How much extra do you spend on food on Royal Caribbean

How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)  

399 members have voted

1. 1. How much money do you spend for upcharge dining (per person)

Just a simple poll to see how much additional money people are spending on upcharge specialty dining food / experiences onboard Royal Caribbean ships.

$9×2=18 Johnny Rockets w/shakes once per cruise for lunch

$20×2=40 Giovanni's table once

$30×2=60 chops, once

$118 total

DW also gets the Replenishment package soda and specialty coffee $133

Refreshment (soda) package for me $45

Less than $30, plus the soft drink package. We´ve never been interested in the alternative dining with the exception of Johnny Rockets.

We will enjoy meals at ports, but I´ve never been interested in paying extra for food on the ship. I´m usually very happy with the other offerings.

Nada.

If they don't think enough of us to serve good food in the included venues they don't deserve extra money from me.

I am not opposed to paying a significant amount for an excellent meal in a restaurant that has superb service and first class ambiance. However, I have yet to see such a venue on a cruise ship and the quality would have to be A LOT higher than that serve elsewhere on the ship for me to consider it excellent.

We will have at least 3 dinners in specialty and maybe a lunch, we did 4 last cruise and that was too much, prefer the service and food , very quick to get a second or third glass of wine in specialty restaurants.

since you couched it as per person, I went with the $31 -60. one specialty restaurant, usually about $35 each( we like Izumi) and at least one ice cream sundae after coming back on board from a port call.

I won't eat JR at home so do not ever go near it on board. not even for a shake.

if they offer us great deal on any other specialty, ( half off or BOGO) we will take them up on the offer. except Sabor. I don't do Mexican or Mexican Fusion.

We have now reached diamond on RCL and at this stage have not spent a cent extra for food.

We have to stick to budgets so we can cruise more and find the food more than acceptable in the complimentary venues.

We are all in. We usually do all specialty restaurants and the chefs table. We usually get one bought by our travel agent and get a discount for booking 3. But still expensive. And we do the the alcohol packages. But we are foodies so we like it. The only one that wasn't worth it last time was chops, crowded with poor service on Allure. So 600 on food for the two of us for food. Plus 800 drinks package...

the poll of course only include people on CC, and then a subset of those that will actually complete the poll.

On a related note of reality, look at how many are eating in the MDR and Buffet each day. Way more than those that eat in the pay restaurants. Just sayin.

Last cruise in August 2014 on the Navigator we ate at Sabor twice, Chops once and Giovanni's Table once. There were 3 of us. With specialty Margaritas at Sabor each bill was around $120.00. So, on that cruise we easily spent over $400 on the specialty restaurants.

First night in MDR I got glutened in spite of going over the menu with the waiter and head waiter. I was sick within 30 minutes. It ruined the next few days and I was unable to eat anything until day 4 of the cruise.

the poll of course only include people on CC, and then a subset of those that will actually complete the poll.

On a related note of reality, look at how many are eating in the MDR and Buffet each day. Way more than those that eat in the pay restaurants. Just sayin.

Of course. Most ships, the specialty restaurants all combined do not have that large of an overall capacity. If a ship has a 4000 person capacity, specialty dining can not hold 1300, yet the poll is currently showing about 1/3 of CC forum participants go to specialty dining.

I think you're stating things that are clearly obvious, but not sure about the point you are getting at.

I've never felt the need to spend extra money on food. That being said, I prefer the smaller ships that don't have a venue like a Johnny Rockets that might tempt me for a smaller snack or meal. Rita's was on our last cruise, but it honestly never occurred to us to go there.

On my upcoming B2B, I'll be sailing solo and am considering doing the "buy 3" specialty dining to treat myself to the experience. I've enjoyed the MDR as a solo, but am at the point that I want to try something different.

It really depends on the ship. We really enjoy the chef's table, but it isn't offered on some of the ships. We usually do Chops & Giovanni's. (AOS doesn't have Chops)

Our B2B on Oasis the 2nd leg we only did one night at the MDR.

I will say somewhere between 30 - 250 - Jan

I look at it this way. In a small subset of cruisers...and the majority of that subset has cruised many times and get substantial perks...two thirds of them spend $30 or less per person extra on food.

They must be getting a HUGE percentage of the first timers to fall for the extra charges or they would not be able to justify committing the space on the ship to those venues.