Formal nights on board. Are they strictly enforced?

blenda

women can wear what ever they want so it is really a from of sexism for the men....:D

SO TRUE! My husband wore a suit- minus jacket- and was turned away (only once). Not actually turned away- offered a jacket they had on hand. He went back to the room for his and I went to the table.

Followed a woman(50's) in t-shirt, baggy pants and flip flops going to her table. Asked my guide (not argued) about the double standard and I was told that they are not allowed to censor woman.

DH wants to wear a Hawaiian Shirt plus slacks on formal night for upcoming Hawaiian cruise. Has anyone done this?

That is considered a tux in Hawaii and will get you in the best restaurants and hotels in HI.....Princess should be OK with it too on a HI cruise....

I have witnessed men being turned away in the main dining room on formal night. It depends on how strictly the maitre d' enforces the policy.

I have also seen men go to formal night in casual shirts and blue jeans. Again, it depends on enforcement of the dining policy. It is a gamble to ignore the stated policy/request. Be prepared to be turned away at the door. On our last Australian cruise, people were turned away. Our male tablemates were on an extended trip after the cruise and had niot packed a jacket. Both of them elected to avoid rejection and went to the buffet on all three formal nights.

Just got back from the Star Princess (Alaska) and the dress policy was definitely not enforced. I was packing light (carry-on only) and so I did not bring a suit jacket. I did wear a dress shirt and tie and did not feel under dressed at all. I was somewhat surprised by a lot of men in jeans and casual collar shirts (short sleeved) and nobody said anything. Perhaps because it was Alaska folks were more casual. I doubt anyone was denied access to the dining room based on what I saw inside.

Of all the cruises we have done, we have found Alaska to be the least formal. Even less so than Hawaii. I didn't even take a tie last time.

That is considered a tux in Hawaii and will get you in the best restaurants and hotels in HI.....Princess should be OK with it too on a HI cruise....

I noticed quite a few men in their really nice HI shirts on formal nights on my first Hawaii cruise. I was surprised, but our waiter told us that it is formal wear in the islands. It seemed maybe akin to someone wearing a kilt on formal night--regional/cultural dress. There were some gorgeous shirts on display!

They should not let you into the MDR because you will be dressed completely inappropriately - but there is a good chance that you will be allowed in.

DON

Who determines what is inappropriate? Cc posters or the staff on the ship? I will go by the staff on the ship,as will many others. As the staff are the only ones that matter.

I noticed quite a few men in their really nice HI shirts on formal nights on my first Hawaii cruise. I was surprised, but our waiter told us that it is formal wear in the islands. It seemed maybe akin to someone wearing a kilt on formal night--regional/cultural dress. There were some gorgeous shirts on display!

It should be the same in the Caribbean.

I have also noticed it seems to depend on the destination as to the formal attire standards. That being said what about Panama 18 nights?

I saw the same degree of formality on a Panama cruise as on any other. Princess doesn't have guidelines for every possible itinerary. The rules are the same no matter where the cruise is going.

Who determines what is inappropriate? Cc posters or the staff on the ship? I will go by the staff on the ship,as will many others. As the staff are the only ones that matter.

The information on the Princess web site, in the Patter and posted at the dining room is consistent and says what is appropriate.

What you are saying is some staff will let you get away with clothing that is not appropriate. Letting you in the dining room does not make that clothing appropriate.

I am undertaking my first Island Princess cruise with my husband from Barcelona in August.

We are travelling Europe for six weeks using several forms of transport, including sailing. We want to travel as lightly as possible so would appreciate not needing to carry a suit and dress shoes to be used twice, if we can.

I have travelled on several other cruise lines where the formal nights are optional but that is not specified here.

Does anyone know if you would be turned away from the main restaurant for not having formal attire?

My initial response is that the Formal Night attire is not strictly enforced and that's a shame. The responses posted above all indicate various allowances to the suggested attire. I've seen polo shirts and running shoes worn in the MDR without a question. To me dressing up a couple nights on a voyage is part of the cruising experience and even though I can't wait to take all the stuff off after returning to the cabin, I still like dining with my wife who always looks spectacular in her formal dress.

The information on the Princess web site, in the Patter and posted at the dining room is consistent and says what is appropriate.

What you are saying is some staff will let you get away with clothing that is not appropriate. Letting you in the dining room does not make that clothing appropriate.

For that venue at that time yes it does. Again who determines what is appropriate for the occasion? On the ship it is the Princess staff despite what many wish.

Edited by Potstech

I have also noticed it seems to depend on the destination as to the formal attire standards. That being said what about Panama 18 nights?

On our Panama Canal cruise I was surprised to see how many tuxes there were-I would say 30-40% of the men were in tuxes and the rest in suits. I did not see many, if at all that were not in a jacket and tie.

For that venue at that time yes it does. Again who determines what is appropriate for the occasion? On the ship it is the Princess staff despite what many wish.

Often that decision is based on avoiding negative comments by the passenger about the staff member's performance in post cruise reviews or even during the cruise itself. ("xxx at the yyy dining room had an attitude that completely ruined my cruise experience on more than one evening. He should not have been promoted to his current position.")

...What you are saying is some staff will let you get away with clothing that is not appropriate. Letting you in the dining room does not make that clothing appropriate.

I am sure the maître d' who I caught rolling his eyes after seeing a group in ripped jeans, shorts and flip-flops being seated in the MDR at dinner on the Golden last fall would agree with you.