If You Miss Your Cruise, Does Your TA Still Get Their Commission?

ChucktownSteve

My FORMER TA, who CONned me, considered the no show as a cancellation and added insult to injury by charging me their cancellation fee.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find an agent you are happy with for your next booking...one that doesn't charge cancellation/change fees and is accessible 24/7 for emergencies.

Have no advice or information to offer I just wanted to say how sorry I felt for you. We all plan, book, think we are safe and then, for you, it all went to pieces. Like you we usually feel if we are arriving a day early we are protected from last minute problems. Obviously not always the case.

I hope you manage to claim back your losses, find a great replacement cruise and then the upgrade fairy lands in your yard and you have the holiday of a lifetime.

Last year we booked a holiday of a lifetime flying UK to Hawaii and then cruising the Solstice to Sydney. You can imagine our horror when our airline (Air France) started a series of strikes. Unlike your carrier, Air France were really helpful, changing our flight to a more expensive carrier at no additional cost. We had a very uncomfortable time before the new flights were rescheduled.....not nice.

All the very best for your future cruise experiences!

Chemmo

Thank you for taking time to share your experiences. You were so proactive about everything...day before arrival, insurance, using a TA which people always say is "supposed" to make things easier, not harder. Even looking into catching cruise at another port. Yet as a previous poster worded it, it all went to pieces. I too hope your next trip is amazing with upgrades or other wonderful surprises - you so deserve it.

I can't believe the problem you had reaching American Airlines: I hate that airline. Unfortunately, I don't have too many choices as I need to fly cross-country and they're one of the few airlines that fits my schedule and has the nonstops I want - Jet Blue is $125/pp more. But you're definitely making me 2nd guess using them.

Thank you for the well wishes. I have two very good cruises booked. The next one is our first outside and the one after that is our first AQ1. Thus I don't need the upgrade fairy. Besides any day on a ship is better than one on land.

Had I booked Delta, I would not have experienced the problem which resulted in American sending me through Dallas. Delta goes through Atlanta even if you're going to heaven (as they say). :D

My DW said after this experience we're only booking Delta. We've never had bad customer service from them.

I have learned a lot from this experience...the TA you select is important... the airline you select is VERY important and the trip insurance company you select is important. I suppose I took things for granted. However I hit the trifecta of worst on this experience. :eek:

DO we know FOR SURE TA's get their commissions still - or are we assuming?

We don't get our Captain's Club points if we don't actually sail, so I'd be curious to know for a fact that TA's do get paid still.

YOU should have at least had taxes and port fees refunded, as well as any excursions and add-ins you pre-purchased,

Yes they do..........for sure.

My TA who is one of X's top sellers, says she doesn't get commission till AFTER a sailing is complete - not once it's paid in full. Generally about a 2 week rolling period post cruise to pay out commissions.

perhaps The company she works for does not give out commissions until after sailings to the agents.........keeps more cash flow in the company;)

My FORMER TA, who CONned me, considered the no show as a cancellation and added insult to injury by charging me their cancellation fee.

Does not sound right or make sense to me. I would dispute the charge. You did not cancel the cruise. You missed the cruise. I suspect they are telling you that they did not receive a commission to fool you into thinking it is justified to charge you an additional cancellation fee when you did not even cancel. I would make sure you have escalated this to management at the TA and possible final a complaint with the BBB?

When my flight was cancelled, I called the TA. All they said was, I'm sorry we're a cruise only TA. I was on my own. Sorry to say I learned this lesson the hard way.

I didn't realize about the cancellation fee because it's well HIDDEN in their lengthy terms online only just before the final cruise confirmation. It's not spelled out clearly on their web site or in their confirmation email. They allude to it but don't say it.

I hope others learn from my experience and carefully consider the consequences of the TA you select. I never expected the flight cancellation and an airline who didn't even handle their in person customers well.

I currently have a cruise booked with that TA; initially booked on board, moved in an attempt to get some of the wondrous perks discussed here. I am not happy with the minimal service I have received, but in fairness, I will say that in my initial phone conversation with them, they were clear that I would have a $50 cancellation fee on top of anything I would owe to Celebrity.

I currently have a cruise booked with that TA; initially booked on board, moved in an attempt to get some of the wondrous perks discussed here. I am not happy with the minimal service I have received, but in fairness, I will say that in my initial phone conversation with them, they were clear that I would have a $50 cancellation fee on top of anything I would owe to Celebrity.

They were recommended by a cruising friend. The wondrous perks attracted me as well. I originally booked on their web site then we followed up through emails to each other. You were fortunate that they made the cancellation clear for you. Minimal service = no service from the agency I used.

If you don't need anything (including help) then they're an ok agency.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

The agency should have received the commission from Celebrity 2 or 3 weeks after final payment. The cruise line does take back the commission if the cruise is canceled after final payment is made. Sorry for you trouble and hope our cruise in September is much better for you. ChucktownSteve see you in September on the Summit.

Sorry for you trouble and hope our cruise in September is much better for you. ChucktownSteve see you in September on the Summit.

...when the summer's through. ;) Thankx Debe. The Sept cruise would have been better anyway!

But this time even if United cancels the two hour direct flight (hope there's no snow storm), since I'm coming in a day ahead, I can still drive the 12 hours and make the cruise. :D That's my Plan B!

Wow - I was nervous just reading about your missed cruise! A nightmare and I'm so sad that it happened but happy to hear about your insurance!

I've often considered using that same large TA but have always had a few reservations - you have now confirmed that I will never book with them - no matter what perks they offer. I was using a very good TA with a nation wide company that gave me great service - but when my credit card info was hacked in their corporate office - I've never gone back. Now I'm my own TA and I love having complete control of my booking myself - well worth the loss of a bottle of wine and some OBC. If I have a question, concern, want to change something - Celebrity treats me very well.

As for Delta, which is all we fly domestically, they are more expensive and might not always be on time but they do pretty good. Customer service has been great. When my Dad needed surgery and I flew up on a FF ticket and needed to change my return date - due to the circumstances they didn't charge me the expensive change fee.

Wishing you happy sailing on your next cruise.

You need a new TA. Sorry to say, but as a TA I have clients miss ships, cancel for medical reasons, etc, and it is MY job to help them sort out what needs to be done with flights and insurance. (Always get insurance, people, and use a good company!) A TA cannot speed along the insurance process, unfortunately, but when dealing with food companies, can always get a status report and pass that along to the client.

Oh, and even if what they told you was true (and it does sound fishy to me...) so what? Why is that your problem? You missed your flight, you didn't cancel and rebook with someone else. Then, I could understand them being mad...

Oh, and one more thing... stay away from TAs that charge cancellation fees of their own. That is just wrong.

Thank you for your comments. I have noticed a great deal of turnover in some of the online agencies. I wonder if perhaps both of you are right. The agency may have kept the commission and not given it to the actual person who booked the cruise for the client.

...when the summer's through. ;) Thankx Debe. The Sept cruise would have been better anyway!

But this time even if United cancels the two hour direct flight (hope there's no snow storm), since I'm coming in a day ahead, I can still drive the 12 hours and make the cruise. :D That's my Plan B!

We drive up to Bayonne from Myrtle Beach on Saturday, spending the night in Annapolis. From there it's only about a 3 1/2 hour drive early Sunday morning with little traffic.

We drive up to Bayonne from Myrtle Beach on Saturday, spending the night in Annapolis. From there it's only about a 3 1/2 hour drive early Sunday morning with little traffic.

I've made that drive before to visit relatives so I know it's not so bad. However the DW insisted we fly. That wasn't a battle worth fighting. :cool:

perhaps The company she works for does not give out commissions until after sailings to the agents.........keeps more cash flow in the company;)

My thoughts too... or to allow for cancellations, rather than reverse later i.e. it's not confirmed until after the cruise.

Well, I hate to admit it, but I am his friend who suggested the TA. We have used them for many cruises and have generally been happy. The only main problem is they are not available on weekends. I was aware of their cancellation policy and that they will not penalize you if you rebook immediately.

Once I learned of Steve's problems with them, I personally called the agent I usually use to see if she could help. I was under the impression that they would contact Steve, but no promises were made about the cancellation.

Anyway, this was a fantastic 10 night Alaska cruise with a great itinerary. When I booked it, I contacted Steve and he jumped at it. Excursions were booked, arrangements for dinners with other friends were made, etc. etc. All the pre-planning that could have been done, was done. When we were in Seattle, we learned of the transportation problem. He was originally supposed to fly to Vancouver, but I suggested he try to get to Seattle on another airline and take the Quick Shuttle. Unfortunately, nothing worked out.

Steve did everything possible to make the ship. I can understand a TA having a cancellation policy to compensate agents who put in a lot of work only to have someone cancel on them just because they change their mind, etc. But, in this case they should have considered the circumstances and waived the fee-particularly since he already had another cruise booked through them.

I am very disappointed in this TA. I have three cruises booked through them, but will change TAs after those. `In fact, I would cancel those now except I would have to pay a fee. :rolleyes:

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

PS-regardless of when it is paid, the agent surely would receive the commissions and the timing is irrelevant.

Edited by wvufan

Well, I hate to admit it, but I am his friend who suggested the TA. We have used them for many cruises and have generally been happy. The only main problem is they are not available on weekends. I was aware of their cancellation policy and that they will not penalize you if you rebook immediately.

Once I learned of Steve's problems with them, I personally called the agent I usually use to see if she could help. I was under the impression that they would contact Steve, but no promises were made about the cancellation.

Anyway, this was a fantastic 10 night Alaska cruise with a great itinerary. When I booked it, I contacted Steve and he jumped at it. Excursions were booked, arrangements for dinners with other friends were made, etc. etc. All the pre-planning that could have been done, was done. When we were in Seattle, we learned of the transportation problem. He was originally supposed to fly to Vancouver, but I suggested he try to get to Seattle on another airline and take the Quick Shuttle. Unfortunately, nothing worked out.

Steve did everything possible to make the ship. I can understand a TA having a cancellation policy to compensate agents who put in a lot of work only to have someone cancel on them just because they change their mind, etc. But, in this case they should have considered the circumstances and waived the fee-particularly since he already had another cruise booked through them.

I am very disappointed in this TA. I have three cruises booked through them, but will change TAs after those. `In fact, I would cancel those now except I would have to pay a fee. :rolleyes:

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

PS-regardless of when it is paid, the agent surely would receive the commissions and the timing is irrelevant.

OOOEEE,

Thankx for your kind words and support. I wasn't going to out you. ;)

One of the big disappointments was us not getting to see you and Phyl again or our pre-cruise dinner with Jacquie and Gary.

I can share with you the other TA I use, if you like, who doesn't charge a cancellation fee and actually gave us more OBC than the "con" agency on our Caribbean cruise. We've used them twice before the upcoming cruise.

We all need to find a great cruise for late 2016 or early 2017!

Bests, Steve

PS: Thankx for the can of AK salmon and the salmon cutting board in lieu of the cruise! :-)

Edited by ChucktownSteve