What Is casual country club dress

micmse2003

I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information given. It was most helpful. My husband has chosen no suits or jackets or formal wear. He is quite ecstatic about just being casual. For the last cruises I had him wearing tuxedos and formals. Now I can pack more clothes so will not be washing.

Also thanks on information about speciality menus. I will make sure when we board that we talk to someone about his dietary needs. NO FAT. You are all so helpful and friendly. I really appreciate all your past expierences. We will be on the South Pacific Marina on February 4th. Not to early to start planning. Thanks again.

Maybe they should stop showing those paid models in the brochures it is too confusing :D..

A few years ago, there was a famous (infamous?) photo of the paid models in the brochure, in their glam wear -- with the husband of a well-known Cruise Critic member in the far background, wearing a baseball cap. We had great fun teasing him, but it demonstrates reality versus marketing.

A few years ago, there was a famous (infamous?) photo of the paid models in the brochure, in their glam wear -- with the husband of a well-known Cruise Critic member in the far background, wearing a baseball cap. We had great fun teasing him, but it demonstrates reality versus marketing.

LOL

Jancruz1

I will make sure when we board that we talk to someone about his dietary needs. NO FAT.

If he has special dietary need you should contact the Special service dept ahead of your cruise or have your TA do it

A note will be placed on his file

You will just need to ask the Chef when dining at the buffet or Waves

Lyn

I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information given. It was most helpful. My husband has chosen no suits or jackets or formal wear. He is quite ecstatic about just being casual. For the last cruises I had him wearing tuxedos and formals. Now I can pack more clothes so will not be washing.

Also thanks on information about speciality menus. I will make sure when we board that we talk to someone about his dietary needs. NO FAT. You are all so helpful and friendly. I really appreciate all your past expierences. We will be on the South Pacific Marina on February 4th. Not to early to start planning. Thanks again.

I received a phone call practically the minute we got to our cabin. They called to confirm my dietary needs and to ask if I had any questions. I had emailed my request months prior. For the Med. I always pack a casual linen jacket for my DH. Our FPolynesia cruise was far more casual and I did not pack a jacket, more breathable activewear. It is not too early to plan your private excursions, the popular ones fill up fast. Have a nice cruise & look forward to your review.

1st Cruise on Oceania (Baltics): We both wore jackets and long sleeve shirts to dinner - though no ties. That tapered towards the end and we just wore long sleeve dress shirts and dress pants, except we wore our jackets to La Reserve 2x and Polo 1x (we took the trouble to fly with them so why not?). The Jackets came in handy since we were going to the ballet and orchestra in St. Petersburg and wanted to look "dressed" for such a fine affair. :)

2nd Cruise on Oceania (British Isles): We both wore long sleeve shirts and dress pants to dinner, except for La Reserve. We brought our coats for our time in Amsterdam before (an orchestra performance) and after (dining at Noma in Copenhagen).

3rd cruise (Australia & NZ) we realized that honestly as long as you look good (no jeans/shorts/etc.) we could get away with, and feel comfortable in a nice (pressed) polo shirt and slacks with a nice belt and matching loafers anywhere around these parts. I think this is the country club look for men and seems to be the trend and you'll look just fine in such.

I say all that to say, bring a coat if you are going to be doing anything onshore (before or after, or during the rare overnight) that would warrant it - and then it's up to you - you won't look out of place with it on (though a tie might be a little much). But men can wear a long sleeve or even polo type shirt with slacks and dress shoes and will fit in just fine.

But men can wear a long sleeve or even polo type shirt with slacks and dress shoes and will fit in just fine.

..or even a nice short sleeve Hawaiian (as in Tommy Bahama) shirt and slacks will be fine in any restaurant (in warm weather) - strictly a personal preference and comfort level.

..or even a nice short sleeve Hawaiian (as in Tommy Bahama) shirt and slacks will be fine in any restaurant (in warm weather) - strictly a personal preference and comfort level.

And we frequently do just these in warmer climates - and these shirts are untucked which helps towards the end of a long cruise. :) Didn't even think to mention that. Thanks Paul. :)

EDIT = just spent way too much at tommy bahama as they "gave me" $200 of gift cards that expired today from my last purchase of around $500 - anyone who thinks that is cheap stuff is highly mistaken and never shopped nor wore them. It's high-end casual wear averaging $110 per shirt. I would not go with some of the more ostentatious patterns but in general, their stuff looks very, very good and would fit in just perfectly for a warmer cruise (or even for a less tropical if you get the "standard" patterns and colorings).

Edited by corpkid

And we frequently do just these in warmer climates - and these shirts are untucked which helps towards the end of a long cruise. :) Didn't even think to mention that. Thanks Paul. :)

EDIT = just spent way too much at tommy bahama as they "gave me" $200 of gift cards that expired today from my last purchase of around $500 - anyone who thinks that is cheap stuff is highly mistaken and never shopped nor wore them. It's high-end casual wear averaging $110 per shirt. I would not go with some of the more ostentatious patterns but in general, their stuff looks very, very good and would fit in just perfectly for a warmer cruise (or even for a less tropical if you get the "standard" patterns and colorings).

Exactly - Hawaiian, more like Tommy Bahama rather than Hilo Hattie :D (although some of their stuff is very nice as well)

Just wondering if nice designer jeans are acceptable for men in the evening? My husband has several pairs of expensive Hugo Boss jeans; either dark wash, black or charcoal. Are these allowed in the dining room in the evening? He doesn't wear khakis so if they're not allowed it will be mostly dress pants that I'll be packing or I'll be out shopping for some khakis for our cruise out of Cape Town in November.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Years ago we never would have even considered wearing jeans to dine out but dress codes have relaxed so much even at nice restaurants that we dine at. I love dressing up and so does Ted but this will provide a bit more wardrobe flexibility.

Years ago we never would have even considered wearing jeans to dine out but dress codes have relaxed so much even at nice restaurants that we dine at. I love dressing up and so does Ted but this will provide a bit more wardrobe flexibility.

Exactly THIS. You can dress a little up or a little down and it's just A-OK. This is a line that doesn't really revel in the onboard "dressy"... More about the places the ship goes. If you think you look ready for a steak house type dinner, you are OK.

Another consideration is where and when you are going. If it's the Med in July or August, jeans will be very uncomfortably hot ashore. Better to have Khakis or, better still, linen pants for multiple uses and launderability.

Another consideration is where and when you are going. If it's the Med in July or August, jeans will be very uncomfortably hot ashore. Better to have Khakis or, better still, linen pants for multiple uses and launderability.

Definitely agree about weather but we'll be in South Africa and although first glimpse makes you think hot, my brother when he was there for an extended time told me it was a bit on the cooler side at times and inside the ship air conditioning plays a factor. I love linen pants but Ted dislikes them as he feels linen gets too wrinkled too quickly then doesn't look presentable lol. I'll definitely pack an assortment of bottoms for him; it won't be exclusively jeans ;)

Great thread - thanks for all the dressing tips. I got it - no suits, sports jackets, ties, dresses necessary! Awesome - now there will be room for more clothes that we feel more comfortable in!!

I believe there is a vocal minority on cc that pushes jeans, which is different than what one sees from the vast majority aboard ship. On our last cruise in Feb on the Marina, they were turning people away from the GDR for wearing jeans, and I never saw anyone attempt it in the Specialties.

If the male chooses to go to La Reserve, and doesn't wear a sport jacket, he will probably find himself the only there choosing to not do so. In the specialties typically about 50% of the men wear jackets. Not required, just saying what is often typical.

In total forthrightness, I have never been on a Carribe cruise on Oceania. I hear that those cruises may more casual than what one typically sees on cruises to other locales. So one may want to consider the actual cruises referenced when discussing attire.

Many people eat in the Terrace, which does a very nice buffet dinner, for the sole purpose of being able to wear jeans, shorts, t's, etc. to dinner. For those nights you don't want to "dress" for dinner, you may find it the more appealing option.

Demographics are different on every cruise. We were on the same cruise last Feb as Pinotlover and observed that this cruise seemed to be the most "Dressy" of any Oceania Cruise we have been on (7 counting this one). I can testify for sure that the Caribbean cruises tend to be more casual and the summer European cruise tend to be a bit more casual that the spring and fall cruises.

Bottom line - wear what is comfortable for you (or whatever your spouse tells you to wear ;).

Robbie

THANK YOU ALL! We are new to Oceania and all your helpful posts on this thread answered many questions for us...especially about sandals (all I wear since we live in Florida) and about jackets and ties for my husband.

Country Club Casual CAN mean a very different dress code than is apparently enjoyed on Oceania! Our club in Florida requires jackets in the MDR and our northern club enforced jackets & ties in the bar after 6 PM! We would have brought way more luggage than needed (and I do the packing)...so many thanks again for your experienced posts!

What about dress on an Alaska cruise? Are people dressed more casually in the GDR because of the locale? Can I wear white pants for dinner or would that be inappropriate? Would love to hear from those who have been on O in Alaska. We will be on the last cruise of the season departing Vancouver 8/23. Head is spinning thinking about the packing.

What about dress on an Alaska cruise? Are people dressed more casually in the GDR because of the locale? Can I wear white pants for dinner or would that be inappropriate? Would love to hear from those who have been on O in Alaska. We will be on the last cruise of the season departing Vancouver 8/23. Head is spinning thinking about the packing.

Well they may not be in shorts especially for dinner but if you want to wear white pants go for it

I would check the average temps in the area for daytime wear might need a jacket or rain jacket for shore

Well since our cruise ends before Labor Day you should be fine. But actually you'd be fine anyway with white pants if that's what you want to wear. You'd also be okay with jeans, as long as they are not casual jeans, no matter what anyone else says the posted dress code trumps all. I would recommend for anyone that does want to wear non casual jeans to print a copy of the dress code and present it to anyone on board that tells them otherwise.

I personally don't wear jeans to dinner on Oceania, but have seen many ladies with nice dressy jeans at dinner, and even a few men. As a man I personally would never wear jeans with all that embroidery and sparkles, but obviously others mileage does vary. The only jeans I would wear would fall in the casual category. I'll save those for daytime in cooler climates.

We were on an early season Alaska cruise on the Regatta (May/June), in the Med a couple of times, and a transatlantic on Riviera. To be honest I didn't notice much difference in the dress of passengers from cruise to cruise. I think on a more port intensive cruise you may find more heading up to the Terrace and therefore be more casual (with some just going up as was, as it were, wearing whatever they had on during the day). We had beautiful weather in Alaska (70s and sunshine) most days, but let's face it the temperature indoors on the ship will be the same wherever you cruise. Quite cool with the AC.

Anyhow we like to change for dinner or we dine in suite if we can't be bothered to change.

But that was not your question.

Yes wear white pants, I saw lots (full length, 3/4 turn ups, capris, palazzo styles) and I certainly wore mine! This "can I, can't I wear white pants" (trousers) relating to a date in the calendar really makes me laugh - no offence intended. Just wear what you blooming well like! :)

I take my white and my cream trousers on every cruise regardless. And wear them! And if HM the Queen can wear winter white .....

For us it's a big No to jeans, regardless of how smart or designer they are in the MDR! I once saw an older guy exit the MDR wearing those workwear jeans with bib and braces - and white trainers and a white T shirt! I was looking for his pitchfork! ::rolleyes: That's the problem with "allowing jeans" as this is what someone's interpretation was. I'm not sure if he was turned away or had finished dinner.

I just don't understand the modern habit of wearing or wanting to wear jeans everywhere.

Edited by fairbourne