No Dynamic Dining on Oasis Class

You're right. But.....

• if you hate the menu of MDR on any specific night you are stuck, but with DD you can go to one of the other free venues, so you have a choice of over 40 entrees each and every night.
  • With MDR, if you totally love one of the dinners, you cannot have it again any other night of the cruise because the menu changes the next day
  • If the MDR is serving poor food nightly, you are stuck with this MDR the entire cruise. On DD, if one of the kitchens out of 4 is poor, you can stick with the 3 great chefs/cooks in the kitchens that are performing well and have a superb dining experience.
  • with DD you can go back to the same venue 2, 3,4 times to have lobster or rack of lamb several times for example at The Grande. Bottom line, if you love 3 or 4 entrees at American Icon you can go back there.... you don't have that ability in MDR.
  • if you have a problem with table mates, you can't change them with MDR unless you change away from the precious table you prereserved months in advance.
  • if you get a poor/new set of waiters/asst waiters (geez, we've never read of this complaint on CC have we?:rolleyes:), very difficult for the waiters to be changed out.
  • If you get squeezed into the worst seats of the table (no view at a window table for example) because your other 8 table mates absolutely must have the very same seating arrangement each and every night with no exception, MDR is very difficult to change... DD is perfect in this sense, you get to choose.
  • if you meet 2, 4, 6 new people in the DL or CL and wish to have dinner with them on several nights later in the cruise as you become friends, you cannot add 2,4,6 people to your MDR table whenever you want... DD you can on any night and at any venue you want.

There's so much positivity and flexibility with DD but no one ever says anything, and I think it's because of lack of actually experiencing making changes or enjoying having the choices. Those cruisers that hated having the choice, hated having control, are set in their ways and wants everything exactly the same every night no matter what really did not enjoy DD.

Your arguments are all leading a certain way, but not definitive. Many can be turned around and reversed if you prefer MDR. And in fact those arguments effectively criticise those who prefer MDR for the same reasons that you laud DD.

For example, you say "Bottom line, if you love 3 or 4 entrees at American Icon you can go back there.... you don't have that ability in MDR. " Yet you can go back there every day.

The distinction is that you cannot order the same thing every day. This is the crux of your opposition to MDR, where you conclude that " Those cruisers that hated having the choice, hated having control, are set in their ways and wants everything exactly the same every night..." When those you label as "stuck in their ways" is the same attitude that you praise when you say that DD lets you have choice - by having the same thing every night if you want it!

Really, the distinction is just do you want to go to a different venue every night, or do you prefer the convenience of going to a single venue? So how one can group can be criticised as stuck in their ways, whereas others are pro-choice is laughable.

Certainly, some may like the initial variety - although like going to Johnny Rockets, or seeing the same show, it may get repetitive when you go on more than one cruise. Whereas others like the style and service of the MDR, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Certainly, I'd agree with you IF there was a rotating menu just as you get in MDR at all the venues. But that's not the case. So all you're doing is taking one trade-off - the lack of change in venue - to another trade-off - the lack of variety in menus.

So the change is really being forced to go to different venues each night to change your menu versus going to one venue each night to change the menu.

Different sides of the same coin.

That is the ones whom have never tried it: for those of us who have, we tend to have a different opinion!

Sorry you are very mistaken.

I have had the pleasure of doing DD twice - on Quantum and on Anthem.

And I love it. As do others. As proven by the number of disappointed posts (by those who have done it ) on this thread.

This is a strawman argument. How many people have posted, "It's too difficult to decided, I hate making a choices"? That's as bias as me saying, "There were many people who welcomed DD because they felt it would be too difficult to dress up in the MDR."

Go back through the DD threads and you'll find a significant number of people discussing how they don't like the planning required or the fact that they have to decide where to eat weeks in advance. Just too many decisions that interfere with enjoying their vacations.

And, BTW, there are many of us who do find it "too difficult to dress up in the MDR." I'm sure you find the benefits of dressing up to be considerable and the difficulties minimal. Many of us disagree. We get no pleasure in dressing up and we find it to be both uncomfortable and pretentious. Therefore it is "too difficult" since the benefits are outweighed by the costs. Your MMV.

Maybe those who view Dynamic Dining as the best thing to come along since the invention of sliced bread can look the decision this way...

If you enjoy deciding, or decide to plan, where you will eat on each night of your cruise months in advance you still have the option of doing so as there are still going to be specialty venues on the ship.

If you do not enjoy deciding, or have no desire to plan, where you will eat on each night of your cruise months in advance RCI will not be forcing you to either do so or choose another cruise line.

You're right. But.....

•  
  • if you meet 2, 4, 6 new people in the DL or CL and wish to have dinner with them on several nights later in the cruise as you become friends, you cannot add 2,4,6 people to your MDR table whenever you want... DD you can on any night and at any venue you want.

There's so much positivity and flexibility with DD but no one ever says anything, and I think it's because of lack of actually experiencing making changes or enjoying having the choices. Those cruisers that hated having the choice, hated having control, are set in their ways and wants everything exactly the same every night no matter what really did not enjoy DD.

Let me first say, DH and I have not even utilized MTD. When we were on Allure and wanted to go to an the early show one evening even though we had early traditional dinner seating in the MDR we went to Izumi afterwards. Izumi is the only specialty restaurant we go to onboard, if the ship has it.

Let's say you do meet some new people, whether from the DL or CL or your Meet N Mingle or just from activities you have participated in around the ship and you want to have dinner together.

I don't believe anything stops you from skipping the MDR one evening (or more) and all agreeing to meet at the section of the dining room for MTD at a certain time to have dinner together....or am I wrong?

Let me first say, DH and I have not even utilized MTD. When we were on Allure and wanted to go to an the early show one evening even though we had early traditional dinner seating in the MDR we went to Izumi afterwards. Izumi is the only specialty restaurant we go to onboard, if the ship has it.

Let's say you do meet some new people, whether from the DL or CL or your Meet N Mingle or just from activities you have participated in around the ship and you want to have dinner together.

I don't believe anything stops you from skipping the MDR one evening (or more) and all agreeing to meet at the section of the dining room for MTD at a certain time to have dinner together....or am I wrong?

If you have early or late seating on your SeaPass card, then I don't think you are permitted to utilize the MTD section.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Sorry you are very mistaken.

I have had the pleasure of doing DD twice - on Quantum and on Anthem.

And I love it. As do others. As proven by the number of disappointed posts (by those who have done it ) on this thread.

I'm sure Royal would have not decided to scrap DD on Oasis class (and all but Quantum Class) if the DD feedback had been strongly positive. It seems Royal has listened to their guests and made a decision in favor of the majority.

You're right. But.....

Can't you just go to The Windjammer? After all, that's where those who like to do formal night to the extreme want to relegate those of us who don't.

If you do not enjoy deciding, or have no desire to plan, where you will eat on each night of your cruise months in advance RCI will not be forcing you to either do so or choose another cruise line.

That is a fallacy. Even with classic/traditional dining you have made a those decisions months in advance. You decided to let RCI choose which menu, table, tablemates, and waitstaff you will have. Always remember, a decision not to decide is also a decision. In this case, you decided to let someone else decide for you.

What happens if you miss your early/late seating dining time? Can you wait for a seat in the MTD section or are you prohibited from eating in the MDR that night? In reverse, if you miss your MTD time, can you reschedule or are you prohibited from eating in the MDR that night? Wouldn't seem fair if you could reschedule your MTD dining time but not your late/early seating.

That is a fallacy. Even with classic/traditional dining you have made a those decisions months in advance. You decided to let RCI choose which menu, table, tablemates, and waitstaff you will have. Always remember, a decision not to decide is also a decision. In this case, you decided to let someone else decide for you.

Ah, but you do not have to deal with a computer system to lock in those choices for both dinner and show times months in advance!:( Your only decision is choosing late/early or MTD and table size.

As far as menu choices, you still get to decide what you eat every night in the MDR or you can book specialty restaurants for your entire voyage. Choice is still available. Or, eat in the Windjammer if you wish to avoid dressing up.

The choices are still there.

MARAPRINCE

Your arguments are all leading a certain way, but not definitive. Many can be turned around and reversed if you prefer MDR. And in fact those arguments effectively criticise those who prefer MDR for the same reasons that you laud DD.

Excellent discussion. For the record, and if you have read any of my reviews or hundreds of posts on other DD threads, I love BOTH DD and traditional. I don't criticize Traditional dining whatsoever... I criticize those who criticize DD by offering nothing but negative conclusions... and thus "leading their argument a certain way" as you put it, but offering zero positive. There are obviously many positive aspects to DD, and now others have chimed in to agree. I'm not off base here.

So the change is really being forced to go to different venues each night to change your menu versus going to one venue each night to change the menu. Different sides of the same coin.

Yes! Again excellent discussion. I totally see your point. So let me offer you some true life examples that actually happened to me personally....

• In Silk I met a girl couple travelling together, we were friends the rest of the cruise (video and pics at IFly, met up at an excursion, etc). Next day another great couple on the group table and had a great time with new dinner mates... we spoke to each all the time when we crossed paths. At American Icon I met two sets of fellow Canadians and had a blast making a scene and hitting each other at bumper cars, and again being lucky enough to meet at an excursion. At one MDR I would not have had the opportunity to meet so many new cruise friends.
  • A couple I met in the CL booked 8 nights in The Grande once they got on board. They preferred that venue, kitchen and menu over the others, and were super happy with their choice for quality and selection.
  • Once on board I met the infamous Merion_Mom and her travel buddy Beachcruizer. About 6 days in they invited me to dinner at The Grande, I accepted, cancelled my dinner booking, she linked our reservation, and without knowing she had another D+ couple join us last minute. We had a table for 6 at 6:30pm with no problems. You just cannot do this with MDR.
  • Lastly, re your comments about repeat menus above... If you want lobster twice on one cruise you can book The Grande twice. Can you do that with MDR?

Look at the words I use,,, "you can do this","you can do that".... MDR you just can't do this/do that. DD = choices, MDR = fixed. DD = decision making, MDR = no decision making. DD = flexibitly, MDR = zero flexibilty.

There are pros and cons to both, and any cruiser may not like DD and that's perfectly ok! We humans all like different things.

Ah, but you do not have to deal with a computer system to lock in those choices for both dinner and show times months in advance!:( Your only decision is choosing late/early or MTD and table size.

As far as menu choices, you still get to decide what you eat every night in the MDR or you can book specialty restaurants for your entire voyage. Choice is still available. Or, eat in the Windjammer if you wish to avoid dressing up.

The choices are still there.

MARAPRINCE

Another good discussion, but in my experience the above is false. Reading some of the current Anthem reviews on the Quantum Class subforum, those reviewers are saying the following...

They had no problem walking up to a venue on any night and getting in within a minute or two. You do not have to plan or pre-book months in advance so this argument falls out of the window. Many have said had they known they didn't have to book they wouldn't have wasted their time on the horrible RCL cruise planner.

The argument is, once you get on board, not months in advance:

Do you want to choose each night where you want to eat each day?

Or do you want to have that choice made for you pre-cruise months in advance on the same table/same waiter/same seat/same tablemates each and every night, so that it's "easy" and you can feel secure in knowing you don't have to stress with decision making?

Choices vs. Premade decision. Both have their pros and cons depending what kind of person you are, if you're travelling with a family of 20 people, etc etc etc

I loved DD on Quantum and hope they will do it on Harmony!!!

Harmony being an Oasis class ship will not have DD.

Q: I HAVE CLIENTS BOOKED ON HARMONY OF THE SEAS, WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH THEIR EXISTING DYNAMIC DINING RESERVATION?

A: Guests on Harmony of Seas who have already pre-selected the Dynamic Dining Classic option for their

upcoming cruise will be assigned to either early or late seating to match their original choice of time. Guests

who have selected the Dynamic Dining Choice option will be assigned to the My Time Dining program.

Edited by ryano

Hoopster 95 - you speak far too much sense, every post of yours above has made me go YESSS!!

However, you will never ever get through to the people who are 'figuratively' wearing blinkers and holding their hands over their eyes saying - La la la very loudly ;)

I am one who was thrilled when DD was cancelled. We have a party of 10 who live in three different states going on an Oasis cruise in Feb 16. When DD was announced, my sister and I spent hours trying to figure out where we wanted to eat (as a group) each night. We use the dinner time for everyone to discuss the highlights of their day and of the various excursions we encountered. We literally spent hours looking at each restaurant and their respective menus. Most of the menus had far less choice than any MDR menu I've experienced. With some menus, two-thirds of the meal offerings were not palatable to me or someone in her family and we had not even brought in the remaining three couples for their opinions. Paying for an upscale restaurant was not an option. Then we heard nightmare scenarios where people could not make a reservation or the only reservation available conflicted with the show that was offered that evening. This was not how I wanted to spend my pre-cruise time worrying about what, where and when I was going to eat. With regards to past cruises in the MDR, I can name every waiter we've ever had as they provide some very memorable moments. They get to know us along with our likes and dislikes and we get to know them in return. The relationship built within that week provides some memorable moments. We would never come close to establishing any sort of relationship with the staff eating at a different restaurant. Don't you have a favorite restaurant or bar back home and the staff know your favorite table, or meal, or drink? You like the extra attention paid to you at this establishment and the little extra service provided. At the end of the cruise, our waiter gets rewarded for going above and beyond with extra tips beyond those charged by the cruise line. Would you do this every night at a different restaurant? I would not. I'm sure the staff was not receiving extra tips under DD as they received in the MDR. I am glad DD is being limited in its implementation. I don't have to spend hours coordinating with my party on where, when and what to eat as our table will be waiting for us at 6:00 each evening and the MDR menu always provides an abundance of choice.

Well said. We hated DD

Really stretching here aren't you...

So, RCI lets YOU decide what will be on the menu at those Dynamic Dining venues?

RCI lets YOU decide who will be waiting on you EVERY night (even the first)? I find it hard to believe that they send you the employee list, much less that you have taken the time and have the resources to thoroughly review the background on each person to make sure they are an excellent personality fit. I further find it hard to believe that you have access to the HR records of all those employees to see how their prior customers and superiors have evaluated them.

RCI lets YOU decide the exact table at which you will be seated EVERY night? (even the first)? Even if you do have the ability to choose the exact table on the first night...what on earth do you do if the table you really want is not being serviced by the exact staff member you want? Do they allow you to rearrange the work assignments? And exactly how does that work if EVERY passenger in that particular venue wants the same staff serving them that night? Do they prioritize their guest based on the C&A status, do they use the size of the party so they can accommodate as many guest as possible? Maybe they uses how much each person is spending for their cruise...after all, they need to keep those big wheels feeling warm and fuzzy.

What happens if you miss your early/late seating dining time? Can you wait for a seat in the MTD section or are you prohibited from eating in the MDR that night? In reverse, if you miss your MTD time, can you reschedule or are you prohibited from eating in the MDR that night? Wouldn't seem fair if you could reschedule your MTD dining time but not your late/early seating.

If you miss your allocated time (early or late) then I'm afraid you will have to go to the WJ or to a specialty restaurant. If you are even thinking that you are likely to miss your dining times I would say why even bother going for set dining times and go for the flexibility of MTD/DD.

With MTD/DD you 'can' book a time, but you do not have to. Therefore your question about missing your MTD dining time isn't an issue - as it is MTD you go to dine when you want.

And I'm afraid I have to disagree with your late statement. Yes, it is totally fair that you can reschedule MTD/DD but not the early/late scenario. With early/late they are set to serve so many meals within a set time. They then have to turn the tables for the next influx of diners. Because you have picked early/late you have entered into an agreement that you will be at your table at your allotted time. To expect just to turn up whenever you want is not how it works.

Edited by little britain

I'm sure Royal would have not decided to scrap DD on Oasis class (and all but Quantum Class) if the DD feedback had been strongly positive. It seems Royal has listened to their guests and made a decision in favor of the majority.

I think the different class of ships (and their designs) has a lot to do with this as well. So maybe DD is great on Quantum class and has been bad on Oasis class. Royal's decision to back off on DD on Oasis class doesn't mean they intend to back off on the concept (or back off forever). [in my opinion]

How you got from this:

To this, is a true wonder:

Really stretching here aren't you...

So, RCI lets YOU decide what will be on the menu at those Dynamic Dining venues?

RCI lets YOU decide who will be waiting on you EVERY night (even the first)? I find it hard to believe that they send you the employee list, much less that you have taken the time and have the resources to thoroughly review the background on each person to make sure they are an excellent personality fit. I further find it hard to believe that you have access to the HR records of all those employees to see how their prior customers and superiors have evaluated them.

RCI lets YOU decide the exact table at which you will be seated EVERY night? (even the first)? Even if you do have the ability to choose the exact table on the first night...what on earth do you do if the table you really want is not being serviced by the exact staff member you want? Do they allow you to rearrange the work assignments? And exactly how does that work if EVERY passenger in that particular venue wants the same staff serving them that night? Do they prioritize their guest based on the C&A status, do they use the size of the party so they can accommodate as many guest as possible? Maybe they uses how much each person is spending for their cruise...after all, they need to keep those big wheels feeling warm and fuzzy.

I got there on this line. It is your post is it not?

Seems to me that those who CHOOSE Dynamic Dining are also letting RCI make those choices. They, however, have to go through the trouble on making many more decisions...those of us who CHOOSE (love) the traditional MDR experience do not have to make those additional choices.

It really is simple to understand.

Edited by TC1957

Go back through the DD threads and you'll find a significant number of people discussing how they don't like the planning required or the fact that they have to decide where to eat weeks in advance. Just too many decisions that interfere with enjoying their vacations.

I can believe that. So when you break it down further, it's about:

-planning weeks in advance

-interfere with the enjoyment of a cruise

But don't forget:

-disappearing reservations

-organizational chaos

-mixed opinions on food/service

-boasting from the CEO that at least new cruisers don't mind

And, BTW, there are many of us who do find it "too difficult to dress up in the MDR." I'm sure you find the benefits of dressing up to be considerable and the difficulties minimal. Many of us disagree. We get no pleasure in dressing up and we find it to be both uncomfortable and pretentious. Therefore it is "too difficult" since the benefits are outweighed by the costs. Your MMV.

Then if we're going to talk about choices, RCL should introduce some sort of hybrid (additional free restaurants in addition to the MDR), and we all get to decide.

I look at DD, and it seems like a gimmick. 3/4 of the free menu options are just MDR type food anyways. Let's swap out a Hibachi Grill, a Spanish Tapas, a Brazilian Steakhouse, and keep the Asian Fusion, and now we have real choices.

I got there on this line. It is your post is it not?

Seems to me that those who CHOOSE Dynamic Dining are also letting RCI make those choices. They, however, have to go through the trouble on making many more decisions...those of us who CHOOSE (love) the traditional MDR experience do not have to make those additional choices.

It really is simple to understand.

Yes, that is my post. Let me explain. Some complained that DD made them decide what they wanted to eat months in advance. With classic/traditional dining, the menu order is set. If it's Tuesday, it's Jasmine. When you decide on classic/traditional dining, the menu you will have each night is known and you have decided on the menu you will have for dinner each night of the cruise. You're kidding yourself to think you have not made this decision.

Somehow, I must have confused you and for that I apologize. Don't you see that when you decide to let RCI make those choices for you, that those choices have been made?

Edited by RocketMan275

It certainly is. Now, exactly how did you become so confused? Don't you see that when you decide to let RCI make those choices for you, that those choices have been made?

You said that by not deciding, I decided to let RCI decide on my menu, table, tablemates and waitstaff. What you seem to not understand is that, with the possible exception of tablemates, even when you decide to go through the trouble of planning everything via DD you are also deciding to let RCI select your menu, table and waitstaff.

Therefore, we both let them make several decisions for us...I just don't have to mess with making many more decisions related to dining ahead of time.

Besides...if I don't trust them to make good decisions on those items I am an idiot for even booking a cruise on one of their ships.