Curtis Stone Restaurant and Chef's Table to Debut Across Princess Cruises Ships

LauraS

This is a positive development - I like his approach and it will be interesting to see the new items. I had some of his food at a charity event last year, it was quite good.

That said, this means one of two things will have to happen. An existing venue on the ship(s) will have to time share or change over entirely to the new concept. (On the Royal/Regal you could maybe do Alfredo's or part of the buffet, but that will not work on most others). So which goes? Sabatinis or the steakhouse?

Edited by Loonbeam

Here's the Princess news release: http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/07/Princess-Cruises-Announces-Exclusive-Celebrity-Chef-Partnership-with-Curtis-Stone.html#.VbA8Q6zbKUk

From the news release: More program details, including the menu items, specialty restaurant name and concept, as well as a complete roll out schedule will be announced shortly. For more information, visit http://www.princess.com/curtis-stone

The Princess Curtis Stone site states:

Guests are invited to enjoy three special offerings developed by Chef Stone, available exclusively on Princess including:

•Crafted by Curtis† menu items available in the main dining room fleet wide

•A new specialty restaurant^ concept and menu designed by Chef Stone

•The ultimate Chef Stone culinary experience, Chef’s Table by Curtis Stone

†Crafted by Curtis menu items offered in the main dining rooms will debut in the Fall of 2015.

^Available on select ships only, Chef Stone's specialty restaurant will debut in December aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Mexico.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is a positive development - I like his approach and it will be interesting to see the new items. I had some of his food at a charity event last year, it was quite good.

That said, this means one of two things will have to happen. An existing venue on the ship(s) will have to time share or change over entirely to the new concept. (On the Royal/Regal you could maybe do Alfredo's or part of the buffet, but that will not work on most others). So which goes? Sabatinis or the steakhouse?

My wife will have a fit if Sabatini's goes away.

"The rollout will continue on Coral Princess' Panama Canal cruises and then Sun Princess in Australia. Curtis Stone's Chef's Table experience will debut across the fleet beginning in early 2016."

I hope it replaces Bayou Café in time for our late February cruise on the Coral. It will be interesting to see where they put this on the Emerald as we love both Sabatini's and Crown Grill on that ship.

Here's the Princess news release: http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/07/Princess-Cruises-Announces-Exclusive-Celebrity-Chef-Partnership-with-Curtis-Stone.html#.VbA8Q6zbKUk

From the news release: More program details, including the menu items, specialty restaurant name and concept, as well as a complete roll out schedule will be announced shortly. For more information, visit http://www.princess.com/curtis-stone

The Princess Curtis Stone site states:

Guests are invited to enjoy three special offerings developed by Chef Stone, available exclusively on Princess including:

•Crafted by Curtis† menu items available in the main dining room fleet wide

•The ultimate Chef Stone culinary experience, Chef’s Table by Curtis Stone

†Crafted by Curtis menu items offered in the main dining rooms will debut in the Fall of 2015.

^Available on select ships only, Chef Stone's specialty restaurant will debut in December aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Mexico.

Have not been impressed with him or the shows he has had over the last 5 years or so.

Have not been impressed with him or the shows he has had over the last 5 years or so.

I've never heard of him so I don't have any opinions but wonder if changing from an Italian to Australian chef will be an improvement...or not. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've never heard of him so I don't have any opinions but wonder if changing from an Italian to Australian chef will be an improvement...or not. :confused:

I do think change is needed but I agree not sure its in the right direction.

Time will tell. :)

From Chef Curtis' website, "equal parts comfortable and luxurious". Prix-fixe menu ranges from $90 to $135 per person depending on the featured seasonal ingredient. That does not include wine pairings, which I feel are a necessary component of fine dining.

High end dining at sea can be wonderful. We truly enjoyed Remy on Disney Dream, and would most likely try to get a reservation at this new venue.

Will Princess find enough cruisers willing to pay for such an experience?

It seemed to me when eating at Crab Shack on Ruby that that divided-off section of Cafe Caribe may have been designed for easy retrofitting to a separate restaurant. Question is what the impact will be of losing some buffet seating, but I can't imagine either Sabatini's or Crown Grill being removed from ships as relatively new as Emerald and Ruby.

Edited by fishywood

I couldn't imagine sabitini's going - this is the epitomy of what princess is - and fits Princess to a T

What I suspect might happen is that sabitinis's and the steakhouse share alternate nights with each other in the same restaurant like they did /do on their small ship fleet ie serve on alternate nights

This could well apply especially on their sun class ships and some of their grand class ships where space due to renovations is a premium ie Diamond

above I guess is pure speculation until we see more information.

I doubt it will be that much on ship.

I'm thinking $35 for the specialty restaurant and prices similar to current for the Chef's table..

From Chef Curtis' website, "equal parts comfortable and luxurious". Prix-fixe menu ranges from $90 to $135 per person depending on the featured seasonal ingredient. That does not include wine pairings, which I feel are a necessary component of fine dining.

High end dining at sea can be wonderful. We truly enjoyed Remy on Disney Dream, and would most likely try to get a reservation at this new venue.

Will Princess find enough cruisers willing to pay for such an experience?

^Available on select ships only, Chef Stone's specialty restaurant will debut in December aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft.Lauderdale to the Caribbean, and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Mexico.

Since it appears that the restaurant will first appear only on the Emerald and Ruby, my guess is that it will share space or nights with Sabatini's on Deck 16. I'm also thinking that the $25pp surcharge will be a thing of the past. The placement of a 'high end' restaurant in a section of the buffet seating area would be a poor choice by Princess.

Available on select ships only, Chef Stone's specialty restaurant will debut in December aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Mexico.

Cool! I'll be on the Ruby next February!

Paula

I do think change is needed but I agree not sure its in the right direction.

Time will tell. :)

I am optimistically hoping that it will not only be a new menu but also an improved menu. ;)

I did not sail on Princess before the 1988 merger with Sitmar which had a fresh pasta course so I do not know if Princess had the nightly pasta course prior to the merger. I will be very unhappy if they no longer offer a nightly pasta course because most nights I enjoy an appetizer size serving of their tasty pasta.

In the information about Chef Stone there is a photo of him tossing pasta which is encouraging to me. :p

image.jpg.c967ea9cd3f6b831941816da3277a9c4.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer