When someone leaves the ship in handcuffs

longhorn2004

I once asked a bobby (English police man) the time. Does my opinion count?

[emoji3]

Hey, you're warm and breathing, are registered with CC, so you can post an opinion. No guarantee you'll live through the results! :D How thick is your skin?

Perhaps someone knowledgeable can answer a question for me. About ten years ago, we were sailing the So Caribbean from San Juan and had to wait in the terminal 4 hours due to someone smuggling drugs onboard the previous cruise.

We were fortunate that we arrived early enough to get a seat inside the terminal but hundreds of other passengers stood outside in the sweltering heat in July while crew members served cold water. There were a number of pax that passed out from the heat.

Anyhow, was the delay a result of getting drug sniffing dogs to check every deck on the ship?

Sorry to veer off topic..

Perhaps someone knowledgeable can answer a question for me. About ten years ago, we were sailing the So Caribbean from San Juan and had to wait in the terminal 4 hours due to someone smuggling drugs onboard the previous cruise.

We were fortunate that we arrived early enough to get a seat inside the terminal but hundreds of other passengers stood outside in the sweltering heat in July while crew members served cold water. There were a number of pax that passed out from the heat.

Anyhow, was the delay a result of getting drug sniffing dogs to check every deck on the ship?

Sorry to veer off topic..

Probably a combination of the search and the LEO's taking statements from crew and officers.

Probably a combination of the search and the LEO's taking statements from crew and officers.

Thanks for the info! As annoyed as I was, I felt so sorry for the pax out in the heat and the poor crew dealing with added duties on their turn around day.

Edited by celebrity

I don't know what position aquahound is in so I can't comment on his expertise. I can only state that I worked in the justice system for many years, including extradition, and the process is quite clear for a lawyer or a layman.

Well then let's me see if I can put this into laymans terms, although I have a feeling it'll still fall on deaf ears. I owe this to Aquahound since he was defending me to begin with. I'm a retired Florida Highway Patrol trooper and U.S. Customs Agent. Prior to pinning on the badge, I worked in court administration and prisoner transport. When someone like the woman with the 1991 warrant is arrested in one county, in this case Brevard County, she has to be physically moved to the county of her warrant to answer for the charges, in this case Orange County. The process of Orange County retrieving her from Brevard and moving her to Orange is called extradition. There is no other legal term in the state of Florida to call it. Same goes for 2 other states I worked in - Louisiana and Ohio.

So please stop posting inaccurate information. Like someone else said in this thread, there is a difference between the original legal definition of a word and the modern practical use of it.

So, nothing specific about Florida. Much different than California, which as you know has its own odd laws.

I researched the laws of Florida and found nothing that indicated they used an in state extradition/rendition process between counties. As i said before, I am unaware of any state that has such a process. The extradition process is in the constitution and was created just for state to state and country to country.

But I think this subject has run its course as far as I am concerned.:)

I once asked a bobby (English police man) the time. Does my opinion count?

[emoji3]

Thank goodness English bobbies are normally unarmed or according to a poster here, you risk being blown away by some gung ho coppers for bragging right.

So please stop posting inaccurate information. Like someone else said in this thread, there is a difference between the original legal definition of a word and the modern practical use of it.

As a side bar, up until very recently California had "lynching" on it's books. Originally the law was to protect a black prisoner from being drug out of jail and lynched. Recently this law was used to arrest someone in a protest, who was trying to pull another protester, from police custody. This was in public, not in jail.

Since this happened, the individual (the "lyncher") was released from jail and the particular law was erased from the books.

Edited by Treven

Thank goodness English bobbies are normally unarmed or according to a poster here, you risk being blown away by some gung ho coppers for bragging right.

I only wanted to know the time!

[emoji3]

I think both sides are correct. While not strictly extradition in legal terms, intra-state transfers of offenders appears to be referred to as extradition. I've done a quick google search, and found several sites that refer to extradition between counties, and even found a job description of the Bay County Extradition Coordinator, which includes the duties of handling extradition with other counties spelled out.

I think we're parsing legal terms here, but then again, I've never been in the law enforcement or legal arenas, nor have I ever played one on TV.

Yep, definitely parsing legal terms here. I can say with first hand knowledge that my state (which is not Florida) does not extradite or use the term extradition when it's intrastate (county to county). If an offender is picked up on a warrant from another county, they do not appear before the local judge, and have no option to either waive or fight the transport (as they do in interstate extraditions). The arresting county simply notifies the other county, "Hey, we got your guy. Come get him." The issuing county tells them when they will be there, or else says nah, let him go, we don't have the time or money to transport him back here. That's it. BUT this is one state. Obviously all 50 have their own terms and laws.

Edited by LrgPizza

The arresting county simply notifies the other county, "Hey, we got your guy. Come get him." The issuing county tells them when they will be there, or else says nah, let him go, we don't have the time or money to transport him back here. That's it. BUT this is one state. Obviously all 50 have their own terms and laws.

That's pretty standard in all states. It's just a matter of the term used by that state to define the process. In Florida, every individual county has an extradition officer in either their warrants division or in the courts. This is how funds are allocated for the retrieval, transport and all the logistics involved. In your state, if they don't use the term extradition, what term do they use to define the retrieval of a prisoner from another county? Just curious.

That's pretty standard in all states. It's just a matter of the term used by that state to define the process. In Florida, every individual county has an extradition officer in either their warrants division or in the courts. This is how funds are allocated for the retrieval, transport and all the logistics involved. In your state, if they don't use the term extradition, what term do they use to define the retrieval of a prisoner from another county? Just curious.

Hello,

Not the person you quoted...just giving how I typically referred/responded to your scenario. Since the NCIC Manual defines extradition as: surrender from one state to another, and therefore a warrant where only in-state pick-up is authorized, and NO Extradition would entered in the required field, most in-state agencies I dealt with would simply use the terms "pick-up" or "transfer" in a hit confirmation request/response. And if/when I took the wanted subject in front of the local judicial officer, he/she would also usually use the terms of "pick-up" and or "transfer" when explaining the process to the subject. However, that is not to say that some agencies didn't have individuals who would use the term extradition...all a matter of training etc, and the the intent/meaning was clear regardless of the term used.

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

Hello,

Not the person you quoted...just giving how I typically referred/responded to your scenario. Since the NCIC Manual defines extradition as: surrender from one state to another, and therefore a warrant where only in-state pick-up is authorized, and NO Extradition would entered in the required field, most in-state agencies I dealt with would simply use the terms "pick-up" or "transfer" in a hit confirmation request/response. And if/when I took the wanted subject in front of the local judicial officer, he/she would also usually use the terms of "pick-up" and or "transfer" when explaining the process to the subject. However, that is not to say that some agencies didn't have individuals who would use the term extradition...all a matter of training etc, and the the intent/meaning was clear regardless of the term used.

BBL

Yep, it's usually pick-up or transfer. There really isn't any formal term, but "extradition" is never used.