Formal nights on board. Are they strictly enforced?

blenda

There is definitely a difference depending on the itinerary. In the South Pacific or the Caribbean, not so much, but in Europe most of the people in the MDR were quite "properly" dressed. There were many Europeans on board and they seem to care about their appearance and like dressing up. Alaska was somewhere in between.

You can probably get into the MDR wearing "less than proper" attire, but when everyone around you is dressed up, you will kind of stick out. (and get noticed) If you don't care, then so be it. If you do, go to another dining venue. You have choices.

Now, as for the fashion police, they are CC members that are telling you like it is. The people calling us fashion police are those that do what they want and want everyone else to do it their way.:D

Well said. After awhile it becomes obvious.

Well said. After awhile it becomes obvious.

Said it before, and I'll say it again. Among some guys, it seems an article of pride to look as unimpressive as possible. And hey - they succeed admirably!

I am undertaking my first Island Princess cruise with my husband from Barcelona in August.

We are travelling Europe for six weeks using several forms of transport, including sailing. We want to travel as lightly as possible so would appreciate not needing to carry a suit and dress shoes to be used twice, if we can.

I have travelled on several other cruise lines where the formal nights are optional but that is not specified here.

Does anyone know if you would be turned away from the main restaurant for not having formal attire?

You will not be turned away, just don't wear shorts.

I am undertaking my first Island Princess cruise with my husband from Barcelona in August.

We are travelling Europe for six weeks using several forms of transport, including sailing. We want to travel as lightly as possible so would appreciate not needing to carry a suit and dress shoes to be used twice, if we can.

I have travelled on several other cruise lines where the formal nights are optional but that is not specified here.

Does anyone know if you would be turned away from the main restaurant for not having formal attire?

Formal night is not enforced all that well. Males can wear a pair of pants such as dockers and a button up long sleeved shirt and shoes (athletic shoes will work). Women have a lot bigger range of choices with cocktail dresses, pants suit and even flowery flip flops for shoes. Have a great TA and don't worry about it.

I can read simple English, to me it is absolutely clear what is expected in the way of attire on formal evenings. I always bring along my tux or a dinner jacket....beyond that I will not any longer allow myself to be drawn into a debate as to what is appropriate attire for formal nights.

I can read simple English, to me it is absolutely clear what is expected in the way of attire on formal evenings. I always bring along my tux or a dinner jacket....beyond that I will not any longer allow myself to be drawn into a debate as to what is appropriate attire for formal nights.

YES!!! I am the same, but will also often bring my kilt and formal accoutrements if I'm driving to the embarkation port (because of weight). Otherwise, the tux is lightweight, so fine if we are flying, as we are next month to UK. Not formal, but evening wear. Seems to be close enough.

Let's talk shoes. How many of you really check out everyone's shoes. I mean really. Personally I have foot issues and wearing anything with heels is a killer. I'm to the point I wear black tennis/runner type shoes under my formal attire. On non formal night, same shoes. I am NOT going to suffer for two days because a complete stranger has an issue with my shoes. So, OP, forget the shoes. Bring something black to wear and no one will ever notice or care. When my DD got married she had on her pretty shoes and then for everything else she had tennis/runner shoes on that my mom had made super fancy for her. No one really noticed until she showed them.

Just got back from the Star Princess (Alaska) and the dress policy was definitely not enforced. I was packing light (carry-on only) and so I did not bring a suit jacket. I did wear a dress shirt and tie and did not feel under dressed at all. I was somewhat surprised by a lot of men in jeans and casual collar shirts (short sleeved) and nobody said anything. Perhaps because it was Alaska folks were more casual. I doubt anyone was denied access to the dining room based on what I saw inside.

Just got back from the Star Princess (Alaska) and the dress policy was definitely not enforced. I was packing light (carry-on only) and so I did not bring a suit jacket. I did wear a dress shirt and tie and did not feel under dressed at all. I was somewhat surprised by a lot of men in jeans and casual collar shirts (short sleeved) and nobody said anything. Perhaps because it was Alaska folks were more casual. I doubt anyone was denied access to the dining room based on what I saw inside.

This was our experience too when we were on the Star June 2014 from San Francisco to Alaska....we even told our first time cruising friends to bring a suit just in case and they basically laughed at us about how casual the dress was on Formal Nights!

Let's talk shoes. How many of you really check out everyone's shoes. I mean really. Personally I have foot issues and wearing anything with heels is a killer. I'm to the point I wear black tennis/runner type shoes under my formal attire. On non formal night, same shoes. I am NOT going to suffer for two days because a complete stranger has an issue with my shoes. So, OP, forget the shoes. Bring something black to wear and no one will ever notice or care. When my DD got married she had on her pretty shoes and then for everything else she had tennis/runner shoes on that my mom had made super fancy for her. No one really noticed until she showed them.

Black tennis shoes is all I wear about the ship at night, formal or not.

Between heat, plane flights and more sodium in our vacation diet than we are used to at home, my feet swell and run a gamut of sizes and widths. I am not going to bring 8-12 pairs of shoes. My 50 pound weight limit suitcase plus carry on is plenty, even for vacations of a few weeks or longer.

I have mobility issues, walking with a cane when I'm not being pushed in a WC, so I need low or no heel shoes with good sole traction. I also need shoes that breathe a bit and are lightweight.

Here's one shoe I have many versions of...mostly 5 star reviews for comfort and a bit of style in there, as with these S.C. variety which I think would be more than adequate on cruises, formal nights included. With maxi dresses and pantsuits I doubt if anyone would have an issue, and you would have some lightweight, slightly stretchy gored footwear, actually something to smile about. They come in N, M, W and WW widths with sizes running the gamut from 5 to 12.

b76191f0-ab0c-446c-82ad-f58dbe08fb5e_zpsqeawjprd.jpg

Wearing these on a half dozen cruises, haven't noticed any marking up of decking, plus they slip on and off very easily when traversing airport Security.

Edited by kcfoxy
Traveltime by Easy Spirit.

Between heat, plane flights and more sodium in our vacation diet than we are used to at home, my feet swell and run a gamut of sizes and widths.

At least on the ship, that does not have to be much of a problem.

Speak with your headwaiter the first evening. He will work with you each evening to plan the next day's dinner menu to have the foods you want prepared with no added salt.

If you wish, he can do the same for breakfast and lunch in the dining room. (Lunch in the dining room is only on days you are not in port at lunch time.)

I had some knee surgery in January and heels just haven't worked for me on my past two cruises. I've worn dressy flats on formal nights and have never felt out of place.

Edited by mek