Formal nights on board. Are they strictly enforced?

blenda

I am undertaking my first Island Princess cruise with my husband from Barcelona in August.

We are travelling Europe for six weeks using several forms of transport, including sailing. We want to travel as lightly as possible so would appreciate not needing to carry a suit and dress shoes to be used twice, if we can.

I have travelled on several other cruise lines where the formal nights are optional but that is not specified here.

Does anyone know if you would be turned away from the main restaurant for not having formal attire?

This is a controversial topic. Probably the least a gentleman can get away with is a long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants. Most will be in suits or even some tuxes in the mix. Ladies can be less formal, but still something casual like khakis and a tank top will not work. As said before, you can always go to another place to eat if you feel out of place or are turned away. Buffet, specialty restaurants, room service or pizza maybe.

Just eat in a different venue other than MDR on formal nights and there is no issue at all. It's not like Cunard where the entire ship is formal.

Edited by Thrak

Just eat in a different venue other than MDR on formal nights and there is no issue at all. It's not like Cunard where the entire ship is formal.

Just so that I have this right: *only* the main dining room if formal on formal nights? That will make my (packing) life easier.

No, formal nights are not usually "enforced" in any of the dining rooms (There are several "main" dining rooms with the same dress request and menu.)

However, particularly in Europe, the vast majority of passengers respect the request to dress up. I rarely see a gentleman without a jacket in the dining room on formal nights with almost all in at least dark suits with quite a few tuxes. In some regions, you might see people dressed more casually but not often in the Med.

Some Maitre d's will ask gentlemen without jackets to put one on so it's a gamble.

Edited by Pam in CA

Just so that I have this right: *only* the main dining room if formal on formal nights? That will make my (packing) life easier.

Yes. Main dining rooms are formal on those nights. The rest of the ship including the buffet, specialty restaurants, etc. are "smart casual" like every other night.

Thanks for that feedback. It sounds like if we are prepared to take the risk we may get into the main dining room with shirt, tie and black trousers. At least that saves a jacket.

I would prefer to eat in the MDR if we can so we will give it a try.

Thanks for that feedback. It sounds like if we are prepared to take the risk we may get into the main dining room with shirt, tie and black trousers. At least that saves a jacket.

And for women a very nice blouse and pants (or skirt) or a pants suit are very acceptable.

Have your husband rent a tux from the company that Princess uses. I have done this before and just brought my patient leather shoes. It's a great service. You make reservations on line and if necessary they can make some changes on the ship.

Who wouldn't to have a nice formal portrait taken when you're both dressed up. Something that you wouldn't do often and is special to have.

Tom:)

Have your husband rent a tux from the company that Princess uses. I have done this before and just brought my patient leather shoes. It's a great service. You make reservations on line and if necessary they can make some changes on the ship...

I've done this also with good results; I rented the entire tux package less the shoes. I don't like the idea of wearing rental shoes, and found you can "get away" with almost any black shoes (short of athletic styles) that you bring along.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

To further explain formal night dress on a Med cruise

MDR: Almost all men in formal, suit & tie, sport coat & tie. A few in shirt & tie no jacket. A few with jacket & no tie. Women in nice outfits, slacks or dress. No shorts for men or women.

Sabatini's & Bayu Steak House: Smart Casual every night

Any other place on the ship is casual.

You will find some that after they dine they change into more casual attire. There are no dress codes other then the DR's.

I take an old pair of shoes that should have been thrown out. With a bit of polish I can make them acceptable for the formal nights, then bin them before leaving the ship. Have done this on many trips to various places around the world.

We were on a 21 day cruise in Europe in Feb 2015. We are from the US and were also traveling by plane, train, ship, etc before and after our cruise and decided to only take carry on luggage. It was wonderful, we saw so many people struggling with big luggage. So, we were not able to pack any formal wear and it was just fine. I think that maybe 1/2 the ship was formal and the rest were casual. I never felt out of place at all.

Don't worry about it. We were never turned away. I mean, we weren't in jeans, but I wore nicer black pants, nicer blouse, black flats. My husband wore a nice black turtle neck shirt, and nicer pants. We were the most comfortable ones there!!!

Have fun, happy sailing!

The very simple answer is that NO it is not strictly enforced. Anything from a long sleeve dress shirt and tie to a tux is allowed.

Wnd you can eat in the Main Dining room that you are assigned to. There is no need to eat in some other venue on formal night. Have a great cruise wnd njoy your meals in a venue you select.

We tend to do 20 plus day cruises on Princess and this is all I ever wear.....never been a problem....never asked to wear a jacket.....I have seen people in the MDR in polo shirts and jeans on Formal Nights....it is a highly over-rated and exaggerated event on CC IMHO! Of course.....women can wear what ever they want so it is really a from of sexism for the men....:D

That's right. The formal nights are a good opportunity to try the specialty restaurants.

Or eat in the buffet.

My DW does not like getting waited on, and prefers to make her own salad. She somehow manages to lose weight on every cruise we have been on.

So, on one of the two formal nights, we eat at the buffet.

The only fashion police are on cruise critic. If you're dressed nicely you won't have any issue with the main dining room. Nicely would be pants and polo type shirt or button type shirt (no shorts or t shirts). More people are dressing down because of luggage restrictions and wishing to travel lighter.

I am undertaking my first Island Princess cruise with my husband from Barcelona in August.

We are travelling Europe for six weeks using several forms of transport, including sailing. We want to travel as lightly as possible so would appreciate not needing to carry a suit and dress shoes to be used twice, if we can.

I have travelled on several other cruise lines where the formal nights are optional but that is not specified here.

Does anyone know if you would be turned away from the main restaurant for not having formal attire?

They are optional and Princess provides you with alternative dining on formal nights if you don't wish to participate. They ask you to dress appropriately if you wish to eat in the main dining room. This decision will be yours to make. If you are comfortable being dressed in the minority, than by all means enjoy the dining room. But if you will be uncomfortable when the majority of diners are dressed for the evening, then you can decide to have dinner at the other venues. You can dress as comfortable as you want and go anywhere on the ship.

We enjoy one formal night on each cruise and eat in the dining room. Any other formal nights, we eat elsewhere. :)

Now, as for the fashion police, they are CC members that are telling you like it is. The people calling us fashion police are those that do what they want and want everyone else to do it their way.:D