cabin bathroom water safe?

The water in the bathroom is desalinated, which no matter the method used to create it, it is very pure.

The water generally doesn't get very cold in the bathrooms, though, so ask for ice.

BTW: The same water is used for ice, ice water and soft drinks all over the ship.

Edited by OSUZorba

im reading noro spread through water in bathrooms... eek or is this just rumor

There was a recent very good discussion on the production of water on board the ship. Other than a typically fairly high, but within the acceptable range, chlorine residual, the water is fine. If you're really concerned, get a Brita bottle with charcoal filter to remove most of the chlorine; just drink the water shortly after filtering it.

Noro is spread from person to person; water on the ship has not, to the best of my knowledge, been implicated. Your fellow cruisers, not the multi-million dollar water purification system, are the problem!

CDC information page on norovirus:

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

Wash your hand, wash your hand, wash your hands! The alcohol based hand sanitizer is NOT particularly effective against norovirus. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!!!!

And, yes, largely rumor. Unless your roomate has noro, then, yes, you will catch it, either from them or from helping them in the bathroom. Been there, done that, NOT on a cruiseship!

We have used the bathroom sink water for brushing teeth, but nothing more, and no issues. We purchase the drink package so it comes with bottled water. We grab a bottle most every time we are at the bar and take the extras back to our room for drinking and taking ashore on excursions/shopping.

Outside of a fixture cleanliness issue, there is no way this could happen. The water in the bathroom is fresh, 'new' water, it is not recirculated. And it is the same water used everywhere on the ship.

If your bathroom faucet has noro on the the aerator, it is probably all over your room and you'll get it either way.

I am assuming you are talking about the sink water and not the toilet water. The toilet water is the same water, but I assume you could get noro if you drank it after it was in the bowl. ;)

Edit: I drink about 2 gallons of water everyday on the ship, all tab water. Never had any issues.

Edited by OSUZorba

Thanks for the laugh...lol no toilet water for me:eek:

There was a recent very good discussion on the production of water on board the ship. Other than a typically fairly high, but within the acceptable range, chlorine residual, the water is fine. If you're really concerned, get a Brita bottle with charcoal filter to remove most of the chlorine; just drink the water shortly after filtering it.

Noro is spread from person to person; water on the ship has not, to the best of my knowledge, been implicated. Your fellow cruisers, not the multi-million dollar water purification system, are the problem!

CDC information page on norovirus:

http://www.cdc.gov/features/norovirus/

Wash your hand, wash your hand, wash your hands! The alcohol based hand sanitizer is NOT particularly effective against norovirus. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!!!!

And, yes, largely rumor. Unless your roomate has noro, then, yes, you will catch it, either from them or from helping them in the bathroom. Been there, done that, NOT on a cruiseship!

Thanks for the laugh...lol no toilet water for me:eek:

Yeah, well when my wife and I both came down with it, over Christmas, in a not inexpensive Midtown Manhattan hotel, believe me, it wasn't funny! :)

sorry to hear that, i bet it was awful... im going to pack lysol wipes with me and use them in my cabin, dont care if i look like a germ o foob...:D

Yeah, well when my wife and I both came down with it, over Christmas, in a not inexpensive Midtown Manhattan hotel, believe me, it wasn't funny! :)

I don't have an article, but you can watch "Extreme Cruise Ships" which is about the Oasis and there is a part in that show where they discuss the water purification system. It might gross you out, but if you are aware of how your city water is purified, it's basically the same thing. Maybe better even. I assume all their ships use the same purification system. I've brushed my teeth with it and drank it and been fine. If it wasn't potable (drinkable) there would be a sign on the mirror (like you see in many hotels in The Caribbean) that says "not potable water, do not drink."

Anyway, you can watch that show in 6 pieces on You Tube. Just search it and it should show up with the beginning of the show as your first choice and then once it's over it will say "recommended to watch.." Or something like that, with the other 5 episodes listed, in order from top to bottom in my experience and I've watched it that way twice. And once on the travel channel :)

I don't have an article, but you can watch "Extreme Cruise Ships" which is about the Oasis and there is a part in that show where they discuss the water purification system. It might gross you out, but if you are aware of how your city water is purified, it's basically the same thing. Maybe better even. I assume all their ships use the same purification system. I've brushed my teeth with it and drank it and been fine. If it wasn't potable (drinkable) there would be a sign on the mirror (like you see in many hotels in The Caribbean) that says "not potable water, do not drink."

Anyway, you can watch that show in 6 pieces on You Tube. Just search it and it should show up with the beginning of the show as your first choice and then once it's over it will say "recommended to watch.." Or something like that, with the other 5 episodes listed, in order from top to bottom in my experience and I've watched it that way twice. And once on the travel channel :)

Thanks for that! There are water dispensers in the pizza joint on royal promenade. Just fill your water bottles there. Ice cold and very pure! Butvdontvwatch the programme referred to!

No need for bottled water unless you want to!

Thanks for that! There are water dispensers in the pizza joint on royal promenade. Just fill your water bottles there. Ice cold and very pure! Butvdontvwatch the programme referred to!

No need for bottled water unless you want to!

But NOT from the spout. Fill a glass then pour the contents of the glass into your water bottle.

PLEASE

hello does anyone know what precautions are used for the bathroom water for the cabins- is it safe to drink and brush teeth?

No, they lace it with cyanide and lead to thin the herd a little.

They only offer safe water to the Diamonds and above.

LOl! Of course the bathroom water is safe...it's the same water they use in the kitchen for your food, drinks, and ice. The water in the toilet is NOT safe...do not drink from the toilet.

(Just a note: the water from the tap will never "run cold", so put ice in your water, or put the water in the fridge to chill a bit!)

Edited by cb at sea

hello does anyone know what precautions are used for the bathroom water for the cabins- is it safe to drink and brush teeth?

any article to prove this would be helpful:confused:

You aren't really clear. Do you mean the water in the sink or the toilet? Because the toilet, doesn't have water, and you have to push that magic button to get any. It's easier for the sink

The water in the bathroom is the same as in the restaurant, or the ice in your drinks. It comes from many different sources. It can be pumped on and when it runs out, the desalination plant on board takes care of the rest. Some of the water in "bottles" is the same process of purification. It's sometimes just tap water, that is processed.

Noro can be spread through water systems, but not on cruise ships. Water in shoreside water systems will treat water at the treatment plant (spring, well, or lake/reservoir), but the halogen used (chlorine, bromine) will naturally dissipate as the water sits in the underground pipes. Shoreside plumbing systems are not required to inspect on a regular basis that there is no "backflow" from toilet water to drinking water, so noro virus can, in rare circumstances, be introduced to shore drinking water systems. Cruise ship water is constantly recirculated (not from the drains, but from the tank to the water mains on each deck and back to the tanks), and chlorine is continually added to maintain a safe level of sanitation.

Each and every toilet or machine that uses water (dishwashers, ice makers, etc.) has a backflow preventer installed to ensure no water can flow back to the drinking water system while the system is off, and these must be tested semi-annually or replaced annually.

As others have stated, the same water that is used in the cabin bathrooms is used for every other purpose onboard the ship, including the drinking water stations in restaurants and ice makers.

The reason the water does not "run cold" is that unlike at home where the water pipes are buried underground where the average temperature at 5-6' deep is 50*+-, the water in the ship is constantly recirculated through spaces that only receive marginal air conditioning, and then the engine room, so the temperature will be closer to 70-75*.

To show how strict water regulations are on ships, did you know that shower heads are a prime breeding grounds for legionella (legionnaire's disease)? Unlike your shower at home, all shower heads onboard must be taken down and sanitized in a bleach solution every 6 months.

Edited by chengkp75

Haha not likely. We've been on 10 cruises and I've been drinking the ship water every day and never gotten sick. Put it on ice, tastes as good as any other water.

I'm a heavy water drinker who drinks over a gallon per day, my method is to bring the Brita type water bottle (filter in the cap) to the bathroom faucet and fill 2 bottles to keep in my mini fridge, has worked for me on all my cruises :)