me. It's a time that we reconnect and refresh. Our next cruise will find our cabin on the stern. I look forward to feeling the wake pull everyday life out of me.

The last thing I want or need on a cruise is the Internet or a phone. It's the walks at sunset and watching the sunrise. I'm not a beach person but I like the taste of salt air.

In cruising we get to go to places we may otherwise not have the opportunity to visit. We get to eat foods we not be able to afford downtown. We can watch performers that have worked hard to try and entertain us.

It's a big wonderful world and we have so little time to explore and experience. That's what cruising does for me.