Hump Cabins

Looking into a Canada/NewEngland cruise on the Serande out of Boston for next October.

Thoughts on hump cabins? That's a good thing...right?

They have a more dramatic view from the balcony, and are conveniently located near the elevators and stairs.

The view from a hump cabin is great. Personally, because the wind is so strong while underway, I would not book another hump. Because you are on a part of the ship that projects out, you get the full impact of the wind. I am in a huge minority on this. I just found that standing on the balcony, in what felt like gale force winds, was not to my liking.:o

On Radiance class, some of the "edge of the hump" cabins are deeper than the center humps...so check deck plans...it shows pretty much the difference in size.

If you're sitting, the wind isn't bad at all. Anywhere you stand against the railing, the wind will be strong.

I LOVE the Hump Cabins on the Serenade and Jewel. Have sailed on the Serenade twice, both times in cabin 7602 -- perfect cabin! Have sailed on the Jewel 3 times, twice in cabin 7602 and this past May/June in cabin 9594. Only booked 9483 because I had decided to book late and that was the 'best' hump cabin left. While the balcony was bigger, it felt smaller to me because of the angle. I also wasn't a fan of standing at the rail and being able to see directly into the next cabin without even trying.

I stand at the balcony rail a lot and don't recall ever having strong winds.

So my vote is -- book a hump cabin!:)

The view from a hump cabin is great. Personally, because the wind is so strong while underway, I would not book another hump. Because you are on a part of the ship that projects out, you get the full impact of the wind. I am in a huge minority on this. I just found that standing on the balcony, in what felt like gale force winds, was not to my liking.:o

Yes, this, humps are horrible, never ever book one. Wind, and don't even get me started on the rain!

Now go book a non-hump so there are plenty left over for me ;). FYI: I prefer the center hump or aft so I can watch the wake, and it probably helps out with the wind.

We have been in hump room 8594 three times, Brilliance twice and Jewel once. We were in 9584 this past March on the Serenade. For our next two cruises we have again booked 8594. We love the hump rooms, they are very quiet and not much traffic past the room. It is also very convenient to the staircase.

I'd like to try a hump cabin sometime but I worry about the loud music coming from the centrum, especially on the smaller ships. We go to bed rather early and I wonder if the noise might bother us. Also, is it quieter on the elevator side than the side with most of the hump cabins?

Thanks for your input - Johnette

I'd like to try a hump cabin sometime but I worry about the loud music coming from the centrum, especially on the smaller ships. We go to bed rather early and I wonder if the noise might bother us. Also, is it quieter on the elevator side than the side with most of the hump cabins?

Thanks for your input - Johnette

We had a hump cabin on the Brilliance and would never book one again because of the noise from the Centrum entertainment. Some say they close the fire doors and it makes it better but they didn't close them on our sailing. Noise went until either 11pm or midnight everynight. We were on the opposite side from the elevators so can't answer that question.

Looking into a Canada/NewEngland cruise on the Serande out of Boston for next October.

Thoughts on hump cabins? That's a good thing...right?

Enjoy it! We also had the hump on the same cruise. In fact, we try to get it every time we cruise. We enjoy the larger balcony and its location to the steps and elevators. Have a wonderful time.

The view from a hump cabin is great. Personally, because the wind is so strong while underway, I would not book another hump. Because you are on a part of the ship that projects out, you get the full impact of the wind.

Our favorite hump on the Radiance class is 9576. Close to the elevators and atrium but on the starboard side with a partition to block any noise from them; D1, so it has a full size couch instead of a love seat; big overhang from the pool deck that provides protection when it rains; and best of all, a large forward-facing balcony with both a "regular" part like the non-hump/non-aft D1s that's out of the wind and a pie slice-shaped "extra" part that has a lounger and juts out with a great view.

Just don't book it before me whenever the new schedules are released. :D

9576-1.jpg.43021ea0588e98f6e4d5419653d052c1.jpg

9576-2.jpg.d8092cd99ae879cad9667dd7cf2bf9c8.jpg

9576-3.jpg.42784c23eb40bfa120337dc302c2c250.jpg

I totally agree with Eugene's post above. This is our favorite cabin on Radiance class ships. It is quiet ,convenient to most locations on the ship and has a wonderful larger than standard balcony. If this cabin (9576) is available, grab it!!

Enjoy your cruise!:)

We're hump-ers! Our upcoming sailing is the first time we've booked cabins not on the hump and believe me, I'm disappointed (group rate, only balcony cabin option was a different category). I can't promise you'll have no issues with wind, but I don't recall any in my group ever complaining about it. I mean, expect some wind -- you are sailing on the ocean. But our experience was nothing excessive. We had hump cabins on Radiance, Mariner and Freedom... so maybe there could be a difference due to ship design.

The main reason we like this location -- the view! Nothing obstructing, front to back. Also, close proximity to the central elevator bank is a bonus. Enjoy!

We'll be in our first "hump" balcony cabin next month onboard Serenade of the Seas in Norway. (7600). I'm looking forward to it, but hope the wind isn't too much worse than a normal balcony as it will be chilly out there as it is.

I'm not worried about noise as it is rare we are back in our cabin early. We're probably contributing to the noise in the centrum.

I found the hump cabins dreary because the length of the balcony shut out light in the cabin. It felt like the balcony was just a long tunnel. the balcony was usually wet and uncomfortable.

I would agree with you, but not all hump balconies are like this (see my post above on cabin 9576). Some hump balconies are large wedge-shaped and do not restrict light into the cabin at all. You have to look at a deck plan which are usually fairly accurate at showing the shape of any given balcony. Also, FYI, many aft balconies are those long IMO tunnel-like affairs which I do not care for. To each his/her own, I guess !!! Happy Cruising!:)

• 5 months later...

I just got 8586 on Serenade. Not sure how deep the balcony is, but it doesn't appear to be like the very deep ones that are across the hall. I don't care about the shade because I can't sit out in the sun for long periods, so this will be great for us - especially if a lounger will fit in the space.

I just got 8586 on Serenade. Not sure how deep the balcony is, but it doesn't appear to be like the very deep ones that are across the hall. I don't care about the shade because I can't sit out in the sun for long periods, so this will be great for us - especially if a lounger will fit in the space.

Here's a picture of those front humps on the Radiance class. The balconies on decks 9 and 10 stick out farther than those on 7 and 8, so they are a bit larger. I've seen pictures of 8586 (highlighted in the picture) both with and without loungers, so one should fit. I'd ask your cabin attendant for one if it doesn't have one when you get there.

radiance_8586.jpg.8c0c9b268d4001eff37ac1e3c67a6eb7.jpg

No matter where you are you will have wind on a balcony. Hump or no hump. Every sailing will be different. If your questioning a hump cabin, try it once you might like it.

We had a hump cabin on Navigator and loved it!

Happy Sailing!

JoeRum

I had 9078 on the Jewel big balcony, like a tunnel. The worst part was the noise from the solarium in the evenings. I would hesitate to book another hump near a solarium. The parties go on for a few hours. I could sing along during the 70's party.

I like to go to bed around 10 or 11pm, so I can get up early the next morning. For me it wasn't a good fit. For a party person it would be great. Good location near the elevators, central, 2 nice lounger on balcony.