HAL to Cuba?

wander

Go Carnival (big C).

Well, we now know what was probably at least in part a reason for the introduction of the new Carnival (big C Corporation) line Fathom. Just in the news:

Cruises to Cuba - perhaps as early as April 2016. In the interim - it will be the already announced specialized cruises to the Domican Republic. Interesting. Now we will see if these trips are approved under the People-to-People umbrella, or if other options open up.

Edited by wander

Aha, just as I called it when they made their 'fathom' announcement recently.

Carnival Corporation & plc, the world's largest travel and leisure company, today announced that the U.S. Department of the Treasury and the U.S. Department of Commerce granted approval for the company to begin travel to Cuba. Carnival Corporation intends to take travelers to Cuba beginning in May 2016 via its newly launched fathom brand – a new social impact travel brand providing purpose-oriented, social impact experiences, initially in the Dominican Republic.

It's not going to be cheap, according to their press release:

Prices for seven-day itineraries to Cuba start at $2,990 per person, excluding taxes, port and other government and related fees, and including all meals on the ship, onboard social impact immersion experiences and certain on-the-ground cultural immersion activities.

That is an outrageous price.

Do a land trip. You will get far more for your money in terms of travel experience and 'on the ground cultural immersion'

Cannot imagine actually cruising from Florida for a trip to Cuba. Gee...how far is it???

If you really want cultural immersion, forget the Marriott style cabins and the American style dining venues that cacoon you in a ship. Instead, try a Cuban resort, a local B&B, and eat in a local restaurant. Why pretend when you can do the real thing and do it in a much less expensive manner?

Edited by iancal

Aha, just as I called it when they made their 'fathom' announcement recently.

Carnival Corporation & plc, the world's largest travel and leisure company, today announced that the U.S. Department of the Treasury and the U.S. Department of Commerce granted approval for the company to begin travel to Cuba. Carnival Corporation intends to take travelers to Cuba beginning in May 2016 via its newly launched fathom brand – a new social impact travel brand providing purpose-oriented, social impact experiences, initially in the Dominican Republic.

Yup, you did say Cuba - you were just ahead of your time :)

I think it very big news and it is always great to have choices. For those who wish to go, thank you to Carnival for offering it.

I just might consider it. :D

How far behind could HAL be in offering stops in Cuba? Would you go?

Article from Orlando Sentinel and Sun Sentinel newspaper:CCL to Cuba.

Since the only reason the Fathom brand ship was given a license to carry US passengers to Cuba is that it fall under the "humanitarian" or "cultural exchange" clauses, I doubt Carnival Corp would impinge another brand on their newest brand. The Cuban cruises start at $3000 per person, and per the Treasury Dept's website, "free time and recreation" would be limited to that equivalent to a "full time" humanitarian operation in Cuba, so I'm guessing that 8 hours of work or cultural immersion, or whatever ploy Fathom is using would be required every day before any tourist-type excursions or time off the ship would be allowed.

The CEO was on MSNBC this am discussing Carnival now being able to go to Cuba. I am so not impressed with him and it seems it is all about money, and also for him looking good.

I would enjoy going sometime way in the future. I have so many other places that are more interesting for me.

Denise:)

Since the only reason the Fathom brand ship was given a license to carry US passengers to Cuba is that it fall under the "humanitarian" or "cultural exchange" clauses, I doubt Carnival Corp would impinge another brand on their newest brand. The Cuban cruises start at $3000 per person, and per the Treasury Dept's website, "free time and recreation" would be limited to that equivalent to a "full time" humanitarian operation in Cuba, so I'm guessing that 8 hours of work or cultural immersion, or whatever ploy Fathom is using would be required every day before any tourist-type excursions or time off the ship would be allowed.

More details straight from the CEO

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/fathoms-cuba-and-dominican-republic-experiences-will-differ.html

The CEO was on MSNBC this am discussing Carnival now being able to go to Cuba. I am so not impressed with him and it seems it is all about money, and also for him looking good.

I would enjoy going sometime way in the future. I have so many other places that are more interesting for me.

Of course it is about money. CCL is a business, isn't it? Actually, it is about dealing with a Communist country and getting your foot in the door to start doing business there. I am impressed that CCL figured out how to be the first cruise line to get there.

My cynical side says that since these "humanitarian" and "cultural" exemptions were created in 2011, the only reason Carnival Corp founded Fathom was to exploit this exemption to start cruises to Cuba.

I think the way Carnival is doing it is a test of Cuba's port infrastructure. Using a very small ship with a limited number of guests is smart in my opinion.

And yes, I think other cruise lines will be eager to get in there. As for me, its a balancing act, I want to go while it is still authentic and before it gets too touristy and messed up by all us ugly imperialists. However, I also want to wait until they iron out the bugs (metaphorical and literal bugs) and have the infrastructure in place to support the cruise ship style of tourism.

Mike

My cynical side says that since these "humanitarian" and "cultural" exemptions were created in 2011, the only reason Carnival Corp founded Fathom was to exploit this exemption to start cruises to Cuba.

You nailed it!

Fathom is simply an excuse to get into Cuba before the competitor.

As a sidenote, MSC is basing "Opera" this winter in Cuba doing Caribbean cruises.

I think the way Carnival is doing it is a test of Cuba's port infrastructure. Using a very small ship with a limited number of guests is smart in my opinion.

And yes, I think other cruise lines will be eager to get in there. As for me, its a balancing act, I want to go while it is still authentic and before it gets too touristy and messed up by all us ugly imperialists. However, I also want to wait until they iron out the bugs (metaphorical and literal bugs) and have the infrastructure in place to support the cruise ship style of tourism.

Mike

Cruise ships already go to Cuba. This one does 7 day itineraries http://yourcubacruise.com/ and I think Thomson and Fred Olsen go there as well. MSC will be there for the winter starting in Dec http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/msc-opera-to-be-based-in-havana-for-winter-2015-16.html

I had lived in Cuba un 1946-48 and went to an Englsih-speaking school there (Ruston Academy) and would like very much to visit Cuba and see what has changed since then.

However, I would like to go when there are no restrictions such as the people-to-people, cultural or religious or music, selections. Any of those types would restrict you from going to Varadero Beach (sp?) for example. While Canadian trips may fly you on to Varadero, getting to Havana from there gets too restrictive.