Upsell fairy called - would you take it?

Hi, just got a call from my TA. RCL called her with an upsell offer for our upcoming cruise - its a 7-day Med cruise on the Rhapsody. We are in a GS and can go to an OS for $200 pp more. I'm tempted...its just me and my mom on this one. I have a feeling mom will say don't waste money, but at the same time, is the OS so much better than the GS? Curious as to what you guys think. I know its subjective and all that - I don't want to waste money if its not that much different, having said that it might be fun to upgrade to the OS. So torn right now.

Edited by Baby_Bear

Hi, just got a call from my TA. RCL called her with an upsell offer for our upcoming cruise. We are in a GS and can go to an OS for $200 pp more. I'm tempted...its just me and my mom on this one. I have a feeling mom will say don't waste money, but at the same time, is the OS so much better than the GS? Curious as to what you guys think. I know its subjective and all that - I don't want to waste money if its not that much different, having said that it might be fun to upgrade to the OS. Torn!

If you want a full size dining table inside the stateroom, then go for the OS. Note also that the OS bed cannot be split in two.

If you want a full size dining table inside the stateroom, then go for the OS. Note also that the OS bed cannot be split in two.

Bob, is the GS a shower in the bath tub, and the OS have a shower seperate from the tub? This might/could have effect as well for the OP.

Hi, just got a call from my TA. RCL called her with an upsell offer for our upcoming cruise - its a 7-day Med cruise on the Rhapsody. We are in a GS and can go to an OS for $200 pp more. I'm tempted...its just me and my mom on this one. I have a feeling mom will say don't waste money, but at the same time, is the OS so much better than the GS? Curious as to what you guys think. I know its subjective and all that - I don't want to waste money if its not that much different, having said that it might be fun to upgrade to the OS. So torn right now.

I would stay put, would prefer individual beds unless traveling with my spouse.

Bob, is the GS a shower in the bath tub, and the OS have a shower seperate from the tub? This might/could have effect as well for the OP.

Correct. Some have said that they prefer the shower in the tub because the separate shower in the OS is too small. The OS has a bidet too.

Correct. Some have said that they prefer the shower in the tub because the separate shower in the OS is too small. The OS has a bidet too.

I was wondering about mom stepping up and into the tub. I know my mom can, but some might have a harder time. I did forget about the bidet.

Edited by A&L_Ont

That would seal the 'No' deal for me, if I was traveling with my mom.

Edited by sr4mjc

Thanks all! I called my mom and left her a voice mail so I'll discuss with her what she prefers.:D

Thanks for raising the issue of the separate tub and shower - I will ask her. In general, my parents prefer the walk in showers, its easier on their knees, so my mom may prefer that. We all prefer showers anyway. No separate beds is not ideal though. I'll tell her the pluses/minuses and let her decide.

Would you guys think $400 for the two of us is a good value?

If I remember correctly the balcony in a GS is Larger then the OS on some ships. The setting area on the OS is larger and thy take it out of the balcony on some ships. I would look very carefully at the deck plan.

Having the shower free standing is a real plus. The climb up to the shower in a GS is a big step. You can request a stool from what I understand.

The location if the cabin may be a little better if that matters to you.

My opinion is $400.00 I a bit steep UNLESS you are physically unable to get in the shower of the GS.

Have a great cruise what ever you choose!

Just my two cents. I love the GS. Have never done an OS but really want to. Only $200 per person more is a good deal. However a Med Cruise is very port intensive. You will be spending very little time in your suite. In the Caribbean I might consider it, but $400 can buy a lot of stuff on the ship. All you'll really be getting is the bigger cabin. I doubt the bigger balcony will be of too much use for 2 people on a cruise where most days are in port all day. I would save the money (unless the tub/shower combo is really important to your mom).

Thanks all! I called my mom and left her a voice mail so I'll discuss with her what she prefers.:D

Thanks for raising the issue of the separate tub and shower - I will ask her. In general, my parents prefer the walk in showers, its easier on their knees, so my mom may prefer that. We all prefer showers anyway. No separate beds is not ideal though. I'll tell her the pluses/minuses and let her decide.

Would you guys think $400 for the two of us is a good value?

It's not a bad upsell price for a 7 day Med cruise.

$400 isn't much IMO but as others said it is port intensive. You will have to judge the money part. If the shower made the difference for my mom I'd pay the difference, even if the bed didn't seperate. If her knees might be sore at the end of the long port days the last thing I'd want her to do is "climb" into the tub, over the easy access into a shower.

Update - spoke to Mom and answer was NO. Part of it is, the cruise is my treat to her, and I think like all good moms, she's worried that her daughter's becoming a spendthrift :D She actually echoed what some of you guys said - the Med is so port intensive, we may not get the full value of the OS. Also, at my insistence, we're spending more on private tours everywhere and I think that's as far as she's willing to go, lol.

BTW - I checked the balcony dimensions and the balcony for a GS is 110 sq ft while the OS balcony is 116 sq ft. Surprising why its not bigger but I think they make up for it living space wise.

Bottom line - I think we will be perfectly happy in the GS. I do have the box checked for an automatic upgrade but I won't hold my breath - there are 11 other GS rooms and I'm sure someone will be willing to bite. There are 3 OS left, so not a lot.

I think that's a wise decision. As already stated, I really don't think you'll get the full benefit from the OS. If you were going from a JS to OS that's a totatlly different story...but I think you'll be happy saving the $400 and still be sailing in a beautiful GS!

Have a great cruise!

We had the high tub in our JS, so I would be concerned for you Mother. Even I had to make sure I stepped high enough and held unto the towel rods when stepping out. I would stay with the GS, but be aware of the high tub and if she will need assistance getting into & out of the tub.

Thanks. I should clarify - while both my parents prefer the walk in showers, they don't have any actual problems climbing in and out of tubs. I would have taken the OS if that were the case. We've usually had suites on Carnival and I'm assuming the tubs are the same height, which my mom had no problem with. Regardless, I'll be within calling distance if she needs help :)

Thanks. I should clarify - while both my parents prefer the walk in showers, they don't have any actual problems climbing in and out of tubs. I would have taken the OS if that were the case. We've usually had suites on Carnival and I'm assuming the tubs are the same height, which my mom had no problem with. Regardless, I'll be within calling distance if she needs help :)

Have an amazing time with your mom. You will make some wonderful memories.:)

Just my two cents. I love the GS. Have never done an OS but really want to. Only $200 per person more is a good deal. However a Med Cruise is very port intensive. You will be spending very little time in your suite. In the Caribbean I might consider it, but $400 can buy a lot of stuff on the ship. All you'll really be getting is the bigger cabin. I doubt the bigger balcony will be of too much use for 2 people on a cruise where most days are in port all day. I would save the money (unless the tub/shower combo is really important to your mom).

This is how I feel. I would keep the GS and put the $400 towards other expenses (especially shore excursions, which can be expensive in the Med).

Papa, I totally agree with you about the port-intensity of the cruise. If the additional $400 total is no issue for the OP then I say, great. Go for it. But for some like myself, it wouldn't be worth the additional money if I'm going to spend nearly everyday away from the ship. That Owners Suite is pretty awesome not to be able to get my complete money's worth from it.

Just for kicks and giggles I looked up your cruise to see what the difference was between the 2 cabins if you were going to book today. Well the difference in about $650pp so a pretty good deal at $200pp. Now there is a senior rate showing for $2359pp for an owners suite so if you paid that or more for your grand suite you may be able to upgrade for free.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt its a good deal...just for us, the extra space (cos that's really the difference, all the suite perks are the same for an OS vs GS) are not as needed on a port intensive Med cruise. I did call my TA back and tell them no and she said she would try RCL's revenue department on Monday to see if we could get the upgrade for less. Either way, I'm perfectly happy really.