Create your specialty restaurant!

I gotta tell you folks, And Im not being rude, But I live in the Melting pot of New York State. 3hrs to Buffalo, 3Hrs to NYC-Jersey. We have some of the best NY style Pizza and some Of the BEST wings known to man !! I really dont think they can duplicate that!! Like I said Im not trying to be rude but..... I think my fellow NewYorkers,Jerseyites will back me on this. Dan

I used to make this suggestion to the Carnival board all the time because I thought their food had gone down hill in the MDR. So I'll make it here as well since the MDR has been only so-so on my last few RCI cruises.

Do away with the MDR all together and discard the pretence that dining in thje MDR is some sort of fancy thing that it once was. Turn the MDR into 3 or 4 specialty restaurants. On the larger ships you could turn them into maybe 6 separate specialty restaurants. When cruisers book their cruise they have 2 choices. Book your cruise and select a different specialty restaurant each night (for a fee of course) but they get a discount on the cruise or they elect to sail and eat only in the Windjammer at a higher price. Anyone in the buffet only group wishing to try one of the specialty restaurants after boarding is free to do so at a fee.

So many threads about specialty restaurants, and dining in general, I thought this might be fun. What would you like to see in a specialty restaurant? I get that some people don't like them and would prefer to see them gone. But there are also a lot of people (myself included) who enjoy them, but lament some shortcomings. So, what would you like to see?

I'll go first: I'd love to see a specialty restaurant offering fresh seafood. I hate that I'm spending my vacation floating through waters teeming with wonderful fare, stopping in port after port, but they only serve frozen fish loaded at the home port. I think it would be so cool to have a fresh seafood restaurant featuring items from the various ports of call.

Something along the line of Benihana is what I would like to see (yes, I know, NCL has this on some of their ships).

I gotta tell you folks, And Im not being rude, But I live in the Melting pot of New York State. 3hrs to Buffalo, 3Hrs to NYC-Jersey. We have some of the best NY style Pizza and some Of the BEST wings known to man !! I really dont think they can duplicate that!! Like I said Im not trying to be rude but..... I think my fellow NewYorkers,Jerseyites will back me on this. Dan

Well anyone from anywhere could say that about their "local" foods (seafood, cajun, whatever........:rolleyes:). what's your point really? Ships shouldn't serve anything but burgers?:rolleyes: Yeah New York pizza can be good, and wings, but so what. Lots of regional foods are good everywhere.

I used to make this suggestion to the Carnival board all the time because I thought their food had gone down hill in the MDR. So I'll make it here as well since the MDR has been only so-so on my last few RCI cruises.

Do away with the MDR all together and discard the pretence that dining in thje MDR is some sort of fancy thing that it once was. Turn the MDR into 3 or 4 specialty restaurants. On the larger ships you could turn them into maybe 6 separate specialty restaurants. When cruisers book their cruise they have 2 choices. Book your cruise and select a different specialty restaurant each night (for a fee of course) but they get a discount on the cruise or they elect to sail and eat only in the Windjammer at a higher price. Anyone in the buffet only group wishing to try one of the specialty restaurants after boarding is free to do so at a fee.

Kinda sorta sounds like DD. :eek:

Thats not my point at all thanks. My point is if your gonna do it You might wanna find people acustomed to making those types of foods that are localized to certain parts of the country/world, otherwise it will suck, and people will complain.

So like Quantum class. A select list of specialty restaurants are included at no extra charge, and then they have the usual for extra fee specialty restaurants. It was pretty nice and we enjoyed it. You could pick seating with just your party, or to sit with a random group. We found both options enjoyable. We're looking forward to the MDR experience on our upcoming short cruise because we've never done that. Always nice to try something new.

Things I would like to see:

Casual sit down or take out:

A Chicago Italian Beef Place (of course with Vienna Beef Chicago Hot Dogs too)

Casual sit down:

Mexican Restaurant (not just snacks like Ritas) - Tamale, Enchilada, Burrito, and Chimichanga platters. Combos.

OR Chicago Pizza Restaurant similar to Gino's East or Gioradanos.

Business Casual sit down:

Seafood or Caribbean Theme or Cajun Theme

Well anyone from anywhere could say that about their "local" foods (seafood, cajun, whatever........:rolleyes:). what's your point really? Ships shouldn't serve anything but burgers?:rolleyes: Yeah New York pizza can be good, and wings, but so what. Lots of regional foods are good everywhere.

Michigan could serve its famous humble pie they get dished up every November :D

Michigan could serve its famous humble pie they get dished up every November :D

Actually my Dad was an OSU grad so I root for them every year. It was sweet to see them beat Alabama and Oregon recently after people were saying they didn't belong!:)

Dad used to say it was a shame when Michigan played Notre Dame, cause' one of them had to win.............

And don't assume lots of people in Michigan are UofM fans, it's just the few arrogant a$$'s here and there. :)

Edited by bouhunter

Either a Buffalo wild wings, or maybe an Anchor Bar franchise (originator of the buffalo wing)

Or at least be able to order some buffalo wings at the bars or through room service, Sorrento's etc. I would love to be able to have some buffalo wings with my Coronas! :cool:

Actually my Dad was an OSU grad so I root for them every year. It was sweet to see them beat Alabama and Oregon recently after people were saying they didn't belong!:)

Dad used to say it was a shame when Michigan played Notre Dame, cause' one of them had to win.............

And don't assume lots of people in Michigan are UofM fans, it's just the few arrogant a$$'s here and there. :)

Funny! As big of an OSU fan as I am, when it comes to the bowls, I do cheer for the U of M figuring if we beat them, whomever they beat we could beat.

Things I would like to see:

Casual sit down or take out:

A Chicago Italian Beef Place (of course with Vienna Beef Chicago Hot Dogs too)

After a slight disagreement over Chops, we can be in complete agreement here. One of my all time favorite restaurants is a greasy hole in the wall near Ohare called GENE AND JUDES for the dogs. Possibly Grand Ave in Franklin Park? In the case of the Chicago Italian Beef we are in complete agreement again.

Relating to dogs, I've be happy if they added the Vienna brand, or a couple aorund the US I have found that come close (not surpassed) at the Dog Haus on the ships that have it, but then that smell would require fresh cut fries. Boy that would drive the people nuts in the boardwalk balconies on the Oasis class. I might get the balcony just for that smell.

Benji's NY Deli has all you can ever want to eat made right at your table customization of your favorite Deli Sanwiches with Gourmet Toppings , Condiments and Sides such as Pita Chips, Hot Hard Pretzel Bites, Bagel Chips Kosher Dill Pickles. All tables come with Family Style Borscht, Matzo Ball Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup.

Sides include Potato Salad, Sweet Potato Fries, Cole Slaw. The menu offers Blintzes, Matzo Brie as well as our World Famous Cheesecakes. Fancy Apple Strudel or Rugaleh to Mom's Chocolate Decadent Brownies or German Chocolate Cake. Let us entertain you with New York while Broadway Dancers become your Waitstaff and sing songs from your favorite shows that you can request.

From Mama Mia to Fiddler On The Roof while eating our dessert and drinking our specialty beverages as the afternoon or night winds down. Each dining experience is different and filled with surprises that you would only expect from the Royal Caribbean WOW experience.

Watch out for the New York atmosphere with the fast paced action of our deli. You will leave fuller than you came guaranteed.

$30 per person.

Edited by travelplus

How about Peter Luger's Steakhouse, Border Grill, Gordon Ramsey/Todd English/ Jamie Oliver Pubs, Le Pain Quotidien(Belgium Upscale Bakery with Lunch/Dinner Items excellent Breakfast items too).

Illy's Coffee.

After a slight disagreement over Chops, we can be in complete agreement here. One of my all time favorite restaurants is a greasy hole in the wall near Ohare called GENE AND JUDES for the dogs. Possibly Grand Ave in Franklin Park? In the case of the Chicago Italian Beef we are in complete agreement again.

I have been to Gene and Judes. Good Stuff. Superdawg too. :)

Johnny's Italian Beef in Elmwood Park is a must have too. I lived in the Chicago burbs for a decade so I have been lucky enough to go to all the famous beef places in the Chicago area such as Al's, Mr. Beef, Jay's, Johnny's, Portillos, etc.

Relating to dogs, I've be happy if they added the Vienna brand, or a couple aorund the US I have found that come close (not surpassed) at the Dog Haus on the ships that have it, but then that smell would require fresh cut fries. Boy that would drive the people nuts in the boardwalk balconies on the Oasis class. I might get the balcony just for that smell.

In places where you cannot get Vienna Beef hot dogs I think Hebrew National (available most everywhere) is as good or better. Many of the Chicago hot dog places do their own hand cut fries and I always thought there was an opportunity there to standardize the fries the way they did the frank (Vienna Beef) and the bun (Rosen). However, doubt that will ever happen at this point.

And yes, we are definitely in agreement on Italian Beefs and Chicago Dogs. :)

One of my favorite places I like to go to is Sonny`s BBQ Pit in Florida. So a restaurant like that would be great. Not been there for years. :(

Please Don`t all Flame me but I really would like a Dennys on board as well. :D

Being in the UK we do not get to go there as often as anyone in the US. :)

Since chops is onboard I would like that to open for breakfast up till maybe 2pm. Nothing better than steak and eggs early or later if you sleep in. And, maybe a baked potato bar with fresh sides starting at around 11am. Come on chops

Edited by setsail

I can definitely relate to that. A good wing joint or sports bar food type place would be good for my blue collar tastes. Something with a real fresh, not frozen, deep fried, not baked honest to God Buffalo wing.

That would be wonderful, items such as potato skins, mozzarella sticks, cheese curds, chicken finger, and jalapeno poppers.

###

I'd love to see more outdoor or open air specialty dining. Although this is probably a crapshoot, because wind and weather make it hit or miss. Also, finding outdoor space that isn't crowded. Central Park works great for this, but I'm not sure if there is a good option on a non-Oasis Class vessel.