Crown Grill tipping

I am on the side of those who think the surcharge and cabin charge is adequate. I am used to customary tips in non-ship restaurants, a friend of ours is an over tipper and feels the need to subsidize wait staff salaries.

Regarding Crown Grill, I was wondering what the surcharge tip plus portion of auto tip amounts to, in comparison to a regular restaurant tip. But I suppose a small portion of ALL auto tips does add up.

Is the included tip 15% of $25 = $3.75 per person ?

What makes you think that sharing the tips given to a waitress with the kitchen staff is normal? Cooks, dishwashers, etc. don't "normally" share in the tips given to wait staff. Tips are most often kept by the wait staff.

I thought wait staff share the pool of tips with each other. Don't bus boys etc. get included ?

In our local bar I often clear classes when we sit at a table that has just been vacated. The barman will smile and say, 'I'll tip you out later'. I thought that meant they all share.

Edited by Tedferg

I agree, but if leave some extra cash on the table, is it only the server that gets it or is it shared with the kitchen staff as in a normal restaurant?

I suspect that you're way wrong on that. There may be places where that is the case, but I'd bet that those are few and far between. But, I've never worked in a restaurant., so maybe I'm the one that is way off base.

Tom

What makes you think that sharing the tips given to a waitress with the kitchen staff is normal? Cooks, dishwashers, etc. don't "normally" share in the tips given to wait staff. Tips are most often kept by the wait staff.

Not looking to hijack off ships, and maybe it depends on establishment, but I thought there was some sharing of tips among staff other than direct servers.

I only remarked as the poster thought the food was so fab, but of course the server has nothing to do with that. On one cruise our regular DR waiter also worked in CG and we had him there. I knew he was a senior guy because we had asked for a table change in MDR after the embarkation dinner "experience" and we got a great crew.

Edited by steelers36

I thought wait staff share the pool of tips with each other. Don't bus boys etc. get included ?

In our local bar I often clear classes when we sit at a table that has just been vacated. The barman will smile and say, 'I'll tip you out later'. I thought that meant they all share.

Yes, bussers, food runners, "assistant" waiters, hosts, etc., i.e., the front of house staff, do receive a tip out. However, Thrak was correct that kitchen staff (cooks, dishwashers) are not part of tip outs.

THANK YOU This is something I am totally unfamiliar with, tipping isn't common in Australia, although I often round up the taxi fare as I need a lot of help at times.

I intend to have breakfast in Sabatini's both mornings I can on my cruise. Was wondering about asking to speak to the Cook, and giving them something for themselves and the dishwashers as a Thank You for providing me such a nice meal. Would this be reasonable please?

From what I have been able to learn, both here and talking to personnel on ships, what you say is only partially correct. That said, my understanding of the situation is that even if you leave cash, if it's given to the people in an envelope, they are supposed to write their name on the envelope and your suite number and turn it in. It is then checked by someone at some point to ensure that you have not "turned off" the auto-tip. If it's turned off, then the amount of your tip is placed in "the pool" and distributed with all the auto-tips. If auto-tip is still in place, then it is returned to the person. I have had servers come back to me and ask my name and suite number so I tend to believe this is the way its done. I suspect that it's standard throughout all the ships, but that's just a supposition on my part.

Tom

I've never been asked for that info. My assumption is that since the restaurant already has my name/cabin number, they would be able to verify my auto-tip status.

You will find that many here on CC delight in tipping over and over even when they have already included the auto gratuity and the surcharge for the specialty dining. Others don't tip extra and don't feel bad about it - nor should they.

Tipping in the US is idiotically out of hand. I've worked as a cook and when I prepared great food with a great presentation the waitress got a great tip. I didn't get a tip at all. Of course I figured I was being paid to do my job and always wondered why someone should tip me.

In my opinion too many people in the US tip too much and too often. I don't know if it makes them feel more important or superior or what but it is totally idiotic the way people tip these days. It's no wonder the folks from Australia are confused by the tipping.

WOW!!! "Makes them feel more important or superior" Pretty arrogant statement in my opinion. Maybe we tip extra because we appreciated the service and meal. It's an individual decision, nothing more.

I've never been asked for that info. My assumption is that since the restaurant already has my name/cabin number, they would be able to verify my auto-tip status.

Knowing your name and/or suite number is a lot different than having access to your personal information which would include your auto-tip status. I would think that while the dining room personnel would probably have access to software that had to do with the dining room, they would probably have no information on individual cruisers.

Tom

I have been on a number of cruise but have never tried the specialty dinning option.

I plan to go to the Crown Grill. I need some guidance--does the cover charge include the tip?

If not what have you left as the tip? When you are done eating do you ask for the check?

It's included but you can tip extra if you wish.

Tip or not tip...your choice.

Why we tip in "America" is because the waiter's

waitress get a day wage (not much) and tips help

make up their wages. Depending on where they

work ..they give some to the bus boy/girl and

some places even to the chef. Usually not to the

chef because he/she makes more money.

So most try to give good service to you and others

and hope they get a tip.

Same on the ship they try to give you good service

and hope they get an extra tip. Up to you

Right or wrong that's the way it is.

The tip is included in the surcharge and if you leave your daily auto gratuity intact you've tipped the dining room for the same dinner. . If you feel the need to triple tip then by all means but when is enough , enough?

The director of customer services on a recent Princess cruise told me that no part of the surcharge goes towards a gratuity.

• 2 months later...

A few years back we were on a Princess Cruise. We did the anytime dinning, and had a table for two. The waiter and assistant waiter were very attentive. Talked to us a lot, told us a lot about their families. Every night we left an extra tip for them - currency on the table. Were sympathetic to them, being away from home for months at a time. On the last day, they told us they were not allowed to keep extra tips. All extra tips were turned in, and then shared by everyone.

They told us the best thing we could do for them was give them an excellent review. They gave us their names and asked us to use their names in our cruise evaluation.

So, the tipping is a puzzlement. Want to tip, but if they don't get it directly, changes a person's thinking.

I think why they couldn't keep the

tips because it was anytime dining.

People sit at different tables and

have different waiters each night.

Most people don't tip at anytime

They split the tip's because makes it

fair for all the waiters.

In set dining they get to keep the

tips because they wait on you every night

and most people tip extra.

Edited by Belle

[quote name='caribill']The director of customer services on a recent Princess cruise told me that no part of the surcharge goes towards a gratuity.[/quote]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]That doesn't sound right. We went to CG with friends and at the end of dinner realized we didn't have any cash for a tip (got used to walking around with no money in our pocket:D). The waiter heard us talking about writing a tip on the check and he came over and told us not to do it, "it is taken care of".[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Thrak']You will find that many here on CC delight in tipping over and over even when they have already included the auto gratuity and the surcharge for the specialty dining. Others don't tip extra and don't feel bad about it - nor should they.

Tipping in the US is idiotically out of hand. I've worked as a cook and when I prepared great food with a great presentation the waitress got a great tip. I didn't get a tip at all. Of course I figured I was being paid to do my job and always wondered [I]why[/I] someone should tip me.

In my opinion too many people in the US tip too much and too often. I don't know if it makes them feel more important or superior or what but it is totally idiotic the way people tip these days. It's no wonder the folks from Australia are confused by the tipping.[/QUOTE]

Well said! I like the money in my pocket instead of theirs!

We ate in the Crown Grill on the second night of our last cruise. It was just 4 nights long (taken back-to-back with a 3-night cruise). I wrote an extra tip on the charge slip. I checked with passenger services the last full day of the cruise after seeing the tip wasn't included with the charge and was told that the charges sometimes go through separately on the last night. We were never charged for it. So if you want to be sure your waiter gets the tip, bring cash. Edited by geoherb