Road Scholar Group

Stratheden

I was on the same cruise with them a few months ago and never even noticed them on the ship. The only way I know they were there is that someone told me. That group seems to take a lot of cruises.

Yes, on two cruises. Road Scholar (previously known as Elderhostel) limits their groups to something like 18 per leader (guide), and on both my cruises there was only one group. They do have private lectures onboard and private tours onshore. In my experience the lectures were held on one of the smaller meeting rooms such as the Hudson room, with no impact on other passengers. It would be very easy to not even know such a group was onboard in my experience.

I must say that they had some excellent onshore guides. On one of our cruises several of the ports were very, very small communities so we ran into the Road Scholar groups and overhear their guides. Very interesting but we, of course, could not stand around listening.

I happen to know that there will be at least one Road Scholar on my next cruise and I did not even give it a second thought. They are very serious folks in general who want to maximize what they learn from the experience. Others may have different experiences.

ADDED: I just read dmcfad2 comments. To add to it. Road Scholar has hundreds of trips they lead each year, most being land trip. Some involve actual travel (land or sea), combining lectures, discussions, walks, perhaps hikes, etc. Some are mainly classroom time, usually with at least two lectures per day. While I have not gone on any of their trips, many of my friends are serious Road Scholar participants.

Edited by wander

Have cruised with this group before and never really noticed them until I mistakenly popped into one of their lectures. They allowed me to stay and it was a great lecture on the history of an upcoming port. Some of the people in the group were amazing as had traveled to just about everywhere and had wonderful stories.

Yes, on two cruises. Road Scholar (previously known as Elderhostel) limits their groups to something like 18 per leader (guide), and on both my cruises there was only one group. They do have private lectures onboard and private tours onshore. In my experience the lectures were held on one of the smaller meeting rooms such as the Hudson room, with no impact on other passengers. It would be very easy to not even know such a group was onboard in my experience.

I must say that they had some excellent onshore guides. On one of our cruises several of the ports were very, very small communities so we ran into the Road Scholar groups and overhear their guides. Very interesting but we, of course, could not stand around listening.

I happen to know that there will be at least one Road Scholar on my next cruise and I did not even give it a second thought. They are very serious folks in general who want to maximize what they learn from the experience. Others may have different experiences.

ADDED: I just read dmcfad2 comments. To add to it. Road Scholar has hundreds of trips they lead each year, most being land trip. Some involve actual travel (land or sea), combining lectures, discussions, walks, perhaps hikes, etc. Some are mainly classroom time, usually with at least two lectures per day. While I have not gone on any of their trips, many of my friends are serious Road Scholar participants.

Thank you for the explanation of this group.

There was a small Road Scholar group on our May repo cruise. I believe there were 22 people in the group. It was a small group, regardless. The only thing they did was use the Wajang Theatre for some of their lectures. The only reason I noticed is that, on that cruise, Bingo was often held there right after their lecture and we had to wait for them to leave.

I doubt there will be any issues with this group on any cruise.

You are welcome.

I need to change one part of my comments. I just went to the website and they actually offer thousands (like 5,000 to 6,000) of programs not hundreds.

Edited by wander

I believe it is "Rhodes" Scholar, not "Roads". An intellectual group. Nothing to do with asphalts, other than the fact that they probably drive on it.

Sorry, you're incorrect in this case. It used to be known as Elderhostel as posted above. Try googling it for further information.

I believe it is "Rhodes" Scholar, not "Roads". An intellectual group. Nothing to do with asphalts, other than the fact that they probably drive on it.

These are two different groups entirely. This thread is about the non-profit organization once called "Elderhostel".

It is definitely ROADS not Rhodes. They sent me info on a cruise around Cuba.

Tamps Girl,

If you did not know about the actual company Road Scholars I can understand your question.

I would suspect (just my opinion) that the title Road Scholars, which came into being as a new title for Elderhostel, was selected quite specifically as a take-off on the Rhodes Scholars program.

The base of all Road Scholars programs is a learning experience. Most (all?) revolve around a series of lectures (usually twice a day) on one or more topics. The theme or themes of each program are probably the reason most folks select the program they do. However, location of the program can certainly be a factor and the topics frequently fit (usually?) with the location. Many are very active physically while many others mainly involve sitting in lectures.

I have just noticed that our next cruise has a group "Road Scholar Group" on board.

Has anyone been on a cruise with this group? How large is the group? Did they disrupt the normal activities at all?

They are nudists.....

It is Road Scholars - found this on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Scholar

Road Scholar is an American not-for-profit organization that provides educational travel tours primarily geared to older adults.

Road Scholar now includes 5,500 programs, dividing them into the categories of theme-based, inter-generational, outdoor adventures, service learning, adventures afloat, and independent city discoveries.

Sir PMP - too funny ... just thinking about the fact it is geared toward the elderly brings a chuckle!

Edited by take us away

A Road Scholar group was on our Amazon Explorer Prinsendam cruise in 2013....a well traveled, interesting group of people. Their on board guide was invited to give a lecture about the Amazon, open to all...he was very good. Road Scholar often uses HAL ships in conjunction with their tours.

Karen

Can someone tell me where I can check to see if there are any charter groups scheduled for my upcoming cruises?

Thanks,

Helen

These are the ones that are known about. The list is added to whenever someone has new information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2231393

Edited by colbe

Thanks so much for the info. I get to cruise with the Scientific American Travel Group. Should be a barnburner!!

Helen

I am sooooo worried about travelling with a knitters group. Do you think that they will 'yarn' all day and all night? Also worried that they will 'needle' me if I have to share a table in the MDR. I am guessing that they will have a very structured 'pattern' for each day.