Caipirinha on Marina!

gymfreak

Hello fellow cruisers

We sail on Marina from Cape Town to Rio in November.

Bearing in mind our destination of Rio, my all time favourite cocktail is the famous Brazillian Caipirinha . Has anyone ordered or knows if this is available on the Marina?

Thanks

Vicki

Hello fellow cruisers

We sail on Marina from Cape Town to Rio in November.

Bearing in mind our destination of Rio, my all time favourite cocktail is the famous Brazillian Caipirinha . Has anyone ordered or knows if this is available on the Marina?

Thanks

Vicki

If you are asking if the Cocktail Selections are altered as the ships circle the globe, no they are not.

Oceania ships don't regularly carry Cachaça, aguardente, pinga, caninha or whatever you may choose to make your Caipirinha's with; but the good news is that if you contact Special Services in advance of your voyage, they will make a good faith effort to get some in.

Personally, however, I'd just have a Mojito and be done with it ;)

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Hi, gymfreak and StanandJim, I have a question, maybe, you can help me with.  It doesn't have anything to do with this subject.  But, I believe you can answer my question.

Just out of curiosity do you guys know where the Marina would dock in Rio ?  Is it close enough to walk downtown ?  Anybody got any pictures ? 

Thanks, in advance.

Dave & Lee

1 hour ago, daveispar said:

Hi, gymfreak and StanandJim, I have a question, maybe, you can help me with.  It doesn't have anything to do with this subject.  But, I believe you can answer my question.

Just out of curiosity do you guys know where the Marina would dock in Rio ?  Is it close enough to walk downtown ?  Anybody got any pictures ? 

Thanks, in advance.

Dave & Lee

To answer this question, simply do a Google search for " ______ Cruise Port".

https://www.whatsinport.com/Rio-de-Janeiro.htm

1 hour ago, daveispar said:

Thanks, in advance.

Dave & Lee

Not close to downtown, in fact it is a traffic nightmare at times. IMO it is not a nice port. May have changed since we were there and Olmpics may have spiced it up

8 minutes ago, daveispar said:

Thanks for the quick response. Doesn't sound like my wife and I will be walking around !  How long has it been since you were there ? 

Thanks,

Dave & Lee

Walking around just about anywhere Rio on your own is an adventure at best and a disaster waiting to happen at worst 🙂

We were first in Rio in March 1974 and had absolutely no worries going around on our own.  The locals were very helpful when we didn't know which way to go.  One gentleman went out of his way to walk us a couple of blocks to the zoo.  On the local bus (which cost virtually nothing) the passengers were all eager to help us know which stop would take us to a nice restaurant that would have been impossible for them.  As I recall our steak dinner in a beautiful (former) home was $40 -- don't recall if that was pp or total, I think total.

But things have changed.  When we were there five years ago we'd seen enough horror stories that we wouldn't consider it.  Instead we booked a guide for full day tours on the two days we were there.  With the guide and a private car we had no worries.

Mura